What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB J.J. McCarthy, MIN (2 Viewers)

Joe Milton's hardest throw on the laser: 62 mph
JJ McCarthy's hardest throw on the laser: 61 mph

For reference sake Josh Allen was 62 MPH.

Regarding his arm talent Mike Tice did a breakdown on him the night before the combine and highlighted his struggles throwing to the left and statistically it's a huge difference when the throws to the L vs R. Yesterday he had a few passes get away from him and I believe they are all throws to the left. That's would appear to be the major area he needs to improve and the issue seems to be something off with his feet placement, so a mechanical fix. Jeremiah has said a few times he puts to much heat on the ball and needs to display more touch. These are all fairy easy fixes, but the raw arm talent is legit.

JJ McCarthy casually putting up the 5th fastest 3-cone of the combine--at 219 lbs

This was very important to see because it showed the 219 weight was something he could carry.

Regarding his arm talent Mike Tice did a breakdown on him the night before the combine and highlighted his struggles throwing to the left and statistically it's a huge difference when the throws to the L vs R. Yesterday he had a few passes get away from him and I believe they are all throws to the left. That's would appear to be the major area he needs to improve and the issue seems to be something off with his feet placement

I follow Tice on Twitter/X and I saw the same thing you did. Throwing to his left and footwork.

Dude got sniffed out by the machine well ahead of the very impressive combine. With the latter now also in tow, he's going a lot higher than anyone thinks IMO. Anthony Richardson-like ascension fully in play here.

Yeah. He looked good. Not many faults in what I saw. My guess is his performance (and Penix's) keeps NYG and ATL from trading up into the top 3. Both could be just as good as the top 3. You never know how these guys will work out. I also think their performances lessened the trade value of Fields.

Yeah. He looked good. Not many faults in what I saw. My guess is his performance (and Penix's) keeps NYG and ATL from trading up into the top 3. Both could be just as good as the top 3. You never know how these guys will work out. I also think their performances lessened the trade value of Fields.
As much as I like Daniels, McCarthy might be the 3rd.

J.J. McCarthy says he had formal meetings with the following teams at the NFL Combine:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Chicago Bears
Washington Commanders
New England Patriots
NY Giants
Atlanta Falcons
Minnesota Vikings
Las Vegas Raiders
Denver Broncos
New Orleans Saints
Seattle Seahawks
If Chicago trades down from 1.1, I've heard rustling that they like McCarthy a lot. Could be interesting if they trade to, say, Vegas' pick.

One of the intrigues to me on McCarthy, other then him possibly toppling Maye or Daniels, is that it opens up the chance of a team trading up to #4 to get him which is actually what I would predict right now. Not a strong prediction, but that's my lean.

Which not to get off subject would open up MHJ being available to the Chargers, who I also think would prefer to trade back so not even sure they'd stick and pick but again that's another subject.

Regarding Penix I'm going to say I'll be very surprised if he's not sitting around available in round 2. His medicals seemingly checking out was great. That he threw the ball well yesterday was not a big deal, it's like a player teams know runs fast running fast. You give him a clean pocket he's really good but none of these things address the issue that when the pocket breaks down he turns into a pumpkin. This skillset is the primary reason why I believe Calebe Williams is so enamored. Now I kind of just described Goff so you never know, not saying it won't happen, saying I'll be surprised if he's not sitting around in round 2.

As for Fields I don't think he's ever had a market, Bears still waiting for one to develop, and feel strongly that report by Shefter a few weeks ago was done in favor to the Bears. If they had so much as a second on the table right now they'd jump it and if/when they can get that they are ready to move him. Eventually it might happen but I think will depend more on the teams who don't pick in the top 3, don't want to pay to move up to top 3 or to be in position to get McCarthy, and don't think they can sign Cousins or Baker. He's like plan C for QB needy teams and that may plan may ultimatley end being a second, but I'd say it's more what the Bears are trying to get then anything available to them now.

I don't really understand the love for this guy, he's undersized and didn't will Michigan to a title. Wasn't asked to throw the ball a whole lot, I'm confused and I admit it
I would not want the team I consider my hometown team, i would not want them drafting him in the 1st round, feels very risky.

I would much rather have Penix and I think I've been upfront about that. I don't put Penix in the same category as Williams and Maye but after that it's wide open IMHO

One of the intrigues to me on McCarthy, other then him possibly toppling Maye or Daniels, is that it opens up the chance of a team trading up to #4 to get him which is actually what I would predict right now. Not a strong prediction, but that's my lean.

Which not to get off subject would open up MHJ being available to the Chargers, who I also think would prefer to trade back so not even sure they'd stick and pick but again that's another subject.

Regarding Penix I'm going to say I'll be very surprised if he's not sitting around available in round 2. His medicals seemingly checking out was great. That he threw the ball well yesterday was not a big deal, it's like a player teams know runs fast running fast. You give him a clean pocket he's really good but none of these things address the issue that when the pocket breaks down he turns into a pumpkin. This skillset is the primary reason why I believe Calebe Williams is so enamored. Now I kind of just described Goff so you never know, not saying it won't happen, saying I'll be surprised if he's not sitting around in round 2.

As for Fields I don't think he's ever had a market, Bears still waiting for one to develop, and feel strongly that report by Shefter a few weeks ago was done in favor to the Bears. If they had so much as a second on the table right now they'd jump it and if/when they can get that they are ready to move him. Eventually it might happen but I think will depend more on the teams who don't pick in the top 3, don't want to pay to move up to top 3 or to be in position to get McCarthy, and don't think they can sign Cousins or Baker. He's like plan C for QB needy teams and that may plan may ultimatley end being a second, but I'd say it's more what the Bears are trying to get then anything available to them now.
You think a team is trading up to 4 for McCarthy. Put the pipe down.

You think a team is trading up to 4 for McCarthy. Put the pipe down.
Yes and I'll put the pipe down if you'll agree to do some more research on the subject and in here with your October takes.

The serious problem with that is that he might not last until pick nine (their other pick) so they'd have to trade down but not so far down that they miss out. That's an art form right there.
Going by what we think we might know right at this moment, which is the best we got, seems pretty obvious MIN/DEN at 11/12 is his floor.

Actually, I'd love to make a bet he goes at #8. Either to the Falcons, or in a trade down with LV/MIN/DEN after they sign a vet.

I just don’t see AZ wanting to trade out of taking MHJ
I would just say I could quote you several reputable national NFL writers as well as some beat writers for the team all from the past week who came back from the combine saying they are hearing that Arizona is welcome to trading back, with most of them citing the numerous team needs. Same thing for the Chargers for what it's worth.

The reply to that by some I'm sure is "well it's lying season". To which all I can say is why lie if you intend to stick at 4 as getting the word is only letting teams know you are open for business.

Now a better response would be "they don't know if MHJ will be available at 4 and are preparing for the event he's not". That may be true, I don't believe it myself but that's for the individual to decide.

Actually, I'd love to make a bet he goes at #8.

I don't think he makes it past the sixth pick, and I'm more inclined to agree with menobrown on this one. Fourth or fifth looks like a thing right now. And no, there's no pipe around.
The sharpest guy I know took up position on JJ +7500 to go 2nd overall about a month ago, and +12500 for him to go 1st overall. He's also a gigantic Michigan homer, but those lines have been completely smoked, particularly 2nd overall.

I'm learning more and more everyday about SF and have more respect for them today than I did this time last year. I still think they put too much importance on the QB position, thus the reason why I haven't taken the plunge.
If you decide to take the plunge make sure that the scoring system doesn't put QB's as the top 15 scorers in the league all but making it a 2QB league. The key to making sure a SF league is worthwhile is to make sure you don't have to start a QB at the SF to be competitive. Scoring should be the same across tiers for all positions.

Agreed. He probably goes around pick 7 or 8.

Clouds seem to be forming towards a draft-day surprise (or perhaps not by then), where Drake Maye is the one to fall.

1. Caleb
2. Daniels
3. JJM

The winds of change have been blowing for weeks, and seem to only be gaining force.

Say what? Nowhere is that hinted at. Most teams like Maye significantly more than Daniels for whatever reason. Some like him more than Caleb. WAS GM Peters apparently had a 5th round grade on Daniels a year ago. I think McCarthy likely passed Daniels at the combine. Which is no big deal. He won't fall far.

Agreed. He probably goes around pick 7 or 8.

Clouds seem to be forming towards a draft-day surprise (or perhaps not by then), where Drake Maye is the one to fall.

1. Caleb
2. Daniels
3. JJM

The winds of change have been blowing for weeks, and seem to only be gaining force.

Say what? Nowhere is that hinted at. Most teams like Maye significantly more than Daniels for whatever reason. Some like him more than Caleb. WAS GM Peters apparently had a 5th round grade on Daniels a year ago. I think McCarthy likely passed Daniels at the combine. Which is no big deal. He won't fall far.

It's hinted at quite strongly and it started before the combine and is stronger since. Here's Rich Eisen at the combine explaining what he's hearing.

He explains what defensive coaches say about preparing for him and then says...

"so you'll hear drake maye this and drake may that but i've been told that's a bunch of cheese you shouldn't you take. daniels is qb2."

WOW

QBs the last two years, their QB rating on 3rd and long, and their percentage getting the first down.

That's as impressive a metric as I have seen this spring.
Two things I'll add:

That chart indicates third and long but someone put together some stats on specifically third and 7+ and as expected he blew away the class with conversion rate of 55%, next highest was 36.9%.

There are scouts who the first thing they do with a QB is ask for just third down cutups.

He was also 7 out of 8 on 4th down. I don't know his exact conversion rate but Michigan was third in the country in 4th down conversion rate and I think it was only dragged down by failed conversion attempts on running plays.

I know the primary knock on him is that he was not asked to do much but hard to ignore when he was asked to do something he was pretty great and that carries more weight with me.

when he was asked to do something he was pretty great

This.

Sample size is the only question for me. It's a major detail, but dude checks off every other box for me, including several important ones that others ahead of him do not.

I don't really understand the love for this guy, he's undersized and didn't will Michigan to a title. Wasn't asked to throw the ball a whole lot, I'm confused and I admit it
I would not want the team I consider my hometown team, i would not want them drafting him in the 1st round, feels very risky.

I would much rather have Penix and I think I've been upfront about that. I don't put Penix in the same category as Williams and Maye but after that it's wide open

Undersized?

McCarthy is 6-2 1/2 219 lbs. Penix 6-3 212 lbs. Williams 6-1 215 lbs.

Also he is just 21, 3 years younger than Penix and way more mobile. McCarthy will put on at least 5 more lbs muscle.

Not sure what kind of pros any of these guys will be as it is always a crap shoot at QB but McCarthy has upside no doubt

I would much rather have Penix and I think I've been upfront about that. I don't put Penix in the same category as Williams and Maye but after that it's wide open

Undersized?

Also he is just 21, 3 years younger than Penix and way more mobile. McCarthy will put on at least 5 more lbs muscle.

Not sure what kind of pros any of these guys will be as it is always a crap shoot at QB but McCarthy has upside no doubt
DG, I saw he was 195, and I haven't seen much otherwise but put that aside.
On what planet if I were an NFL GM would I want to draft a QB who isn't allowed to throw a single pass for an entire Half+
That's quite damning to me and it makes me take a hard pass in the 1st Rd, I really don't see it with JJ.

Gino Toretta won 2 titles with the Miami Hurricanes, sometimes all you're getting is the CEO and that works occasionally but I have not seen enough to draft him
Penix is a much better prospect IMHO and did a ton more with a lot less...I don't even know who the HC was for Washington and don't care because they won't be back in the title game anytime soon.

On what planet if I were an NFL GM would I want to draft a QB who isn't allowed to throw a single pass for an entire Half+
That's quite damning to me and it makes me take a hard pass in the 1st Rd, I really don't see it with JJ.
It's pretty obvious you don't watch Michigan football.

On Planet Wolverine, it makes every bit of sense to break your opponents' will (Penn State) and pound them into submission...against their vaunted No.1 ranked rushing defense...right in front of their own quietly hushed "whiteout" fanbase...all the while missing your head coach (Harbaugh) who had just been suspended only hours before.

That game had absolutely nothing to do with J.J. McCarthy's skills as a quarterback.

p.s. Apologies to PSU fans, this was not meant to be gloating just explaining the rationale as I'm sure you'd do the same in the big house if given the oppty

Last edited:

Undersized?

Gino Toretta won 2 titles with the Miami Hurricanes, sometimes all you're getting is the CEO and that works occasionally but I have not seen enough to draft him
Penix is a much better prospect IMHO and did a ton more with a lot less...I don't even know who the HC was for Washington and don't care because they won't be back in the title game anytime soon.
But that HC may win a title at Alabama...:ROFLMAO:

Undersized?

McCarthy hurt his ankle in the PSU game. Could not plant to pass, could hardly walk after the game.

219 pounds combine weight.

J.J. McCarthy NFL Combine takeaways: McCarthy alleviated some of those concerns by weighing in at 219 pounds in Indianapolis while still logging elite speed numbers in the 3-cone drill and shuttle run.

On Planet Wolverine, it makes every bit of sense to break your opponents' will (Penn State) and pound them into submission...against their vaunted No.1 ranked rushing defense...right in front of their own quietly hushed "whiteout" fanbase...all the while missing your head coach (Harbaugh) who had just been suspended only hours before.

That game had absolutely nothing to do with J.J. McCarthy's skills as a quarterback.

p.s. Apologies to PSU fans, this was not meant to be gloating just explaining the rationale as I'm sure you'd do the same in the big house if given the oppty
So let's not throw a single pass, he couldn't possibly help the cause, is that what you're saying?

Can't have it both ways, sorry...

So let's not throw a single pass, he couldn't possibly help the cause, is that what you're saying?

What I'm saying is that it's you have no idea what you're talking about with regards to that Michigan football game.

And your statement about McCarthy "not being 'allowed' to throw a single pass" is false. He threw a deep ball to A.J. Barner in the 4th quarter that drew a critical PI call in PSU territory.

McCarthy also ran six times for 31 yards in the second half on a bum ankle and was 7/8 passing in the first half, both of which "helped the cause" quite a bit.

Last edited:

What I'm saying is that it's you have no idea what you're talking about with regards to that Michigan football game.

And your statement about McCarthy "not being 'allowed' to throw a single pass" is false. He threw a deep ball to A.J. Barner in the 4th quarter that drew a PI call in PSU territory.

McCarthy also ran six times for 31 yards in the second half on a bum ankle and was 7/8 passing in the first half, both of which "helped the cause" quite a bit.
I hate Michigan but they had a great team all over the field and McCarthy was part of the reason they were so good. I’m in the middle of the McCarthy argument. He has a strong arm, good size, and is plenty athletic enough to use his wheels to get out of trouble or move the chains. He also leaves some doubt on his passing ability because he didn’t have to throw the ball a ton to carry the team. It’s not his fault he didn’t throw the ball a ton and Harbaugh was not hiding him. Why throw the ball when you can rely on an outstanding defense and a terrific running game?

Teams are desperate for a top 10 NFL QB and this kid has the potential to be that QB. He could fail since he isn’t perfect as he seems to struggle throwing to the left but many teams are ready to call his name early in the draft.

I’m not totally sold on JJ but not for the reasons you are saying. The Washington HC just got the Bama job so he’s considered quite good. They don’t just hire anybody to replace Saban.

JJ might be a CEO type but he’s being drafted for his tools, not what he accomplished. He’s a leader, has prototypical size, a strong arm, can make all the NFL throws and is an excellent athlete. As for not throwing against Penn State, JJ was hurt and they didn’t need to throw. Michigan was destroying PSU at the line of scrimmage. JJ didn’t have to throw much period because Michigan was so dominant. He didn’t have to be like Penix and throwing 50 times a game. I think JJ actually didn’t even play in 6 or 7 second halves because Michigan was up so big by half. Plus unlike some other QBs going very high, JJ wasn’t throwing screens. He was going down field, completing tough throws on 3rd and distance.

Link to some highlights and what Thor Nystrom likes about his game

I hate Michigan but they had a great team all over the field and McCarthy was part of the reason they were so good. I’m in the middle of the McCarthy argument. He has a strong arm, good size, and is plenty athletic enough to use his wheels to get out of trouble or move the chains. He also leaves some doubt on his passing ability because he didn’t have to throw the ball a ton to carry the team. It’s not his fault he didn’t throw the ball a ton and Harbaugh was not hiding him. Why throw the ball when you can rely on an outstanding defense and a terrific running game?

Teams are desperate for a top 10 NFL QB and this kid has the potential to be that QB. He could fail since he isn’t perfect as he seems to struggle throwing to the left but many teams are ready to call his name early in the draft.
Spot on analysis

IMO it is entirely valid to be skeptical of McCarthy's NFL prospects due to lack of tape and game situations to evaluate vs. other QBs with more reps.

But any narrative that attributes that lack of tape to not having trust/confidence in his passing skills is ludicrous given how that Michigan team was constructed on both sides of the ball.

Near as I can tell Michigan only trailed in the second half one time last year, against Alabama, and was tied with Ohio St. So obviously he did not need to pass much in the second half of games.

First half stats only here from last year:

McCarthy: 158/216, 1,996 yards, 14/3 TD to int. 169.4 rating.

Maye: 136/221,1,861 yards, 14/3 TD to int, 150.5 rating

Caleb: 160/226, 2,196 yards, 18/4, 175.2 rating

Daniels I won't even mention just to say his season last year blew everyone away and anyone who studied these QB's would say so much, there is no doubt he was the best QB last season, it's just about judging why that season was so much more spectacular then the previous seasons.

But McCarthy vs the other 2, I can't look at this and say that Michigan relied on him to win games any less then NC and USC relied on the other two. The major difference was simply McCarthy and Michigan built big first half leads. McCarthy only attempted 34 passes in the 4th quarter.

That he was every bit on par with these two in the first half, that he's above all of them 3rd and 4th down, I believe will lead teams to have extremely small concerns that he was not asked to carry the team because in fact he was as much as everyone but Daniels, he just carried them to such an early lead they were able to scale it back.

I truly believe this and think the biggest thing teams are asking themselves with him is not whether or not he can carry the load but simply does he have enough sizzle, enough flash enough upside to justify being a top 3-8 pick or will they view him as more of an Alex Smith type and someone teams feel more comfortable taking in the 8-12 range. I do believe the other QB's all flash a little more, their highlights are better and teams that get a little into scouting the flash might not be as high on him.

Near as I can tell Michigan only trailed in the second half one time last year, against Alabama, and was tied with Ohio St. So obviously he did not need to pass much in the second half of games.

Daniels I won't even mention just to say his season last year blew everyone away and anyone who studied these QB's would say so much, there is no doubt he was the best QB last season, it's just about judging why that season was so much more spectacular then the previous seasons.

But McCarthy vs the other 2, I can't look at this and say that Michigan relied on him to win games any less then NC and USC relied on the other two. The major difference was simply McCarthy and Michigan built big first half leads. McCarthy only attempted 34 passes in the 4th quarter.

That he was every bit on par with these two in the first half, that he's above all of them 3rd and 4th down, I believe will lead teams to have extremely small concerns that he was not asked to carry the team because in fact he was as much as everyone but Daniels, he just carried them to such an early lead they were able to scale it back.

I truly believe this and think the biggest thing teams are asking themselves with him is not whether or not he can carry the load but simply does he have enough sizzle, enough flash enough upside to justify being a top 3-8 pick or will they view him as more of an Alex Smith type and someone teams feel more comfortable taking in the 8-12 range. I do believe the other QB's all flash a little more, their highlights are better and teams that get a little into scouting the flash might not be as high on him.

More and more I agree with this line of thinking. Have spent some good time reading up on Maye and Daniels for real life fan purposes and honestly not in love with either for pick #2, but would be fine with either. McCarthy though I think deserves to be in the conversation and if he can gain some steam as you alluded to and remove some of the skepticism nationally, there’s definitely a case he should be pick 2.

Now through the fantasy lends, no idea, whole lot more to go before I worry about it, but as a Skins fan, it’s not totally crazy. And some might say trade down and take him, but that’s the height of arrogance because you arrive at the conclusion that he’s the clear #2, maybe someone else got the same answer. Now maybe you got a logjam and don’t have a strong preference between the three in which case sure, but seems extremely unlikely. Daniels is just a different guy and would have a hard time believing you don’t care which of Maye or McCarthy you end up with.

And your statement about McCarthy "not being 'allowed' to throw a single pass" is false. He threw a deep ball to A.J. Barner in the 4th quarter that drew a critical PI call in PSU territory.

"Be careful not to choke on your own aspirations"

Last edited:

And your statement about McCarthy "not being 'allowed' to throw a single pass" is false. He threw a deep ball to A.J. Barner in the 4th quarter that drew a PI call in PSU territory.

:goodposting:

Thanks, definitely agree on him having a ton of talent around him, that's maybe why I would be gun shy in the 1st Rd
In the NFL, you have to throw 35-40x a game routinely. I tend to agree with you that he's likely gonna go higher than maybe where he would 10-15 years ago.
Just because of the rookie QB contracts.

-Like Penix a lot more and he's going later.

I have no idea if McCarthy will be a good NFL QB, same with all the others. I mean Bryce Young would probably be a second or third round pick in a re-do. Trey Lantz had all the tools and can`t figure out how to play in the NFL. Drafting a QB in the first round is always a risk.

Michigan was always playing with the lead, the o-line was so good they would go on 7-8 minute drives just running every play to end games and their defense was so dominant there was rarely a need to throw in the 4th quarter.

Penix is a more polished passed, but Michigan beat him up good in the title game and he looked rattled. That is every week in the NFL.

In the NFL, you have to throw 35-40x a game routinely.

What is the concern here? That his good QB play for 25 passes would fall apart with 10 more passes?

And further:

Why do you believe he was not allowed to throw. Is it your contention that Michigan was 'hiding' JJ McCarthy?

I want to make sure I understand why you think he wasn't allowed to throw.

Forget the fact that he was barely able to stand on his own two feet on Monday of that week's game. He was hurting pretty bad and yet......

Users who are viewing this thread