What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (1 Viewer)

2.14  Substance 1987  -  New Order

A collection of the band's first six singles and B-sides released in 1987 on two LPs or one CD.  It's since been superseded by Best Of New Order in 1994, Retro in 2002, Singles in 2005 and Total in 2011 but Substance is still the best way to experience New Order's transition from moody Manc post-punks to mooder Manc dance floor sensations.

There are a bunch of fan playlists on Spotify that attempt to recreate the substance of Substance but not all the extended mixes that comprised the original are available for streaming.  But if the winds are right, you'll be able to hear it blaring from my island as I dance naked to Blue Monday at sunrise.

Temptation

Thieves Like Us
reaction
#### it, I'm just going to draft Spotify.

/fin

Only fifteen picks away now!  

I have a suggestion.  Not to be an ### but maybe post the pick, and then post the writeup AFTER you post the pick.  I suspect it will keep things moving.  It's not like I have anything else to do but I do think that it will increase the fun factor and get some flow.  Thanks

I have a suggestion.  Not to be an ### but maybe post the pick, and then post the writeup AFTER you post the pick.  I suspect it will keep things moving.  It's not like I have anything else to do but I do think that it will increase the fun factor and get some flow.  Thanks
I think that would not work so well.  Not sure I can articulate why, though.

That’s like Chris Berman announcing the picks before the commish goes to the podium. 

The user name in italics is like the big graphic stating “The Pick is In”.  The suspense is the juice. 

:thumbup: :thumbup:  to both the New Order and Joy Division picks, obviously. Both test the resolve of people looking to avoid compilations, since some of their best stuff is only available on those (well, barring the individual singles and such). The 12" version of Temptation is worth the New Order pick by itself.  :wub:

Think I missed out on Unknown Pleasures by leaving it to round two in one of my earliest drafts here too. :lmao:  But my profile pic aside, I'm cool with the snipe. Knew the odds. Would've put New Dawn Fades on the playlist, though.

That’s like Chris Berman announcing the picks before the commish goes to the podium. 

The user name in italics is like the big graphic stating “The Pick is In”.  The suspense is the juice. 
Except they pick every ten minutes or whatever. We have 35 teams here that pick like every hour. 

I'm pretty sure the suspense ship has sailed. 

Last edited by a moderator:
:thumbup: :thumbup:  to both the New Order and Joy Division picks, obviously. Both test the resolve of people looking to avoid compilations, since some of their best stuff is only available on those (well, barring the individual singles and such). The 12" version of Temptation is worth the New Order pick by itself.  :wub:

Think I missed out on Unknown Pleasures by leaving it to round two in one of my earliest drafts here too. :lmao:  But my profile pic aside, I'm cool with the snipe. Knew the odds. Would've put New Dawn Fades on the playlist, though.
it's an awfully big tent, killed me to only use two - "Disorder" with my morning coffee and first smoke of the day just may be the greatest known pleasure i get all to my lonesome. 

2.16: Van Halen, Van Halen

(link to full album)

1. "Runnin' with the Devil"
2. "Eruption" / 3. "You Really Got Me"
4. "Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love"
5. "I'm the One"
6. "Jamie's Cryin'"
7. "Atomic Punk"
8. "Feel Your Love Tonight"
9. "Little Dreamer"
10. "Ice Cream Man"
11. "On Fire"

Spotify selections bolded -- I'm taking the liberty of treating tracks 2 and 3 as one.

No grand write-up now ... except to say this is another "carry me back" time-and-place album for me. That's going to be a recurring theme, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Except they pick every ten minutes or whatever. We have 35 teams here that pick like every hour. 

I'm pretty sure the suspense ship has sailed. 
I’m just talking about the time it takes to do the write up, not the time it takes to wait for the spouses to stop fornicating. 

I need to get some ISLAND on my island. This is another stacked album that plays like a greatest hits. Yo Mama selects:

2.18 - Bob Marley & the Wailers - Exodus

1 - Natural Mystic

2 - So Much Things to Say

3 - Guiltiness

4 - The Heathen

5 - Exodus

6 - Jamming

7 - Waiting in Vain

8 - Turn Your Lights Down Low

9 - Three Little Birds

10 - One Love / People Get Ready

11 - Roots (b-side added to deluxe edition)

For my song picks, I’m going to stick with my theme of one deeper cut and my favorite from the album (although in this case Jamming is technically my favorite, but Waiting is a close 1B and fits better for the stranded in an island theme)

Natural Mystic

Waiting in Vain

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures

Iconic

got my two favorite albums here with me now. 

we good  :thumbup:

POST PUNK ALERT

they didn't necessarily invent it, but, man ... they are the Godfathers of it, and influencers of so much more that followed in their massive wake. 

centerpiece is Ian Curtis, and his remarkable pain, isolation, anger, confusion ... an emotiinal awkwardness that belies the power and visceral gut punches his lyrics deliver. 

set against the sparse and minimalist accompaniment of the band that would later become New Order ... with Hookie and Summer and Morris working their spatial, yet economic, wonder. 

Martin Hannet's production cannot go without mentioning ... the Salford lads came into the studio as psuedo punk acolytes, but left as Post Punk legends thanks to Hannet's brilliant work behind the glass ... a George Martin-esque labor of brilliance and trail blazing vision. 

it's dark and claustrophobic and haunting and downright chilling at times - i'd say "atmospheric", but i hope i conveyed that already. 

it's an album that grabs and never lets go ... Curtis was such a relentlessly quizzical and lost soul - this debut, which first introduced us to this incomparable genius, is as fresh and urgent to me now as it was upon it's first spin.

Disorder

Shadowplay
You son of beach.

Abrantes knows it was LCD or this for me. 

I need to get some ISLAND on my island. This is another stacked album that plays like a greatest hits. Yo Mama selects:

2.18 - Bob Marley & the Wailers - Exodus

1 - Natural Mystic

2 - So Much Things to Say

3 - Guiltiness

4 - The Heathen

5 - Exodus

6 - Jamming

7 - Waiting in Vain

8 - Turn Your Lights Down Low

9 - Three Little Birds

10 - One Love / People Get Ready

11 - Roots (b-side added to deluxe edition)

For my song picks, I’m going to stick with my theme of one deeper cut and my favorite from the album (although in this case Jamming is technically my favorite, but Waiting is a close 1B and fits better for the stranded in an island theme)

Natural Mystic

Waiting in Vain
Thank you! For not taking the freshman dorm standard issued comp instead.

1.20: Silk Degrees, Boz Scaggs

(full album link minus "Harbor Lights")

1. "What Can I Say"
2. "Georgia"
3. "Jump Street"
4. "What Do You Want the Girl to Do"
5. "Harbor Lights"
6. "Lowdown"
7. "It's Over"
8. "Love Me Tomorrow"
9. "Lido Shuffle"
10. "We're All Alone"

Spotify picks bolded and linked

This one is reminiscent of two separate times and places which I would want to be able to relive (at least for a little while) at the touch of a button. Scaggs' songs were kind of a familiar and formative sonic backdrop to my little-kid self. Later, as a teen and an adult, I came to appreciate these songs on entirely different levels -- both technically and emotionally.

Side 1 (tracks 1-5) would be the "deep cuts" on Silk Degrees. Scaggs and his not-to-be spotlighted backing players lay down the brisk piano riffs and funk undercurrents right from the opening of "What Can I Say" The albums builds you up with the energetic "Jump Street" and "What Do You Want the Girl to Do" before laying you down easy with the mellow and transfixing "Harbor Lights".

The album has a kind of symmetry -- Side 2 has the same build-up and ease-down of Side 1. Side 2 was the side that got the most interest from contemporary DJs, both in the clubs ("Lowdown") and over the airwaves ("Lido Shuffle", "It's Over", and "Lowdown" again). And then he closes out with "We're All Alone", just a showstopper of a song -- Boz lays his soul completely bare over a beautiful piano accompaniment.

@Binky The Doormat
Was just reviewing the spreadsheet and I love this pick. I needed this, as my current playlist vortex is starting to weigh me down like a lead balloon.

I’ve been enjoying the master playlist so far, but I plan on using my 2 selections per album to make my own playlist of 40 songs. I’ve missed out on a few of my favorite all time albums but my playlist is pretty chill so far. 

Yo Mama’s Island

Red Hill Mining Town

... will forever be a staple in any of my playlists - as pretentious a #### as he can be, Bono's still the purveyor of some hymn like forays that few can match ... Red Hill pulls at me, every damn time. 

defies any mere words i can use. 

(link to full album)

5. "I'm the One"
6. "Jamie's Cryin'"
7. "Atomic Punk"
9. "Little Dreamer"
10. "Ice Cream Man"
11. "On Fire"

Spotify selections bolded -- I'm taking the liberty of treating tracks 2 and 3 as one.

No grand write-up now ... except to say this is another "carry me back" time-and-place album for me. That's going to be a recurring theme, I think.
Such a good album that doesn’t get the attention it deserves these days.   Eddie tears #### up on this one.  I would have gone with two other songs but Eruption is masterful.  

(link to full album)

5. "I'm the One"
6. "Jamie's Cryin'"
7. "Atomic Punk"
9. "Little Dreamer"
10. "Ice Cream Man"
11. "On Fire"

Another swipe. As always, have to keep a close eye on Doug. 

Let's some traction on this. Would love to peanut gallery this draft live.  I might have to repurpose the Forever stamp covering my web cam. Disclaimer: I'll look pretty ridiculous with my headset on (built-in microphone no worky).
We do not even own a web cam.  On purpose.

Really liked his collaboration with Susanna Hoffs doing a bunch of classic rock covers.

And his cover of the Scooby-Doo theme song.
I'd forgotten that!  They did "And Your Bird Can Sing."  I haven't a good reason that I've avoided him through the years, but seeing how many people in this thread love the record, I'm putting it at the top of my to-do list.

Users who are viewing this thread