What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dawn of The Planet of The Apes (1 Viewer)

Went last night and thought it was awesome! I'm glad I re-watched Rise a couple days ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw it last night.... and didn't like it.

Too long, found the story disappointing, like above extremely cliche. The lead actors were a blah (Russell and Oldman are good though). The visuals and graphics are the best thing, amazing.
This was me. Was actualy pretty excited going in. But ended up feeling pretty "meh" about the whole thing.
Yeah felt myself wandering at times. Not much emotion, tension nor anything clever. All of which the first one had.

Finally saw this yesterday and I thought it was awesome. Koba will go down, IMO, as one of the great movie villains of all time.

Incidentally- a bit of trivia- "Koba" was the name Joseph Stalin called himself during the early years of the Soviet revolution. The writers named this character with that in mind.

That movie was awesome!!! Dont go to the movies much, but glad I saw this one on the big screen.

I got one word for you nit pickers, BANANAS!!!!

My son and I watched Rise Friday night (his first time) and then went and saw Dawn last night...loved it!!! Powerful, emotional movie. Even if you've seen 1st, watch again so the story is fresh in your mind.

Its a reboot for sure as the series now shifts its concerns from time travel and social commentary about race and nuclear war to address animal rights, medical research, and the threat of viruses
Saw it again and I think there is a lot of social commentary in these first two movies. It may not be as overt as the others but it is there if people nowadays are able to pick it up... that is another story though.

Finally saw this yesterday and I thought it was awesome. Koba will go down, IMO, as one of the great movie villains of all time.

Incidentally- a bit of trivia- "Koba" was the name Joseph Stalin called himself during the early years of the Soviet revolution. The writers named this character with that in mind.
I would guess it was a tribute to KoKo, the gorilla who could communicate using sign language. When asked why gorillas die, Koko signed, “Trouble. Old.” And when asked where gorillas go when they die, she responded, “Comfortable hole. Bye.”

Also, Im a big fan of the original movies and I was thinking about the Statue of Liberty like someone else mentioned. Maybe the apes head east to avoid the humans, of maybe it is after the war. Also, when Charlton Heston lands back on earth it is how many years later? thousands.., I dont know. So who knows what happend with the weather, climate. etc.. Heston assumes "we blew it up" in a nuclear war, which might not be the case.

The original movie is one of my alltime favorites, but the fact that Heston didn't know it was Earth, and for that matter America, makes no sense. The apes speak English!

:yes:
I finally saw this yesterday and enjoyed it thoroughly. While Koba was a great villain, the two movies so far are really setting up Caesar as an all-time memorable character. In "Rise", the takeaway of Caesar was "Wow, what a great motion-capture performance by Andy Serkis! Caesar seemed so real!" After "Dawn", Caesar has distanced himself from Serkis. He's a character you buy into completely and not just as a technical achievement in movie making.

Any chance Serkis is nominated for any of the main awards? Just curious is any of them would recognize a CGI character even though he does most of the motions. He has made a name for himself that is for sure.

Any chance Serkis is nominated for any of the main awards? Just curious is any of them would recognize a CGI character even though he does most of the motions. He has made a name for himself that is for sure.
I remember the debate by the mainstream entertainment reviewers and critics on whether he was snubbed or not by the Academy and Golden Globes for his performance in "Rise". So at least he was in the conversation then.

pats3in4 said:
jdoggydogg said:
I finally saw this yesterday and enjoyed it thoroughly. While Koba was a great villain, the two movies so far are really setting up Caesar as an all-time memorable character. In "Rise", the takeaway of Caesar was "Wow, what a great motion-capture performance by Andy Serkis! Caesar seemed so real!" After "Dawn", Caesar has distanced himself from Serkis. He's a character you buy into completely and not just as a technical achievement in movie making.
Yes.

To me, the most amazing scene is:

...when Koba entertains the humans before shooting them. What a brilliant idea, and it's brilliantly executed. The audience when from chuckling to gasping in just a couple of seconds.

pats3in4 said:
jdoggydogg said:
Yes.

...when Koba entertains the humans before shooting them. What a brilliant idea, and it's brilliantly executed. The audience when from chuckling to gasping in just a couple of seconds.
One of the two humans in that scene was Jason Street's wheelchair buddy from Friday Night Lights. Always liked him.

pats3in4 said:
jdoggydogg said:
Yes.

This scene would have been awesome if not for the spoilers in the trailers. Since it was in the trailers the awe was taken away. Should have left it out of the trailers.

pats3in4 said:
jdoggydogg said:
Yes.

This scene would have been awesome if not for the spoilers in the trailers. Since it was in the trailers the awe was taken away. Should have left it out of the trailers.
:goodposting: One of those scenes that would have carried so much more weight and shock had they left it off the trailers.

pats3in4 said:
jdoggydogg said:
Yes.

:goodposting: One of those scenes that would have carried so much more weight and shock had they left it off the trailers.
I think I only saw the first trailer, and I don't believe that was ruined in the version I watched - thankfully.

:lmao:

Calm down your hyperbole

Koba was a 2 dimensional villain.

If they managed to get this movie into 2 parts and fleshed Koba out a bit more, it would have been more interesting.

I was fascinated by the dynamics within the apes and Koba in particular, but they went too quickly from Koba being aggrieved with Caesar to totally taking over and going straight into what was essentially a maniacal suicide mission

They needed to focus more on building a genuine antipathy between Koba and Caesar and make more of a moral dilemma for the Blue Eyes character. A lot of this part of the movie was too black and white, when there was a lot of grey to explore.

A great end would be to build the tension and have it end with Koba shooting Caesar and then carried on from there with more drama and less action in the finale.

Shame, I didn't see a thread for the new one but it is pretty good. One of the better trilogies in awhile. Hope they make more because they've done great stuff with these three. 

The new one for whatever reason just doesn't hook me in.  I'll still see it I'm sure.

And a point of clarification, has the human population been decimated by some kind of disease?  Otherwise the apes really wouldn't stand a chance in real life. 

Saw War last night, well worth a 94 on RT. Bad Ape & Woody Harrelson almost stole the movie. Good luck to whoever else thinks it's a good idea to re-boot that series.  

I very much liked War For The Planet Of The Apes.

The motion capture technology is awesome.

The movie is a mixture of Apocalypse Now, The Great Escape, and Shawshank.

Outstanding finale to one of the very best Sci-Fi/Action Trilogy's (series whatever) of all time.

Each film was unique and all three are excellent. 

The CGI on the new one was top notch and the acting as always top notch. I loved the little nod's to the Heston original Apes film (won't mention them here). I just wish it was not over. I would love some more movies in this series. Top notch Sci-Fi film making.

Oh did I say the word Top Notch enough?

Run to the theater and see this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot this was coming out. I love the series reboot but least excited about #3. But I'll still try to catch it this week.

Loved it and loved the connection to Heston's.I did not see that coming. So is that it or will they keep making these?

Loved it and loved the connection to Heston's.I did not see that coming. So is that it or will they keep making these?
I've read that was it................... for now :oldunsure:

They certainly left the door open to span from this to the orginal if they so choose.

Users who are viewing this thread