What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dear makers of Elf on a shelf (1 Viewer)

My son asked me if he was fake and if we move the elf every night  :(

I'm not ready for this. I did not tell him.

Last edited by a moderator:
My son asked me if he was fake and if we move the elf every night  :(

I'm not ready for this. I did not tell him.
Just tell him no, he really is a spy for Santa the reports everything bad your kid does directly to the big guy. Have to keep the spirit alive!

my lady and i do something like this now it is called where is the fn remote cripes it belongs on the table next to my chair and im getting a little tired of the tv being left on lifetime there is only so much a brohan can take take that to the bank bromigos 

My youngest is now aware of the real story with Santa and the elf now - she asked me a couple days ago if we could still put the elf out - I was like sure, but you get to be in charge of it.  I hated moving that damn thing around.
how old?

My kids are 10 and 12.  They are smart enough that I know the gig is up, but they are good enough sports that my wife wants to keep doing the elf.

I gave in last year. 

This year I told her Sparkle would burn like a Kaepernick jersey if I see her in my house ever again.

My kid is still hopelessly naive and is happy to see our elf appear and goes nuts looking for him daily. I was pretty sure this year was not going to happen, but if she is still game, we will keep it going.

Is it wrong that Im annoyed that my 6th grade daughter appears to still believe. If she doesnt, she is one hell of an actor. Was hoping she would know this year, tell my 9 year old and then be done with it. But nooooooo, she is still getting up early to find the stupid thing. 

Is it wrong that Im annoyed that my 6th grade daughter appears to still believe. If she doesnt, she is one hell of an actor. Was hoping she would know this year, tell my 9 year old and then be done with it. But nooooooo, she is still getting up early to find the stupid thing. 
My 6th grader is not admitting to knowing anything either.... I was kinda hoping that she would be responsible for hiding the elf for her little brother this year.    :shrug:  

ETA: 6th grader has no interest in looking for the elf save for spoiling it for her brother.  :hot:  

My kids are 10 and 12.  They are smart enough that I know the gig is up, but they are good enough sports that my wife wants to keep doing the elf.

I gave in last year. 

This year I told her Sparkle would burn like a Kaepernick jersey if I see her in my house ever again.

Edited 4 hours ago by matuski
i hope you periodically drop in and let your kids know that elf on a shelf is a nothingburger and fake news from the mainstream parents take that to the bank brohan

Both my 15 and 12 year old know I move it but my 12 year old kept asking when it was going to show up again so I put it out on black friday.  I hate it and almost always forget.

i hope you periodically drop in and let your kids know that elf on a shelf is a nothingburger and fake news from the mainstream parents take that to the bank brohan
nothingburgers are very real.  im not with the fake news crowd.

Kinda related.  My 3.5 year old granddaughter,  " Santa claus is not real. You get all those toys at the store. My mom and dad buy them.  Santa Claus is scary."   She totally melts down if there is any mention of seeing Santa.  

Kinda related.  My 3.5 year old granddaughter,  " Santa claus is not real. You get all those toys at the store. My mom and dad buy them.  Santa Claus is scary."   She totally melts down if there is any mention of seeing Santa.  
If I were 3.5 years old I'd be scared of that big freaky looking dude too.

My 5 year olds already started asking if Santa is real. I thought they'd be less cynical than that...

No freaking way we will to the elf thing.

My 5 year olds already started asking if Santa is real. I thought they'd be less cynical than that...

No freaking way we will to the elf thing.
Yeah, but the elf is sort of different.  It's an opportunity to do silly stuff with the elf and make your kids laugh.  It doesn't have to be some evidence of existence of santajesus.

Since Thanksgiving I have had a bad cold, and at least one of my kids has had a cold/cough.  I never took the Elf out to see what would happen.  The kids (10/8/5) have all decided that the Elf is either also sick, or waiting till no one in the house is sick.  We are just going along.  I figure once they are all over their colds I will break it out with a note saying "Sorry, I have been sick" or something.  

My wife bought a "Reindeer in Here."  Idea is for kids to bring it along with them, and the reindeer reports back to Santa.  No parental movements of it needed.  If it's a choice between the two, I'll take it over the elf thing.

Dad "Miz" didn't move again.

He must have really liked that spot.

Burnt some marshmellows and put toothpicks in them, and had him sit by a candle.  Next day - mini Hershey kisses, all over toilet paper, and he crapped everywhere.

Now I'll forget to move it.

Dad "Miz" didn't move again.

He must have really liked that spot.

Burnt some marshmellows and put toothpicks in them, and had him sit by a candle.  Next day - mini Hershey kisses, all over toilet paper, and he crapped everywhere.

Now I'll forget to move it.
Wait. What?

You got him taking a ####?

10 going on 11 on Christmas Eve and 6 year old girls both believe still though the older one has been questioning.

We don't have elf on a shelf but we have our own version. My wife didn't care for the commercial one so she created her own using a barbie (one of the disney fairies) and elf christmas clothes. She has visited 3-4 years now and the last two years has brought her little sister. Wife is in charge of moving her around at night but not only does that but leaves letters printed in tiny font. The kids write back to her daily.
So the older one who stopped believing before last Christmas (probably before but made it known then) has taken over the elf responsibility including the writing of daily letters responding to her younger sister. She went to write her first letter last night and I asked if she need to use our PC to use the already formatted font template we've used before. She said that mom told her to just use any small font. Sure enough this morning my younger one excitedly told.me the elves came and wrote to her. She then added, their handwriting changed though. 🤨

Veteran trick, for those that have 2 (or more kids/elves), that find it hard to think of new spots: have them just swap spots from the night before. Kids think it's hilarious and the elves are being funny. Pull this out 3 or 4 times in the month to save some time/effort.

Veteran trick, for those that have 2 (or more kids/elves), that find it hard to think of new spots: have them just swap spots from the night before. Kids think it's hilarious and the elves are being funny. Pull this out 3 or 4 times in the month to save some time/effort.
Wait what?  You have a dedicated elf for every kid?!?!  Hell no.  One elf per household should be law, and watches over the household. 

I used to complain about moving this thing for an entire month.  Waking up in the middle of the night because I forgot to move it before bed.

Now my little girl is all growns up and the day after Thanksgiving I get a Word doc sent to me with a list of things she wants us to buy for her.  I kind of miss the magic of Christmas now.

TheIronSheik said:
I used to complain about moving this thing for an entire month.  Waking up in the middle of the night because I forgot to move it before bed.

Now my little girl is all growns up and the day after Thanksgiving I get a Word doc sent to me with a list of things she wants us to buy for her.  I kind of miss the magic of Christmas now.
I used to enjoy it, but it has turned into a chore.  There is a lot of not so great things going on with our family this year and the wife is already stressed out.  This little fun thing, is now just an added layer.   We still love seeing our daughter's reaction, so it's not a total loss. 

We have never done this, but I found myself thinking about this during my run yesterday. Thought about how it could easily get old having to move it around. Then started getting all sorts of ideas about what I would do. Would be fun for a year I feel like. 

We have never done this, but I found myself thinking about this during my run yesterday. Thought about how it could easily get old having to move it around. Then started getting all sorts of ideas about what I would do. Would be fun for a year I feel like. 
As long as you don't get caught up in the "I'm going to be better than my Facebook friends", it's not a huge deal.  For the kid, it's all about the elf moving on its own.  One morning it's on the shelf, the next day it's on the table, the next it's on the tree.  People who go out of their way trying to create a fun spot are doing it for themselves.  And on the days you forget to move it, you just have to go, "Guess he liked that spot.  Maybe he saw you doing something from there and wanted to make sure."  Kids are dumb.  They'll believe anything you say.  

People who go out of their way trying to create a fun spot are doing it for themselves.
Sure, but there is nothing wrong with that. I mean if they are posting about it every day on social media, that's different. But what would be wrong with somebody doing this if they didn't brag about it?

this year my lady and i played a game called where are my gd keys it is a lot like elf a shelf except that instead of looking for an elf you spend half the damn morning tearing the house apart to find your keys which it ends up are in your ladys purse because she took the car out to the store last night even though she told you she already looked in there and why would they even be in there they are your keys its a real hoot take that to the bank brohans 

Sure, but there is nothing wrong with that. I mean if they are posting about it every day on social media, that's different. But what would be wrong with somebody doing this if they didn't brag about it?
Nothing.  That wasn't what I was trying to say, GB.  When I was on FB, I would see people posting the pictures everyday of where they were hiding it and the scenes they were creating.  And after about 3 weeks, the posts would be about how much they hated having to put so much effort into it.  My point was, they weren't putting effort into it for their kids.  They were doing it for their FB friends.  

You can be creative as you want if you enjoy that.  My point was you can be fairly simple, too, and the kids will still enjoy it.

Nothing.  That wasn't what I was trying to say, GB.  When I was on FB, I would see people posting the pictures everyday of where they were hiding it and the scenes they were creating.  And after about 3 weeks, the posts would be about how much they hated having to put so much effort into it.  My point was, they weren't putting effort into it for their kids.  They were doing it for their FB friends.  

You can be creative as you want if you enjoy that.  My point was you can be fairly simple, too, and the kids will still enjoy it.
I have visions of die hard with a vengeance and metal cable slivers. All for the kids of course.

if you want to get rid of the little thing just make him mess a bunch of stuff like fail to file reports or show up late for a couple days and then just make him be gone and tell the kids santa fired his you know what because he was a lazy sob most kids will understand and just chalk it up to the man keeping an elf down take that to the bank brohans 

"Why doesn't our elf do funny stuffy like Heather's?"

"I don't know, sweetie, maybe he realizes he just isn't that funny".
One of my friends is super-inventive with this crap and posts it on Facebook.  Makes me feel like a dolt for just throwing the damn elves on the Christmas tree or sitting on the couch reading a book.

One of my friends is super-inventive with this crap and posts it on Facebook.  Makes me feel like a dolt for just throwing the damn elves on the Christmas tree or sitting on the couch reading a book.
Guarantee you they just go to Reddit to steal ideas.   

Well, my 13 year old who never came out last year as a non believer, comes into my room at 10pm last night to remind us that the elf needs to come back.

I told her to come with me. I got the elf from the hiding spot and told her have fun, its her job to move it every night. she was psyched and I dont have to worry about it. 

My 11 year old was equally as excited when he spotted it last night. Asked if it just lived behind the mirror and comes out on Thanksgiving. i give him one more year, 2 max. 

My kids were talking for the last week about how around Thanksgiving the elf would come back.  Took the thing out last night, made a little face mask for it, took down a ghost that was still on our kitchen window and hung the elf in the same spot.  I left the ghost on the kitchen table figuring someone would notice it and look where it used to be.  It took until 2 this afternoon for my wife to find the elf.

Users who are viewing this thread