What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Devante Parker Dynasty is over (Stills resigned) (1 Viewer)

Moved him for 2.1/brate, could have had 1.06 but didn't know it at the time:( still happy with the value. I don't see a step forward, gase called him out again already, and hes the 3rd option at best in a low volume passing attack. He dominated in college because of his athleticism, it sounds like he doesn't want to put in the effort needed in the NFL and is constantly missing time. 

People think a lot more of Julius Thomas here than in the Julius Thomas thread, apparently. 

I think it's pretty simple with Parker. If he gets it, Stills and Thomas won't keep him from targets. If he doesn't, they were gonna bring someone else in anyway. I think he's on the right track, and Gase's comments just sound like a coach coaching, but he is entering a critical season. That said, his value shouldn't have changed at all whether Stills stayed or left, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
People think a lot more of Julius Thomas here than in the Julius Thomas thread, apparently. 

I think it's pretty simple with Parker. If he gets it, Stills and Thomas won't keep him from targets. If he doesn't, they were gonna bring someone else in anyway. I think he's on the right track, and Gase's comments just sound like a coach coaching, but he is entering a critical season. That said, his value shouldn't have changed at all whether Stills stayed or left, IMO.
I agree his value didn't change, but I think what most of us owners were holding out for was that it would when Still left.  Then when Still re-signed, we all realized we were still stuck in the mud.  Myself, I'm hoping something, anything happens to pump up his value.  I'll take any decent exit price at this point, I'm ready to move on.

I agree his value didn't change, but I think what most of us owners were holding out for was that it would when Still left.  Then when Still re-signed, we all realized we were still stuck in the mud.  Myself, I'm hoping something, anything happens to pump up his value.  I'll take any decent exit price at this point, I'm ready to move on.
Exactly. Before Stills resigned, he was still being valued very highly in the dynasty community.

Exactly. Before Stills resigned, he was still being valued very highly in the dynasty community.
Was it? Honest question, I never saw any evidence of it. I figured with Gase flat out saying they would bring someone in to replace Stills if he left, Stills leaving wouldn't have made Parker any more desirable.

Also, are people really suggesting Parker is getting traded this offseason? Because Gase said he needs to keep doing what he was doing at the end of last season? 

Was it? Honest question, I never saw any evidence of it. I figured with Gase flat out saying they would bring someone in to replace Stills if he left, Stills leaving wouldn't have made Parker any more desirable.

Also, are people really suggesting Parker is getting traded this offseason? Because Gase said he needs to keep doing what he was doing at the end of last season? 
But "bringing someone else in" can mean a lot of things.  If they got Britt at the same contract Stills got, sure there might be concern.  But if that someone is Wheaton or Kendall Wright not so much.  That (along with letting Stills go) would have indicated a higher degree of confidence in Parker and a chance for a larger piece of the passing game pie.  Parker only got 87 targets last year, and caught a very respectable 56 of them for 65% reception rate.  That's very good.  Still had nearly as many targets - 81 - but caught just 42 of them for 52%.  If they continue a 50/50 split, then even if the offense grows (it almost has to, they were 31st in pass attempts last year) it's going to cap Parker's ceiling.  Parker needs to see the offense grow AND get a larger portion of it.  That's a lot less likely with Stills returning.

I don't see anyone that has suggested Parker being traded to another NFL team.  I think all such comment has been on trading him in FF.

What would the price be in a rookie pick this year?

But "bringing someone else in" can mean a lot of things.  If they got Britt at the same contract Stills got, sure there might be concern.  But if that someone is Wheaton or Kendall Wright not so much.  That (along with letting Stills go) would have indicated a higher degree of confidence in Parker and a chance for a larger piece of the passing game pie.  Parker only got 87 targets last year, and caught a very respectable 56 of them for 65% reception rate.  That's very good.  Still had nearly as many targets - 81 - but caught just 42 of them for 52%.  If they continue a 50/50 split, then even if the offense grows (it almost has to, they were 31st in pass attempts last year) it's going to cap Parker's ceiling.  Parker needs to see the offense grow AND get a larger portion of it.  That's a lot less likely with Stills returning.

I don't see anyone that has suggested Parker being traded to another NFL team.  I think all such comment has been on trading him in FF.
I agree with everything you said, but to be fair, the targets were not the same. Stills averaged 17.3 YPR (726 yards) and scored 9 TDs from his 81 targets, whereas Parker was only at 13.3 YPR (744 yards) with 4 TDs on his 87 targets. 

Depends on league settings.  All I have are rankings at this point, I haven't adjusted for NFL draft results or league settings.  I'm guessing it comes out to anything top 20ish in an IDP TE premium league, top 15ish if not TE premium.

Like I said earlier, I just moved him for 2.01/brate and was pleased, and an owner that I converse with was bummed he missed out. I haven't traded with him so I was kicking around what I would have offered and he said he would have done 1.06+

I agree with everything you said, but to be fair, the targets were not the same. Stills averaged 17.3 YPR (726 yards) and scored 9 TDs from his 81 targets, whereas Parker was only at 13.3 YPR (744 yards) with 4 TDs on his 87 targets. 
I know you don't get points for near misses, but Parker had several TDs that were barely ruled incomplete for not getting both feet down.  Tannehill clearly looks for him in the red zone.  Just some context from watching the games.

I know you don't get points for near misses, but Parker had several TDs that were barely ruled incomplete for not getting both feet down.  Tannehill clearly looks for him in the red zone.  Just some context from watching the games.
I think he means that since a lot of them were deep shots it's less fair to compare catch %, especially since Tannehill isn't know for good deep accuracy.  It's a fair point, but the delta between them is more cavernous than the increased difficulty.  Give Parker all those targets and he finishes the year at 60% and 1650 yards.

I think he means that since a lot of them were deep shots it's less fair to compare catch %, especially since Tannehill isn't know for good deep accuracy.  It's a fair point, but the delta between them is more cavernous than the increased difficulty.  Give Parker all those targets and he finishes the year at 60% and 1650 yards.
Actually, in the past 3 years, only Watkins has caught 60% or more of his targets and averaged over 17 YPR (and caught 40+ passes). In 2015, Robinson was at 53% and last year DeSean Jackson was at 56% to give a couple examples. So Stills' numbers are not out of line. Sorting by 13ypr<x<14ypr and at least 50 rec, Parker (64%) is pretty close to the median (62%) over the past 3 years. I doubt Parker ever commands 169 targets in a season nor approaches 1650 yards. I honestly think he's only about 50/50 to ever reach 1000 yards in just one season. 

FBG data is a little sketchy... they list 10 targets inside the 20 in his splits, but their red zone target summary only lists 9. Either way, he does get more targets there than Stills (6 is listed in his splits and 7 in the RZ summary). Jordan Cameron is vacating 14 RZ targets. Landry got a whopping 23 last year, resulting in a stunning 3 TDs.

Actually, in the past 3 years, only Watkins has caught 60% or more of his targets and averaged over 17 YPR (and caught 40+ passes). In 2015, Robinson was at 53% and last year DeSean Jackson was at 56% to give a couple examples. So Stills' numbers are not out of line. Sorting by 13ypr<x<14ypr and at least 50 rec, Parker (64%) is pretty close to the median (62%) over the past 3 years. I doubt Parker ever commands 169 targets in a season nor approaches 1650 yards. I honestly think he's only about 50/50 to ever reach 1000 yards in just one season. 

FBG data is a little sketchy... they list 10 targets inside the 20 in his splits, but their red zone target summary only lists 9. Either way, he does get more targets there than Stills (6 is listed in his splits and 7 in the RZ summary). Jordan Cameron is vacating 14 RZ targets. Landry got a whopping 23 last year, resulting in a stunning 3 TDs.
I didn't claim Parker would to that.  I suggested he'd be at 60% of the entire 168 targets - which comes out to 101 catches and would be 45 catches on those 81 targets - a 55% catch rate.  Stills numbers may not be out of line but they aren't special either.   In the last three years, 11 players have averaged better than 51.9% catch rates while averaging at least 17.00 YPC - including Devante Parker himself in 2015 with 52% for 19.0 YPC.  I must say I'm surprised at how much lower % those longer receptions are, but Stills still doesn't bring anything that Parker doesn't.  edit: Just noticed you used 40 catches minimum, I used 20.  Even with that 5 other guys outperformed Stills over the last 3 years alone.

Parker was 14 out of 43 in catch % among WR over the last three years using your stats - that works as very good for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hankmoody said:
I didn't claim Parker would to that.  I suggested he'd be at 60% of the entire 168 targets - which comes out to 101 catches and would be 45 catches on those 81 targets - a 55% catch rate.  Stills numbers may not be out of line but they aren't special either.   In the last three years, 11 players have averaged better than 51.9% catch rates while averaging at least 17.00 YPC - including Devante Parker himself in 2015 with 52% for 19.0 YPC.  I must say I'm surprised at how much lower % those longer receptions are, but Stills still doesn't bring anything that Parker doesn't.  edit: Just noticed you used 40 catches minimum, I used 20.  Even with that 5 other guys outperformed Stills over the last 3 years alone.

Parker was 14 out of 43 in catch % among WR over the last three years using your stats - that works as very good for me.
Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying Stills is special. I think both Stills and Parker are fairly unremarkable NFL WRs likely to be role players rather than stars. I expect them to continue to split targets pretty equally.

I was only delving into catch % because some apples were being compared to oranges (guy with 17.3 ypr vs 13.3 ypr) but keep in mind that catch % is not a comprehensive stat. There are a lot of factors that go into that equation. And he might be 14 out of 43 in that random group, but even there he's very near the median % so I wouldn't use that to justify hope of a 3rd year breakout for him.

Users who are viewing this thread