What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

colts to trade edge? (1 Viewer)

It makes no sense for the Dolphins to trade the #2--where they'd land an rb better than Edge if they wanted one
:confused: Better than Edge?? :no:
Ronnie Brown?Most likely, from this point on, yes.
I'll take a proven commodity like Edge ANY time. You're probably the same type of person who claimed for the last 5 years that CMartin would slow down.Edge is a top 5 RB in this league. Rookies are rookies. Some pan out, some do not.
Totally agree. Fantasy people over-rate the rookies every year. Edge has silly talent. He can run for power, get outside, catch, block, etc. and he's 27 years old meaning that anyone who signs him can reasonably expect to get about 5 years of excellent production from him, maybe more. Since you aren't going to sign the guy to a contract longer than that anyway, age is COMPLETELY irrelavent.Any one of the "big three" this year MIGHT end up being as good as Edge - it is possible. They also might end up being as good as Ron Dayne, who was ALSO heavily hyped coming out of college.

It's hard to believe some team might get Edge for less than a first!
What did Indy trade Marshall Faulk for? And Marshall Faulk >>>>>>>>>>> Edge
Marshall BECAME better than Edge is now with the Rams. He had his 1st "great" season in several years during his last year as a Colt - and the team was 3-13 that year. Still a tough trade to swallow in hindsight - no question. But the key word is hindsight

It makes no sense for the Dolphins to trade the #2--where they'd land an rb better than Edge if they wanted one
I'll take a proven commodity like Edge ANY time. You're probably the same type of person who claimed for the last 5 years that CMartin would slow down.Edge is a top 5 RB in this league. Rookies are rookies. Some pan out, some do not.
Edge is not a top 5 back if he is not in Indy. He would be lucky to be a top 10 back if traded to the Fins. It's much easier to run against 7 in the box with the best offense in the league than 8-9 in the box with no line and no qb which would be the case in Miami. Edge doesn't have burst that he once had and it would be a huge mistake for the Fins to trade for him at this point if they have to pay him an outrageous contract. Edge is not good enough to carry an offense at this point in his career.

Edge is not a top 5 back if he is not in Indy. He would be lucky to be a top 10 back if traded to the Fins. It's much easier to run against 7 in the box with the best offense in the league than 8-9 in the box with no line and no qb which would be the case in Miami. Edge doesn't have burst that he once had and it would be a huge mistake for the Fins to trade for him at this point if they have to pay him an outrageous contract. Edge is not good enough to carry an offense at this point in his career.
Sorry, you're crazy. Obviously the Colts line is better than Miami. But to ssay Edge cannot carry a team is nuts. Believe it or not, Miami does have weapons on offense to take some pressure off of Edge. Besides, that isn't what I am arguing here.

Would Ronnie Brown have a better chance at producing in Miami then Edge??

With Edge, you know what you're getting. With Ronnie Brown, you're getting... :confused:

Sorry, you're crazy. Obviously the Colts line is better than Miami. But to ssay Edge cannot carry a team is nuts. Believe it or not, Miami does have weapons on offense to take some pressure off of Edge. Besides, that isn't what I am arguing here.

With Edge, you know what you're getting. With Ronnie Brown, you're getting... :confused:
A few things1. Who cares if he's a top 5 in Indy, but not a top 10 in Miami? Does he help the team more than the picks/Surtain/etc.? We may care as FFers where he is, but whatever team had Edge would benefit, even if his stats go down.

2. Edge is a top 10 RB at least, period.

3. Edge may not be able to be the sole weapon, but he won't be.

4. I like Brown, and I'd say he probably is worth more than Edge for a rebuilding team - Hence the Miami/Indy trade does not make sense if it involves the 1.02

Edit before the grammar nazis come.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I own or GM the Colts, I'm looking for the best way to move Edge for anything of value, avoiding a monster extension to an aging back. By citing the stadium and other big contracts recently give out, Colts FO has the excuse they're looking for.Screwd move by the Colts FO if you ask me. Thank god my Chargers have LT2 so they won't even sniff this disaster waiting to happen.
Edge is 1 year older than LT2. Is Tomlinson an aging back about to enter a disaster situation? The Colts franchised Edge, in doing so they don't have to pay the huge bonus & keeep him motivated for his next payday. All other things equal, when Edge is playing, the Colts are a high end playoff team. Their record without him over the last 4 years is way under .500. He won't be that easy to replace.

If I own or GM the Colts, I'm looking for the best way to move Edge for anything of value, avoiding a monster extension to an aging back. By citing the stadium and other big contracts recently give out, Colts FO has the excuse they're looking for.

Screwd move by the Colts FO if you ask me. Thank god my Chargers have LT2 so they won't even sniff this disaster waiting to happen.
Edge is 1 year older than LT2. Is Tomlinson an aging back about to enter a disaster situation? The Colts franchised Edge, in doing so they don't have to pay the huge bonus & keeep him motivated for his next payday. All other things equal, when Edge is playing, the Colts are a high end playoff team. Their record without him over the last 4 years is way under .500. He won't be that easy to replace.
I've often wondered when a RB becomes "an aging back". ;) 8/01/78 - so 27 at the start of camp

vs.

6/23/79 - 26

I better move LT when I have the chance!

Sorry, you're crazy. Obviously the Colts line is better than Miami. But to ssay Edge cannot carry a team is nuts. Believe it or not, Miami does have weapons on offense to take some pressure off of Edge.

Besides, that isn't what I am arguing here.

I think we may be missing the point here. Would Miami be better with edge? Sure. Is he a good fit here? No. Edge is a great back with a lot of talent and for a team that needs him, he will be a special player. However, he is not what Miami needs now. Miami needs room to manuver in the salary cap and for the next few years, they need draft picks. Edge doesn't give them salary flexibility, and he definitely will not give them cap space. As I said, if we rewind a year in terms of the RW fiasco and have wanny and speilman running the show with edge for surtain or a number 1 or whatever, then this is a no brainer. However, this years' dolphins ain't last years' dolphins. Championship aspirations are on hold at the moment. A solid foundation is what we are builing now. With edge in the fold, McMichael is bye bye next year and so are some other players on D just to get to the cap, forget about spending. Miami is setting things up for cap room in 2 years and edge's contract demands would preclude that.

Edge in Arizona is fine with me. He ain't gonna be a fin.

Edit to add: I called the "edge not a phin" thing last year right after the RW fiasco. If he was willing to sign a friendly contract for his hometown team, maybe, but this is full priced edge we are talking about.

Sorry, you're crazy. Obviously the Colts line is better than Miami. But to ssay Edge cannot carry a team is nuts. Believe it or not, Miami does have weapons on offense to take some pressure off of Edge.

I think we may be missing the point here. Would Miami be better with edge? Sure. Is he a good fit here? No. Edge is a great back with a lot of talent and for a team that needs him, he will be a special player. However, he is not what Miami needs now. Miami needs room to manuver in the salary cap and for the next few years, they need draft picks. Edge doesn't give them salary flexibility, and he definitely will not give them cap space. As I said, if we rewind a year in terms of the RW fiasco and have wanny and speilman running the show with edge for surtain or a number 1 or whatever, then this is a no brainer. However, this years' dolphins ain't last years' dolphins. Championship aspirations are on hold at the moment. A solid foundation is what we are builing now. With edge in the fold, McMichael is bye bye next year and so are some other players on D just to get to the cap, forget about spending. Miami is setting things up for cap room in 2 years and edge's contract demands would preclude that.

Edit to add: I called the "edge not a phin" thing last year right after the RW fiasco. If he was willing to sign a friendly contract for his hometown team, maybe, but this is full priced edge we are talking about.
Gator, I agree with you 100%.My statement had nothing to do with SHOULD Edge go to Miami. I was defending my opinion that I would rather have Edge, in general, over Ronnie Brown. Others have made it seem like they believe Ronnie Brown IS better than Edge. I disagree.

Excellent, smart post. I'm a Pats fan, but I would hope (for the Dolphins' fans sake) the braintrust in Miami is in lockstep with your thinking here.

Miami has some decent wideouts/TE but Feeley is nothing to get warm and fuzzy over.As to your question whether Ronnie Brown would have a better chance of producing than Edge? I absolutely agree that for the short term that Edge's production will be >= Ron Brown but at what cost? Salary cap hell/trading valuable pieces to acquire him IMO is not worth it since I don't believe they are a playoff team with Edge. So why not save the cap money and build from within.

http://sptimes.com/2005/03/10/Bucs/Bucs_sh...terest_in.shtml

article about the Bucs interest.

Honestly, if they could get this guy for their second-rounder and maybe a young defensive player like Torrie Cox, then draft somebody like Mike Williams at #5, you're looking at a very explosive offense next season. I'd like to see them hold onto their glut of draft choices, but you'd have a hard time finding somebody in the second-round who will be expected to produce like Edge would.

I'm just not sure I want to see the Bucs tie their cap up into a guy with that ACL past. Say what you will, but it's a concern.

EDIT: He is only 26 though. That's pretty insane. Seems like he's been around forever.

Here's my thoughts on Edge going to Miami. I think it makes sense in this manner. The Phins have lots of holes to fill. They have a couple of pieces on the table that seem to be tradeable, Surtain and their DE that does not want to play LB. If the Phins could trade Taylor and a mid round pick this year or a 2nd-3rd next year they could use the #2 overall for one of the QB's and solve two big question marks on the team. They will need to grab O-linemen in the draft or via FA but if they grab a proven vet like James and use that #2 to fill other holes, like the gaping one at QB, then I believe that Edge to Miami is not only possible but a good deal for the Dolphins (as long as they don't overpay). They will build around the rookie QB, draft a RB in 2006 or 07 all the while bolstering the O-line....

Here's my thoughts on Edge going to Miami. I think it makes sense in this manner. The Phins have lots of holes to fill. They have a couple of pieces on the table that seem to be tradeable, Surtain and their DE that does not want to play LB.

If the Phins could trade Taylor and a mid round pick this year or a 2nd-3rd next year they could use the #2 overall for one of the QB's and solve two big question marks on the team.

They will need to grab O-linemen in the draft or via FA but if they grab a proven vet like James and use that #2 to fill other holes, like the gaping one at QB, then I believe that Edge to Miami is not only possible but a good deal for the Dolphins (as long as they don't overpay). They will build around the rookie QB, draft a RB in 2006 or 07 all the while bolstering the O-line....
Are you sugesting that the Dolphins trade Jason Taylor AND a mid round pick for Edgerrin James? What are people smoking in this thread?

Here's my thoughts on Edge going to Miami.  I think it makes sense in this manner. The Phins have lots of holes to fill.  They have a couple of pieces on the table that seem to be tradeable, Surtain and their DE that does not want to play LB. 

If the Phins could trade Taylor and a mid round pick this year or a 2nd-3rd next year they could use the #2 overall for one of the QB's and solve two big question marks on the team. 

They will need to grab O-linemen in the draft or via FA but if they grab a proven vet like James and use that #2 to fill other holes, like the gaping one at QB, then I believe that Edge to Miami is not only possible but a good deal for the Dolphins (as long as they don't overpay).  They will build around the rookie QB, draft a RB in 2006 or 07 all the while bolstering the O-line....
Are you sugesting that the Dolphins trade Jason Taylor AND a mid round pick for Edgerrin James? What are people smoking in this thread?
A 31 year old DE for a 26 year RB?Where is the problem??

Here's my thoughts on Edge going to Miami.  I think it makes sense in this manner. The Phins have lots of holes to fill.  They have a couple of pieces on the table that seem to be tradeable, Surtain and their DE that does not want to play LB. 

They will need to grab O-linemen in the draft or via FA but if they grab a proven vet like James and use that #2 to fill other holes, like the gaping one at QB, then I believe that Edge to Miami is not only possible but a good deal for the Dolphins (as long as they don't overpay).  They will build around the rookie QB, draft a RB in 2006 or 07 all the while bolstering the O-line....
That's exactly what I'm saying. They have a possible malcontent on the D-line and a dearth of D-Linemen. The Colts need help on D and would probably want a sweetener pick to seal the deal. How many more years does Taylor have left? Do you see him going to the probowl in 5 years when he's 36? How about 3 years when he's 34? I don't. But he may have enough left this year and next to help the Colts get over the hump and into the big game....

That's exactly what I'm saying. They have a possible malcontent on the D-line and a dearth of D-Linemen. The Colts need help on D and would probably want a sweetener pick to seal the deal. How many more years does Taylor have left? Do you see him going to the probowl in 5 years when he's 36? How about 3 years when he's 34? I don't. But he may have enough left this year and next to help the Colts get over the hump and into the big game....
Do you see Edge going to the probowl in 5 years when he's 31? How about 3 years when he's 29? I don't.

That's exactly what I'm saying.  They have a possible malcontent on the D-line and a dearth of D-Linemen.  The Colts need help on D and would probably want a sweetener pick to seal the deal.  How many more years does Taylor have left?  Do you see him going to the probowl in 5 years when he's 36?  How about 3 years when he's 34?  I don't.  But he may have enough left this year and next to help the Colts get over the hump and into the big game....
Do you see Edge going to the probowl in 5 years when he's 31? How about 3 years when he's 29? I don't.
Actually, most stud RB's are highly productive until 30 and in the last couple of years that proverbial 30 year wall most RB's hit has been moved back a year to 31. If the Dolphins have any kind of a line, I surely see Edge in the Probowl at 29. 31 is pushing it, but 29, yes. How many guys come back from blowing the knee to rush for more than 1K yards. I think I can count them on one hand, Edge, Jamal Anderson (Just barely and then faded away), Jamal Lewis, and probably McGahee eventually. I can't think of any others off the top of my head. If he can do that, the guy can surely make the probowl at 29. If Curtis Martin can win the Rushing Title at 31, I think Edge can make the probowl at 29. Also realize that he will be playing on grass should he be traded to Miami as opposed to the worst turf in the league....

A buddy of mine just heard from a friend in Miami that the Phins and the Colts are close to a deal that would send James to Miami for Surtain and a 4th rounder. No link yet, but I'm looking for it.....

The Colts might need to through in a 5th/6th round pick with Edge to balance that deal out, but Surtain and 1.02 would be a great deal for the Colts.How are Benson's hands?

The Colts might need to through in a 5th/6th round pick with Edge to balance that deal out, but Surtain and 1.02 would be a great deal for the Colts.

How are Benson's hands?
forget about the 1.02 that was based on an inflated value for edge. surtain and a 4th sounds more like it.

I posted before getting into the meaty replies. I agree, that still sounds like a pretty fair deal.

The Colts might need to through in a 5th/6th round pick with Edge to balance that deal out, but Surtain and 1.02 would be a great deal for the Colts.

How are Benson's hands?
forget about the 1.02 that was based on an inflated value for edge. surtain and a 4th sounds more like it.

A buddy of mine just heard from a friend in Miami that the Phins and the Colts are close to a deal that would send James to Miami for Surtain and a 4th rounder. No link yet, but I'm looking for it.....
Why is everyone stuck on Indy getting Surtain? They are looking to create cap space, and Dungy and Polian have said time and AGAIN, CB's are over-priced (over-valued). I really have a tough time buying that Indy is looking to add Surtain at all. I think he'd be great, I just don't see them shifting the cap space they were going to have chewed up by Edge into a relatively similar # for a CB!I'd think they will move Edge, but really don't think they'd take on Surtain at his current price (isn't he also around %8million cap #??). If Surtain would restructure, and bring that number close to $3.5-4 million...well, then it'd be worth discussing.

Here's a thought though. Edge + 1.29 to Minnesota for the 1.7 + Michael Bennett? Colts won't keep 2 1st rounders, this I can say for sure! :)

Read on the blogger that TB is interested in Edge. Can someone please explain how they could possibly do that in their present situation?

Here's the link:

http://www.620wdae.com/localsportsstory.ht...=20050310132145
It would have to be heavily back-loaded. He'd almost have to play for free this year. That would mean the cap hit from the SB alone would be 4-5 mill for the next three years after that (assuming he wants a $15M SB, which is what I heard), and I hope the Bucs don't throw that kind of money at him.

We'll see.

Here's a thought though. Edge + 1.29 to Minnesota for the 1.7 + Michael Bennett? Colts won't keep 2 1st rounders, this I can say for sure! :)
Keep dreaming. The 1.07 won't be dealt, and Minnesota doesn't need a RB.

Read on the blogger that TB is interested in Edge. Can someone please explain how they could possibly do that in their present situation?

Here's the link:

It would have to be heavily back-loaded. He'd almost have to play for free this year. That would mean the cap hit from the SB alone would be 4-5 mill for the next three years after that (assuming he wants a $15M SB, which is what I heard), and I hope the Bucs don't throw that kind of money at him.

We'll see.
As tight as they've been the last couple of years I would be shocked if they acquired Edge. With the talent they currently have and that can be acquire in the draft, this wouldn't make much sense anyway. I know Edge would be an upgrade but from where they are and to where they could be via the draft I think it would be a mistake for them. Further, the draft would be easier on their cap than Edge. Acquiring Edge would have a crippling effect on them across the board for a couple of years. Not a good fit IMO.

Here's a thought though.  Edge + 1.29 to Minnesota for the 1.7 + Michael Bennett?  Colts won't keep 2 1st rounders, this I can say for sure! :)
Keep dreaming. The 1.07 won't be dealt, and Minnesota doesn't need a RB.
Well, they need a RB to be THE RB. If Tice et. al is serious about going to a strong D + power running (ball control) team...well, they got SOD (until he get in trouble 1 more time, then he's FINISHED). It's a dicey situation. They could add a guy to actually replace Randy's starpower/threat and offload a guy that never worked out for them.If there's no salt in the "power running" plan, then yeah...it makes NO sense.

He's getting grilled by Adam Schein and John Riggins on Sirius NFL Radio.. he just keeps saying he wants a long-term contract, doesn't matter what team. He's talking about the Colts in the past tense though, so he's definitely looking to get out.

Just heard on the Dan Patrick Show from Chris Mortensen that Arizona may be interested in getting involved.Sorry if a :honda: If this were to happen, it would cap off a GREAT offseason for Denny and the Cardinals.

Wouldn't the number two pick sign a contract similar to what Edge wants? I'm not sure there's a lot of cap savings in having the number two pick instead of Edge.

Just heard on the Dan Patrick Show from Chris Mortensen that Arizona may be interested in getting involved.

Sorry if a :honda:

If this were to happen, it would cap off a GREAT offseason for Denny and the Cardinals.
Adding Edge could easily mean playoffs in that division.

Andre Johnson signed a six-year contract worth almost $39 million, including a $13.5 million signing bonus. (He was the number three pick in 2003 IIRC).The Raiders have signed No. 2 overall pick Robert Gallery to a seven-year contract worth a reported $60 million, according to the Oakland Tribune. Gallery's signing bonus was said to be around $14 million.Portis’ deal is 8 years for 50.5 million with 17 million in bonuses.

Wouldn't the number two pick sign a contract similar to what Edge wants? I'm not sure there's a lot of cap savings in having the number two pick instead of Edge.
except that the #2 pick's best years are definitely ahead of him. with edge, that is debatable.

except that the #2 pick's best years are definitely ahead of him. with edge, that is debatable.
Well my point was if the Colts can't afford Edge, how can they afford the number two pick?

Here's the link:

We'll see.
It wouldn't be that hard to sign him to a 10 year deal with a $15m bonus that only has a cap hit of $1.5m a year.

This was taken from another topic but seems to make alot of sense.3-Way Trade with each receiving ...AZ : EdgeINDI : HenryBUFF: LJ SheltonI am sure that somehow Indi also receives a pick.

Users who are viewing this thread