What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colts / Browns, Steelers / Rams, When will Refs be held accountable? (1 Viewer)

The games aren't rigged.

NFL officiating right now just isn't very good.
I don't know that this is true. We have the amazing ability these days to see everything in super slow motion from 10 different angles which makes us more aware of the mistakes when they are made.
THIS. I watch some games played from only 20 years ago and I wonder how we even watched games in SD before.

Pickett was definitely short on the sneak, but nobody could've possibly seen that he slipped and his knee touched without replay. The spot seemed fine until after the replays were shown on TV.

And the Steelers aren't the ones who forced McVay to use up all of his timeouts before the 2 minute warning.

The Rams would've still needed to go 60+ yards in 2 minutes with no timeouts against TJ Watt and a defense that had dominated in the 2nd half.

The NFL is not rigged. Bad calls have been part of football since the game began. Some officials are worse than others but they are all human and sometimes make mistakes.

We have video replay where coaches can challenge calls that are obviously bad. If they don't challenge, use their challenges unwisely or blow through all their timeouts before 2 minutes so they can't challenge that is on them.

The NFL is not rigged. Bad calls have been part of football since the game began. Some officials are worse than others but they are all human and sometimes make mistakes.

We have video replay where coaches can challenge calls that are obviously bad. If they don't challenge, use their challenges unwisely or blow through all their timeouts before 2 minutes so they can't challenge that is on them.
What chance did the Colts have on those 2 plays within the last minute? They couldn't challenge their incompetence.

What chance did the Colts have on those 2 plays within the last minute? They couldn't challenge their incompetence.
Yep. Those bad/iffy calls literally changed the outcome of the game since the Colts had recovered the ball for the turnover and the game was over if that ticky tack hold wasn't called.

I didn't like the illegal contact call because both defender and receiver made contact and I thought it should not have been a penalty either way. Still there was contact and the defender did reach out and grab the WR, there is no denying that. I have seen worse calls.

I agree 100% the pass into the endzone was uncatchable but refs rarely make that call. The defender did grab the guy, no question and had he played cleanly there wouldn't have been a need to rely on the refs.

In any case, to answer your question to which you obviously know the answer, those were not challengeable calls. It sucks to get bad calls but to say the NFL is rigged? Not buying it.

Ticky tack calls are made and other calls are missed all the time though. They're made and missed in all 4 quarters.

They just tend to stand out more when they happen at the end of the game, but human error was, is, an always will be part of the game as long as referees are humans who make on the spot decisions.

I can't imagine anyone would watch the NFL if every play could be challenged and slowed down to see if what was called should have been.

Ticky tack calls are made and other calls are missed all the time though. They're made and missed in all 4 quarters.

They just tend to stand out more when they happen at the end of the game, but human error was, is, an always will be part of the game as long as referees are humans who make on the spot decisions.

I can't imagine anyone would watch the NFL if every play could be challenged and slowed down to see if what was called should have been.
Excuse me, but there is a limit to their number of challenges, so no, it wouldn't prolong the game anymore than it already does with the current challenges. Also, penalties should be reviewed in the last 2 minutes regardless of the number of challenges a team has, just as TDs are. If this had happened in the Super Bowl.........oh boy.....

I'll say the silent part out loud. The NFL needs to hire full time officials and stop worrying about checking boxes vs finding the most quality referees out there. Officiating has always been bad, not THIS bad.

And until officiating gets better, the challenge system needs to change. It's egregious the Rams couldn't challenge. Refs make too many bad decisions for the current challenge system to make sense. And on that note, penalties should be allowed to be challenged as well. At the least that spot should have been changed without an official challenge or review as other calls seem to be these days. Refs can kill drives or extend them with BS, and many times they take it too far

Would not be the first time a Steelers QB got the benefit of the doubt from the referees when being stopped short of the goal line (see: Super Bowl XL against the Seahawks).

Excuse me, but there is a limit to their number of challenges, so no, it wouldn't prolong the game anymore than it already does with the current challenges. Also, penalties should be reviewed in the last 2 minutes regardless of the number of challenges a team has, just as TDs are. If this had happened in the Super Bowl.........oh boy.....
Sure, if the solution is to allow anything to be challenged on any play without increasing the number of challenges, great. I don't want to see Tomlin screw up any more challenges than I already have to.

Otherwise, every clutch, grab, and contact can be debated. It's always convenient to point to certain plays that come at high profile moments, but nobody talks about the missed calls in the 1st quarter that ultimately can have just as much impact on the flow of a game.

Fact is, calls go both ways through the entire game, not just the last few minutes. Calls are missed and blown, but overall, referees are generally very good at what they do despite the issues. They need to make judgement calls at full speed in less time than it takes for you to take a sip of beer while sitting on your couch watching the game.

Sure, if the solution is to allow anything to be challenged on any play without increasing the number of challenges, great. I don't want to see Tomlin screw up any more challenges than I already have to.

Otherwise, every clutch, grab, and contact can be debated. It's always convenient to point to certain plays that come at high profile moments, but nobody talks about the missed calls in the 1st quarter that ultimately can have just as much impact on the flow of a game.

Fact is, calls go both ways through the entire game, not just the last few minutes. Calls are missed and blown, but overall, referees are generally very good at what they do despite the issues. They need to make judgement calls at full speed in less time than it takes for you to take a sip of beer while sitting on your couch watching the game.
What is what happened to the Colts happened in the Super Bowl? With the amount of money being bet on football and how much is at stake, why not do something now before it happens on the biggest stage?

I'll say the silent part out loud. The NFL needs to hire full time officials and stop worrying about checking boxes vs finding the most quality referees out there. Officiating has always been bad, not THIS bad.

I don't disagree that officials should be full time but that has never been the case. I am not sure that I understand why this is why officiating has gotten worse

What is what happened to the Colts happened in the Super Bowl? With the amount of money being bet on football and how much is at stake, why not do something now before it happens on the biggest stage?
[/QUOTE]
So what do you want to change?

So what do you want to change?
[/QUOTE]
Easy, have penalties reviewed in the last two minutes of the game by a third party officiating crew in NY or wherever.

Would not be the first time a Steelers QB got the benefit of the doubt from the referees when being stopped short of the goal line (see: Super Bowl XL against the Seahawks).
I'll bite LOL

Never mind that there's video evidence and pictures of Ben in mid-air with the ball crossing the plane....
If there is I’ve yet to see it. Short of any VAR technology like they use for the World Cup, I’ve yet to see any definitive angles that show the ball crossing the plane. It looked short both in real time and on the broadcast’s replay, but as I said earlier, Roethsliberger got the benefit of the doubt anyway. It was close enough and there wasn’t clear enough evidence to overturn the original call so it stood.

The Pickett sneak was an obvious blunder by the refs but he got the benefit of the doubt and it would’ve been overturned had it been challenged but the Rams had no timeouts left.

It’s okay, I’ll be the first to admit my team has received those benefits from time to time. I’m forever thankful to Walt Coleman. ;) The NFL owed us one after Ben Dreith in 1976.

Last edited:
Easy, have penalties reviewed in the last two minutes of the game by a third party officiating crew in NY or wherever.

So if the bad calls in the Colts game happened at 2:15 and 2:05 left in the game you would have been cool with that?
You have to start somewhere.
The problem with that is, reviewing judgment calls likely gets you nowhere, as most officials have too much pride/arrogance to look at a review of a judgment call like holding or PI and say, "I got it wrong," to the point of changing it (as opposed to a black and white call like offsides or a false start), so the calls likely would just stand anyway.

It happened to the Saints on a blown PI call in the NFC Championship game. Not the Super Bowl, but it's not like calls haven't been missed in Super Bowls before. Every Super Bowl, every year, has had missed calls and ticky tack calls. Nobody knows how games were impacted by them, because everything changes on every play.

It's no different than a referee placing a ball in a specific spot and a team gaining or failing to gain a first down by 1/2 of a chain link. Do you really think they go the ball in the exact spot? Human error is part of the game and there's no way to legislate it out. Win some, lose some.

I don't disagree that officials should be full time but that has never been the case. I am not sure that I understand why this is why officiating has gotten worse
The NFL is more worried about diversity than hiring the best officials. Give me all white women if they're going to be the best officials. Give me all black men, I don't care. I want a game to be run smoothly by officials, nothing more, nothing less. Hiring goals are a problem and it's not hard to see. The challenge system needs to be updated as well. We have so many angles and perfect camera shots, some of these calls that are so glaringly wrong need to be fixed on the spot. If the average Joe can see how bad a call was on a standard broadcast, so can the NFL. With so many camera angles, UHD, etc you would think the NFL could start to find a way to become much more objective when it seems like it's going the other direction. Many calls in the NFL are subjective, based on opinion, but opinions are often wrong and if a bad call is seen it needs to be reversed.

So if the bad calls in the Colts game happened at 2:15 and 2:05 left in the game you would have been cool with that?
The problem with that is, reviewing judgment calls likely gets you nowhere, as most officials have too much pride/arrogance to look at a review of a judgment call like holding or PI and say, "I got it wrong," to the point of changing it (as opposed to a black and white call like offsides or a false start), so the calls likely would just stand anyway.
Well, there was no doubt about the PI call. The ball bounced into the stands and was throw way out of bounds, forget the height of it. That's the type of call that would have been corrected. If this type of crap happens in the Super Bowl it's going to be a big black eye for the NFL. Help it now why you have the chance.

I actually agree on this. I’m sure refs don’t mind correcting their mistakes once in a while but it’ll be a bad look if they’re constantly correcting it. They’d much rather say they got it right the first time. I remember that one year when DPI was challengeable and not once did they overturn a call, out of principle it seemed.

They have a command center now. They reverse calls already. Objective ones, not subjective, yes, but they could take it a step further. Take it out of the hands of the officials if the call is glaringly wrong.

I actually agree on this. I’m sure refs don’t mind correcting their mistakes once in a while but it’ll be a bad look if they’re constantly correcting it. They’d much rather say they got it right the first time. I remember that one year when DPI was challengeable and not once did they overturn a call, out of principle it seemed.
A mile out of bounds and a mile high. What kind of principle would that be?

A mile out of bounds and a mile high. What kind of principle would that be?
In that case, there’s no DPI since it’s uncatchable. But was that the case every challenge in 2019? Probably not.

Personally I don't think the illegal contact would have been reversed even if it was reviewed. The uncatchable ball probably would have been reversed if it was a reviewable call (not sure it is) but it would have been a moot point if the defender hadn't interfered, because had the throw been catchable it would have been a legitimate interference call.

I am not a big fan of rules changing in the last 2 minutes but understand that some things have to, especially concerning injuries and the clock. However the more you can avoid it, the better as far as I am concerned. A bad call in the first quarter can cost a team as much as one in the last minutes of the game.

Personally I don't think the illegal contact would have been reversed even if it was reviewed. The uncatchable ball probably would have been reversed if it was a reviewable call (not sure it is) but it would have been a moot point if the defender hadn't interfered, because had the throw been catchable it would have been a legitimate interference call.

I am not a big fan of rules changing in the last 2 minutes but understand that some things have to, especially concerning injuries and the clock. However the more you can avoid it, the better as far as I am concerned. A bad call in the first quarter can cost a team as much as one in the last minutes of the game.
When it happens on the big stage poop will hit the fan.

End of the innocence can be traced back to the "Tuck Rule"... we ALL saw it... we ALL know it was a sham... and - as the organizers of professional wrestling came to terms with - we DON'T CARE. NFL was like, "See, they keep watching. They don't care if its fake. From now on we will prioritize storylines/entertainment over fair play because THAT'S where the money is."

I have come to terms with; either the NFL is scripted, or gambling organizations are getting to these refs.

I cannot find any other plausible explanation for what we saw at the end of that IND/CLE game (or in the KCC/NYJ game, or the Tuck Rule, or <insert weekly debacle here>). These incidents are on the rise and have migrated well beyond - WELL BEYOND - what can be described as just a "bad call"... something really stinks here.

It already has, multiple times. The most recent that I recall is the 2019 Saints / Rams playoff game.

I get that you're mad the Colts got screwed on a couple calls, I would be too but bad calls are part of the game and these things tend to even out. Sometimes you get a bad call that benefits you, and sometimes you don't. Remember this one: https://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs05/news/story?id=2294309. This call was correct on the field, reviewed and incorrectly overturned!!!!

It already has, multiple times. The most recent that I recall is the 2019 Saints / Rams playoff game.

I get that you're mad the Colts got screwed on a couple calls, I would be too but bad calls are part of the game and these things tend to even out. Sometimes you get a bad call that benefits you, and sometimes you don't. Remember this one: https://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs05/news/story?id=2294309
At the very least fine bad officiating, or eliminate officials altogether if they get n number of bad marks. They say officials are graded and that they can be left off playoff games, but that isn't enough accountability in my opinion. Nothing will happen to Shawn Smith's crew, specifically Dyrol Prioleau. Players are fined for their actions on the field, so should officials.

Last edited:

I get that you're mad the Colts got screwed on a couple calls, I would be too but bad calls are part of the game and these things tend to even out. Sometimes you get a bad call that benefits you, and sometimes you don't. Remember this one: https://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs05/news/story?id=2294309
At the very least fine bad officiating, or eliminate officials altogether if they get n number of bad marks. They say officials are graded and that they can be left off playoff games, but that isn't enough accountability in my opinion. Nothing will happen to Shawn Smith. Players are fined for their actions on the field, so should officials.
nothing will happen to Smith because he didn't throw either flag or make the spot.... so he won't be graded on those....he stays with the QB on all pass plays and has no clue on forward progress from his angle on a sneak.....

At the very least fine bad officiating, or eliminate officials altogether if they get n number of bad marks. They say officials are graded and that they can be left off playoff games, but that isn't enough accountability in my opinion. Nothing will happen to Shawn Smith. Players are fined for their actions on the field, so should officials.
nothing will happen to Smith because he didn't throw either flag or make the spot.... so he won't be graded on those....he stays with the QB on all pass plays and has no clue on forward progress from his angle on a sneak.....
It was his crew, so that's why I mentioned him. Whoever the culprit was should be fined and the public should know who gets the bad marks instead of it being private.

It was his crew, so that's why I mentioned him. Whoever the culprit was should be fined and the public should know who gets the bad marks instead of it being private.
I believe It was Dyrol Prioleau, who also was the guy who favored the Patriots in deflategate. An obvious Colts hater.

Last edited:
Find me better officials. Where will you find them? These are the top 1%. Even the checkboxes are good officials.
Most of these guys put full time hours in during the season and close to it in the off season. These officials love the sport of football.
They have no bias and are not out to get your team.
Who cares? Just make them held accountable and not just penalized by leaving them out of the playoffs. Also make it public. Players are fined and it is very public.

Find me better officials. Where will you find them? These are the top 1%. Even the checkboxes are good officials.
Most of these guys put full time hours in during the season and close to it in the off season. These officials love the sport of football.
Who cares? Just make them held accountable and not just penalized by leaving them out of the playoffs. Also make it public. Players are fined and it is very public.
Are players fined for missing a block, holding, or false start?
Players are fined for uniform violations, dangerous plays, and off field items.

These were collective bargained. Same with the officials, it is in their contract.
Would you feel better knowing Dyrol got 5 demerits for missing a DPI, or a spot?

These were collective bargained. Same with the officials, it is in their contract.
Would you feel better knowing Dyrol got 5 demerits for missing a DPI, or a spot?
I want accountability

I want accountability

When they do something egregious, they lose games. Egregious is not a judgement call. It is a wrong application of the rule.
They fired an official midseason a couple years ago.

When they are deemed not good enough, they do not get rehired for the next season. I know a couple of former NFL officials, that were let go after a couple of years, because they were not good enough for the NFL. They are in D1 doing a great job.

do you want the whole world have access and to sit in on your evaluations at your job.....

players are fined for many things....bad judgement is not one of them....

I want accountability
no...you want accountability that fits your agenda....these guys are held accountable behind the scenes like most people at their jobs....in fact they are probably held more accountable than anybody at their jobs....they are literally graded on every single play of every single game even if they may not have been directly involved in it.....they get reprimanded, downgraded, etc. based on performance every week....promoted/demoted/playoffs/no playoffs...I can tell you are basically asking that they get tarred and feathered in some type of public forum.....just not gonna happen.....just like you and me at our jobs...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread