What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Collectively, A Thread To Celebrate Our Kids Athletic Accomplishments (2 Viewers)

Wait.... wha?
lol.... it was a picture of the bottle with a quote along the lines of "Who wants that D".... they banned her for selling drugs, which violates their TOS. :shrug:
I mean, we all know that there is a Vitamin D epidemic in this country! Kids are going crazy on that stuff!
All things considered, I thought it was a kind of decent joke 😂
Wet Leg concurs.
Got the big D

So, first tournament for my 7-year-old.

Two mom's on our team got into it after the last game. One saying the other was too negative and the sideline should not be "coaching" and all this stuff. The "negative" one was a little crude at times, but she actually apologized to the mom, but the other mom kept going at her, dropping F-bombs etc. Then I was paranoid a bit that she was going to come after me, because I would at times tell my son to "get back" or "22 is behind you" or "get up!" or "not in the middle" LOL. But I certainly was not negative at all.

My son had fun though! I assume these first games are kind of the coach testing things out. I think only 3 players on the team were in this league before. My son has literally scored in every game he has played in for the last year and a half, except for the 4 this weekend. Coach had him in goal 2 halves though and on D exclusively in 2 games. I told my son he has to show him in practice that he can score.
Soccer?

Yes. It was interesting. Someone brought some $1000+ camera that tracks the ball and can track players using AI. The thing has a 20ft high tripod.
Thats insane... Cool.

Are there actually rules about yelling stuff during games? Or it just unwritten stuff that gives people an excuse to get uppity?

junior tennis- parents and adults aren't allowed to even talk to the kids during the match. Polite applause for won points or good play, not for the other kids mistake. And on top of that, kids have to judge their own matches... In/out, keep score... All of it. So far been ok outside of a couple instances. Gives the kids the tools for conflict resolution, hopefully in a healthy way.
Not that I know of.

I mentioned the camera because A. It is kinda cool, but B. some people are insane.
Yeah it's either a Trace camera or a VEO camera. I own a VEO and record every game my son plays. I bought the camera, and the team purchased the software subscription that does all the magic AI stuff. The camera is about $1k new, and the software is about $1,200 for the standard service. Not cheap, but the tech is remarkable. It's an incredible learning tool. After a game, I'll upload it at home. Takes a couple hours to do all the magic stuff. Then we get some chips, sodas and beers and break down the film. Well, last week his team got smoked, so we sometimes skip a game...
Do they have this for football and/basketball? I have seen soccer and volleyball but not football and basketball.
I think so for basketball. Website says so, but that's news to me. VEO works for rugby, soccer and lacrosse. For the AI to work, it needs to see the ball. Not really the case in football.

Moved Gally Jr to Colorado for college last week. The coach had about 8 players ready to help with move in. It was great. One trip and the car was unloaded and in the room. Much better than expected. He is rooming with one other baseball player and they get along great so far.

The coach said there are 11 freshman and 15 transfers with a total roster of 49 players. So a little over half are new to the program. My son said the freshman group seems to be hitting it off as they have consistently had 8 of the 11 out for workouts all last week while they get to know each other. A lot of talk about turning the program around since they went 16-32 last year. He said everyone seemed to be on the same page and wanted to turn things around. We will see how that goes.

From the workouts he is a little worried as his curveball hasn't been up to his standards the two times he has thrown so far (just playing catch - no bull pens). He said his two seamer is also not generating normal movement but his cutter is moving all over the place. Colorado does wonders with a baseball. I told him not to worry about it and just keep trying grips, pressures, etc and he will figure it out. Just gotta give it time.

Looking forward to see how fall goes.
Pretty similar situation for my son. Dropped him off two weeks ago. By the 2nd day he was hanging with 4 of the 6 incoming freshman. By the 3rd day that freshman group was "adopted" by a group of upperclassmen baseball players from the team. He's been with that group every day since (classes, eating, workouts, hanging out). I don't get much more than an "ok" when I ask how practices have been, but I know he's been going to those (field drills and lifting) and his classes. The coaching roster wasn't solidified until the first week of August - but he seems to be getting along with them.

Asked if he was coming home for Labor Day Weekend - his response: "Coach said we were his until Halloween." So I guess I won't be seeing him for awhile. :lmao:

I don't get much more than an "ok" when I ask how practices have been, but I know he's been going to those (field drills and lifting) and his classes.
Practices don't officially start until Sep 3rd so this week has all been optional with regards to weights (at 6am) and on field (throwing/cage work). I think these are all player driven and don't think the coaches are running the workouts. I think the weights are well attended but it seems like the on field workouts have been more about a group just getting out there to do stuff (at least that is my impression on the limited info I can get out of him...hahah).

I get the same "ok" when trying to delve into how things are going. What he has been forthcoming with is that all the guys are good guys and everyone (freshman wise) seem to be clicking. I think that will be big bonus in the coaches eyes because I know he is trying to build a culture from the ground up and it's been hard with people leaving and the turnover. Hopefully this large freshman class (11 players) can develop some of that culture and move things forward. My son's high school team was fairly similar and that was one of the thinks my son (and his class) were able to do as they were all on varsity as freshman. They turned a team that had 4 wins as a freshman and 7 wins as sophomores to 24+ wins each of their junior and senior years. He is excited at being able to hopefully be part of something like that for college.

:oldunsure: is this the right place :lol:

Tryouts- they split the varsity group up into returning and new players... She was with new. Said there was a 9th grader who was good, but in their ladder drill floppinha beat everybody she played and moved as fast as she could up the ladder. She never got to play with the returning players group.

Afterwards, the coach gave her a "pep" talk... Good group of returning players, but 2 of the 3 are graduating- so you're going to be in a great spot next year (as a 9th grader freshman). Sounds like the coach had made his mind up before the tryouts that floppinha wouldn't be one of the 3 starting singles players this year... But hopefully he gives her the opportunity to match up with them this week to see if she can.

2nd day yesterday, she showed up and was thrown right away into match play with one of the top 3 girls- the S3, her direct competition and a rising Junior... No warmup, nothing.

2 of the games went to deuce, which she lost, and she went down 6-3. She felt like the other girl was good- very consistent, and hit good deep balls....but not overpowering. She felt like she was right there with this girl, but on the day lost the key points and match. She didn't feel like it was her best tennis.

Sounds like afterwards the coach basically told her that was it and she was cut. Welcome to keep coming to workouts, but no spot in the team for her.

She's back there today and will continue it out, but wife and I (and floppinha, who was in tears at home) are really disappointed in the process if that's the case.

We knew she had to make a crystal clear case to be selected as a top 3 singles player.. anything close and it would always go to the upper classmen, so it had to be definitive.

But we assumed she'd be given at least a full week of match play and practice before they made that determination... And not base it on a single match, which even for a pro is asking a lot and not a fair representation of her abilities.

The AD reached out for a call, which well have tomorrow AM.

I hope she at least enjoyed herself today at tryouts.

Meh - I get where you are coming from but she's in 8th grade and if she keeps going sounds like will be locked in for next year.

If it's like most HS at least around here if she is not head and shoulders above the jr/sr the jr-sr will get the priority.

Easier said than done but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Meh - I get where you are coming from but she's in 8th grade and if she keeps going sounds like will be locked in for next year.

If it's like most HS at least around here if she is not head and shoulders above the jr/sr the jr-sr will get the priority.

Yeah, I gotta say, from where I sit, you and she have done well with an opportunity that few are probably afforded. There's more than a silver lining here. I'm on the Board for competitive soccer and I field parent "issues" all the time. The optics of going with an 8th grader, possible over an upperclass student, would probably be very messy and a problem for the AD. The case has to be very much in your favor.

Frankly, be careful of making it messy yourself. This will be her coaching staff next year, right? Tread carefully.

No sleep lost, but thanks. Mostly it's the process- imo impossible to gauge a player based on one single set. They should have given her the week and then made the predetermined determination. As it is, the process feels disingenuous and set up from the start for her to fail.

The coach did tell her the S1 and 2 are both graduating which will put her in a great spot for next year.

Yeah, I gotta say, from where I sit, you and she have done well with an opportunity that few are probably afforded. There's more than a silver lining here. I'm on the Board for competitive soccer and I field parent "issues" all the time. The optics of going with an 8th grader, possible over an upperclass student, would probably be very messy and a problem for the AD. The case has to be very much in your favor.

Frankly, be careful of making it messy yourself. This will be her coaching staff next year, right? Tread carefully.
Thanks... Good stuff from both of you.

I'm clear on all of this, but my wife tends to get more easily upset over issues of perceived "inequity".. often in a useful and good way, where I tend to just roll with things. She doesn't take any ****.

From where I stand, I was happy the gave her the opportunity but would have liked it either more transparent (you get one match and that's it to determine whether you're on the team), or more fair... Giving her the week.

Neither of us expected her to make the team, tbh, because of the issues around the school (rightly) prioritizing upper classmen. We knew she'd have to leave a lot of daylight between her and the next person to make the cut. Anything close and rightly no dice. I just don't like that it was 1 match and done, which isn't a clear representation of anybody's talent or ability.

Gotcha. I know sometimes we get "swept up in the what if moment" so it does sting when it doesn't play out like you think. Especially when you have parent glasses on.

Maybe in passing mention to the AD for future kids trying but make it clear you aren't mad. But GL sounds like she's headed in the right direction!!!

Thanks... Good stuff from both of you.

I'm clear on all of this, but my wife tends to get more easily upset over issues of perceived "inequity".. often in a useful and good way, where I tend to just roll with things. She doesn't take any ****.

From where I stand, I was happy the gave her the opportunity but would have liked it either more transparent (you get one match and that's it to determine whether you're on the team), or more fair... Giving her the week.

Neither of us expected her to make the team, tbh, because of the issues around the school (rightly) prioritizing upper classmen. We knew she'd have to leave a lot of daylight between her and the next person to make the cut. Anything close and rightly no dice. I just don't like that it was 1 match and done, which isn't a clear representation of anybody's talent or ability.
I get it. My son tried out for a new soccer club last season. He was looking for higher level competition, so he left his community program (where I serve on the Board). He tried out, performed well day one and pretty well day two. He wanted to make the top team. He's played pickup with boys on that team and he is better than many. But he didn't make the team, instead making the second team, where the coach said he'd probably be the top player. Ok, but still disappointed. He was better than the other players, he just hadn't grown up with that team.

A couple days later, I get a call from the coach of the top team. He wants my son to practice with his team, get to know how to play with them so he can guest play during the season when there's a need, and then he'll bring him up to the team in the spring season. More practice, more games, more competition (and no extra cost, by the way). Winning.

Hang in there. This is a good problem to have.

Oh, maybe you don't care, but administrative bodies - coaches, athletic departments, boards - know who "those" parents are. If there's ever a need for a coin flip, no one flips a coin. The plusses and minuses of what comes with one kid vs. another can come into play.

My daughter was on the other end of the 8th grader vs older kid thing, in this case hockey. My soph was no doubt more ready for varsity hockey than the younger girl, anyone who watched the scrimmages leading up to cuts agreed, but the 8th grader had a much higher ceiling down the road, was a “recruited” player. They took the 8th grader, cut my daughter. Sucked. IMO if not an obvious and present-tense upgrade for the team in taking the younger player, you have to defer to the older kids whose windows are closing.

My daughter was on the other end of the 8th grader vs older kid thing, in this case hockey. My soph was no doubt more ready for varsity hockey than the younger girl, anyone who watched the scrimmages leading up to cuts agreed, but the 8th grader had a much higher ceiling down the road, was a “recruited” player. They took the 8th grader, cut my daughter. Sucked. IMO if not an obvious and present-tense upgrade for the team in taking the younger player, you have to defer to the older kids whose windows are closing.

Sucks, man.

Definitely the opposite approach to sports than our school, where college placement rules. And very very few kids end up playing serious college sports or even get recruited. This school makes their money landing kids in good colleges without sports, so my daughter would've had to have kicked *** in tryouts to warrant a real look over upper classmen whose parents have shelled out 60+k year for going on 12 years with the hope of the kid landing in a good spot.

There was an 8th grade boy this last year who made varsity... But he's a top 20 nationally ranked kid. I think my daughter is sniffing top 50... For the immediate area :lol:

Sucked. IMO if not an obvious and present-tense upgrade for the team in taking the younger player, you have to defer to the older kids whose windows are closing.
The only way you take the younger kid is if they are going to play every minute they can handle. If they are going to be on the bench they need to be on JV and get max playing time. From the coaches perspective, I don't have an issue with taking a younger player over an older player of similar skills but only if the younger player will get max playing time. If they won't be getting that then it's a disservice to everyone.

Also, from a coaches perspective, if your team is not competitive in the current year and can be in the future because of the younger players there is a thought to sacrifice this year to improve for the following years while taking your lumps with the younger players. It sucks from a fairness standpoint but at the high school level winning does start to be part of the equation.

Can your daughter as a sophomore play on the JV team? From my own personal experience in high school, I started a year on the JV team and wasn't getting much play time. The program ended up dropping a kid from Varsity down to JV which bumped me down to soph-frosh. It ended up being extremely beneficial for me as I went from getting 5 minutes a game to playing most if not the entire game (basketball). I improved greatly because of all that playing time and the next year I made varsity as a starter because of it. If your daughter is able to still play on JV as a sophomore and get a bunch more playing time it can be a blessing in disguise to help her for her junior year to get more playing time then.

Sucked. IMO if not an obvious and present-tense upgrade for the team in taking the younger player, you have to defer to the older kids whose windows are closing.
The only way you take the younger kid is if they are going to play every minute they can handle. If they are going to be on the bench they need to be on JV and get max playing time. From the coaches perspective, I don't have an issue with taking a younger player over an older player of similar skills but only if the younger player will get max playing time. If they won't be getting that then it's a disservice to everyone.

Also, from a coaches perspective, if your team is not competitive in the current year and can be in the future because of the younger players there is a thought to sacrifice this year to improve for the following years while taking your lumps with the younger players. It sucks from a fairness standpoint but at the high school level winning does start to be part of the equation.

Can your daughter as a sophomore play on the JV team? From my own personal experience in high school, I started a year on the JV team and wasn't getting much play time. The program ended up dropping a kid from Varsity down to JV which bumped me down to soph-frosh. It ended up being extremely beneficial for me as I went from getting 5 minutes a game to playing most if not the entire game (basketball). I improved greatly because of all that playing time and the next year I made varsity as a starter because of it. If your daughter is able to still play on JV as a sophomore and get a bunch more playing time it can be a blessing in disguise to help her for her junior year to get more playing time then.
We had our talk with the AD this morning.

Most of it fluff and just checking in with us on stuff we already knew, but he made one interesting point.

We asked if tryouts would look similar next year as an actual HS student instead of 8th grader. He said basically it would be the same with the coach having little time to gauge where kids fall in terms of the 7 starters, S1-3 and D1-2. But he pointed out an area that he and the coach run into disagreements- the next players on the team and whether a 9th grader would be better served practicing with the starters and not playing or being top of JV and playing every match. He prefers the PT for younger players, the coach wants the depth for varsity just in case.

That's a bridge well cross next year if it looks like she's not one of the starting 7. At least next year she'll have the 4 doubles spots open to her along with the 3 singles spots.

But again, if things are close and not an obvious advantage to her, the school will most likely err on the side of upperclassmen.

He prefers the PT for younger players, the coach wants the depth for varsity just in case.
The coach is being narrowminded in this case. I mean, I am not a tennis guy so I may not understand the logistics but I would think that the "depth" doesn't really do much good once it's game day. Isn't it just the "starters" playing the entire time? Not sure how depth helps. If one of the starters were to get injured can you then sub in a bench player and continue the match or does it become a forfeit or something like that?

As a baseball coach we normally had our 2nd best catcher (if he was a freshman or sophomore) practice with varsity but play with JV so he could get the innings he needed to improve. It would hurt us for sure if we had an in game injury to our catcher as we wouldn't have our second best guy available to put in but to get through the rest of a game we had upperclassman that could at least be serviceable for the rest of that one game. This is how you make your program better. Sitting a promising young player on the bench for "just in case" reasons is a disservice to everyone involved.

Hopefully that isn't the case next year.

My daughter continues to improve at volleyball, which is awesome.

My son tried his hand at volleyball but doesn't really like it. But I explained to him that it's good to diversify and try new sports (he plays flag football). His flag team started up practice this past week and we found out that their stud receiver and another really talented kid are not playing this season. Bummer. A couple other kids dropped off too, which is actually a good thing because the team had way too many kids on the team last season and my boy's playing time suffered as a result. He will get more PT this year, possibly some run at center (one of the kids that left the team was a real good snapper).

My boy is getting much better at catching the rock, his speed is improving and he's adjusted from playing linebacker to cornerback. He still prefers linebacker (as do I, for him) but he's getting the hang of it.

Just love watching my kids excel at sports. We'll see where it takes them in the next few years. They will be going to a high school that is rich in tradition for sports so I'm not holding my breath....

He prefers the PT for younger players, the coach wants the depth for varsity just in case.
The coach is being narrowminded in this case. I mean, I am not a tennis guy so I may not understand the logistics but I would think that the "depth" doesn't really do much good once it's game day. Isn't it just the "starters" playing the entire time? Not sure how depth helps. If one of the starters were to get injured can you then sub in a bench player and continue the match or does it become a forfeit or something like that?

As a baseball coach we normally had our 2nd best catcher (if he was a freshman or sophomore) practice with varsity but play with JV so he could get the innings he needed to improve. It would hurt us for sure if we had an in game injury to our catcher as we wouldn't have our second best guy available to put in but to get through the rest of a game we had upperclassman that could at least be serviceable for the rest of that one game. This is how you make your program better. Sitting a promising young player on the bench for "just in case" reasons is a disservice to everyone involved.

Yeah.. tbh, I think you're right in terms of team play for tennis. I think it would only factor in if one of the kids has to miss a match due to injury, illness or general HS kid stuff. Injured during a match means forfeit, not a substitution. That's said- I think these kids end up missing matches, so a decent sub is good to have.

Then again, hopefully she improves enough between now and next year, where it won't be an issue. She's made huge strides just in the last few weeks as she's gotten used to playing up in age.... She's just turned 13 (I still think of her as 12) and playing against kids at tournaments who are up to 16yo.

Agree this doesn’t seem to make sense. My son (freshman) got put on as a flex player for varsity soccer with two other freshman as well as a couple of sophomores. He practices with varsity but will likely be playing with JV (they haven’t played any games yet). You would think you would want your future talent getting reps on the field.

1st game of the basketball season for my daughter. Tip off.... she gets it. Takes it down, passes another pass and then then a other pass from that teammate to another and they score.

Go back on defense, takes the point, has a screen set against her, tries to fight through the illegal screen with an added lift of the foot.... she goes down on her arm she broke in April. She goes to the bench in pain and I can tell more than just hurt. I meet her as she comes over from the other side of the court and when I saw her arm... knew.

Off to urgent care and confirmed break. Urgent sends us to ER, still here.

So... under 15 seconds to maybe end her season. That is an accomplishment of sorts.
My girl had a 'reduction' I think they call it.... where they move the bone back in place and then put the cast on today. Doctor said a month in the cast but then I asked about sports and she said 6 months. :eek: :cry:

That will kill her 8th grade (A big deal at her school) year for basketball and volleyball. I haven't told her yet. I don't know how to. Maybe I will let Mom do it because Mom wasn't as bothered as I was.... but I think that is because I know how disappointed my daughter will be.
Bad news. X-Rays showed that the bone moved from alignment and we will have to have full blown surgery on it putting a metal plate and screws in her arm. The Dr (same as before) said for activity 3-6 months. (she failed to say the 3 months part the last time)

So, Thursday another trip to the hospital. The only good thing for her is that she will get the full arm cast off and then just a cast on the forearm which is better.

Get the surgery done and then force feed her supplements. Odd thing with the vitamin D is that she takes one pill each week. Dr said no other vitamin D supplements, which all the calcium etc I got her before had so I got some calcium gummies that are just calcium until she is off the prescription.

So, I guess a mix of good and bad news. Bad- surgery. Good- smaller cast and a chance to play volleyball for school/club.

My son just texted me to say that he faced the starting pitcher for the White Sox in a tournament the year he was drafted, and got a hit off him, though given his record this year, that doesn't sound as impressive.

First fall games happened on Friday. It was a 9 inning game and a 10 inning game. Gally Jr couldn't play in the first since he had class but was slated to pitch the 2nd inning in game 2 and DH from inning 4 on.

Hitting:
  • First Plate Appearance: Worked a 2-1 count then get hit in the wallet on a curveball. When he got to first base the 1B coach asked him if he was fast. He said he was "alright". The coach said ok, show me. Steal first pitch. So he went and beat the throw....success.
  • 2nd Plate Appearance: Runner on 2B no outs. Got behind 1-2 after fouling off a couple pitches. Got a fastball in and was able to inside-out it and grounded out to 2B moving the runner to third. Productive AB even if he hoped for better.
  • 3rd Plate Appearance: Barreled up a FB but hit it right at the 2B. Hit it well but on the ground.
Overall he was happy with his offensive day. Wish he could have done a bit better but felt he showed ok

Pitching:
  • First Batter: Started with a FB for a strike. CB off for a ball. Another FB for a foul to go 1-2. Tried a change that the guy checked on and was just under the zone. Then went FB in that the guy hit up the middle. He thought it was going to be an easy hit but the SS made a great play. Gally Jr said it was nice to have a better infield behind him as last year in high school that would have gone as a hit.
  • 2nd Batter: got ahead 0-2 on a FB and CB. Batter then tried to bunt the 1-2 pitch and fouled it off. Goes down as a K.
  • 3rd Batter: Got ahead with a CB. FB away for a ball. FB in for a ball. Foul on FB to go 2-2. Tried a two seamer in that was just off the plate to bring it full. Threw a CB on outer third and the guy swung over the top. Happy with that pitch.
Overall he was happy with the outing. He had been struggling getting movement on his CB and two seamer at altitude in Colorado Springs. It's been a big worry for him in the early going as he relies heavily on his CB for all count situations. In addition the coaches are trying to move him to the other side of the rubber to help with hiding the ball with his arm slot so that has been a bit of a work in progress as he tries to figure out release points and control from that area. He said he kind of split the difference in this outing to ease himself into it a bit. He said he topped out at 86 but he felt he wasn't trying to muscle up so that's a good sign. I don't know how consistent he was at that velo as he typically sat at 84 ish and topped at 86 his senior year.

All in all a good first outing although he didn't think the other team (a local JC) was very good. He said he didn't get any feedback yet from the coaches as it was a long day so they didn't really go over much after the game.

After a nice run at the end of the summer playing lots of tennis and up in age, but lower level tourneys, she hit a likely right level u14 (her correct age group) tourney over the weekend.

She's back at school and back to only having 1 real tennis activity per week (a clinic), and it showed. 1st opponent was solid... Definitely more consistent and slightly higher tennis IQ than floppinha. But floppinha just couldn't hit the ball consistently, either in or deep, which kept giving the advantage to the other girl who didn't waste that advantage.. running my daughter around until winning the point. I don't know that she would have won anyways, but she really did herself in with her own game.

A reminder that she needs more than 1 tennis activity per week to do anything.

It amazes me how many parents don't realize this and think that just doing the team workouts is sufficient. As soon as an athlete makes this realization and starts putting in their own time working on fundamentals is when you can really see a jump in ability. Individual work on their own is the next step in the evolution to becoming a good/great player.

Hopefully she is starting to understand this concept if she wants to take the next step. This was something I talked to my son about when he started high school. I asked him what kind of player did he want to be. Just make the team, get some playing time, starter, or all league caliber. I said there was nothing wrong with any of those answers but each answer would lead to a different level of commitment and that the decision was his. I would help him in any way I could but I wasn't going to pester him to go hit in the cage or take ground balls. He had to want to do it and then I would do whatever he needed but it had to be his decision.

It amazes me how many parents don't realize this and think that just doing the team workouts is sufficient. As soon as an athlete makes this realization and starts putting in their own time working on fundamentals is when you can really see a jump in ability. Individual work on their own is the next step in the evolution to becoming a good/great player.

Hopefully she is starting to understand this concept if she wants to take the next step. This was something I talked to my son about when he started high school. I asked him what kind of player did he want to be. Just make the team, get some playing time, starter, or all league caliber. I said there was nothing wrong with any of those answers but each answer would lead to a different level of commitment and that the decision was his. I would help him in any way I could but I wasn't going to pester him to go hit in the cage or take ground balls. He had to want to do it and then I would do whatever he needed but it had to be his decision.
She went out the last couple weeks to hit against a wall nearby. But while better than nothing, it's not enough.

There's certainly more that she can do on her own, but nothing replicates court time.. and I'm trying to figure out how to pay for that.

Her goal is to make the HS team. That's it. She was good enough this year as an 8th grader, but not enough per their rules (had to be top 3, not just good enough to make the team). So I'm not really sure what her motivation will be for the next year.

I
First fall games happened on Friday. It was a 9 inning game and a 10 inning game. Gally Jr couldn't play in the first since he had class but was slated to pitch the 2nd inning in game 2 and DH from inning 4 on.

Hitting:
  • First Plate Appearance: Worked a 2-1 count then get hit in the wallet on a curveball. When he got to first base the 1B coach asked him if he was fast. He said he was "alright". The coach said ok, show me. Steal first pitch. So he went and beat the throw....success.
  • 2nd Plate Appearance: Runner on 2B no outs. Got behind 1-2 after fouling off a couple pitches. Got a fastball in and was able to inside-out it and grounded out to 2B moving the runner to third. Productive AB even if he hoped for better.
  • 3rd Plate Appearance: Barreled up a FB but hit it right at the 2B. Hit it well but on the ground.
Overall he was happy with his offensive day. Wish he could have done a bit better but felt he showed ok

Pitching:
  • First Batter: Started with a FB for a strike. CB off for a ball. Another FB for a foul to go 1-2. Tried a change that the guy checked on and was just under the zone. Then went FB in that the guy hit up the middle. He thought it was going to be an easy hit but the SS made a great play. Gally Jr said it was nice to have a better infield behind him as last year in high school that would have gone as a hit.
  • 2nd Batter: got ahead 0-2 on a FB and CB. Batter then tried to bunt the 1-2 pitch and fouled it off. Goes down as a K.
  • 3rd Batter: Got ahead with a CB. FB away for a ball. FB in for a ball. Foul on FB to go 2-2. Tried a two seamer in that was just off the plate to bring it full. Threw a CB on outer third and the guy swung over the top. Happy with that pitch.
Overall he was happy with the outing. He had been struggling getting movement on his CB and two seamer at altitude in Colorado Springs. It's been a big worry for him in the early going as he relies heavily on his CB for all count situations. In addition the coaches are trying to move him to the other side of the rubber to help with hiding the ball with his arm slot so that has been a bit of a work in progress as he tries to figure out release points and control from that area. He said he kind of split the difference in this outing to ease himself into it a bit. He said he topped out at 86 but he felt he wasn't trying to muscle up so that's a good sign. I don't know how consistent he was at that velo as he typically sat at 84 ish and topped at 86 his senior year.

All in all a good first outing although he didn't think the other team (a local JC) was very good. He said he didn't get any feedback yet from the coaches as it was a long day so they didn't really go over much after the game.
I love that 'ok, show me' from the coach. A great way to get him amped and ready for it with 100% effort. It is a small thing but add them up they are huge as a coach.

When coaching, I try to get the kids to understand this by telling them "games are won at practice, championships are won at home" our last season you could see it.... at the start of our season, I had a strong starting 5 but the fifth best player was not on the same level as the other four. Over the season, I know he worked hard at home and going to the gym focusing on his shooting. He made huge improvements and the second half of the season was our 2nd highest scorer and in the Championship game he was our top scorer and MVP of the game.

On a side note on that, the player mentioned above use to be primarily a soccer player and then played other sports. High level club soccer year round. Each season, I sit down for a few minutes with each boy and talk to them one on one. I go over what things their season, strengths and weaknesses. I give them one thing to focus on to improve during the off season and let them ask questions or say whatever they wish. With this boy, at some point I made a comment that was something along the lines of him getting back to soccer, acknowledging that was his top sport. He surprised me and basically said basketball was his favorite sport now. I didn't fully believe him, I thought maybe because he was playing basketball he was more excited about it at that moment. Earlier this football season, his father told me that he quit soccer altogether.... so I guess he really meant it.

Earlier this football season, his father told me that he quit soccer altogether.... so I guess he really meant it.
Year round sports at too early of an age takes another victim.
Yea, no doubt it had an impact but in talking to his father it sounded like a lot of it had to do with the club as well. A lot of mismanagement, favoritism, not being used correctly, etc. If you do year round sport and then in a situation that it is less than good- that is a recipe for burn out pretty every time. I also believe that his growing love for basketball and football additionally adds to that when he plays with all his friends on the school teams with those as well while the soccer was a club team that were other kids and a lot of churn in it apparently.

With football he is the WR on our team.... we run an offense that is 22 personnel 100% of the time and he is that lone WR. He has a beautiful long stride (I always say he looks like a Gazelle with the grace in how he runs), very good hands and is an athletic kid. In three games, he has 2 TD's on a team that throws 2 or 3 times a game.

Earlier this football season, his father told me that he quit soccer altogether.... so I guess he really meant it.
Yea, no doubt it had an impact but in talking to his father it sounded like a lot of it had to do with the club as well. A lot of mismanagement, favoritism, not being used correctly, etc. If you do year round sport and then in a situation that it is less than good- that is a recipe for burn out pretty every time. I also believe that his growing love for basketball and football additionally adds to that when he plays with all his friends on the school teams with those as well while the soccer was a club team that were other kids and a lot of churn in it apparently.

With football he is the WR on our team.... we run an offense that is 22 personnel 100% of the time and he is that lone WR. He has a beautiful long stride (I always say he looks like a Gazelle with the grace in how he runs), very good hands and is an athletic kid. In three games, he has 2 TD's on a team that throws 2 or 3 times a game.
These are like 10yos, right?

Yea, no doubt it had an impact but in talking to his father it sounded like a lot of it had to do with the club as well. A lot of mismanagement, favoritism, not being used correctly, etc. If you do year round sport and then in a situation that it is less than good- that is a recipe for burn out pretty every time.
That part is 100% on the parents for not doing their due diligence in finding a club team that suits their kid. There are many club teams out there. Blaming the club team for burnout is not the right answer. Being on the club team that is wrong for you/your kid is 100% on the parents.

These are like 10yos, right?
6th grade- so 11-12 year olds. Which is what makes him catching two TD's in three games on like 2-4 attempts a game that much more impressive. He has made a couple of real nice catches much better than I have seen at this level before. On the two balls he got hit in stride, TD. The other catches were basically 50/50 balls and he comes down with those every time so far. I have been really impressed with him this year and he has been a big reason for the offensive production the team has had (which they are a much better defensive team than offensive.... hoping playoffs, my son makes weight and that will help a lot)

Yea, no doubt it had an impact but in talking to his father it sounded like a lot of it had to do with the club as well. A lot of mismanagement, favoritism, not being used correctly, etc. If you do year round sport and then in a situation that it is less than good- that is a recipe for burn out pretty every time.
That part is 100% on the parents for not doing their due diligence in finding a club team that suits their kid. There are many club teams out there. Blaming the club team for burnout is not the right answer. Being on the club team that is wrong for you/your kid is 100% on the parents.
I agree 100% in general but maybe not in this situation totally.

The Dad wasn't blaming the club but more explaining why he thought the team struggled in areas that did affect the kid.... like winning and usage. The Dad was one of my Assistant Coaches in basketball last year so we got to know each other alot through the season. The end of soccer was basically came about with the parents asking the kid if he wanted to change clubs and the kid was like no, I don't really want to play soccer that much. The father is like me, never was into soccer and only cared about soccer when his kids played... so he didn't put up a fight at all. Not to mention all the travel involved (money wise I don't think he cares as he is well off) and time investment on the parents part. You want to focus more on basketball? Ok, great. Let's do it was pretty much what I got out of how that went. Again, I think his growing love of basketball and football was likely the biggest factor to push soccer out.

Hitting:

Pitching:

Nice!!! Good start to fighting for a job as a freshman.

Todem Jr was supposed to officially start Fall practice and intrasquads Monday but torrential rains have covered Raleigh yesterday and today so tomorrow is the new official start date.

Will report how his Fall goes. He is fighting for the starting SS or 2B job…he does not care just wants to be in the 9. He can also play LF if that’s where he is needed.

We shall see how it all shakes out. He had an amazing summer training in the weight room and on the field with me.

Arm is fresh.

Bat is hot

Kid is the strongest he has ever been in his life.

Let’s ****ing go!!

Nice!!! Good start to fighting for a job as a freshman.
So I asked Gally Jr if the coach had any feedback at practice yesterday. Here was his response:

"Head Coach talked to me during BP and said I did a fantastic job on Friday. He said something like how I went out there as a freshman but showed no fear and didn't look like a freshman. And then he just said to keep it up."

Nice praise for his first outing.

Welp, my daughter - with only limited basketball exposure (she was in a skills class four years ago, just for "something to do" during COVID) - has made her 8th grade basketball team. :oldunsure:

Now, she's definitely the "athlete" between she and my son, so I guess that I'm not super surprised. She can move on D and actually (despite a very beginner type of shot) made a good number of hoops when I took her and her friend (who also made the team) to the park on Saturday morning to shoot around.

I dunno what this means in terms of her keeping up with volleyball, but I do know it's good to diversify and I'm sure that the drills she does for hoops will translate well to the volleyball court. Her club volleyball team doesn't really start up until November, and basketball season will be done by then. She may have to miss some open gyms and clinics the club has, but that'll actually benefit us as we won't have to pony up the extra cash to have her go to those.

I played hoops in high school (was semi-decent) and a TON of pickup/intramural in college (where I peaked for sure). I also have coaching experience, so I will help her maximize the experience. Apparently she told the coach that she would hustle and wouldn't care if she just rode the bench; that she'd just try her hardest. Guess they liked that, cuz out of 20+ girls that tried out, only 10 made the team. She's not tall (at all) but definitely hustles (on the volleyball court, too).

So I guess we have another hoopster in the family! :)

About a month ago, my daughter ended her year+ long recruiting journey and committed to a DIII university to play women's ice hockey starting in the Fall of 2025 (I apologize for the book below). :)

We started the process in earnest in the late Spring/early Summer of 2023, at the tail end of her sophomore year. We pulled together a spreadsheet of schools that had women's hockey and had the area of study she wanted (Criminal Justice), put in coaches' names and contact info, and she got to work sending emails to them. I put together some videos showcasing her play, and she put those links into the emails. She did a few exposure camps and tournaments that Summer, and would email the coaches that were going to be there ahead of time to let them know she was going to be there, and coming out of those she started having coaches give her their cell numbers to text and they started setting up calls to get to know her, etc.

She's never been the type of player who is going to skate and stickhandle through 3 girls and laser a shot into the top corner. She's tall, a ferocious forechecker who loves to create offensive zone turnovers by pressuring the other team, does a lot of the dirty work along the boards and in front of the net, and is always looking to set up her linemates. She would regularly score 25-ish goals and have 35-ish assists in a 50 game season, just a good, solid, smart player with a great work ethic and attitude. She always felt like she was getting outshined by the girls who made it look effortless and could score 50+ goals in a season though. In one of the camps she went to that Summer, there was a coach of a top-10 DIII program who reached out to her after the camp (that she hadn't emailed originally because we didn't think that school had a CJ program). In his email he told her that he loved her game and how hard she worked, and it was like a light bulb went on for her. She realized that the way she played had value, and that she didn't need to try and be something she wasn't..that she should focus on making HER game the best it could be. It was like her confidence went through the roof after that.

She decided she wanted to focus on DIII schools early in the process. She was pretty level-headed about knowing that even if she was able to get a DI offer, she was going to be likely a bottom of the roster type of player. She made the decision to focus on DIII because she wanted to play and be able to have a bigger impact on whatever team she eventually went to, which we were totally supportive of.

She got her first offer in October 2023 (at the first school she visited), but obviously wasn't ready to make any decision at that point. Her dream had always been to play college hockey in Boston, but we told her to keep her mind open and encouraged her to visit all kinds of schools (small town, big town, in the middle, etc.), because you never know which campus will make you feel at home from the get-go.

Fast forward to August of this year and she is sitting on 6 different offers to play, seriously considering 3 of them (including UMass-Boston). She liked the coaches, programs, and campuses of all 3, and was planning on doing a final round of visits at each, hoping to make a decision by the end of September, when out of the blue she gets a text from a coach at a school we hadn't even considered asking her how her recruiting was going and if she'd ever consider her school (my daughter had known this coach through camps, etc. since she was 12). They were ranked in the top 15 last year, and top 20 the year before, so my daughter said she'd absolutely be interested. We made plans to visit the campus that Thursday, and the coach and one of the players took us on the tour, and gave her the offer to play there. We go out to eat lunch afterward with our daughter, and ask her what she thought. She looked at us and said.."this is it". That night I was texting with my wife while her and my daughter were visiting family in the area, and she said all our daughter was doing was talking about how great everything was there. I told her if she was sure, she should text the coach that night and tell her she was in. My wife wondered if she should wait, but I disagreed. I said that she had been on enough campus visits (10+), with enough variability in them, where if she says this is the place and the program for her, I don't see any reason to wait. They both agreed and our daughter texted the coach and accepted the offer that night.

The school has a great CJ program (with alumni in high-ranking positions in the FBI, which is what she wants to do), the rink they play in is a practically brand new facility, the locker room and weight rooms they have are insane, she knows and is comfortable with the coach, they are a successful team, we have family less than 30 minutes away from the school, and its about a 2-hour drive from us to the campus. It really couldn't have ended up any more perfect, and it's kind of crazy that after 15 months or so that it all happened so quickly and so out of the blue.

Super proud of her for all the hard work she has put in, and glad she can enjoy her final year of travel hockey and senior year of varsity hockey without having to worry about where she is going to be next year. Although she does understand that the hard work doesn't end here, it's really just starting. I'm looking forward to starting this next chapter as well.

Last edited:
About a month ago, my daughter ended her year+ long recruiting journey and committed to a DIII university to play women's ice hockey starting in the Fall of 2025 (I apologize for the book below). :)

We started the process in earnest in the late Spring/early Summer of 2023, at the tail end of her sophomore year. We pulled together a spreadsheet of schools that had women's hockey and had the area of study she wanted (Criminal Justice), put in coaches' names and contact info, and she got to work sending emails to them. I put together some videos showcasing her play, and she put those links into the emails. She did a few exposure camps and tournaments that Summer, and would email the coaches that were going to be there ahead of time to let them know she was going to be there, and coming out of those she started having coaches give her their cell numbers to text and they started setting up calls to get to know her, etc.

She's never been the type of player who is going to skate and stickhandle through 3 girls and laser a shot into the top corner. She's tall, a ferocious forechecker who loves to create offensive zone turnovers by pressuring the other team, does a lot of the dirty work along the boards and in front of the net, and is always looking to set up her linemates. She would regularly score 25-ish goals and have 35-ish assists in a 50 game season, just a good, solid, smart player with a great work ethic and attitude. She always felt like she was getting outshined by the girls who made it look effortless and could score 50+ goals in a season though. In one of the camps she went to that Summer, there was a coach of a top-10 DIII program who reached out to her after the camp (that she hadn't emailed originally because we didn't think that school had a CJ program). In his email he told her that he loved her game and how hard she worked, and it was like a light bulb went on for her. She realized that the way she played had value, and that she didn't need to try and be something she wasn't..that she should focus on making HER game the best it could be. It was like her confidence went through the roof after that.

She decided she wanted to focus on DIII schools early in the process. She was pretty level-headed about knowing that even if she was able to get a DI offer, she was going to be likely a bottom of the roster type of player. She made the decision to focus on DIII because she wanted to play and be able to have a bigger impact on whatever team she eventually went to, which we were totally supportive of.

She got her first offer in October 2023 (at the first school she visited), but obviously wasn't ready to make any decision at that point. Her dream had always been to play college hockey in Boston, but we told her to keep her mind open and encouraged her to visit all kinds of schools (small town, big town, in the middle, etc.), because you never know which campus will make you feel at home from the get-go.

Fast forward to August of this year and she is sitting on 6 different offers to play, seriously considering 3 of them (including UMass-Boston). She liked the coaches, programs, and campuses of all 3, and was planning on doing a final round of visits at each, hoping to make a decision by the end of September, when out of the blue she gets a text from a coach at a school we hadn't even considered asking her how her recruiting was going and if she'd ever consider her school (my daughter had known this coach through camps, etc. since she was 12). They were ranked in the top 15 last year, and top 20 the year before, so my daughter said she'd absolutely be interested. We made plans to visit the campus that Thursday, and the coach and one of the players took us on the tour, and gave her the offer to play there. We go out to eat lunch afterward with our daughter, and ask her what she thought. She looked at us and said.."this is it". That night I was texting with my wife while her and my daughter were visiting family in the area, and she said all our daughter was doing was talking about how great everything was there. I told her if she was sure, she should text the coach that night and tell her she was in. My wife wondered if she should wait, but I disagreed. I said that she had been on enough campus visits (10+), with enough variability in them, where if she says this is the place and the program for her, I don't see any reason to wait. They both agreed and our daughter texted the coach and accepted the offer that night.

The school has a great CJ program (with alumni in high-ranking positions in the FBI, with is what she wants to do), the rink they play in is a practically brand new facility, the locker room and weight rooms they have are insane, she knows and is comfortable with the coach, they are a successful team, we have family less than 30 minutes away from the school, and its about a 2-hour drive from us to the campus. It really couldn't have ended up any more perfect, and it's kind of crazy that after 15 months or so that it all happened so quickly and so out of the blue.

Super proud of her for all the hard work she has put in, and glad she can enjoy her final year of travel hockey and senior year of varsity hockey without having to worry about where she is going to be next year. Although she does understand that the hard work doesn't end here, it's really just starting. I'm looking forward to starting this next chapter as well.
That is freaking awesome! Congrats to her and the proud Daddy! Hoping for a great college career and setting her up well for a career in the FBI!

The school has a great CJ program (with alumni in high-ranking positions in the FBI, which is what she wants to do), the rink they play in is a practically brand new facility, the locker room and weight rooms they have are insane, she knows and is comfortable with the coach, they are a successful team, we have family less than 30 minutes away from the school, and its about a 2-hour drive from us to the campus. It really couldn't have ended up any more perfect, and it's kind of crazy that after 15 months or so that it all happened so quickly and so out of the blue.

Fantastic story!!! Love reading these. Good luck and much success to her! She is gonna do great.

Finding the right fit is so important.

Tennis is a funny sport here, and probably everywhere. It's freaking expensive. As a sport that relies on technique as much or more than athleticism, reinforcing the technique through lessons and classes becomes crucial. Most of the kids at her school that play on the JV and Varsity have country houses (Hamptons) where they play and get regular lessons primarily during the summers at "the club". Many of these are signed up for a weekly class at the very expensive John Mcenroe academy, but don't really play outside of that: very few actually play competitively. The money these other girls parents can throw at the sport for classes and especially private lessons, I just can't afford. We have to scramble to find classes, the occasional lesson..hell- even court time- you have to pay just to get on a court, or commit many hours waiting for the too few public courts here (where you only get to play an hour and can only use 3 balls). She and I typically go to a local wall to hit (and even those are hard to come by lately- always full).
Floppo, you ever have any luck with the Riverside courts? I used to ride my bike by them a lot, and felt like they were often not being used.

Tennis is a funny sport here, and probably everywhere. It's freaking expensive. As a sport that relies on technique as much or more than athleticism, reinforcing the technique through lessons and classes becomes crucial. Most of the kids at her school that play on the JV and Varsity have country houses (Hamptons) where they play and get regular lessons primarily during the summers at "the club". Many of these are signed up for a weekly class at the very expensive John Mcenroe academy, but don't really play outside of that: very few actually play competitively. The money these other girls parents can throw at the sport for classes and especially private lessons, I just can't afford. We have to scramble to find classes, the occasional lesson..hell- even court time- you have to pay just to get on a court, or commit many hours waiting for the too few public courts here (where you only get to play an hour and can only use 3 balls). She and I typically go to a local wall to hit (and even those are hard to come by lately- always full).
Floppo, you ever have any luck with the Riverside courts? I used to ride my bike by them a lot, and felt like they were often not being used.
Thanks.

She's played in a class on the ones up by Columbia (119th), which were always packed. There are courts in the 90s? she's never played on more due to lower east to upper west commute (the Columbia class travel was a beast) without certainty of even being able to get on them without the usual hours wait.

Users who are viewing this thread