What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (4 Viewers)

I know, right? I mean, I think there is 1 Beatles song that I really like and it's a cover. The Beach Boys are what I imagine being pumped into my pink padded cell while I am trying to escape my straitjacket. Drafters taking Beatles/Beach Boys comps in the 1st round is equivalent to drafting 1st round kickers in my fantasy leagues. For strategic purposes, if I am drafting at the end of the draft round you *don't* need to reach for a Beatles/Beach Boys album with the thought I might snipe them - they'll still be there when your pick is up again.

I know, right? I mean, I think there is 1 Beatles song that I really like and it's a cover. The Beach Boys are what I imagine being pumped into my pink padded cell while I am trying to escape my straitjacket. Drafters taking Beatles/Beach Boys comps in the 1st round is equivalent to drafting 1st round kickers in my fantasy leagues. For strategic purposes, if I am drafting at the end of the draft round you *don't* need to reach for a Beatles/Beach Boys album with the thought I might snipe them - they'll still be there when your pick is up again.
That is the beauty of having 20+ drafters, there will be a huge variety of styles and genres. Some will be rushing to horde the Beatles, others like you might be looking to double down on Limp Bizkit albums early. We just never know how it will play out. 

I don’t think it’s too late - you’d make 26. At some point I think there needs to be a cutoff or rounds will take five days but I guess it’s hard to slam the door on anyone. Anyway that’s all up to @Northern Voice not me.
Especially since I pretty much won the Mother of All Dessert Island drafts AND the making the band draft.  I'm really excited for the banter and reminiscing FIFTEEN YEARS LATER.  For some side Irony I just started Arrested Development for the first time, and now its back on again.  

IMO, compilations should be disallowed whether or not there is some previously unreleased acoustic track, recorded in the garage, with Billy Ray Cyrus backup vocals on the album. Though, I don't like the Beatles and I hate the Beach Boys - so maybe it is better for me to want compilations in so everyone else can waste picks on those irritating bands. 

Live albums should be allowed, whether greatest hits or not, as live sound is often much different than studio sound.

Soundtracks should only be allowed if the majority is original music for that movie or TV show. In other words, the Inception soundtrack should be allowed while a Forrest Gump soundtrack should not. Something like American Gigolo *might* be allowed (I know Blondie's Call Me was written for that movie but I am not sure about the other songs).
This is basically where I stand too and my intentions with the rules but I'm not going to enforce strictly what anyone wants to pick.

I don’t think it’s too late - you’d make 26. At some point I think there needs to be a cutoff or rounds will take five days but I guess it’s hard to slam the door on anyone. Anyway that’s all up to @Northern Voice not me.
Especially since I pretty much won the Mother of All Dessert Island drafts AND the making the band draft.  I'm really excited for the banter and reminiscing FIFTEEN YEARS LATER.  For some side Irony I just started Arrested Development for the first time, and now its back on again.  
The MOADID was really fun too. 2007, so something to look forward to in 2022.

This is basically where I stand too and my intentions with the rules but I'm not going to enforce strictly what anyone wants to pick.
That said, there are some compilations that aren't quite greatest hits and aren't quite all previously unreleased, like the one @simey referenced, so again, take them if you think they fit in the spirit of the draft, each case is difference. It's really the greatest hits albums, the greatest hits soundtracks and the greatest hits compilations that I don't think fit. A collection of b-sides, music newly composed for a soundtrack, they're all different.

Like the old days, if someone can text me when I'm needed that would be pretty great.  Dice roll? 

I'm IN if there aren't too many already.  It looks like a lot of participants so far, so if you need to cut me I understand and I'll just follow.

Northern Voice said:
That said, there are some compilations that aren't quite greatest hits and aren't quite all previously unreleased, like the one @simey referenced, so again, take them if you think they fit in the spirit of the draft, each case is difference. It's really the greatest hits albums, the greatest hits soundtracks and the greatest hits compilations that I don't think fit. A collection of b-sides, music newly composed for a soundtrack, they're all different.
Yarrrgh, I'm hoisting the Jolly Roger over me island.

My brother-in-law went there his first few years (but transferred).
I had a great time there. Everyone else in my family (except mom) went to NC State. My oldest nephew is a junior at NC State, but he is living at home right now due to C19, although he is still paying for his apartment in Raleigh. Who knows what his senior year will be like in the fall. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Spreadsheethttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VaIRMXFWu5sQ71cKTBtKZ-ubp57VCq-x6Z1bSfLu-Xo/edit#gid=500233826

Participants

• Northern Voice
  • timschochet
  • Charlie Steiner
  • simey
  • El Floppo
  • otb lifer
  • Nigel Tufnel
  • The Dreaded Marco
  • Eephus
  • Ilov80s
  • Steve Tasker
  • mphtrilogy
  • Doug B
  • Mr. Ected
  • cosjobs
  • rcam
  • Chaos Commish
  • Mrs Rannous
  • Krista4
  • Dr Octopus
  • wikkidpissah
  • JZilla
  • Karma Police
  • landrys hat
  • Abrantes
  • wazoo11
  • PIK95
  • Hov34
  • Uruk-Hai
  • zamboni

PIK95 said:
Dice roll? 
I think with this many people, individual dice rolls would be mayhem. I'll probably randomize the names in excel and get someone else to PM the numbers 1-29 or whatever it is in random order and do it that way. We can do that this afternoon and then latecomers welcome - with people on the turns given the option to keep or give up the turn. 

I had a great time there. Everyone else in my family (except mom) went to NC State. My oldest nephew is a junior at NC State, but he is living at home right now due to C19, although he is still paying for his apartment in Raleigh. Who knows what his senior year will be like in the fall. 
Yeah, I feel for everyone obviously, but I do particularly feel bad for college kids (my son just finished his sophomore year). They only get one opportunity in life to be away at college before becoming working slugs, and they're missing a lot already.

I

I think with this many people, individual dice rolls would be mayhem. I'll probably randomize the names in excel and get someone else to PM the numbers 1-29 or whatever it is in random order and do it that way. We can do that this afternoon and then latecomers welcome - with people on the turns given the option to keep or give up the turn. 
Think you missed me, NV. Or maybe that was by design. :unsure:

So 30 people now. There were 16 last time but also 15 years of new music, so I'm not really worried. I'll wait for any latecomers, see if @Binky The Doormat wants to reconsider and jump back in and then we can set the order this afternoon so we're ready to go Monday AM.

While we wait for Monday, I'm doing a Zoom trivia night Saturday night with friends. Anyone have any good (but fairly broad) trivia questions?  I'm stealing a bunch from this "Art" in Music quiz https://www.sporcle.com/games/spanachan/artists-with-art because I think they'll be fun (I got 14/19 on my first run) but with the wealth of knowledge in here, maybe people have good ones?
17/19 for me. Missed Martina and EWF, alas.

My friends are trivia nerds and throw some questions at me every now and then, but not sure what difficulty level you're aiming for. Earlier today they gave me these:

-Only actor who's in the two highest-grossing movies of all time (Zoe Saldana)
-Only actor who's in both movies holding the record for most Academy Awards* (Bernard Hill, who plays Theoden in "Return of the King" and the captain of the Titanic)

*Actually flawed 'cause the record's shared by three films, but third one's significantly older.

Edit: Added the answers.

While we wait for Monday, I'm doing a Zoom trivia night Saturday night with friends. Anyone have any good (but fairly broad) trivia questions?  I'm stealing a bunch from this "Art" in Music quiz https://www.sporcle.com/games/spanachan/artists-with-art because I think they'll be fun (I got 14/19 on my first run) but with the wealth of knowledge in here, maybe people have good ones?
Random trivia:
Name 1 of the 3 movies to win the Big 5 Oscars for Picture, Director, Actor, Actress and Screenplay

As of 2015, what is the most downloaded and played song of the 1960s?

On 5/7/2020 at 11:35 AM, Northern Voice said:
Spreadsheethttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VaIRMXFWu5sQ71cKTBtKZ-ubp57VCq-x6Z1bSfLu-Xo/edit#gid=500233826

Participants

• Northern Voice
  • timschochet
  • Charlie Steiner
  • simey
  • El Floppo
  • otb lifer
  • Nigel Tufnel
  • The Dreaded Marco
  • Eephus
  • Ilov80s
  • Steve Tasker
  • mphtrilogy
  • Doug B
  • Mr. Ected
  • cosjobs
  • rcam
  • Chaos Commish
  • Mrs Rannous
  • Krista4
  • Dr Octopus
  • wikkidpissah
  • JZilla
  • Karma Police
  • landrys hat
  • Abrantes
  • wazoo11
  • PIK95
  • Hov34
  • Uruk-Hai
  • zamboni
I think you're more than covered so I'll watch from a distance. :popcorn:

Random movie trivia:
Name 1 of the 3 movies to win the Big 5 Oscars for Picture, Director, Actor, Actress and Screenplay

i know for damn sure one of them is ... 

one flew East

one flew West ...

... One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

no clue on the other 2 at all. 

i know for damn sure one of them is ... 

one flew East

one flew West ...

... One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

no clue on the other 2 at all. 
I’ll leave it open if anyone can name the other 2. One isn’t too hard, the other is quite old. 

Ilov80s said:
That is the beauty of having 20+ drafters, there will be a huge variety of styles and genres. Some will be rushing to horde the Beatles, others like you might be looking to double down on Limp Bizkit albums early. We just never know how it will play out. 
If you like rap or metal you will probably just about get anything you want.  

If you like rap or metal you will probably just about get anything you want.  
I’m mostly drafting outside of the main flow so I feel fine. I have a ton of jazz, classical and rap that I don’t expect to be to high on most people’s lists based on the drafts I’ve done. I will try to be a bit combative though early for the fun of it.

Random trivia:

Terms of Endearment was suxor but might be one. :I see it's not the answer:

Happy Birthday?  Yesterday?

Users who are viewing this thread