What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Covid Vaccination: Florida-52% of Seniors in Palm Beach already received theirs AND now 18+ ONLY a Dr's Note like when you are late for work or want m (2 Viewers)

Not exactly.  Maybe after SARS it started to become popular for sick people, but, in the last half of the 20th century when it became vouge it was because of air pollution.  

Trying to stop people from catching a light cold is dumb.  You know how people can learn to develop the proteins themselves needed to combat illness without a vaccine right?
Diet and exercise? 

I also read that some in Japan, mainly teenagers and early twenties, wear the mask to pretty much help avoid people. They can put ear buds in, cover their mouth/nose with a mask and basically be left alone while on the train or walking down the street
That sounds weird to some folks almost like a social recluse. Why would someone want to go to such great lengths?

I don't think downplaying this pandemic and it's death toll for the sake of #ditchthemask and individual freedoms is the way to go. Neither is misrepresenting the safety practices of Eastern Asian countries. We also don't know how long the vaccine will be effective for. So to turn the page as if it'll all over is selfish and irresponsible; it's as if some people haven't learned anything in the past year.
Those were the key words i took away from that post. Also that's a mighty big soapbox we are standing on as 10 Million plus people have been put out of work and on the verge of poverty as bread crumbs or a tiny fraction of a 2 Trillion stimulus that appears to be paying for everything other than food and housing for out of work Americans so there's a lot of moving pieces here and I know it's irresponsible to have such a narrow view of this pandemic, you wonder what people have been doing locked inside the last 12 months.  ;)

Good post, you forced me to reach back a little. And I'm still wearing mine but tonight in Publix is the first time I noticed there does not seem to be any signs posted about masks and not everyone is wearing their masks, as more are vaccinated here I can assume less and less are going to follow any guidelines. 

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds weird to some folks almost like a social recluse. Why would someone want to go to such great lengths?
:shrug: I sort of get it. It isn't a great legth to go to wear a mask, and if it is already an accepted ritual in the country, nobody really cares.

For others, they offer anonymity and a break from social interaction. By wearing a mask, you not only make yourself less approachable, but you no longer have to put effort into the interactions you do have and react accordingly with a smile, frown or laugh, because no one can see it. 

I'm going to post it since others won't fess up to this, I had no idea it goes the way some of you have informed us and I'm being brutally honest. I thought you got the vaccine and that was that, "It is what it is"
Think of vaccines as kind of like the stereotypical 98-lb weakling that starts hitting the weights and taking Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

Before weights and BJJ, the jock prigs would pants the weakling every morning and take his lunch money. The weakling couldn't do jack about it ... he'd get pants, his money taken, and then he'd have to sit there and take it because he didn't have the ability or wherewithal to fight back.

The weight regimen and BJJ lessons will become his 'vaccination' against bullies.

Will getting swole and learning BJJ keep the jocks from catching the former weakling by surprise? Maybe getting in a quick pantsing from behind, or a sucker-slap to the back of the head? No, a bully "infection" is still possible -- they can still walk up behind you and catch you by surprise.

But now, the newly-buff BJJ guy can do something about it. After shrugging off the head slap, BJJ guy sprains one jocks elbow Steven-Seagal style while throat-punching two of his buddies. The jocks are sent running from the cafeteria like the little Bs they really are. That overwhelming response to bully BS was like "antibodies" coming to the fore ... all thanks to the "vaccination" the former weakling took by hitting the weights and practicing martial arts.

The SARS-CoV-2 virus can still infect a vaccinated person. That is, the viruses can still be breathed into your nasal passages, can land on your olfactory epithelium, and start invading the nearest cell membranes.

For a little while.

However, the payoff of the vaccination soon kicks in. Your body is now primed to produce SARS-CoV-2 antibodies from jump. Essentially, antibodies start jumping down from the rafters and laying a can of whoop-arsze on the offending virions before they can multiply in significant numbers. Before long, it starts looking like the UFC All-Stars vs. the Lambdas having a bar fight. The virions get thrown out of the bar room that is your nasal passages in short order.

Before you know it ... you've recovered from your COVID infection! And you probably didn't feel a thing. 

San Antonio, the 7th largest city in the US, apparently is not considered a "vaccine hub." So we get to wait several extra weeks before we will be graced with the J&J vaccine.
That's too bad.  Yesterday they got throughput up where I was to 9000 first shots in a day which is the record.  they are adding 8 more lanes to start supporting 2nd shots (edit: better, they were doing 2nd shots before).  Ultimately trying to get it to 25k a day in total.  A Day. 

If this wasn't happening in my town (and it was sufficiently large) I'd be freaking the hell out.  

That's too bad.  Yesterday they got throughput up where I was to 9000 first shots in a day which is the record.  they are adding 8 more lanes to start supporting 2nd shots.  Ultimately trying to get it to 25k a day in total.  A Day. 

If this wasn't happening in my town (and it was sufficiently large) I'd be freaking the hell out.  
For anyone who missed Culdeus' post describing his voluntary 15 hours at FEMA in Dallas, TX or I assume somewhere around there, worth the read in the main Covid thread, I meant to post it in here. He deserves a thunderous round of applause and should inspire others. I have been helping Seniors get their shots in my Condo Community for weeks but it's not a contest, simply do something for anyone around you to help that you can and you will have done enough. 

Cheers!

Had to drive from Martin County down into almost the Dade/Broward line today and when I got to North Broward on the Turnpike out by Tradewinds Park I will say...the line of cars my holy gawd were they piled up and looked like a half mile or more of cars stacked up going out to the Highway Ramp just to exit.  I assume they are vaccinating folks there and not just testing. 

Also Texas opts to go no mask mandate, when did they vaccinate so many folks they can do that without anything bad happening?

What's with the Gov. Abbott in Texas? 

I'm all for opening things up more, but with let's keep the masks on until we get a whole lot more people vaccinated and see some results.  
Binks, you can tell me I'm wrong but it kind of feels like other Governors were feeling pressure or in a bid not to be outdone, Texas just bypasses having to vaccinate to the numbers even Florida has managed to reach and just decides to open everything up. Seems like an incredibly unnecessary gamble when the state would be in such a better position in just another 4-6 weeks, maybe 8? He could have announced "Alright, we want to have a big kickoff in 6 weeks when we vaccinate our 1 Millionth citizen" or whatever the arbitrary number is but tie it in to something that celebrates everyone's participation. 

This was a bit of a head scratcher for me, I thought the dude from Florida would beat everyone to the punch on this since he appears to have the market cornered on vaccinations.  

Binks, you can tell me I'm wrong but it kind of feels like other Governors were feeling pressure or in a bid not to be outdone, Texas just bypasses having to vaccinate to the numbers even Florida has managed to reach and just decides to open everything up. Seems like an incredibly unnecessary gamble when the state would be in such a better position in just another 4-6 weeks, maybe 8? He could have announced "Alright, we want to have a big kickoff in 6 weeks when we vaccinate our 1 Millionth citizen" or whatever the arbitrary number is but tie it in to something that celebrates everyone's participation. 

This was a bit of a head scratcher for me, I thought the dude from Florida would beat everyone to the punch on this since he appears to have the market cornered on vaccinations.  
maybe here's our answer - this cannot be understated ...same reason they are willing to submit their residents to power grid outages

@SergioChapa

·57m

Footnote: Abbott's order came down on Texas Independence Day

If he is of the opinion that a vaccine will be available to anyone who want one in two months AND he also says that Texans still need to exercise restraint (or whatever he said), then why not keep the mandates in place?  This has disaster written all over it, and as people travel to and from Texas it keeps the country from getting to that lower baseline number that needs to be hit to get back to a real sense of normalcy.  

Ministry of Pain said:
Had to drive from Martin County down into almost the Dade/Broward line today and when I got to North Broward on the Turnpike out by Tradewinds Park I will say...the line of cars my holy gawd were they piled up and looked like a half mile or more of cars stacked up going out to the Highway Ramp just to exit. 

Also Texas opts to go no mask mandate, when did they vaccinate so many folks they can do that without anything bad happening?
they didn't.  no one has, IMHO.  unfortunately, people are stupid.  they think that the mere presence of a vaccine, means we're good and it's just a flu.   

and i'm not sure where you're getting your numbers as far as FL being the best at disseminating the vaccine.

total doses given: CA 9.5M  TX 5.96  FL 5.08M 

both doses:  CA 2.91M  TX 2.03M  FL 1.8M

% of population fully vaccinated:  FL is 23rd, CA is 39th and TX is 41st.  AK is 1st :lmao:  

source

If he is of the opinion that a vaccine will be available to anyone who want one in two months AND he also says that Texans still need to exercise restraint (or whatever he said), then why not keep the mandates in place?  This has disaster written all over it, and as people travel to and from Texas it keeps the country from getting to that lower baseline number that needs to be hit to get back to a real sense of normalcy.  
Abbott must hate math and science.

Ministry of Pain said:
I'm going to post it since others won't fess up to this, I had no idea it goes the way some of you have informed us and I'm being brutally honest. I thought you got the vaccine and that was that, "It is what it is"

But my natural tendency to that information is I'm not going to get vaccinated because it doesn't make me bullet proof. Juts being honest. Wife got hers, I'm still on the fence I guess plus i'm highly unlikely to catch it or show symptoms, I'm in the best health and shape in the last 25 years of my life, and I never liked to get on planes to begin with after 9/11, this just further pushes me out of the planes and into RVs. 

But I am so pleased i did this thread because despite a few punches being thrown here and there, it's been a good eye opener for a few of us. I also want to thank everyone for keeping most of it above boards and showing at least moderate respect for those you have far differing opinions from especially in other forums, the MoP thanks you. 
I was much in the same line of thinking last summer. Till more and more people I know started coming down with it. Young folks. A few of those didn't make it. A couple were my age or younger. Healthy. Normal people. No underlying conditions. Even those that didn't need hospitalization, there were a good number that had awful symptoms (fatigue, cramping, no taste and smell for MONTHS, etc.). Of course, there are a good number I know who had it early on, had no issues, mild or no symptoms at all. They're also now susceptible to a second infection. I read something a little while back, after my "I'm healthy, why would I need this vaccine?" thinking. Healthy does not mean immune. That stuck with me. And for me? I don't want to not be able to taste my coffee or beer or bourbon or good food for a short period of time, much less for a lengthy one. That in itself, was enough for me. Second dose in last Monday. 🍻

I was much in the same line of thinking last summer. Till more and more people I know started coming down with it. Young folks. A few of those didn't make it. A couple were my age or younger. Healthy. Normal people. No underlying conditions. Even those that didn't need hospitalization, there were a good number that had awful symptoms (fatigue, cramping, no taste and smell for MONTHS, etc.). Of course, there are a good number I know who had it early on, had no issues, mild or no symptoms at all. They're also now susceptible to a second infection. I read something a little while back, after my "I'm healthy, why would I need this vaccine?" thinking. Healthy does not mean immune. That stuck with me. And for me? I don't want to not be able to taste my coffee or beer or bourbon or good food for a short period of time, much less for a lengthy one. That in itself, was enough for me. Second dose in last Monday. 🍻
Not to mention the long-haulers.

That is a good point yopu brought up about dangling the carrot out there to encourage participation in beating this.  Here in Michigan, we just get scoldings.  What does it take to move to the next level?  No one really knows, then it turns into a Qanon conspiracy when it doesn't have to.  

You are obviously unfamiliar with Abbott's body of work. Take logic and reason, make a decision, then do the opposite. That is Abbott in a nutshell.

tonydead said:
Some people said May, others have predictions as late as labor day where we aren't wearing masks.  I just happed to be a little sooner than everyone else, I think we do it as soon as your state has moved out of vaccinating everyone over 65+.  Everything should be open then/soon.
Apparently the governors of Texas and Mississippi agree with me. Both lifting mask mandates and opening all retail settings up to 100%   :thumbup:

WLRN-Miami

In that link to a PBS affiliate in South Florida, they printed that 71% of the vaccine recipients are White, 3.6% Hispanic, 3% Black...not sure what the other 21% is but you can gather that it appears white folks are somehow getting vaccinated at a higher pace or rate if anyone has any thoughts on that...I'm having a hard time understanding that data and where they pulled it from. 

WLRN-Miami

In that link to a PBS affiliate in South Florida, they printed that 71% of the vaccine recipients are White, 3.6% Hispanic, 3% Black...not sure what the other 21% is but you can gather that it appears white folks are somehow getting vaccinated at a higher pace or rate if anyone has any thoughts on that...I'm having a hard time understanding that data and where they pulled it from. 
1.  Lots of white people I know are jumping the line.  Plain and simple, they have more access to people who will "pull a favor" for them.   White privilege.   Except white people don't see it that way.

2.  There have been articles about black people who (for good reason) don't trust the government.  Tuskegee comes to mind, but let's all just admit that our govt hasn't historically been trustworthy for the black community.

3.  Anecdotal, but my parents have some illegal hispanics who live a couple doors over.  My dad is good friends with the husband, and he's mentioned that a bunch of their family & co-workers A) are afraid of somehow getting deported as part of this (????) and B) don't think the vaccines are safe, C) many of them have already had the virus so they don't see the point in getting vaccinated.

None of the above is meant to be scientific.

Do East Asians with seasonal allergies wear masks all the time?  Not trolling, honest question.  Because that would suck
There's another board where I can ask this and get quick responses from people who live in Japan, Korea, China, and Thailand. This is a good question, and I will put it out there.

What I think the answer is ... is "not really, but sometimes" ...

But I do want to get something more than my own supposition. I'll report back the responses.
Here are some of the responses so far:

... I sometimes wear a face mask specifically to help with allergies. For example, I have a mask with a removable filter that allows me to stand a few feet away from someone smoking and I can’t smell the smoke at all. I’m extremely allergic to cigarette smoke. It also helps a lot with dust allergies ...
It happens, at least in Korea and Japan.

I’m not sure how socially ‘compelled’ people feel about it though. There’s a decades long history of people masking not only for disease but for seasonal allergies and air pollution. It’s just something people do naturally anyway at this point.

Not sure anybody would really complain, though, if somebody with allergies wasn’t masked, at least up to last year. It’s not like mask wearing is universal, even there.
In Taiwan, often yes, any allergies or sneezing (be it cold, flu, etc.) would make a facemask considered proper etiquette.
If there’s a social tradition that decent unselfish people mask to prevent the spread of disease, it’s easy to imagine why someone with allergies would still mask, since other people just don’t know that [it's allergies and not illness] ... [If] you hypothetically somehow knew that you had total sterilizing immunity to the virus, what would you do when out and about [and were experiencing visible allergy symptoms]? Going into a grocery store and encountering strangers I’d just wear some kind of comfortable cloth mask - not needed, but not at all inconvenient. Whereas if it were some context where I might otherwise have to wear an N95 for 8 hours straight, obviously there be a good incentive to just explain why I didn’t need to.

HOLY MOTHER BLEEPER did I just get some major news dropped on me and I do mean ME as it relates to myself. 

My brother who serves as 2nd in Command for the Veterans Affairs Dept in Washington D.C. and was approved to be promoted to the acting Deputy Director or whatever the big promotion was back in Summer/Fall of 2020, he has decided to not accept that promotion and was set to step down and go back into the private sector...the VA Dept said "Oh no you don't" (My Brother also spearheads all CyberSecurity there) and they opted to offer him the option of staying in the position he currently holds but can work by remote from ANYWHERE in the USA and can you believe where he is moving? 

:clap:   Florida!!!

We have not been close since both my parents passed away when we were much younger especially when my father died, it put us really far apart almost enemies at times I would say. When my son came into my life 2.5 years ago, my son helped the two of us mend fences and we all flew to DC and reunited so he could meet his Uncle for the very first time...it was surreal having all three of us in the room at once. 

Thru this Covid I have lost enough weight to be in the best shape of the last 25+ years of my life and maybe ever. We have managed to pay off all of our debts except our mortgage/home but we are almost done with a ReFi and my monthly nut has dropped in the last 12 months by almost HALF if not more. And now you tell me that i am going to have my brother back in my life after all this after he swore off Florida where we grew up but his tune has changed a lot since last summer. 

I don't believe this is happening. 

In about 2 weeks the good folks who run Publix are going to start paying their employees $125 each to get vaccinated

Should companies pay their employees to be vaccinated? Would an office Exec get $1,000 to go get a shot?

In about 2 weeks the good folks who run Publix are going to start paying their employees $125 each to get vaccinated

Should companies pay their employees to be vaccinated? Would an office Exec get $1,000 to go get a shot?
From what I understand,  Publix is quite generous with their benefits so better to pay that than pay sick time.

Not to be overly cynical but how much is Publix getting paid for each vaccination? (assuming the employees are getting the shots in the store)

Should companies pay their employees to be vaccinated? 
Daughter works at a retirement home that was ravaged by COVID a couple months ago. Over half of the residents died. The ones that survived were forced into weeks/months of isolation, unable to leave their rooms until they had zero cases. Yesterday she went in and they were back in the "yellow zone" (which means the residents are not allowed to leave their rooms). The reason? Three of the nurses who refused the vaccine have contracted COVID and exposed everyone all over again.

I dont understand how these people could be so selfish and I dont understand how the retirement home would allow them to work there without the vaccine. You shouldnt have to pay people to do what's right. I would be livid if I had a loved one in there.

PS - they were already getting paid ($50) to get tested twice a week.

Got my first Moderna last night in Publix in Winter Garden. Very efficient operation. Just like picking up a prescription and then moved around to waiting areas for the shot.

And there were folks ranging from 20-85 in the waiting area. Everyone cheerful!

Joe Mammy said:
Got my first Moderna last night in Publix in Winter Garden. Very efficient operation. Just like picking up a prescription and then moved around to waiting areas for the shot.

And there were folks ranging from 20-85 in the waiting area. Everyone cheerful!
I am so happy for you from where we were a week ago Joe, hope you don't feel too bad from the shots and hopefully this will give you back some freedom. 

Cheers bud  :thumbup:

E-Z Glider said:
I don't understand how these people could be so selfish and I don't understand how the retirement home would allow them to work there without the vaccine. You shouldn't have to pay people to do what's right. I would be livid if I had a loved one in there.
The home where my FIL resides was just bought out by Juniper Communities. Day one, Juniper imposes mandatory vaccine if you want to work there. If you don't want the vaccine, best of luck to you elsewhere. We love it.

Capella said:
Yes. In fact, I think the government should have offered money for people to get the shots. 
Is there a reason why getting vaccinated couldn't be attached to stimulus money?

Capella said:
Yes. In fact, I think the government should have offered money for people to get the shots. 
Interesting. I have to ask... why? Have we actually digressed so badly as a nation that we need to pay people to protect themselves? Or is there some other thought behind your statement? I am assuming there is I am am just missing your point. At least I hope I am.

Users who are viewing this thread