What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cooking supplies - good AND bad (1 Viewer)

1) An immersion blender. You can blend up soups, chili, sauces as they cook and clean up is a breeze. GREAT tool.

2) A peppergrinder. Basic and probably assumed but hasn't been listed and it makes a huge difference.

3) Parchment paper. When baking anything, it helps make it completely non-stick. Bacon, meatballs, cookies, etc.

1) An immersion blender. You can blend up soups, chili, sauces as they cook and clean up is a breeze. GREAT tool. 2) A peppergrinder. Basic and probably assumed but hasn't been listed and it makes a huge difference. 3) Parchment paper. When baking anything, it helps make it completely non-stick. Bacon, meatballs, cookies, etc.
:goodposting: All great additions.

Love the immersion blender for pureed soups. Parchment paper (plus pre-steaming) is the secret to perfect oven-baked wings.

Butcher block is nice for everyday cutting. A plastic chicken only board is kinda necessary. Flexible plastic boards can be useful. And while the kitchen blow torches are cute, if you're serious get a real Coleman torch and be careful. That reminds me, if you have gas a fire extinguisher is not optional.

FatUncleJerryBuss said:
What brand do you guys recommend for a chef knive?
I've got a decent set of J. A. Henckle knives. I started with the block + like 4 knives and I've slowly built on them. Not cheap, but if you get them and a small sharpener, and you just use the fine sharpener from time to time to keep the edge, they're great. SUPER sharp. The steak knives are no joke. I'd NEVER give on to a kid...truthfully I might not even use one myself around a kid. My wife stabbed herself in the wrist with one accidentally while prepping some food and needed stitches.
Wow, my wife is an accident waiting to happen. Would need to keep her away from these but it sounds like what I am looking for.

FatUncleJerryBuss said:
What brand do you guys recommend for a chef knive?
I've got a decent set of J. A. Henckle knives. I started with the block + like 4 knives and I've slowly built on them. Not cheap, but if you get them and a small sharpener, and you just use the fine sharpener from time to time to keep the edge, they're great. SUPER sharp. The steak knives are no joke. I'd NEVER give on to a kid...truthfully I might not even use one myself around a kid. My wife stabbed herself in the wrist with one accidentally while prepping some food and needed stitches.
Wow, my wife is an accident waiting to happen. Would need to keep her away from these but it sounds like what I am looking for.
Kitchenaid actually makes some really good quality knives and theyre relatively inexpensive...

Super sharp and stylish too. Cant complain at all...

Anyone have a good 11' or 12' square griddle (a smooth one, not one that has the ridges) that they would like to pimp?

Mine is on its last legs.

1) An immersion blender. You can blend up soups, chili, sauces as they cook and clean up is a breeze. GREAT tool. 2) A peppergrinder. Basic and probably assumed but hasn't been listed and it makes a huge difference. 3) Parchment paper. When baking anything, it helps make it completely non-stick. Bacon, meatballs, cookies, etc.
used my immersion blender last night to make a really smooth butternut squash soup. huge asset in the kitchen.

A salt cellar full of kosher salt.This citrus press and not that POS yellow aluminum one from Amco. Hinge snapped within weeks. :flex:
I prefer leaving a box of Morton's next to the stove and a cheap plastic reamer.
I use a $3 wooden reamer. It works fine but I do not like picking out lemon seeds. Does the citrus juicer help with that?
If its really an issue for you, just use a strainer. A quick rinse after and it'll be clean.

A salt cellar full of kosher salt.This citrus press and not that POS yellow aluminum one from Amco. Hinge snapped within weeks. :flex:
I prefer leaving a box of Morton's next to the stove and a cheap plastic reamer.
I use a $3 wooden reamer. It works fine but I do not like picking out lemon seeds. Does the citrus juicer help with that?
If its really an issue for you, just use a strainer. A quick rinse after and it'll be clean.
I was looking for an excuse to buy a new gadget. :hot:

I was looking for an excuse to buy a new gadget. :hot:
Sorry, I'm generally anti gadget. They generally just take up a bunch of space.

Kosher salt >>>>>>> regular salt.

I don't even know what it is, but seasoning things with kosher salt tastes so much better. We hardly use regular salt anymore.
I learned one thing useful from the cooking shows: pinch some salt and sprinkle it from higher up helps to season the food by the right amount consistently. But I hate having salt left on my fingers. What do you do about this?

Last edited by a moderator:
A steel for your knife is essential to keeping your knives sharp. I have a similar sharpener to what fast eddie linked to above and only need to use it once a year. I hit my knives with a steel once a week and it makes a huge difference. Added bonus of feeling cool in the process :towelwave:

berndog said:
A steel for your knife is essential to keeping your knives sharp. I have a similar sharpener to what fast eddie linked to above and only need to use it once a year. I hit my knives with a steel once a week and it makes a huge difference. Added bonus of feeling cool in the process :towelwave:
Steel is actually technically more for straightening the blade than putting an edge on it. A mix between a sharpener / steel is the best plan of attack.

george foreman grills get a bad wrap, but they have one great use, hashbrowns. you dont have to flip them and they come out excellent.

i also use a stick blender to make my world famous hot chocolate. gotta use one of those to get that frothy topping on there.

Users who are viewing this thread