What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

College Admissions Questions (2 Viewers)

The UC application is hellish to fill out and due today; do not wait until the last minute as they have had crashes in past years that have caused issues submitting by the deadline.

What a racket-charge the consumer to do your work. Oh well, Cal & UCLA submitted.
GLLLLLLLLL

I nearly wrecked my mom's car on the way to drop off my UC application in the mail at LAX on a Sunday (last day for postmarking). At that time (not sure about now), only LAX and SFO had post offices open on Sunday. Anyway, on the freeway, I was going too fast on the transition from the 2 to to 5, it had been raining, and I came around the turn and saw stopped traffic. I locked up the brakes on the Volvo 240, spun 270 degrees and went partially over the embankment off the shoulder. Had to back up, and turn away from oncoming traffic. I went off the next exit (Dodger Stadium) and the only damage to the car was that the front panel on the glove compartment broke it's clips and popped off. No flat tire, no scratches, nothing.

Dropped off the application, going much slower the rest of the way. Application was accepted and I got in to all 3 UCs that I applied to. I've never told my parents about the incident.
Ah, the old days of having to mail these in; kids have no idea! Glad you made it out relatively ok!

Seems like you applied to lots of places; where did you end up enrolling?

The UC application is hellish to fill out and due today; do not wait until the last minute as they have had crashes in past years that have caused issues submitting by the deadline.

What a racket-charge the consumer to do your work. Oh well, Cal & UCLA submitted.
GLLLLLLLLL

I nearly wrecked my mom's car on the way to drop off my UC application in the mail at LAX on a Sunday (last day for postmarking). At that time (not sure about now), only LAX and SFO had post offices open on Sunday. Anyway, on the freeway, I was going too fast on the transition from the 2 to to 5, it had been raining, and I came around the turn and saw stopped traffic. I locked up the brakes on the Volvo 240, spun 270 degrees and went partially over the embankment off the shoulder. Had to back up, and turn away from oncoming traffic. I went off the next exit (Dodger Stadium) and the only damage to the car was that the front panel on the glove compartment broke it's clips and popped off. No flat tire, no scratches, nothing.

Dropped off the application, going much slower the rest of the way. Application was accepted and I got in to all 3 UCs that I applied to. I've never told my parents about the incident.
Ah, the old days of having to mail these in; kids have no idea! Glad you made it out relatively ok!

Seems like you applied to lots of places; where did you end up enrolling?
I applied to 7 schools: Cal, UCLA, UCSB, Northwestern, UVA, Michigan, and Harvard. I got in everywhere but Harvard and got waitlisted at Michigan. I went to Cal as an undergrad, but was really torn about turning down Northwestern. A lot of it came down to $$, as I was in state in CA. But some of it was also that my ex-gf was going to Northwestern and my current gf was going to Cal. I stayed with her for 6 years, into grad school. I was a little torn about UCSB vs. Cal, since UCSB offered me some scholarship $$ and it was UCSB... I had partied there my senior year of HS and it was pretty epic in my 17 year old mind.

For grad school I applied to 4 schools: Cal, Michigan, GA Tech, and MIT. I got in everywhere but got waitlisted at MIT. Again it came down to $$. Cal and Tech offered free tuition and a research scholarship. I went to Tech because I wanted to see a different part of the country from California. It was the right choice for me to break out of my comfort zone, moving across the country without knowing anyone there. Plus I met my wife about 3 years later in Atlanta. She had just finished grad school (first stint) at Emory.

Thankfully, my son listened to me and his GC and got his UC app in before Thanksgiving. Agree that it's a total PITA, but imagine how many applications UCLA and Berkeley would receive if they were on the common app. I'm also bummed that they don't accept teacher recs.

Thankfully, my son listened to me and his GC and got his UC app in before Thanksgiving. Agree that it's a total PITA, but imagine how many applications UCLA and Berkeley would receive if they were on the common app. I'm also bummed that they don't accept teacher recs.
Good luck!!

Princeton interview tomorrow, if anyone has any tips pass them on!
How'd it go?

I interview for Columbia...sorry I missed this- could've given you all the tips. but it's too late now so I'll keep them to myself.
Thanks for asking! Went well, guy was from our town in Oklahoma, went to Princeton and came back so he was familiar with our school, etc.

Total conversation was 50 mins or so. After we sent a thank you email he replied and wished us good luck 🍀.

He at least didn’t bomb it 😂.

Cornell interview next, but I hear that has no impact on admission and is more marketing for them?

Thoughts?

Princeton interview tomorrow, if anyone has any tips pass them on!
How'd it go?

I interview for Columbia...sorry I missed this- could've given you all the tips. but it's too late now so I'll keep them to myself.
Thanks for asking! Went well, guy was from our town in Oklahoma, went to Princeton and came back so he was familiar with our school, etc.

Total conversation was 50 mins or so. After we sent a thank you email he replied and wished us good luck 🍀.

He at least didn’t bomb it 😂.

Cornell interview next, but I hear that has no impact on admission and is more marketing for them?

Thoughts?
No idea. I don't think a kid I've interviewed- some of whom I wrote glowing statements about- have gotten admitted.

The school tells us interviewers it's about getting the kid to tell us stuff the essay, transcript, etc don't cover about them. So the kid feels like they've had a chance to present as much of themselves as possible beyond the grades and tests.

We're not given any info about the kid other than name and HS, fwiw. And they recommend we find out about books the kids read for fun...none of which seems to matter.

My son is keeping this on the DL for now, but did give me permission to post here since (1) this thread has been so amazingly helpful and (2) you all won't tell any of his friends.

He checked the portal at 7 pm last night and came running downstairs yelling "Holy ####! Holy ####! - I just got accepted to Stanford!!!"

First time that he has spontaneously hugged me since Brandon Graham strip-sacked Tom Brady in Superbowl 52. Guess it's time to plan a trip to Palo Alto to see what all the fuss is about.

Hope to see some good news from others popping up soon too!

My son is keeping this on the DL for now, but did give me permission to post here since (1) this thread has been so amazingly helpful and (2) you all won't tell any of his friends.

He checked the portal at 7 pm last night and came running downstairs yelling "Holy ####! Holy ####! - I just got accepted to Stanford!!!"

First time that he has spontaneously hugged me since Brandon Graham strip-sacked Tom Brady in Superbowl 52. Guess it's time to plan a trip to Palo Alto to see what all the fuss is about.

HOLY ****!!!! It’s the quintessential dream school! Congrats to your kiddo - from everything I know about him, he’s a friggin’ rock star and this is well-deserved. It was definitely my dream school - so I will now be living vicariously through him. He better go there!!!!

Last edited:

HOLY ****!!!! It’s the quintessential dream school! Congrats to your kiddo - from everything I know about him, he’s a friggin’ rock star and this is well-deserved. It was definitely my dream school - so I will now be living vicariously through him. He better go there!!!!
Thanks, BB. His mom and I are still kind-of in shock so can't imagine all that he is processing. Right now, the only other school that would still be in the running is UCLA - if only b/c of the strength of one particular program and how much he liked Westwood. But he won't hear from them until mid-March and admission is still a long shot.

Wow!!!!!!! That's amazing. Congrats lil' scorchy!

If he gets into 'furd, can't see how he'd not get into UCLA. Maybe that particular language program at UCLA is so exclusive that he wouldn't get into it, but he should get into the university. But I know he has his mind set on that program.

GLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

That’s fantastic, congratulations to your brilliant boy (and his parents)! Definitely going to make for a happy holiday break

That’s fantastic, congratulations to your brilliant boy (and his parents)! Definitely going to make for a happy holiday break
Thanks. I can't tell you much I appreciate all the advice you've offered generally in this thread and to me specifically. You really helped us develop a strategy - but Stanford was still a pipe dream.

Update as the ED/EA decisions come in.

-Rejected from Princeton (first No 😞)
-Accepted to Purdue (Engineering); feel lucky
-Interview for the Raikes CS program at Nebraska next week (on-site full day); he’s in the school but this a special honors program with ton of great attributes.
-Waiting on a bunch (I think we hear from USC, GT next)-others later.

Not sure if anyone is looking at the Reddit apply2college group, but is a bloodbath for STEM applicants everywhere. Purdue announced last night and here is one of many threads.

Appreciate the support and place to put my thoughts.

-Interview for the Raikes CS program at Nebraska next week (on-site full day); he’s in the school but this a special honors program with ton of great attributes.

Not sure if anyone is looking at the Reddit apply2college group, but is a bloodbath for STEM applicants everywhere. Purdue announced last night and here is one of many threads.

Best of luck to you! As you may know from the thread my son was an engineering applicant in 2020 and has a number of overlaps with yours - Purdue, USC (where he chose to go), and GT (waitlisted and then withdrew app). If USC is at all in the running, I’m happy to answer any questions. A good friend’s daughter is currently in freshman engineering at UCLA (loves it) and another friend’s daughter just graduated CS from Cornell which are also on your list it appears.

Best of luck to you! As you may know from the thread my son was an engineering applicant in 2020 and has a number of overlaps with yours - Purdue, USC (where he chose to go), and GT (waitlisted and then withdrew app). If USC is at all in the running, I’m happy to answer any questions. A good friend’s daughter is currently in freshman engineering at UCLA (loves it) and another friend’s daughter just graduated CS from Cornell which are also on your list it appears.
If he gets into USC I’ll be taking you up on that! Fingers crossed for next week.

So my daughter was asked to join general honors program at her upcoming school. She is going for engineering. Outside the 2k off tuition here is the requirements and "benefits"

A Certificate of Honors in General Education is awarded at graduation to students who:

Successfully complete a minimum of five Honors courses, including Freshman Honors English, an Honors Colloquium, and three other Honors courses.
A Certificate of Advanced Honors in General Education is awarded at graduation to students who:

Successfully complete a minimum of five Honors courses as well as an additional Honors Colloquium or an Honors independent study in some field of general education.
OUT-OF-CLASS EVENTS
To continue in the Honors Program, each participant must attend a minimum of four outside-of-class academically or culturally enriching events during each academic year.

GRADE POINT AVERAGE
You must have an overall GPA of 3.25 by completion of your next to last semester.

Benefits

$2000 annual scholarship
An Honors Program mentor who will help you navigate the transition to college
Priority registration for classes
Housing in our Honors Living Learning Community
Small class sizes designed for spirited discussions
Opportunities to attend a variety of academic and cultural events
And most importantly, your impressive distinction and success sets you apart, putting you on the inside track with employers and graduate school admissions officers!

She will be playing softball and engineering.....is this extra really worth it?

So my daughter was asked to join general honors program at her upcoming school. She is going for engineering. Outside the 2k off tuition here is the requirements and "benefits"

A Certificate of Honors in General Education is awarded at graduation to students who:

Successfully complete a minimum of five Honors courses, including Freshman Honors English, an Honors Colloquium, and three other Honors courses.
A Certificate of Advanced Honors in General Education is awarded at graduation to students who:

Successfully complete a minimum of five Honors courses as well as an additional Honors Colloquium or an Honors independent study in some field of general education.
OUT-OF-CLASS EVENTS
To continue in the Honors Program, each participant must attend a minimum of four outside-of-class academically or culturally enriching events during each academic year.

GRADE POINT AVERAGE
You must have an overall GPA of 3.25 by completion of your next to last semester.

Benefits

$2000 annual scholarship
And most importantly, your impressive distinction and success sets you apart, putting you on the inside track with employers and graduate school admissions officers!

Sometimes they get better dorms and can register for classes early (depends on honors program).

Most students cite this as biggest advantage - and often use these and drop out before finishing requirements.

OUT-OF-CLASS EVENTS

GRADE POINT AVERAGE

Benefits

$2000 annual scholarship

Sometimes they get better dorms and can register for classes early (depends on honors program).

Most students cite this as biggest advantage - and often use these and drop out before finishing requirements.

Yes, early registration is a huge benefit. Might get that already because of softball.

Last edited:
Thanks. After her first semester she can apply for honors engineering so I don't know if it's worth general honors and engineering honors. Seems like a lot to me but I also never qualified 😜

OUT-OF-CLASS EVENTS

GRADE POINT AVERAGE

Benefits

$2000 annual scholarship

Worth what? The "cost" appears to be minimal, participating in a couple of events and keeping up the GPA. Those aren't necessarily bad things. Your daughter just needs to decide what is right and comfortable for her. I think much depends on the university environment as to whether it is a good choice for her.

Purdue has had a bit of a rough go of things the last couple years with regard to admissions. Maybe they are trying to pull in the reigns a little. My son is finishing up his second year in engineering. His incoming class was huge leading to many housing problems. The initial housing problems have now given way to other issues putting a strain on university resources. For example, there have been scheduling problems as some of the courses are getting overfilled as they try to accommodate the population bubble they have. Instead of closing classes, they have been creating "extra sections" of asynchronous classes or sometimes rotating students in and out of class....Students A, B and C can come to class in person on M and W, but they need to watch the video lecture for Friday's class.

Purdue has had a bit of a rough go of things the last couple years with regard to admissions. Maybe they are trying to pull in the reigns a little. My son is finishing up his second year in engineering. His incoming class was huge leading to many housing problems. The initial housing problems have now given way to other issues putting a strain on university resources. For example, there have been scheduling problems as some of the courses are getting overfilled as they try to accommodate the population bubble they have. Instead of closing classes, they have been creating "extra sections" of asynchronous classes or sometimes rotating students in and out of class....Students A, B and C can come to class in person on M and W, but they need to watch the video lecture for Friday's class.

Did they just severely underestimate their yield rate?

Did they just severely underestimate their yield rate?
I think so. I am not privy to the details, but my son's class was over 10k students. They boasted about it being the largest in Big Ten history at the time. Well, they weren't ready for those numbers. I think I posted about some of the housing issues earlier in the thread. Purdue offers a solid reputation at an affordable (relative to other public options) price. I pay Purdue (out of state) about the same amount as I pay for Ohio State (in state) for my daughter.

Just to add...there is certainly a population of :tinfoilhat: who think the over enrollment is a money grab. Purdue has been proud of the fact that they have not raised tuition since 2012.

Last edited:
It’s not an Ivy by any stretch but my son was finally officially offered full tuition to university of Alabama Huntsville. He’ll live at home the first year so his expenses will basically just include the required meal plan (that’s a racket but probably a net positive that he’ll eat lunch at least on campus), some fees and whatever books he actually needs. He apparently also has a part time job lined up at $25 / hour at a place he could stay with after graduation.
It’s not the college experience I wanted, but it works well for him.

It’s not an Ivy by any stretch but my son was finally officially offered full tuition to university of Alabama Huntsville. He’ll live at home the first year so his expenses will basically just include the required meal plan (that’s a racket but probably a net positive that he’ll eat lunch at least on campus), some fees and whatever books he actually needs. He apparently also has a part time job lined up at $25 / hour at a place he could stay with after graduation.

Wow, full ride. That is awesome! Congrats to your son.

What's he majoring in?

What's he majoring in?
Business / communications. I’m encouraging him to try engineering which he’ll probably take a class and see if he likes it.

If he gets into USC I’ll be taking you up on that! Fingers crossed for next week.

I’m sure you’ve already seen this but just in case, the USC admissions office apparently sent a notice to HS counselors indicating that they received 40,600 early action applications and they will offer admission to approximately 2,400 students this Friday. All remaining students will be deferred to regular decision. The school received another 40,400 regular decision applications. The admissions office plans to offer admission to another 5,500 applicants in late March.

Doing the math, 7,900 acceptances from 81,000 applicants is a 9.8% acceptance rate. For what it’s worth, when my son applied, USC was his first choice, but was the very last admissions decision he received (March 26).

I’m sure you’ve already seen this but just in case, the USC admissions office apparently sent a notice to HS counselors indicating that they received 40,600 early action applications and they will offer admission to approximately 2,400 students this Friday. All remaining students will be deferred to regular decision. The school received another 40,400 regular decision applications. The admissions office plans to offer admission to another 5,500 applicants in late March.

Doing the math, 7,900 acceptances from 81,000 applicants is a 9.8% acceptance rate. For what it’s worth, when my son applied, USC was his first choice, but was the very last admissions decision he received (March 26).
Crazy. My oldest graduates from Clemson this year (has a 3.9 something in the honors college, proud of him) and I remember as a freshmen, they mentioned they had a record number of applicants that year. My middle son graduates HS this year and when we visited Auburn they said 2021 applications were double 2020. Needless to say he didn’t even apply there. Great kid but not the straight As/AP classes of his brother. We’ve got a visit to App State next week and I think he’s leaning there. All the southern state schools have had huge application increases. Out of state students have to be pretty competitive. I am crossing my fingers to enjoy in state tuition for once. At least my oldest had a nice scholarship because his bills went up every year as well.

For those with interest in Purdue, here are their historical admittance numbers... https://www.purdue.edu/datadigest/
There are some handy filters on the right to drill down into the data.

Interesting as I spoke earlier in the thread in response to @bigbottom about their yield rate, it appears the yield rate was not very different from previous recent years. the tin foil hat crowd is right. They just accepted higher percentages in '20 and '21 creating that enrollment bubble. I read an article that they intentionally pulled that back in '22. So maybe they are very intentionally being more stingy on admission rates this year as well.

Deleted my post that was saying the same thing. It’s quite the buzz on college confidential forums. Fully expect a deferral tomorrow. Glad we have a Purdue acceptance to soften the blows coming 😂.

Crazy. My oldest graduates from Clemson this year (has a 3.9 something in the honors college, proud of him) and I remember as a freshmen, they mentioned they had a record number of applicants that year. My middle son graduates HS this year and when we visited Auburn they said 2021 applications were double 2020. Needless to say he didn’t even apply there. Great kid but not the straight As/AP classes of his brother. We’ve got a visit to App State next week and I think he’s leaning there. All the southern state schools have had huge application increases. Out of state students have to be pretty competitive. I am crossing my fingers to enjoy in state tuition for once. At least my oldest had a nice scholarship because his bills went up every year as well.
Southern schools are hot UGA was a tough admit this year.

For those with interest in Purdue, here are their historical admittance numbers... https://www.purdue.edu/datadigest/
There are some handy filters on the right to drill down into the data.

Interesting as I spoke earlier in the thread in response to @bigbottom about their yield rate, it appears the yield rate was not very different from previous recent years. the tin foil hat crowd is right. They just accepted higher percentages in '20 and '21 creating that enrollment bubble. I read an article that they intentionally pulled that back in '22. So maybe they are very intentionally being more stingy on admission rates this year as well.
Admit rates for OOS students in CS and engineering expected to be approx 10-15%, not the safety most in that group anticipated. I had that marked down as an auto admit - and now feel foolish.

Deleted my post that was saying the same thing. It’s quite the buzz on college confidential forums. Fully expect a deferral tomorrow. Glad we have a Purdue acceptance to soften the blows coming 😂.
Deferred- will fill out the continued interest form but unlikely even if we get in RD as we will be full pay (he was shooting for a merit award). Great school, but at 6% acceptance rate and over 80k/year all in I’m not upset at all.

Deferred- will fill out the continued interest form but unlikely even if we get in RD as we will be full pay (he was shooting for a merit award). Great school, but at 6% acceptance rate and over 80k/year all in I’m not upset at all.

That’s a bummer, but sounds like he has better options already with others on the horizon. Wishing him all the best (and a USC acceptance in March).

That’s a bummer, but sounds like he has better options already with others on the horizon. Wishing him all the best (and a USC acceptance in March).
Always a blow to not see an acceptance, but luckily he is not set on one school yet.

Deferrals from Michigan and Illinois on tap 😂.

Good luck to those waiting on what’s being called “state flagship day” 🙏🍀!

GT, UIUC, Michigan for sure today. Possibly UT, Wisconsin and a few others.

Big day for STEM applicants, those deferred/rejected from Purdue are on pins and needles 🍀🍀🙏🙏

Good luck to those waiting on what’s being called “state flagship day” 🙏🍀!

GT, UIUC, Michigan for sure today. Possibly UT, Wisconsin and a few others.

Big day for STEM applicants, those deferred/rejected from Purdue are on pins and needles 🍀🍀🙏🙏
Replying to myself, but he’s IN Michigan for applied mathematics 🥳!

UIUC - Accepted for Mechanical Engineering 🥳

GT - deferred to the RD pool for Mechanical Engineering

As Ice Cube would say “Today was a good day”

Last edited:
My son got some disappointing news yesterday but its OK because he's been accepted at several fantastic schools and really can't go wrong at this point. I think he'll probably end up at Minnesota which is a great school in a great city so I'm extremely happy and proud today, even while having to console him a bit.

This is probably just the dad in me speaking, but I am looking for some good resources that predict employment markets in 5-10 years time. He's the complete opposite of me in that I had not a single thought toward a major or career until I was on the verge of graduating college 5 years after entering as a freshman. For whatever reason, I think today's generation of teenagers probably has to be a bit more career focused than we were. Part of this is just that college is so much more expensive now, I feel like students almost have to get more out of it than just a great learning/maturing experience and should expect to come out of it with a plan and some marketable skills. Any thoughts appreciated on this.

My son got some disappointing news yesterday but its OK because he's been accepted at several fantastic schools and really can't go wrong at this point. I think he'll probably end up at Minnesota which is a great school in a great city so I'm extremely happy and proud today, even while having to console him a bit.

This is probably just the dad in me speaking, but I am looking for some good resources that predict employment markets in 5-10 years time. He's the complete opposite of me in that I had not a single thought toward a major or career until I was on the verge of graduating college 5 years after entering as a freshman. For whatever reason, I think today's generation of teenagers probably has to be a bit more career focused than we were. Part of this is just that college is so much more expensive now, I feel like students almost have to get more out of it than just a great learning/maturing experience and should expect to come out of it with a plan and some marketable skills. Any thoughts appreciated on this.

Here a few, we’ve settled on math, CS, or mechanical engineering as “safe” choices with apparently good prospects moving forward. He would like to combine math with CS/finance if possible

It’s a shame, but with the cost of college you need figure some type of ROI into the equation.

As for your son, it will all work out and he will find the place for him! It is certainly stressful 🙏.

That's great news with Michigan. My wife went to law school there and both her parents attended so I'm intimately familiar with the allure. Ann Arbor would be a great place to spend 4 years if you can handle the cold. My wife is from Florida so had never seen snow before her first winter there.

My son pulled most of his apps after getting the Stanford news, but did leave a few open just in case. Deferred at Michigan and USC, in at Wisconsin, and still awaiting UCLA in March. We're visiting Palo Alto for the first time in a few weeks, and assuming all goes well, he'll probably withdraw all except UCLA.

15yo floppinho was accepted early admission to a summer program.

A SUMMER PROGRAM.

wtf.

I've worked on some 1% or the 1%ers houses. owners of hedgefunds, oil magnates, political movers and shakers, hollywood bigs... and every night I come home to my lovely but small home to a lovely family and while happy about the family, can't help but think I should've listened a little harder to those architects when I was younger. hell- I could've gone into hedgefunds or some other money-making enterprise and retired by now... and NOW become an arhitect and do my own **** without worrying about keeping a roof over my kids' heads

but still love reading about all of you guys and your kids.
it's so stupid.

but we're also waiting to hear about Carnegie Hall travelling orchestra for him. mallets crossed.

when's the next dates for when you guys hear about admissions? sounds like a lot of great opportunities already for your kids, and hopefully more to come... I so genuinely love reading this thread and seeing the good news.

That's great news with Michigan. My wife went to law school there and both her parents attended so I'm intimately familiar with the allure. Ann Arbor would be a great place to spend 4 years if you can handle the cold. My wife is from Florida so had never seen snow before her first winter there.

My son pulled most of his apps after getting the Stanford news, but did leave a few open just in case. Deferred at Michigan and USC, in at Wisconsin, and still awaiting UCLA in March. We're visiting Palo Alto for the first time in a few weeks, and assuming all goes well, he'll probably withdraw all except UCLA.
wait... WHAT STANFORD NEWS?!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread