What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Covid Vaccination: Florida-52% of Seniors in Palm Beach already received theirs AND now 18+ ONLY a Dr's Note like when you are late for work or want m (1 Viewer)

I will continue to post that i have stopped watching the news and most TV outside of a live sporting event or watching a commercial free movie. I am already in shock how far behind parts of the country are right now, some of these posts are incredible to read, hate to say it but news to me for sure. 
It's hard ####### work simply getting this done fast.   Find ways to go help out where you can.  

I thought the vaccine helps prevent the symptoms, and doesn't stop contracting the virus.

They don’t have enough data on this yet but some believe it will prevent transmission. 
Stop the band for a minute, are you saying that when people get vaccinated that they will still contract the Covid? 

Do i not understand how vaccines work? That is quite possible but I thought you typically get vaccinated as a kid on things so you never catch it. I also understand that vaccines for some are a yearly thing for like the normal flu most seasons. I have to say I cannot remember the last time a doctor shot me with anything since I was a kid.

I would be less wanting to get the vaccine in me if I could still just as easily catch the thing. But I have heard of folks who get a flu shot and still get sick later in the season. 

I tend to believe both of you so I'm not arguing, just a little puzzled I guess. 

Stop the band for a minute, are you saying that when people get vaccinated that they will still contract the Covid? 

Do i not understand how vaccines work? That is quite possible but I thought you typically get vaccinated as a kid on things so you never catch it. I also understand that vaccines for some are a yearly thing for like the normal flu most seasons. I have to say I cannot remember the last time a doctor shot me with anything since I was a kid.

I would be less wanting to get the vaccine in me if I could still just as easily catch the thing. But I have heard of folks who get a flu shot and still get sick later in the season. 

I tend to believe both of you so I'm not arguing, just a little puzzled I guess. 
If you are vaccinated you can still “catch COVID” the vaccine helps your body fight it better so you will not end up in a hospital or dead, but you may end up with mild symptoms.

I believe you 100%, the hospital here has had same thing. How does that happen when so many need it? How can you allow a surplus to go unused?
I believe they ordered enough doses to cover all hospital employees, all medical providers affiliated with the hospital and any first responders in the region.

They did not mandate vaccination so I suspect they underestimated the number of people who would decline the vaccine.  And we're talking about a fairly small number here---a couple dozen doses, not hundreds.  These doses will definitely not go unused.

Tell that to the family members and friends of the "less vulnerable" 86,761 Americans under 65 who have died of COVID in the past year.  And that death count is despite many people following masking and social distancing recommendations.  

And then compare that to the number of deaths due to Influenza per year for all ages, including those 65+ (which comprise the majority of those deaths), over the past 10 years with essentially no one wearing masks or social distancing. 

COVID 19 is far more dangerous than "regular flu" regardless of age.

Please don't ditch the masks yet.
You see, one thing you're missing there is 50% of Americans get the normal flu vaccine. So death rates are similar once 65+ are taken out of the equation. 

#ditchthemasks

You see, one thing you're missing there is 50% of Americans get the normal flu vaccine. So death rates are similar once 65+ are taken out of the equation. 

#ditchthemasks
That is a good point although I’d like to see your math to claim death rates are similar. 

Also factor in that, sadly, over the past 10 years the efficacy rate for the flu vaccine has averaged only 40%. And over that same 10 year period an average of only 45% of Americans have received the Flu vaccine. 

To further illustrate the efficacy and importance of masks and social distancing, Influenza has been almost nonexistent this season. There have only been 1600 confirmed cases of Influenza reported in the entire country this season. And RSV has been even less prevalent. 

That is a good point although I’d like to see your math to claim death rates are similar. 

Also factor in that, sadly, over the past 10 years the efficacy rate for the flu vaccine has averaged only 40%. And over that same 10 year period an average of only 45% of Americans have received the Flu vaccine. 

To further illustrate the efficacy and importance of masks and social distancing, Influenza has been almost nonexistent this season. There have only been 1600 confirmed cases of Influenza reported in the entire country this season. And RSV has been even less prevalent. 
Yep, here we go. Now we’re going to have to keep wearing masks because they stop the regular flu and the common cold. 

Only 80,000 deaths under age 65.  It is what it is. 
34,200 flu deaths for ALL ages the last year reported by the CDC. Unless I'm really bad at math, your strawman under 65 only number is still only 43% of that. But at least now I have a good understanding that you consider anyone over 65 irrelevant, so there's that.

Yep, here we go. Now we’re going to have to keep wearing masks because they stop the regular flu and the common cold. 
Nope. That is not my point. I am not advocating that and that will not happen. 

I would still like to see your numbers that support your claim of an equal death rate of Sars-CoV 2 and Influenza for those under 65. 

34,200 flu deaths for ALL ages the last year reported by the CDC. Unless I'm really bad at math, your strawman under 65 only number is still only 43% of that. But at least now I have a good understanding that you consider anyone over 65 irrelevant, so there's that.
Half the people in the us get the flu vaccine. Multiply by 2. 

Let’s hope not, hopefully those that politicized this can move on at some point. My wife is fully vaxed and I can get my 2nd this week. I adapted at work and had a busy year and dodged covid by being careful and taking common sense precautions. With this many vaccine options we are there soon...it’s time to  move forward. 

No.  45% of Americans receive a Flu vaccine that is 40% percent effective so a multiple of 2 is too high. 
Ok fine. Fact remains that if we've vaccinated and protected 65+ people we've reduced the mortality of the covid down closer to regular flu levels. Let get back to normal life, starting with ditching the masks.  

Half the people in the us get the flu vaccine. Multiply by 2. 
Well that math is clearly wrong as pointed out by others and you nicely left out the comparison of elderly for Covid to make your numbers look good. Still surprised we get this just the flu argument with 500k dead Americans. 

Well that math is clearly wrong as pointed out by others and you nicely left out the comparison of elderly for Covid to make your numbers look good. Still surprised we get this just the flu argument with 500k dead Americans. 
If we did nothing else than vaccinate everyone over 65 your 500K number goes to 80K next year. Look forward, not backward. Were done with the restrictions, let's get back to normal.  

They do this in plenty of other countries before covid. Not surprisingly, those countries have a much better handle on things once covid hit because it wasn't a huge change. Their citizens also weren't spreading stuff like #ditchthemask because they've known for years that masks work. The misinformation in this thread is awful and harmful.

Ok fine. Fact remains that if we've vaccinated and protected 65+ people we've reduced the mortality of the covid down closer to regular flu levels. Let get back to normal life, starting with ditching the masks.  
I’m all for this but just not quite yet. The masks will be very beneficial and effective at further suppressing the pandemic for a few more months. 

I hope to be able to ditch the masks by June or July. 

Honestly.  For someone that is 40. Preventing symptoms is all I ask for.  In a month ish I'm gonna join a gym again, eat in restaurants and move on.  
Yeah, I think it goes hand in hand. If you don't have symptoms such as coughing and sneezing, those forms of airborne transmission is reduced. Good either way.

For me, this'll officially be over when I can hop on a cruise to Alaska.

They do this in plenty of other countries before covid. Not surprisingly, those countries have a much better handle on things once covid hit because it wasn't a huge change. Their citizens also weren't spreading stuff like #ditchthemask because they've known for years that masks work. The misinformation in this thread is awful and harmful.
It's pretty amazing Fauci only figured it out a couple months ago if that's the case. 

Do the lock down and restrictions also make it really hard to maneuver? I guess what i am asking or saying is it must be hard to get a person vaccinated when they are barely able to leave their house due to restrictions and lockdowns yes/no? I'm not there so I don't really know. 

Do you have any friends or family that work in a hospital where you know they are receiving vaccines? These surplus doses that even a doctor has come in here and shared about. 

This actually might help and I don't know why I didn't post this but I would target private hospitals(We work in one of these) and avoid the county medical centers. Private hospitals operate on donations usually from wealthy folks who in turn get access and special favors, it comes into play because the hospitals just by their very nature operate differently and do not seem to have the same rules or restrictions and access to things. 

Are they not vaccinating in the grocery stores in California as we speak?
Hard to maneuver?  Barely able to leave their house?  What are you talking about?  Wear a mask and no indoor dining are the biggest restrictions currently in place in CA.  Some counties still haven’t opened up school.  I live in south Orange County, very republican .  our schools have been open in a modified fashion, since August.  

After the 1st few months, Most people have simply continued to live their lives, as normally as possible.  most people ignore the stay at home orders .  Costco is packed  for example.  

Vaccinations are currently available for front line workers(a nebulous definition) and people over 65. Appointments are becoming easier to come by, but were ridiculously hard to get, the 1st few weeks.   There aren’t enough vaccines available yet, to go the next tier of people   8.7M people vaccinated so far  

No, they aren’t vaccinating people at supermarkets here. I have only heard that being done in fl. 

DA RAIDERS said:
Hard to maneuver?  Barely able to leave their house?  What are you talking about?  Wear a mask and no indoor dining are the biggest restrictions currently in place in CA.  Some counties still haven’t opened up school.  I live in south Orange County, very republican .  our schools have been open in a modified fashion, since August.  

After the 1st few months, Most people have simply continued to live their lives, as normally as possible.  most people ignore the stay at home orders .  Costco is packed  for example.  

Vaccinations are currently available for front line workers(a nebulous definition) and people over 65. Appointments are becoming easier to come by, but were ridiculously hard to get, the 1st few weeks.   There aren’t enough vaccines available yet, to go the next tier of people   8.7M people vaccinated so far  

No, they aren’t vaccinating people at supermarkets here. I have only heard that being done in fl. 
I had no idea my friend. I really have been trying to steer clear of most media and TV, etc...maybe I need to catch up but the stories always disturb me and I feel I am living better without all the noise. 

Only 80,000 deaths under age 65.  It is what it is. 
Watch the Seinfeld special on Netflix from just last year, he has a whole bit on "It is what it is" 😂

-A deal is a deal, Business is Business, pop it on you might enjoy if you haven't seen it already. Some of his best stuff since the show ended. 

tonydead said:
And this is truly what many of us are worried about and as I thought, some of these fears are real. 

Nope. That is not my point. I am not advocating that and that will not happen. 

I would still like to see your numbers that support your claim of an equal death rate of Sars-CoV 2 and Influenza for those under 65. 
And right on time the Good Doctor clears that myth right up. Thanks again for all the good info. 

I don't think folks should make assumptions on every post. Like for example, I don't think @tonydead was saying that folks over 65+ are irrelevant. 

But i do think that he feels like many folks that we were told or sold on how much we had to pitch in to save the 65+ community and once that risk factor has been mitigated, there shouldn't be as many restrictions moving forward. 

And again it seems every area of the country is unique in some way and rules are not going to work very well on a National level. 

Let’s hope not, hopefully those that politicized this can move on at some point. My wife is fully vaxed and I can get my 2nd this week. I adapted at work and had a busy year and dodged covid by being careful and taking common sense precautions. With this many vaccine options we are there soon...it’s time to  move forward. 
Sporting a new avatar I see

EYLive said:
Yeah, I think it goes hand in hand. If you don't have symptoms such as coughing and sneezing, those forms of airborne transmission is reduced. Good either way.

For me, this'll officially be over when I can hop on a cruise to Alaska.
That sounds fun, and your time will be coming very soon I'm sure. This also reminds me how now is a good time to grab some of those stocks like Royal and Carnival before they start going all the way back up and you know they will. Might as well make some money to pay for the trip. 

The Dreaded Marco said:
C'mon guys. Let's base our discussion on science and data. 

This thread is now veering toward the Politics forum.  I don't want to, and will not, go back in there. :scared:
Agreed, let's not start doing jersey colors or it's going to end badly. 

Juts to piggy back on JM, this was part of the article I snipped from

Smith said on Twitter: “A doctor’s note should be all that’s needed for medically vulnerable at vaccination pharmacies or clinics with the vaccine”

tonydead said:
Nah, masks will be mostly gone soon.  If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say by Memorial Day masking will be way down from where we are today.  In fact, that may be too conservative and maybe May 1 is a better O/U.  Most vaccinated people are going to drop their masks pretty much immediately -- I certainly will -- and then social conformity will take over from there, especially as we move into summer.

Nah, masks will be mostly gone soon.  If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say by Memorial Day masking will be way down from where we are today.  In fact, that may be too conservative and maybe May 1 is a better O/U.  Most vaccinated people are going to drop their masks pretty much immediately -- I certainly will -- and then social conformity will take over from there, especially as we move into summer.
:thumbup: . I say we drop them now that we've got the most vulnerable vaccinated already and this thing isnt any more dangerous than the regular flu.  Let open up and get back to normal. Get the kids in school ASAP. 

This will be pretty dependent on the "strength" of the masking initiative in various regions. Unless the vaccinations go nuts in March and April and we reach something like 80% of the area's residents vaccinated, masks here (New Orleans metro) will for sure go into the summer. From there, it's indefinite -- could largely go away by the end of June, could still be lingering by Labor Day.

tonydead said:
And this is truly what many of us are worried about and as I thought, some of these fears are real. 
This is why I get specific and talk about "an East Asian masking ethic" and not "continued governmental mandates".

What an "ethic" suggests is the decision to wear masks at times is totally volitional, but it's something that people are typically highly willing to do and that people who don't do it are looked at askance. An easy example is "wearing clothes" -- society doesn't have to beat people over the head about it ... people just put on clothes before going out in public.

Specifically, the East Asian masking ethic is bending over backwards -- until your forehead touches the floor -- to avoid spreading even so much as a light cold to another human being. That means as soon as you feel a scratchy throat or a fever or a cough or a runny nose, you don the mask in public until you feel better. Better still, you strive to avoid the public, work from home, etc. and just do whatever your life allows you to do to avoid spreading your illness. None of this takes place when you feel well -- it's not "all masking all the time". It's an ethic -- an ethic that coughing in public is much like barfing in public, or soiling your pants in public, or something like that. Therefore, going to a mask when necessary to avoid spreading illness is totally natural and requires no thought or convincing -- you just do it.

I wish that one path was one where people thought, damn - 50,000 people a year die from the flu? Maybe we should all get the flu vaccine and wear masks when we feel symptons so we can bring that number way down. Instead we got, it's just the flu, and ONLY 50,000 people die from that

Well after watching my browser refresh every minute starting at 7:00am at publix.com I managed to get my appointments for both shots a little after 8:00. The closest available store is a litte over an hour away in Winter Park, which is fine. Walmart, Winn Dixie, CVS all had no appointments available or had yet to update to allow sub 65 birthdays. Wednesday night is shot #1.

The Dreaded Marco said:
C'mon guys. Let's base our discussion on science and data. 

This thread is now veering toward the Politics forum.  I don't want to, and will not, go back in there. :scared:
GL with this GB....

This thread

:lmao:
Exactly....there's always a few factors consistent with a thread going off the rails.  

This is why I get specific and talk about "an East Asian masking ethic" and not "continued governmental mandates".

What an "ethic" suggests is the decision to wear masks at times is totally volitional, but it's something that people are typically highly willing to do and that people who don't do it are looked at askance. An easy example is "wearing clothes" -- society doesn't have to beat people over the head about it ... people just put on clothes before going out in public.

Specifically, the East Asian masking ethic is bending over backwards -- until your forehead touches the floor -- to avoid spreading even so much as a light cold to another human being. That means as soon as you feel a scratchy throat or a fever or a cough or a runny nose, you don the mask in public until you feel better. Better still, you strive to avoid the public, work from home, etc. and just do whatever your life allows you to do to avoid spreading your illness. None of this takes place when you feel well -- it's not "all masking all the time". It's an ethic -- an ethic that coughing in public is much like barfing in public, or soiling your pants in public, or something like that. Therefore, going to a mask when necessary to avoid spreading illness is totally natural and requires no thought or convincing -- you just do it.
That just sounds plain rational.  It would be great if the US had that type of "ethic."   I can't count the number of times I've been on a plane, seated next to someone sneezing, coughing, etc the entire flight.   It's disgusting.   

Well after watching my browser refresh every minute starting at 7:00am at publix.com I managed to get my appointments for both shots a little after 8:00. The closest available store is a litte over an hour away in Winter Park, which is fine. Walmart, Winn Dixie, CVS all had no appointments available or had yet to update to allow sub 65 birthdays. Wednesday night is shot #1.
Come another 20 minutes north to Debary and I'll have a fresh beer waiting for ya (or beverage of your choice) in an assuredly safe environment :thumbup:  

Users who are viewing this thread