What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Covid Vaccination: Florida-52% of Seniors in Palm Beach already received theirs AND now 18+ ONLY a Dr's Note like when you are late for work or want m (1 Viewer)

I wish that one path was one where people thought, damn - 50,000 people a year die from the flu? Maybe we should all get the flu vaccine and wear masks when we feel symptons so we can bring that number way down. Instead we got, it's just the flu, and ONLY 50,000 people die from that
How many people die from lung cancer or heart attacks? Yet I dont see people stopping smoking or wolfing down fast food anytime soon.

How many people die from lung cancer or heart attacks? Yet I dont see people stopping smoking or wolfing down fast food anytime soon.
Wearing a mask in public places when sick is a lot smaller lift than quitting smoking or changing eating habits. Plus the latter is not contagious.

Smoking is actually a good comparison about how a collective society can gradually change its stance on an unhealthy behavior that can affect others (not just the smokers). Just note the societal prevalence of smoking 50 years ago compared to today, and how things have changed progressively over those five decades.

I don't care if individuals choose to kill themselves by smoking, eating poorly or being fat.  I care if they kill other people by driving drunk though.
People dont care about killing themselves with cigarettes and fast food. The death of someone trickles down to their OWN FAMILY. You think if people dont care about how their health decisions impact their OWN FAMILY they will care about how their health decisions impact the general public? 

GL with this GB....

Exactly....there's always a few factors consistent with a thread going off the rails.  
I don't think we have hit that point yet and we've even shifted the topic a little as to not be so snarky about "when do we open"

-I'm not watching as much news now and some of this has been informative. Also has helped reinforce how bad some folks got it in their part of the country right now. 

Just had friends pass thru Gatlinburg and it sounded a lot like South Florida right now so maybe it's time to get in the car and go for a spin. 

I wanted to say it myself but honestly in theory there's nothing wrong with what he posted but he is asking an entire nation to suddenly adopt an Asian custom and that's an incredible leap I think. 

@dawgtrails I started to write a snarky comment after but the more I think about it...I have a story or thoughts that relate. We used to send folks home in our insurance office, roughly 15 people and anyone who came in sick was sent home, this was well before Covid, going back 4-5 years. We had a person here and there get so sick from the common flu we got tired of it after a while and we shamed people for doing it(showing up ill) and gladly paid their sick days, laptops at home work just fine and we were using them even back then but most folks didn't want to work out of their home at the time so you knew when they crawled back in a few days later they were pretty darn sick and we saved a lot of time off in the long run which increased productivity....I can't believe I just said that. 

Last edited by a moderator:
People dont care about killing themselves with cigarettes and fast food. The death of someone trickles down to their OWN FAMILY. You think if people dont care about how their health decisions impact their OWN FAMILY they will care about how their health decisions impact the general public? 
You two really need your own afternoon drive time show for the listeners. Ying and Yang, very enjoyable to see a couple of well armed Cowboys fire back and forth. So far I think one of you might have lost his hat while the other might have had a spur shot off your boots. 

Publix in both Broward and Dade are a FULL GO!

730 Publix in the State of Florida are vaccinating people all day long and appointments start at 7AM

CVS also is giving the shots and every day reportedly has open slots for folks to come get the vaccine that go unbooked 🤷‍♂️   Can't get the word out enough I guess. 

Well after watching my browser refresh every minute starting at 7:00am at publix.com I managed to get my appointments for both shots a little after 8:00. The closest available store is a litte over an hour away in Winter Park, which is fine. Walmart, Winn Dixie, CVS all had no appointments available or had yet to update to allow sub 65 birthdays. Wednesday night is shot #1.
i will say, that this method of roll out is highly superior to what CA is doing.  although, it appears that cvs and pavilions(grocery store) will be ramping up efforts to start vaccinating people.  we are still in phase 1a.  i will be eligible in the next phase.  we need more vaccines.

I don't think we have hit that point yet and we've even shifted the topic a little as to not be so snarky about "when do we open"

-I'm not watching as much news now and some of this has been informative. Also has helped reinforce how bad some folks got it in their part of the country right now. 

Just had friends pass thru Gatlinburg and it sounded a lot like South Florida right now so maybe it's time to get in the car and go for a spin. 
No...not off the rails yet, but give them time...they'll get it there....they always do.

I wanted to say it myself but honestly in theory there's nothing wrong with what he posted but he is asking an entire nation to suddenly adopt an Asian custom and that's an incredible leap I think. 
i don't see it as adopting an asian custom.  i see it as using common sense.  the arrogance of the average American, is frankly, appalling.  i've travelled a lot.  we, as a country, have a lot to learn.  

That just sounds plain rational.  It would be great if the US had that type of "ethic."   I can't count the number of times I've been on a plane, seated next to someone sneezing, coughing, etc the entire flight.   It's disgusting.   
Maybe some of them had allergies and weren’t necessarily sick/contagious.

Do East Asians with seasonal allergies wear masks all the time?  Not trolling, honest question.  Because that would suck

Maybe some of them had allergies and weren’t necessarily sick/contagious.

Do East Asians with seasonal allergies wear masks all the time?  Not trolling, honest question.  Because that would suck
There's another board where I can ask this and get quick responses from people who live in Japan, Korea, China, and Thailand. This is a good question, and I will put it out there.

What I think the answer is ... is "not really, but sometimes". It's not wearing them all the time when allergies are flaring up ... it's wearing them when leaking and near people, because walking around with a runny nose is like running around with puke on your shirt. I think, further, that the overall ethic dictates that people with seasonal allergies in East Asia seriously work to mitigate the symptoms medicinally and with neti pots, etc. (as opposed to thinking "meh, it's minor, I'll just deal").

But I do want to get something more than my own supposition. I'll report back the responses.

Stop the band for a minute, are you saying that when people get vaccinated that they will still contract the Covid? 

Do i not understand how vaccines work? That is quite possible but I thought you typically get vaccinated as a kid on things so you never catch it. I also understand that vaccines for some are a yearly thing for like the normal flu most seasons. I have to say I cannot remember the last time a doctor shot me with anything since I was a kid.

I would be less wanting to get the vaccine in me if I could still just as easily catch the thing. But I have heard of folks who get a flu shot and still get sick later in the season. 

I tend to believe both of you so I'm not arguing, just a little puzzled I guess. 
Not all vaccines are sterilizing vaccines.

These are thought to be amazing for preventing death and severe symptoms.  Transmission is likely reduced, but not to zero because of where the infections start (upper respiratory).  So you can get infected by someone, have replication in your nose/throat, and be able to transmit via cough/aerosols.  The vaccines are amazing at preventing more spread via bloodstream, and therefore knocking out the severity.  It takes longer apparently for the antibodies in the mucous membranes to kick in.

The viral load and length of replication in those areas is likely lessened, but this is why mask wearing is still a factor.

I 100% got the flu from someone sick on the train at this time last year.  I felt the dude cough on the back of my head/neck.  Not to mention hearing all the others coughing/sneezing/sniffling on the train.  There really needs to be more paid sick time in the country and less "man up" and "it's only a cold" culture.
I used to be mildly annoyed when people came to work sick, but I'll openly admit that I was just as much of an offender as anybody.  I came to work for a full week with what I thought was just a chest cold only to find out that it was pneumonia after nearly passing out from an easy run and finally hauling myself to the doctor.  

Not any more.  From now on, if I have a cold, I'm taking a sick day without apology.  Granted that's kind of easy to do now that I'm sitting on 2154 hours of accumulated sick leave.  :bag:

I used to be mildly annoyed when people came to work sick, but I'll openly admit that I was just as much of an offender as anybody.  I came to work for a full week with what I thought was just a chest cold only to find out that it was pneumonia after nearly passing out from an easy run and finally hauling myself to the doctor.  

Not any more.  From now on, if I have a cold, I'm taking a sick day without apology.  Granted that's kind of easy to do now that I'm sitting on 2154 hours of accumulated sick leave.  :bag:
Especially now with so much work from home experience in many sectors, people should just be able to use that option when potentially coming down with something.  Lots of jobs without that option though, so sick time needs to be expanded for people.

There's another board where I can ask this and get quick responses from people who live in Japan, Korea, China, and Thailand. This is a good question, and I will put it out there.

What I think the answer is ... is "not really, but sometimes". It's not wearing them all the time when allergies are flaring up ... it's wearing them when leaking and near people, because walking around with a runny nose is like running around with puke on your shirt. I think, further, that the overall ethic dictates that people with seasonal allergies in East Asia seriously work to mitigate the symptoms medicinally and with neti pots, etc. (as opposed to thinking "meh, it's minor, I'll just deal").

But I do want to get something more than my own supposition. I'll report back the responses.
Yeah - I'm allergic to dust, hayfever, ragweeds.   Im always congested lol

Was stationed in Okinawa for 4 years, every spring we would get “yellow dust”(some type of pollution) from China.  There would be bad air quality warnings issued along with warnings that if you were going to be outside wear your mask and carry your inhalers. Best to stay inside if possible…

Meh - I had a chest infection for 6 months.  Felt fine.  Just had a nagging cough.  Do I stay home?
Chest infections don't last 6 straight months.  You may want to ask your doctor about other possible causes of chronic cough such as asthma and/or allergic disease.

Chest infections don't last 6 straight months.  You may want to ask your doctor about other possible causes of chronic cough such as asthma and/or allergic disease.
nope it took that long to clear up -  i caught a chest cold - never recovered.  Went to urgent care got put on a nebulizer and medicine.  Slowly got better.  then got worse, then better then worse.  Went to a doctor - he prescribed medicine - slowly got better than worse then better.   Went back - he gave me something else.   Was fine after 2 weeks.    I had congestion and cough the whole time.   It would slowly get better than worse on and off.    :shrug:  but never felt sick - just that gosh darn cough

That just sounds plain rational.  It would be great if the US had that type of "ethic."   I can't count the number of times I've been on a plane, seated next to someone sneezing, coughing, etc the entire flight.   It's disgusting.   
People used to go into the office, sick as a dog, and spread their crap around. Thank goodness my job has been WFH for the past 3 years.

This is why I get specific and talk about "an East Asian masking ethic" and not "continued governmental mandates".

What an "ethic" suggests is the decision to wear masks at times is totally volitional, but it's something that people are typically highly willing to do and that people who don't do it are looked at askance. An easy example is "wearing clothes" -- society doesn't have to beat people over the head about it ... people just put on clothes before going out in public.

Specifically, the East Asian masking ethic is bending over backwards -- until your forehead touches the floor -- to avoid spreading even so much as a light cold to another human being. That means as soon as you feel a scratchy throat or a fever or a cough or a runny nose, you don the mask in public until you feel better. Better still, you strive to avoid the public, work from home, etc. and just do whatever your life allows you to do to avoid spreading your illness. None of this takes place when you feel well -- it's not "all masking all the time". It's an ethic -- an ethic that coughing in public is much like barfing in public, or soiling your pants in public, or something like that. Therefore, going to a mask when necessary to avoid spreading illness is totally natural and requires no thought or convincing -- you just do it.
Not exactly.  Maybe after SARS it started to become popular for sick people, but, in the last half of the 20th century when it became vouge it was because of air pollution.  

Trying to stop people from catching a light cold is dumb.  You know how people can learn to develop the proteins themselves needed to combat illness without a vaccine right?

While I'm waiting for responses from the other board, here's an interesting article I found about mask-wearing in Japan:

Why Do So Many Japanese People Wear Face Masks?

When I first arrived in Japan, like many people, I thought that Japanese people wore face masks because they were afraid of germs. So I was pretty surprised to discover there are many other reasons, and that is not even the main one! Face masks are a hallmark of Japanese hygiene that never ceases to intrigue foreigners ...

Various reasons for wearing face masks

Surprisingly, most people are not wearing masks to protect themselves from getting sick at all. However, as you will find out, Japanese people do wear face masks to protect themselves from other things that can make them miserable during certain times of the year.

In Japan, people wear face masks mainly because of allergies

In Japan’s springtime, when flowers blossom with exploding beauty, more than 60 species of trees and other plants emit pollen at the same time, triggering an allergic reaction called kafunsho (花粉症). Many people claim that this hay fever epidemic began in 1994, but documents dating back to 1964 already mention these spring allergies as being a major problem! Symptoms include non-stop sneezing and itchy eyes. A face mask protects the wearer from inhaling pollen through the nose. This is the primary reason why Japanese people wear masks, as a high percentage of them suffer from hay fever.

Face masks protect Japanese during periods of “yellow dust”

Similarly, there are periods when winds blowing into Japan from China and Mongolia’s Gobi Desert carry over “yellow dust” or “Asian dust”. These sandstorms also affect other countries situated east of China. The big problem with these winds are the contaminants that end up the infamous dust. In addition to viruses and bacteria, the storm carries debris from soot, pesticides, fungus, sulfur, carbon monoxide, microplastics, and even heavy metals such as mercury and lead. Even if this phenomenon occurs rarely, wearing a face mask will protect you from irritation of the throat and eyes.

Public health advisory: wear a face mask to avoid contaminating others

When you sneeze in Japan, don’t expect anyone to say “bless you” or anything else. It’s considered rude to blow your nose in public, and it’s not uncommon to hear people sniffling loudly for hours. These cultural differences really remind me that I’m on the other side of the world!

On the other hand, I find it interesting that it’s customary to wear a face mask when you’re sick to avoid contaminating your colleagues, friends, or family. Often times, a person is wearing a mask not to protect themselves from germs or viruses, but to keep from spreading them if they feel a cold coming on.

There are also public health advisories recommending that people gargle with water as soon as they get home, in order to kill any germs they might have inhaled outside before swallowing them. Take this medical advice with a grain of salt, but it certainly can’t hurt you if you want to try it yourself.

During the annual flu epidemic, I wore a face mask every time I went out into a public space and gargled as soon as I got back home. This discipline worked well for me. I recommend this technique for people living in other big cities. After all, millions of Japanese can’t be wrong.

Japanese have been wearing masks long before the COVID-19 pandemic

Perhaps the Japanese were better prepared for the COVID-19 pandemic because of their experience with another dangerous global pandemic, the Spanish Flu of the early 20th century. About 400,000 people in Japan died from the Spanish Flu, and hundreds of thousands more in Japan-colonized Korea and Taiwan.

As people became more knowledgeable about how the flu spread, educational materials were produced urging people to wear masks. For those who couldn’t afford to buy masks, instructions were printed in newspapers on how to make them. When the SARS panic gripped Asia nearly 80 years later, Japanese people were already conditioned to wearing masks and not a single fatality from SARS was recorded in Japan.

Once again, wearing a face mask in Japan is a common occurrence. Japanese people wear face masks in public for a variety of reasons, mainly because of seasonal hay fever, but also for various personal reasons, and from their history dealing with other flu-related pandemics.

If wearing a face-covering in public spaces has more recently caught on in the rest of the world since the spread of COVID-19, in Japan, wearing a face mask has simply become more of a daily routine.

I also read that some in Japan, mainly teenagers and early twenties, wear the mask to pretty much help avoid people. They can put ear buds in, cover their mouth/nose with a mask and basically be left alone while on the train or walking down the street

I haven't gone through this one yet, and it's a bit long for me to copy & paste into a thread here -- it covers the historical underpinnings of mask wearing in Japan and Korea:

The material lives of masks in Japan and South Korea
Yep   :hifive:

Environmental problems remain the main reason why masks have repeatedly appeared in the postwar history of the two countries. I am curious why the Korean government has distributed masks to its citizens more often than regulating pollutants produced by petrol engines and factories.

My hypothesis is that the masks might have been the government’s means of avoiding responsibility for protecting citizens from the outcome of their state-led and -centered industrialization. By putting masks on people’s faces, governments could attribute the responsibility of their own health problems caused by environmental pollution to individuals. This could be applied to the Japanese experience.

nope it took that long to clear up -  i caught a chest cold - never recovered.  Went to urgent care got put on a nebulizer and medicine.  Slowly got better.  then got worse, then better then worse.  Went to a doctor - he prescribed medicine - slowly got better than worse then better.   Went back - he gave me something else.   Was fine after 2 weeks.    I had congestion and cough the whole time.   It would slowly get better than worse on and off.    :shrug:  but never felt sick - just that gosh darn cough
If your doctor prescribed a nebulized medication then you likely had a component of reactive airways disease/asthma.  Routine nebulized medications do not treat infections.  

Not knowing what those other medicines you were prescribed, I can't comment further.  Glad you're better now.

Trying to stop people from catching a light cold is dumb.  You know how people can learn to develop the proteins themselves needed to combat illness without a vaccine right?
I'm exaggerating a bit to make a point. Coughing all over a shared office is, at best, poor manners and was so before COVID. One of the ideas is that you wouldn't know right away whether you were spreading a light cold or viral bronchitis. YMMV.

I'm exaggerating a bit to make a point. Coughing all over a shared office is, at best, poor manners and was so before COVID. One of the ideas is that you wouldn't know right away whether you were spreading a light cold or viral bronchitis. YMMV.
I was assured a page or two back that we wouldn't be talked into wearing masks to avoid the regular flu.  Here we are at least a full page later with people incorrectly exaggerating saying Asian countries do it for the common cold when in reality mask wearing in Asian countries became popular because of air pollution.

I don't know anyone that just goes about coughing all over other people's computer monitors and keyboards (more exaggeration).  We've done just fine with colds and the flu and sickness in general without such draconian measures as mask wearing.  Now we have a vaccine we should go back to normal and treat the covid just like we do the flu.  

I don't think downplaying this pandemic and it's death toll for the sake of #ditchthemask and individual freedoms is the way to go. Neither is misrepresenting the safety practices of Eastern Asian countries. We also don't know how long the vaccine will be effective for. So to turn the page as if it'll all over is selfish and irresponsible; it's as if some people haven't learned anything in the past year.

I don't think downplaying this pandemic and it's death toll for the sake of #ditchthemask and individual freedoms is the way to go. Neither is misrepresenting the safety practices of Eastern Asian countries. We also don't know how long the vaccine will be effective for. So to turn the page as if it'll all over is selfish and irresponsible; it's as if some people haven't learned anything in the past year.
I don't mean to be down playing anything. It's about moving forward, opening schools, opening businesses and yes getting rid of mask wearing.  

Some people said May, others have predictions as late as labor day where we aren't wearing masks.  I just happed to be a little sooner than everyone else, I think we do it as soon as your state has moved out of vaccinating everyone over 65+.  Everything should be open then/soon.

I hope that places where wearing a mask is barely an inconvenience (retail/grocery/convenience stores, libraries, and a bunch of other places I can't think of right now) there is a decent size of the population that will just wear one either all the time or particularly when they are feeling subpar. I am not hopeful that this will happen though. 

Not all vaccines are sterilizing vaccines.

These are thought to be amazing for preventing death and severe symptoms.  Transmission is likely reduced, but not to zero because of where the infections start (upper respiratory).  So you can get infected by someone, have replication in your nose/throat, and be able to transmit via cough/aerosols.  The vaccines are amazing at preventing more spread via bloodstream, and therefore knocking out the severity.  It takes longer apparently for the antibodies in the mucous membranes to kick in.

The viral load and length of replication in those areas is likely lessened, but this is why mask wearing is still a factor.
I'm going to post it since others won't fess up to this, I had no idea it goes the way some of you have informed us and I'm being brutally honest. I thought you got the vaccine and that was that, "It is what it is"

But my natural tendency to that information is I'm not going to get vaccinated because it doesn't make me bullet proof. Juts being honest. Wife got hers, I'm still on the fence I guess plus i'm highly unlikely to catch it or show symptoms, I'm in the best health and shape in the last 25 years of my life, and I never liked to get on planes to begin with after 9/11, this just further pushes me out of the planes and into RVs. 

But I am so pleased i did this thread because despite a few punches being thrown here and there, it's been a good eye opener for a few of us. I also want to thank everyone for keeping most of it above boards and showing at least moderate respect for those you have far differing opinions from especially in other forums, the MoP thanks you. 

i was a terrible offender, of coming in sick.  no more. 
Used to pride myself when i was working at Lehman Brothers in SoCal back in 2003-2005 working late into the nights and putting up Kleenex boxes and had every OTC medication you could find plus other stuff and I used to think I was a hero, little bottle of liquor down there like it's cough syrup, oof! 

Seems like dark ages at this point. 

I'm going to post it since others won't fess up to this, I had no idea it goes the way some of you have informed us and I'm being brutally honest. I thought you got the vaccine and that was that, "It is what it is"

But my natural tendency to that information is I'm not going to get vaccinated because it doesn't make me bullet proof. Juts being honest. Wife got hers, I'm still on the fence I guess plus i'm highly unlikely to catch it or show symptoms, I'm in the best health and shape in the last 25 years of my life, and I never liked to get on planes to begin with after 9/11, this just further pushes me out of the planes and into RVs. 

But I am so pleased i did this thread because despite a few punches being thrown here and there, it's been a good eye opener for a few of us. I also want to thank everyone for keeping most of it above boards and showing at least moderate respect for those you have far differing opinions from especially in other forums, the MoP thanks you. 
The vaccine still is very much effective.  It just isn't the measles vaccine and we are still in the middle of a global pandemic, so thinking you are bullet proof after vaccination is a mistake, especially prior to having 70%+ of the population also vaccinated.  You getting the vaccine will help us all get to where we want to be -- don't let some of the technicalities pointed out here persuade you in the other direction. 

We do this right, and it becomes another version of the common cold (like the Russian Flu of the 1800s which may have been a novel coronavirus pandemic) and maybe we take better care of ourselves going forward and do more to prevent future pandemics and flu outbreaks (which kills 50,000 people per year here!)

Home air purification systems, want to weigh in on these Doc? Good to have, waste of money? 

Appreciate you pushing us to stay on track and key in the science and what we know vs conjecture let's say. 

Users who are viewing this thread