What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Covid Vaccination: Florida-52% of Seniors in Palm Beach already received theirs AND now 18+ ONLY a Dr's Note like when you are late for work or want m (1 Viewer)

I thought you were in Florida, the least-"locked down" state in the union, no?

Anyway, I think you're looking through the binoculars the wrong way: commerce in full, especially in the service industry, returns when the customers as a collective feel comfortable enough to come back in numbers. It's not simply the government or some overarching power forcing consumers to stay home en masse -- the issue of returning back to 2019 normal has a lot more to do with getting a sense of ease out there among a strong majority of the body public.

As an aside: more individuals than you might imagine were and have been concerned about putting themselves in a grave just as much as "Grandma and Grandpa". I think more Americans that work hard to avoid COVID are motivated internally than motivated externally (by mandates, "lockdowns", etc.).

In Georgia, we never locked down after the first 3-4 weeks of this thing.  I figured FL was about the same.  School has been full in person in many places, restaurants fully running...I guess maybe theaters are not fully operating or professional sports stadiums/arenas.  But other than that, not much to re-open, so percentage of vaccinations has no bearing.

Now I know parts of GA are somewhat still shut...I think Atlanta is one.  It bugs me watching the news talking about all the steps they need to do, vaccininations, yadda yadda to open the ATL schools...when my wife has been full-time in person teaching all year and my three kids in-person school all year w/ minimal hiccups.  They don't even acknowledge whole area/counties running full-up school and all the efforts they put in place to make it happen.  The good news stories like that is against the narrative...

Utah. My wife and I are both 53. I’m a primary care doc so I got my 2nd dose in early January. My wife doesn’t qualify here yet but my local hospital where I’m on staff has a surplus that are going to go unused so she will be getting her first dose in 3 days. 

Things are relatively opened up here with the typical restrictions though—masks, decreased capacity at indoor establishments. It’s not too terrible and hopefully we should have no problem continuing it a few more months until a significant majority are vaccinated. 

Idaho

61 with conditions and can't get it yet. I should be next month. 

State went from bottom ten to top 5 in the country for doses given last week. 40 percent over 65 have had a shot. 

Unemployment rate is lowest in the country 

Tax revenue surplus during the pandemic. 

People are still moving here in huge numbers. Sold my rental in 20 hours last night.  . Listed at 385k.  Sold for 455k. 

That's good stuff, guess that backs up the PBP as some Quarter Million here in Palm Beach County have had their first shot...Dade has 300k but of course they have about twice the population of Pam Beach so we are killing the Covid around here. 
It backs up you are giving out vaccines faster than everyone

Cali.  This was on the Rite Aid site, taken from the recent press release on 2/18, talking about the distribution to pharmacies:

Under this program, which begins today, federal health authorities determine the allocation of doses, WHILE STATE AND LOCAL JURISDICTIONS CONTINUE TO DEFINE THEIR OWN ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS.

I mean, that seems a little loopholey to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had the virus and have no immediate plans on getting a vaccine. I would have if I didn't get Covid already.
Why not get the vaccine?  I do not know (and I will readily admin I don't know all about this horrible scourge) that you become immune to it once you've had it.

I also don't know that once you've had the vaccine, you'll never get Covid.  (In other words, I do not believe this is like the Polio vaccine where once you get it, you're lifetime immune.)

ETA - Working at a Mass hospital, I got the set of Moderna shots in January.

Florida Man here. Where is this lockdown you speak of? In Citrus County we are a long way from vaccinating the 65+ and we are one of the oldest demographic counties. All I hear is nightmares of folks trying to get the shots. I'm 62 and immuno challenged and have 2 documents from 2 different doctors stating I need the vaccine asap. Sorry, must be 65. 

Without getting political our gov is the only one in the country who will not lay out his plan. "We don't need no stinkin' plans"! There are rumblings he's going to lower the age limit to 60 in March but who knows?

Half our county commissioners don't even wear masks at the meetings. At Walmart early this morning I noticed that almost everyone under 30 was maskless. Bars are packed. Outdoor restaurants are also packed, and indoors are staying afloat. St. Paddy's day parade is going forward, the strawberry festivals in Plant City and Floral City are going off as if biz as usual.
Admitting I am not everywhere in Massachusetts, this is the polar opposite of what I see.  About the only time I see anyone maskless, it's when they get in/our of their vehicles.  (This obviously does not include restaurants - which are sparsely populated.)

Why not get the vaccine?  I do not know (and I will readily admin I don't know all about this horrible scourge) that you become immune to it once you've had it.

I also don't know that once you've had the vaccine, you'll never get Covid.  (In other words, I do not believe this is like the Polio vaccine where once you get it, you're lifetime immune.)
According to recent reports, anti-bodies are only present for around 90 days.

That's awesome, wife and I turned down a very hard offer from the Ochsner Outift in Louisiana but they would not fly us in or even do anything beyond a Zoom call and when we saw that Bourbon Street was empty(probably a good call) we felt it wasn't going to work for us, in fact we now realize how blessed we are to be in Florida and have no plans to leave..except that my wife is highly sought out in the field of Fundraising and specifically Blackbaud and Raizer's Edge, she runs laps around most folks who can't hardly figure out how to use the software. 
Interesting.  I work in IT for a Mass hospital and used to support that.  Always thought it was a good platform.

Got my first 10 minutes ago, next one in 3 weeks. Pfizer.
Same for me...well it was about an hour before yours. The process couldn’t have gone smoother was in and out in 30 minutes including the 15 minutes you have to wait to make sure you don’t have a bad reaction. 

ETA - Working at a Mass hospital, I got the set of Moderna shots in January.
I only had the virus in January. There are so many opinions on the need to get the vaccine after having Covid. I've seen some say to wait 3 months. Other studies say it is "likely efficacious" for those that had the virus. I'll be getting a blood test in April and will see if I still have anti-bodies. I'm willing to wait until then to make a decision. I'm not against getting it but only if it is really necessary. At this point I feel as safe from getting it again as a vaccinated person.

I knew you would find your way in here so let's discuss. In regular terms i would agree but are we going to go on forever wearing masks inside Publix? Do we have to wrap a pair of underwear around our face to walk to a dining room table in public? When will this nightmare end? 
As soon as the most vulnerable are vaccinated (65+) we should ditch the masks. No more dangerous as regular flu at that point. 

As soon as the most vulnerable are vaccinated (65+) we should ditch the masks. No more dangerous as regular flu at that point. 
Tell that to the family members and friends of the "less vulnerable" 86,761 Americans under 65 who have died of COVID in the past year.  And that death count is despite many people following masking and social distancing recommendations.  

And then compare that to the number of deaths due to Influenza per year for all ages, including those 65+ (which comprise the majority of those deaths), over the past 10 years with essentially no one wearing masks or social distancing. 

COVID 19 is far more dangerous than "regular flu" regardless of age.

Please don't ditch the masks yet.

Not according to MOP.  he’s got that #### on lockdown. 

Im in CA.  Zero chance of my being eligible for at least a month or two.  It’s ridiculous how they are rolling this out. 

Makes me wish I could get the MOP hook up.  
I'm in Los Angeles, and there were people of all ages at Cal State LA today. Check https://myturn.ca.gov/ to see if you're eligible. I was going to wait for Kaiser to get their larger portion of doses, but decided to get the shot ASAP.

Tell that to the family members and friends of the "less vulnerable" 86,761 Americans under 65 who have died of COVID in the past year.  And that death count is despite many people following masking and social distancing recommendations.  

And then compare that to the number of deaths due to Influenza per year for all ages, including those 65+ (which comprise the majority of those deaths), over the past 10 years with essentially no one wearing masks or social distancing. 

:own3d:

Florida is wide open. I truly don’t know what you mean. The beaches here are packed. Ybor is shoulder to shoulder. 

I don’t consider wearing a mask to Publix a hindrance at all. If you do, I’ll guess you can stop sometime around August.  
It was tongue n cheek sorta speak, I was agreeing with you that Florida comparatively is open to most States, I agree with you and others. 

I was vaccinated in early / mid February. Moderna. Very happy about it. 
Good for you

Part of the point of the thread is to show that a lot of folks want to remain in the current situation or keep things from going back to Pre-March 2020, that's part of the issues here. 

It backs up you are giving out vaccines faster than everyone
That's kinda what i was trying to get the word out, we actually have more shots certain days than actual appointments or bookings, I'm sorry how that comes across or sounds, one particular poster in here wants to yell and scream over me and doesn't want me to post any of this but I understand every situation is unique and different. Our mom wasn't happy about driving so far for her shot next week but not everyone can just go a couple miles to get their shots. 

And just to further the conversation so folks know where my wife and I are coming from. Ochsner in Louisiana wanted to hire and move us out fo Florida but we couldn't ever get them to agree to a face to face in person part of the interview process and when we saw New Orleans closed up around the time of Mardi Gras, we passed. So we understand 1st hand the massive contrast in different parts of the country, 

-Bell, I''m just worried that too many folks want this to keep dragging on and on plus the ripple or domino effect where every time we have a new flu or scare that there is going to be shutdown threats and a bunch of folks wanting to shame others for living their lives and not running around in fear all the time. Until we have leaders that are telling people it's pretty much impossible to catch it outside in the sunshine and when the country is not in a deep freeze, people should be outside active and taking care of themselves, not hiding indoors and watching television. 

Good for you

Part of the point of the thread is to show that a lot of folks want to remain in the current situation or keep things from going back to Pre-March 2020, that's part of the issues here. 
If your area is having an outbreak, things need to be "locked down" (we've never really locked down).

If your area's cases are low / declining then things can open up, commensurate to the level of cases. 

This isn't hard. 

I thought the vaccine helps prevent the symptoms, and doesn't stop contracting the virus.
They don’t have enough data on this yet but some believe it will prevent transmission
There are some preliminary findings that, succinctly, vaccinated people essentially don’t spread COVID to others. My thought is that the virus, even if it gets that initial foothold in a vaccinated person’s body, rarely achieves that critical mass of virions necessary to start being shed in meaningful numbers.

Researchers will equivocate because they realize that it’s not a 100% certainty without exception. But I don’t think there’s any real doubt that the vaccines drive down transmission rates sharply.

Interesting.  I work in IT for a Mass hospital and used to support that.  Always thought it was a good platform.
It's unbelievable how many non-profits invest in the software but don't have a single person on staff that really knows how to use it and increase their dollars in fundraising. 

Please don't ditch the masks yet.
I think you did a great job of posting some hard numbers that folks don't want to see as reality, good job.

-Not everyone needs to agree with my OP, but I did clearly state towards the top how arrogant it would be of me to assume everyone had similar paths as we do in Florida right now. I do appreciate you making your point without putting anyone down for their POV even if it's a little off from where you are presently. 

And you did ask nicely 👍  so I will keep wearing it. I had to be the only person with a mask trying to get to an outside bar, I simply wanted to be respectful of the workers but their wasn't one person wearing it and even the bartenders just had them hanging under their chin. You're not wrong is all I'm saying but do understand some folks are getting worn out on the mask and I don't think folks should act confused why folks in general hate wearing them and it's not normal to just wear it all the time like it's no big deal. 

But I do want to be clear, I don't trust the grocery stores and because Publix has a monopoly down here in Florida, you can't hardly avoid certain types of folks and I feel like for my own personal protection, not anyone else's but for selfish reasons I want to wear the mask in there, it just feels like a for sure germ spreader, maybe I'm off on that one 🤷‍♂️

What are folks thoughts on Snowbirds coming into Florida or their winter vacation home for a couple months and getting vaccinated while they are here? Or folks who don't even stay that long, maybe just a few weeks and manage to get an appointment at Publix where they are vaccinating folks left and right, is that fair?

-I also will repost for anyone that thinks I might take this lightly, we've all had at least one or two people in our lives that have been impacted by this. I almost lost the Commish of our 20+ year FF league but thankfully he pulled thru but was in ICU, a fairly well known FBG who has been a good friend of mine for many many years was down for 17 DAYS last month, this is not anything you want to catch. I've seen the people in the hospital coming in and sometimes they don't make it out 😪.

It's impacted all of us and has me questioning myself and what I hold true. I can see there's going to be a lot of work ahead of us this year and the coming years. 

Utah. My wife and I are both 53. I’m a primary care doc so I got my 2nd dose in early January. My wife doesn’t qualify here yet but my local hospital where I’m on staff has a surplus that are going to go unused so she will be getting her first dose in 3 days. 

Things are relatively opened up here with the typical restrictions though—masks, decreased capacity at indoor establishments. It’s not too terrible and hopefully we should have no problem continuing it a few more months until a significant majority are vaccinated. 
I believe you 100%, the hospital here has had same thing. How does that happen when so many need it? How can you allow a surplus to go unused?

I didn't know you were a Dr, thank you for sharing all this. 👍

Got my first dose a couple of weeks back. Let's just say that the eligibility requirements are poorly defined and not policed.
That's what i want to know. I think the same and feel strongly that in certain areas and mine could easily be one of them, requirements and eligibility are loosely defined, we have people flooding into this State and getting vaccinated. 

Policed is a funny word right now, I watched a lot of folks walking into bars and restaurants this past weekend where there is a huge sign saying masks required, cops stationed at the doors and still folks were walking in no mask on.  Nobody was being ticketed or told they couldn't come in. 

Not according to MOP.  he’s got that #### on lockdown. 

Im in CA.  Zero chance of my being eligible for at least a month or two.  It’s ridiculous how they are rolling this out. 

Makes me wish I could get the MOP hook up.  
Do the lock down and restrictions also make it really hard to maneuver? I guess what i am asking or saying is it must be hard to get a person vaccinated when they are barely able to leave their house due to restrictions and lockdowns yes/no? I'm not there so I don't really know. 

Do you have any friends or family that work in a hospital where you know they are receiving vaccines? These surplus doses that even a doctor has come in here and shared about. 

This actually might help and I don't know why I didn't post this but I would target private hospitals(We work in one of these) and avoid the county medical centers. Private hospitals operate on donations usually from wealthy folks who in turn get access and special favors, it comes into play because the hospitals just by their very nature operate differently and do not seem to have the same rules or restrictions and access to things. 

Are they not vaccinating in the grocery stores in California as we speak?

What are folks thoughts on Snowbirds coming into Florida or their winter vacation home for a couple months and getting vaccinated while they are here? Or folks who don't even stay that long, maybe just a few weeks and manage to get an appointment at Publix where they are vaccinating folks left and right, is that fair?

-I also will repost for anyone that thinks I might take this lightly, we've all had at least one or two people in our lives that have been impacted by this. I almost lost the Commish of our 20+ year FF league but thankfully he pulled thru but was in ICU, a fairly well known FBG who has been a good friend of mine for many many years was down for 17 DAYS last month, this is not anything you want to catch. I've seen the people in the hospital coming in and sometimes they don't make it out 😪.

It's impacted all of us and has me questioning myself and what I hold true. I can see there's going to be a lot of work ahead of us this year and the coming years. 
Don't care, it’s a National issue not a state issue. Get everybody who wants one in line. 

I like your post, you're right on with Florida but so many come here and cry on our shoulders from where they arrived, it's kind of startling and I am in a high tourist area, Palm Beach in general. We are pretty empty in the summer, right now it's full season and this place is packed. 
Same here. I'm in Miami (not Miami Beach or South Beach) but Coconut Grove. Outside of many more people wearing masks than last year, it doesn't seem like anything has changed. Bars/restaurants/coffee shops etc are doing a brisk business. Granted it's tourist season (as evidenced by those NOT wearing masks) and the best time of year to be here, but truthfully, I tend to forget how "locked down" some other states are. 

We are still careful about what we do wear masks everywhere and do our best to avid big crowds but all in all, things are "normal".

I cannot believe, at this stage of the game, people are still posting this tripe. 
Well, at a certain point we are going to knock this down to a mortality rate comparable to the flu. Its debatable if vaccinating those over 65 gets us to that point but it will happen.

Same here. I'm in Miami (not Miami Beach or South Beach) but Coconut Grove. Outside of many more people wearing masks than last year, it doesn't seem like anything has changed. Bars/restaurants/coffee shops etc are doing a brisk business. Granted it's tourist season (as evidenced by those NOT wearing masks) and the best time of year to be here, but truthfully, I tend to forget how "locked down" some other states are. 

We are still careful about what we do wear masks everywhere and do our best to avid big crowds but all in all, things are "normal".
I will continue to post that i have stopped watching the news and most TV outside of a live sporting event or watching a commercial free movie. I am already in shock how far behind parts of the country are right now, some of these posts are incredible to read, hate to say it but news to me for sure. 

Users who are viewing this thread