What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (2 Viewers)

Somehow picking up on Top Chef right now -- in the middle of it or towards the end -- seems like a violation of viewer/producer contract in the reality world. There's always a narrative arc to be had, and bless the people that comb through all of that footage to either reflect it or cut it from whole cloth.

I'm kidding, by the way. That sounded way too honestly serious for what I was going for.

If I go to Hell I am sure Jethro Tull will be played for eternity. Which is about three songs.
Whoever came up with the personalized version of hell has gotten a lot of mileage out of it.

Only inevitable that the modern self would turn towards a non-universal, very specific one.

Hell 2.1 - You thought we were done? 

Binky's Island List So Far

1.21  Binky the Doormat - The Beatles-Revolver

2.20  Binky the Doormat - Led Zeppelin-II

3.21  Binky the Doormat - Jethro Tull-Aqualung

4.20  Binky the Doormat- Yes -Yessongs

5.21  Binky the Doormat - Neil Young-After the Goldrush

6.20  Binky the Doormat - Elton John-Tumbleweed Connection

7.21  Binky the Doormat - Traffic-The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys

8.20  Binky the Doormat - Cream-Disraeli Gears

9.21  Binky the Doormat - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young-Deja Vu

10.20  Binky the Doormat - The Who-Live at Leeds

1121  Binky the Doormat - Genesis-Trick Of The Tail

12.20  Binky the Doormat - Todd Rundgren-A Wizard A True Star

13.21  Binky the Doormat - Rush-2112

14.20  Binky the Doormat - U2-All That You Can't Leave Behind

1521  Binky the Doormat - TheAllman Brothers Band-Eat A Peach

16.20  Binky the Doormat - Brian Eno-Here Come The Warm Jets

17.21  Binky the Doormat - Small Faces-There Are But Four Small Faces

18.20  Binky the Doormat - Fiona Apple-Tidal

19.21  Binky the Doormat - The Stranglers-No More Heroes

20.20  Binky the Doormat - Black Sabbath-Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

21.21  Binky the Doormat - Roxy Music-Avalon

22.20  Binky the Doormat - The Moody Blues-Days Of Future Past

23.21  Binky the Doormat - Squeeze-Argybargy

24.20  Binky the Doormat - Queens Of The Stone Age-Songs For The Deaf

24.16 - The Verve - Urban Hymns (1997)

I suspect this pick won't be lauded by the cool kids, but I'm still mining my late-90s The Chicago Era.  The first Mr. krista - whose music and voice were often compared to Jeff Buckley, I'll have you know - composed music like this that was lush, exquisitely orchestrated, multi-layered. He loved this record, so we had it on repeat.  We weren't into That Song Everyone Knows From An Ad, but instead played these two the most frequently.  I hope that wikkid won't find them single-groove.

Sonnet

The Drugs Don't Work
OK, lemme address this cuz now i'm alienating good people and discerning listeners needlessly.

This all started a year or two ago when i told @El Floppo that i could write an LCD Soundsystem album every month for the rest of my life. Floppy & i have known each other a long time, so he knows how to take what i say, but i actually meant & mean this. Their mail is more easily read than my nephew's homemade Christmas cards.

My feeling is that entertainment is whatever entertains but art, in music, is either a prayer, an argument with the gods or both. No one's strummy yearnings, derivative pushoffs or layered tracks gets to pretend they are any more than entertainment. And i rarely go for entertainment over art. I want to be challenged, inspired not comforted or enabled. If your song does not have real shape - meter, intricacy, rhymes schemes, bridges, callbacks, - it better be incredibly fresh, incredibly touching, or incredibly groovy or i'm calling it out for the copout it is, which is what i've done while commenting on the shuffles. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proofs and there are few claims more extraordinary than that your song will pass my smell test. G'ahead, enjoy, but you're gonna hear what i think.

Single-groove, which i initially used to refer to EDM's tendency to decorate a rhythmic loop without structural variance, is the modern equivalent of strummy, which i been fighting since before punk democratized music-making. In my own song-writing, even arranging, i've sacrificed up to 8 or 9 grooves or distinct song ideas to get a properly integrated, cogent shape, with each hopefully referencing and supporting and applying pressure upon each other, to make a song. And i'm an ol' man in a basement aint nobody gonna hear. The people i worked with and for backinaday did similarly, or else they didnt get published. As a result, I resent 9 ideas becoming 9 songs.. LCD Soundsystem's year's work is less musically complex and compelling than a 45-second Todd Rundgren rant, and he's 75 years old. I don't want you not to enjoy them, merely not insist that i should.

I know The Verve, krista. Their stuff is sincere, inviting, careful. A bridge here and there wouldnt hurt, but i enjoyed those two offerings. Their biggest hit is a single groove, but it's a great sample/hook and it works. TRex is single-groove, i love every one. Prince used to work a lot of single grooves - a reason i dont have most Prince albums, much as i love him - Radiohead has no problem working variations on one groove. They got to be exceptional to make it work. It happens they are. Anyone ain't i'm calling em out. Ask me why, i'll try to tell. Give me the OK Boomer - ima part your neural pathways with the singlest grooves i got. I hope that sheds some light.

24.16 - The Verve - Urban Hymns (1997)

I suspect this pick won't be lauded by the cool kids, but I'm still mining my late-90s The Chicago Era.  The first Mr. krista - whose music and voice were often compared to Jeff Buckley, I'll have you know - composed music like this that was lush, exquisitely orchestrated, multi-layered. He loved this record, so we had it on repeat.  We weren't into That Song Everyone Knows From An Ad, but instead played these two the most frequently.  I hope that wikkid won't find them single-groove.

Sonnet

The Drugs Don't Work
Btw, meant the bold seriously.  wikkid, I'm hoping you might find something to like in these.
To make sure @wikkidpissah saw this.  I couldn't tag you at the time because of the board issues.

Glad to read your response on the original post.

I'm listening to another right now that I think you'll find something to love in.  Probably won't pick it for a while, though.

To make sure @wikkidpissah saw this.  I couldn't tag you at the time because of the board issues.

Glad to read your response on the original post.

I'm listening to another right now that I think you'll find something to love in.  Probably won't pick it for a while, though.
I had caught that and thought the original spirit in which it was intended might suffice. It apparently did. 

But enough of me getting in the middle. You learn something new every day. I always knew that there was a fine line between democratization of music and its inherent quality, but never looked in the, um, grooves. 

And I'll reiterate re lcd Soundsystem...this kind of music is like men's shirts. All basically the same ####- torso, sleeves, collars, buttons. But like the music, not all men's shirts are the same. And from an artistic standpoint, there are lot of people out there cranking out stuff of zero impact with very few that get it right from an object and subjective level.

The getting right isn't because the structure needs to change, it's because the details throughout are done right and well. I've heard a lot of wannabe lcd Soundsystems the last 15 years and I have no doubt wikkid could crank out some passable stuff better than most of what gets made...but I also have next to no doubt that the details wouldn't make it transcend the way these outfits that are so loved, like LCD, do.

25.16  The Fall - The Wonderful and Frightening World of the Fall (1984)

If my math is correct the Fall released 37 albums.  Obviously some misses but this album doesn't. This is my favorite. 

C.R.E.E.P.

2 x 4
Oh damn. I thought briefly about them but lacked the time and patience to sift through the albums to remember which ones I loved. Lots of songs jump to mind, but not albums. This one though...damn- yeah.

I had caught that and thought the original spirit in which it was intended might suffice. It apparently did. 

But enough of me getting in the middle. You learn something new every day. I always knew that there was a fine line between democratization of music and its inherent quality, but never looked in the, um, grooves. 
I think it did, but wanted to make sure.

I'm in the camp of loving discovery of something new, of any sort, with an open mind.  I know wikkid is, too - always looking for something intriguing and worthy.  (Not that, obviously, The Verve is new.)  We all have different frameworks in which we're listening, though, that makes our "ears" different.

OK, lemme address this cuz now i'm alienating good people and discerning listeners needlessly.

This all started a year or two ago when i told @El Floppo that i could write an LCD Soundsystem album every month for the rest of my life. Floppy & i have known each other a long time, so he knows how to take what i say, but i actually meant & mean this. Their mail is more easily read than my nephew's homemade Christmas cards.

My feeling is that entertainment is whatever entertains but art, in music, is either a prayer, an argument with the gods or both. No one's strummy yearnings, derivative pushoffs or layered tracks gets to pretend they are any more than entertainment. And i rarely go for entertainment over art. I want to be challenged, inspired not comforted or enabled. If your song does not have real shape - meter, intricacy, rhymes schemes, bridges, callbacks, - it better be incredibly fresh, incredibly touching, or incredibly groovy or i'm calling it out for the copout it is, which is what i've done while commenting on the shuffles. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proofs and there are few claims more extraordinary than that your song will pass my smell test. G'ahead, enjoy, but you're gonna hear what i think.

Single-groove, which i initially used to refer to EDM's tendency to decorate a rhythmic loop without structural variance, is the modern equivalent of strummy, which i been fighting since before punk democratized music-making. In my own song-writing, even arranging, i've sacrificed up to 8 or 9 grooves or distinct song ideas to get a properly integrated, cogent shape, with each hopefully referencing and supporting and applying pressure upon each other, to make a song. And i'm an ol' man in a basement aint nobody gonna hear. The people i worked with and for backinaday did similarly, or else they didnt get published. As a result, I resent 9 ideas becoming 9 songs.. LCD Soundsystem's year's work is less musically complex and compelling than a 45-second Todd Rundgren rant, and he's 75 years old. I don't want you not to enjoy them, merely not insist that i should.

I know The Verve, krista. Their stuff is sincere, inviting, careful. A bridge here and there wouldnt hurt, but i enjoyed those two offerings. Their biggest hit is a single groove, but it's a great sample/hook and it works. TRex is single-groove, i love every one. Prince used to work a lot of single grooves - a reason i dont have most Prince albums, much as i love him - Radiohead has no problem working variations on one groove. They got to be exceptional to make it work. It happens they are. Anyone ain't i'm calling em out. Ask me why, i'll try to tell. Give me the OK Boomer - ima part your neural pathways with the singlest grooves i got. I hope that sheds some light.
Man... now I am curious if any of my chosen songs have been reviewed by wikkid. I hope the search function works well.

Edit: Nope... :kicksrock:

Last edited by a moderator:
Man... now I am curious if any of my chosen songs have been reviewed by wikkid. I hope the search function works well.
They're not really reviews, my friend. I listen to ten songs and say the most piquant thing about them i can think of in reaction, like everybody else. It's an impatient format, done only to entertain, but it's apparently put some folks off

I'm listening to a lot of stuff tonight from The Chicago Era, and it reminds me of pizza. 

Wait, let me explain.  Mr. krista grew up with this horrible non-pizza thing in the OH/PA/WV area where they just cook the crust and sauce, and then when it comes out of the oven they throw a bunch of provolone and the toppings on it.  Awful, right?  But it's what he grew up with and he loves it. Similarly, there is a pizza called "Pizza King" or "Arni's" that I grew up with (I think @shuke might have it by him, too?), which I recognize objectively is not a good pizza, but I grew up with it and love it.

Similarly, anything I listened to in that 1996-2001ish time of my life is pretty much going to be beloved by me, because that's when I musically grew up (along with my senior year of college).  I'm not saying any of this is awful like that pizza is, but I know I'm going to appreciate it more than anyone else.  

Which is also why there's probably no additional records from that time period that I'll be sniping from anyone else.  The stuff I'm taking will be mostly highly personal to me.

They're not really reviews, my friend. I listen to ten songs and say the most piquant thing about them i can think of in reaction, like everybody else. It's an impatient format, done only to entertain, but it's apparently put some folks off
I think it's great. Whatever you say about my music can't be any worse than what my wife says about it because this site censors the most colorful language.

Wait, let me explain.  Mr. krista grew up with this horrible non-pizza thing in the OH/PA/WV area where they just cook the crust and sauce, and then when it comes out of the oven they throw a bunch of provolone and the toppings on it.  Awful, right?  But it's what he grew up with and he loves it. Similarly, there is a pizza called "Pizza King" or "Arni's" that I grew up with (I think @shuke might have it by him, too?), which I recognize objectively is not a good pizza, but I grew up with it and love it.
Are you talking about Cassano's Pizza King?

Cassano's sign

Our regional pizza is a thin crust, but not cracker-type like St. Louis style ...and they definitely don't just cook the crust and sauce then put the ingredient on it. 

Users who are viewing this thread