What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dark Souls III (1 Viewer)

Yeah actually I found that I can handle those guys much better with my old trusty broadsword.  Like you said, the key is to get the first clean hit in, then you can basically just hack them to death.

I resorted to summoning to get past the boss of that area, and then coop'ed him a few times.  It's a completely different fight when people can take turns withstanding the guy's non-stop aggro.  Did some exploring after that.  In one direction, I encountered Anor Londo Archers 2.0, and found the dungeon the other way.  I decided to tackle the dungeon, and I'm currently about halfway through.  

Yeah actually I found that I can handle those guys much better with my old trusty broadsword.  Like you said, the key is to get the first clean hit in, then you can basically just hack them to death.

I resorted to summoning to get past the boss of that area, and then coop'ed him a few times.  It's a completely different fight when people can take turns withstanding the guy's non-stop aggro.  Did some exploring after that.  In one direction, I encountered Anor Londo Archers 2.0, and found the dungeon the other way.  I decided to tackle the dungeon, and I'm currently about halfway through.  
I'm on that boss.  He just demolishes me. I tried about 4 times and only got a few hits in before I get taken out.  On my first play through I refuse to summon help, but he's making me rethink that!  I just need a few more attempts to get his patterns down and figure out when my opportunities arise. Right now though, he wrecks me. 

If I get too frustrated, I'll hit the dungeon up. 

Edit: Yeeeeep, heading to the dungeon first. I'm not even close to beating the Ithiryll Boss. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so paranoid about beating bosses and messing up quest lines I'm exploring as much as I can before tackling the bosses. I just got all the fires extinguished in the swampy area and opened that door which so far seems just to lead back to an areaive already discovered.

Btw, those tree dudes in the swamp wreck me. While the bosses haven't been crazy hard so far, your average enemy is so much tougher in this game then any of the others. 

I'm so paranoid about beating bosses and messing up quest lines I'm exploring as much as I can before tackling the bosses. I just got all the fires extinguished in the swampy area and opened that door which so far seems just to lead back to an areaive already discovered.

Btw, those tree dudes in the swamp wreck me. While the bosses haven't been crazy hard so far, your average enemy is so much tougher in this game then any of the others. 
The tree guys were especially hard for me. Anytime I'm in a swamp or water area and can't roll, I have to play way differently than usual. I was hoping they were considered mini bosses and didn't respawn, but no such luck. 

So now I see that I a) completely missed a side-tunnel that I need to follow to get through the dungeon, which is on me, and b) broke another quest line by visiting the dungeon too soon.  Given how great this game is, I'm not too worried about ruining that quest through something semi-random, since I'll be playing this a few more time regardless.  Unlike Bloodborne, where all the character builds were kind of same-y, this game seems to have a lot of scope for different builds and playstyles.

So now I see that I a) completely missed a side-tunnel that I need to follow to get through the dungeon, which is on me, and b) broke another quest line by visiting the dungeon too soon.  Given how great this game is, I'm not too worried about ruining that quest through something semi-random, since I'll be playing this a few more time regardless.  Unlike Bloodborne, where all the character builds were kind of same-y, this game seems to have a lot of scope for different builds and playstyles.
What quest line?  I'm running through the dungeon right now. If f'Ing Xbox live wasn't messed up right now and kicking me out of the game every 5 minutes that is. 

What quest line?  I'm running through the dungeon right now. If f'Ing Xbox live wasn't messed up right now and kicking me out of the game every 5 minutes that is. 

The Seigward quest line.  Apparently, you have to talk to him in the kitchen back in the previous area before even activating the dungeon bonfire if you want to finish that line.  I don't quite get this since I talked to him in the basement of the dungeon so it's not like he's dead.  But allegedly I missed something thanks to this.

The Seigward quest line.  Apparently, you have to talk to him in the kitchen back in the previous area before even activating the dungeon bonfire if you want to finish that line.  I don't quite get this since I talked to him in the basement of the dungeon so it's not like he's dead.  But allegedly I missed something thanks to this.
Ahhh ok luckily I hit that part first.  You played Demons Souls right?  

The dungeon feels just like a remake straight from that game.  I thought it was a nice homage.  Also the ballista in the smoldering lake too.

Ahhh ok luckily I hit that part first.  You played Demons Souls right?  

The dungeon feels just like a remake straight from that game.  I thought it was a nice homage.  Also the ballista in the smoldering lake too.

Hide contents
Agreed 100%.  Demon's Souls is my favorite installment in the franchise, probably for nostalgia reasons admittedly.  I absolutely love the references to that game in this one, the dungeon being the most overt so far.  

I wonder how much they have saved up for the DLCs. Has a very complete story imo, comparatively to 1 and 2.

So apparently my soloing every boss thing can't happen this run.  You get NPC help on a certain boss if you do their quest line even without summoning them in. They're even in the cutscene when you go through the fog wall. 

Made the boss super easy, although honestly I'm not sure it would have been a tough one solo. I only got hit once and had plenty of time to get away. 

You can bypass the bell tower door to get the covetous serpent ring by:

Jumping off the tree onto the roof that's outside the door. Face the door and turn around- it's that tree to your right, -run to the corner the kemp left. Took me about 20 attempts.
There's no way around getting inside the tower without buying the key but that ring will help you get 20 souls a little faster.

I just don't know if I can beat Pontiff solo. I really don't. I think he's given me more issue than any boss in any of the games.  He just destroys my play style. 

I just don't know if I can beat Pontiff solo. I really don't. I think he's given me more issue than any boss in any of the games.  He just destroys my play style. 
Honestly, that guy feels like a Bloodborne boss dropped into a Souls game.  He's tough mainly because you can't move as fast and can't regain health through counterattacks.  I'm completely sure that I could have solo'ed him eventually, but I was enjoying the exploration aspect and the challenge dished out by "regular" enemies, so I didn't want to devote 20+ attempts to a boss.

My attitude toward fighting bosses solo is a little more lax now because I have to compete with my kids for PS4 time.  I didn't really mind fighting Watchdog of the Old Lords in the Defiled Chalice over and over and over again, because I could just walk away from the game when I needed a break without somebody else jumping on and staying on for the next several hours.  Now I just want to move things along a bit.   

Honestly, that guy feels like a Bloodborne boss dropped into a Souls game.  He's tough mainly because you can't move as fast and can't regain health through counterattacks.  I'm completely sure that I could have solo'ed him eventually, but I was enjoying the exploration aspect and the challenge dished out by "regular" enemies, so I didn't want to devote 20+ attempts to a boss.

My attitude toward fighting bosses solo is a little more lax now because I have to compete with my kids for PS4 time.  I didn't really mind fighting Watchdog of the Old Lords in the Defiled Chalice over and over and over again, because I could just walk away from the game when I needed a break without somebody else jumping on and staying on for the next several hours.  Now I just want to move things along a bit.   
I haven't played Bloodborne, so I can't comment on that but I've read that elsewhere too. He's just so freaking agressive and fast. I'm a 2 handed dodge guy, always am and that normally is fine. If he's going to roll off 6-7 attacks in a row I can't roll through them all and if he's you once, you're on the ropes. 

Now, that said I've tried probably 15 times. I added a shield and got close this past time / down to probably 15% health. Actually if I hadn't got panicky I might have done it - I needed to heal but was locked on so kept rolling around him when I was trying to book it to the other end of the arena. That did give me a little bit of hope though. 

Nice!  I can see where rolling would be especially tough.  By the time you get done dodging everything (if you do), you don't have enough stamina left to attack.

How in the world would a pure caster deal with this guy?  Seems like that would be straight-up murder.

Nice!  I can see where rolling would be especially tough.  By the time you get done dodging everything (if you do), you don't have enough stamina left to attack.

How in the world would a pure caster deal with this guy?  Seems like that would be straight-up murder.
I don't know much about casting, but I would think you'd get slaughtered considering he can jump half the church and hit you.  I should have moved off my dodge strategy earlier.  I had gotten to the point to where I could sometimes dodge every attack (not everytime though), but even when I did I was rarely close enough to get a swipe in with my last bit of stamina. Then on cases where it all worked perfectly and I dodged it all and got a swipe in, he'd reel off 6 more attacks and take me out. 

Onward and upward.  I hated playing him, but it was kind of exhilarating to finally take him down. DARK SOULS!

A little more fan service at the end of Profaned Capitol.  I'm fighting the boss and 

so why am I doing so little damage against this guy?  I'm obviously doing something wrong.  Maybe see what that shiny thing is?  OH, YES, I KNOW WHAT THIS IS.

First try was just figuring out what I was supposed to do, and second try was an easy kill.  Then I ran this fight co-op for a little while and again was stunned at the number of people who were summoning two or three sunbros for this thing.  I appreciate the nearly 10K souls a pop and easy level-ups, but come on guys.

A little more fan service at the end of Profaned Capitol.  I'm fighting the boss and 

so why am I doing so little damage against this guy?  I'm obviously doing something wrong.  Maybe see what that shiny thing is?  OH, YES, I KNOW WHAT THIS IS.

First try was just figuring out what I was supposed to do, and second try was an easy kill.  Then I ran this fight co-op for a little while and again was stunned at the number of people who were summoning two or three sunbros for this thing.  I appreciate the nearly 10K souls a pop and easy level-ups, but come on guys.

Yeah so on that one...

Siegward of Catarina joined me in battle.  Apparently if you complete his quest line, he comes in automatically.  It's not a summon thing, he just shows up.  In fact, when you enter the fog and the cutscene starts, he rolls on in and starts talking to Yhorm the Giant talking about how they were old friends and stuff.  It's probably worth a look to see the video on youtube because it was pretty neat.   That was the one I was referring to earlier - I'll take him solo on NG+.

Also, just to whet your appetite...  after Irithyl of Boreal Valley, by far the biggest piece of fan service in the game by a long shot.  It brought a smile to my face.

Its amazing how dumb I am when it comes to this game. Just watched Big's clip and saw estus +8. Whats this mean??? So I google it and now realize why I struggle so much with healing (and how little it does), so burning them at the bonfire increases the str of your flask! Here I thought it made the areas more difficult :(   

Guess I should actually do a little more reading. 

Its amazing how dumb I am when it comes to this game. Just watched Big's clip and saw estus +8. Whats this mean??? So I google it and now realize why I struggle so much with healing (and how little it does), so burning them at the bonfire increases the str of your flask! Here I thought it made the areas more difficult :(   

Guess I should actually do a little more reading. 
There's a ton of things I still don't fully understand. On the estus, I just know there's two different things to help out. The shard (I think) that you take to the old man blacksmith and that will give you extra uses. Then the other part you burn in the bonfire and it allows more recovery - like if it starts with 50 hp recovered, it'll then go to 60hp, then 70hp and on and on.  

Now, I still don't know one thing about that... I always burn them at the "home" bonfire.  I don't think it matters and I think they're all linked, but just in case they're not then that's what I do. 

how are load times after dying?

replaying Witcher 3 on the hardest setting and the load times are making me want to not replay Witcher 3 on the hardest setting anymore...

Also, just to whet your appetite...  after Irithyl of Boreal Valley, by far the biggest piece of fan service in the game by a long shot.  It brought a smile to my face.
Got there.  Awesome.  

I actually went around to the left to see if the giant was still there.  So sad.

:(  

All I gotta say is I love this game. It's what I wanted. However, there is a TON of stuff that is very easy to miss, and the NPC storylines are extremely fickle. I plan on doing several playthroughs so I kind of like that there are different ways to play it out in addition to the many different build possibilities.

This game has my favorite collection of bosses, it edges Bloodborne IMO. Even the gimmick bosses feel epic and satisfying. My toughness ranking (based on number of deaths):

Nameless King

Aldrich

Pontiff

Dancer

Dragonslayer Armor

Prince Lothric

Now that I've got Dark Orb (the dark counterpart to Fire Orb), I am melting stuff.  That spell does well over twice as much damage to silver knights as fire, and I wrecked Old Demon King with it.  

All I gotta say is I love this game. It's what I wanted. However, there is a TON of stuff that is very easy to miss, and the NPC storylines are extremely fickle. I plan on doing several playthroughs so I kind of like that there are different ways to play it out in addition to the many different build possibilities.

This game has my favorite collection of bosses, it edges Bloodborne IMO. Even the gimmick bosses feel epic and satisfying. My toughness ranking (based on number of deaths):

Nameless King

Aldrich

Pontiff

Dancer

Dragonslayer Armor

Prince Lothric

Im up against #2 on that list. Funny thing is I had as much success on my first attempt as I did the 10th. I get him down to about a quarter health each time, no more and no less. 

I want to buff my sword, but it's not letting me for some reason.  I go to buff to it, my guy reaches back like he can't do anything. I'm not really sure why though.  

Im up against #2 on that list. Funny thing is I had as much success on my first attempt as I did the 10th. I get him down to about a quarter health each time, no more and no less. 

I want to buff my sword, but it's not letting me for some reason.  I go to buff to it, my guy reaches back like he can't do anything. I'm not really sure why though.  
Your sword is likely already enchanted organs magic. For example, you couldn't buff the drake sword in DS1. 

I haven't tried buffs on my butchers knife but it won't let me enchant it.

Your sword is likely already enchanted organs magic. For example, you couldn't buff the drake sword in DS1. 

I haven't tried buffs on my butchers knife but it won't let me enchant it.
Hmmm I might need to go back to my straight sword and use it on this boss then...  It doesn't hit quite as hard (prob 70 less) but I think I'd make that up with a buff. I also haven't tried to upgrade it in 10 hours so I probably have stuff to upgrade it. 

I got to the same boss last night.  On my first attempt, I went dashing in and ran right into his AOE attack -- I think I was dead withing 5 seconds or so of entering the fog gate.  It was about my bedtime so I figured I would just shut it down for the day and come back tonight or tomorrow.  

IvanKaramazov said:
I got to the same boss last night.  On my first attempt, I went dashing in and ran right into his AOE attack -- I think I was dead withing 5 seconds or so of entering the fog gate.  It was about my bedtime so I figured I would just shut it down for the day and come back tonight or tomorrow.  
Just got him. I'd say the last two bosses have been two of the hardest in all of the games for me. It seems weird, but Orstein and Smough for me were a first try kill, Gwyn took me a handful but nothing too bad, and hardly any of the DS2 bosses gave me trouble. I'd probably out Pontiff at #1 all time for me and Alrich in the top 3. 

After spending 4 days and a number of hours on two bosses, I made some decent progress last night.  After Aldrich, I took on another boss (will list in spoilers below) and had that one down in about 5 tries. I actually enjoyed that boss, but that was probably because it didn't take long to get a read on the attacks.  After that, I moved on and made some decent progress through the next area. 

Im kinda curious how far I am into the game at this point.

Boss was Dancer of Boreal Valley

AIm kinda curious how far I am into the game at this point.

Boss was Dancer of Boreal Valley
only look if you are not too concerned about spoilers in terms of total number of bosses

in a list that roughly shows the bosses in the order you will fight them, one site lists Dancer of Boreal Valley as the 12th boss of 19 total).  Note that 6 of the 19 are considered "optional"

I didn't play yesterday and just got back to Aldrich today, but I had no issues with that guy -- took 4 tries, including one in which I had him down to a sliver of health and got a little greedy.  He's weak to fire, and I did pretty well hitting him with Chaos Fire Orb in between dodging his attacks, and whacking his tail with my broadsword when the opportunity arose.  

Dancer is next.  This one seems much tougher.

I didn't play yesterday and just got back to Aldrich today, but I had no issues with that guy -- took 4 tries, including one in which I had him down to a sliver of health and got a little greedy.  He's weak to fire, and I did pretty well hitting him with Chaos Fire Orb in between dodging his attacks, and whacking his tail with my broadsword when the opportunity arose.  

Dancer is next.  This one seems much tougher.
Dancer was substantially easier for me than Aldrich.  Aldrich gave me some trouble, but dancer is less hectic, more smooth and reactionary. Sounds cheesey but that fight is kinda like a dance, where Aldrich for me was just run as fast as I could toward him until "that" attack comes up and then run away as fast as I can.  I just got to the boss after Dancer. Seems doable, just dont have the timing down yet. 

I just realized when I shut down last night that I've got about 45 hours invested in my character already, and I'm only just past the Dancer.  I move through these things really slowly.  

I just realized when I shut down last night that I've got about 45 hours invested in my character already, and I'm only just past the Dancer.  I move through these things really slowly.  

Im at 46 hours I think and just finished the portion and boss after Dancer.  No reason to rush!  DS1 didn't take me too long (like 30 hours), but I took my time on DS2 and ended in around 65 hours I think. 

What did you think of the Dancer fight?  I really enjoyed that one.  

Jeebus where do you find the time..... :jealous:
I telecommute, so that's an hour during the lunch part of the day pretty much every day.  During the cooler months I take the dog for a walk at lunch, but it's too warm in ATL to do that until later in the evening for him.

Also the wife is in grad school, so she's studying at night and I play.  

I'm 30 hours in but at least 5 of that is me sitting at the bonfire idle. 

Im not abig PVP guy. I find invaders to be pretty annoying but mostly because it seems I always run into guys who are obviously way overpowered but so far i haven't experienced that in this game. 

I was just searching for the sorcerer merchant near the Chrystal sage bonfire and with the help of a sunbro, he and I participated in a pretty epic string of battles against multiple invaders. The battle ended up spilling into the swamp with the crabs - which made it a severe disadvantage to us. We had 3 invaders and two giant crabs after us and we managed to win! Later I had a relentless guy chasing after me and I was at about 20 % health, just running and running for about a minute straight. Every so often he would get another stab in, inching me closer to death and it seemed every time I got close to heal I would run into another invader or npc. Off in the distance I saw my buddy finish off a invader , so I bought time and ran sorta parallel to him so as not to alert my foe to his presence. I got in a quick heal, raised my shield and just as the last of my stamina drained my sunbro buried his sword into the invaders back. Hard to count how many but I know I killed at least 3 guys and I saw him kill at least two himself. Then on our way back to the bonfire we saw an idle invader. I guess he couldn't find where all the action was and got bored and sat his controller down so we got a nice and easy free kill there.

I may have to get into this PVP a little more this time around. Really intense and rewarding stuff. Still think it's kinda weak invaders don't have to deal with the npcs.

Users who are viewing this thread