What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dez Bryant to New Orleans - What are you expecting? (1 Viewer)

In 9 games the 2nd best WR on the Saints has 12 catches. Basically nobody standing in front of him for playing time.

Bust? Jury is out

League Winner? Jury is out

Worth the gamble? Absolutely. If he's a bust you simply drop him. If he's a league winner you don't get a 2nd shot to grab him.
:goodposting:

I'd say this pretty much covers it.

Sure--Dez has regressed some with age--but his last couple of seasons--he also had to deal with a very bad Dak Prescott.  I think Dak's regression made Dez look worse than he actually was.   Brees  throws a better and more accurate ball than Dak.  This will help make up for some the reduced separation that Dez will probably get at his advanced football age. 
Dak didn't play well last season, but Dez dropped a lot of catchable balls.

Dak didn't play well last season, but Dez dropped a lot of catchable balls.
Really, I think it's Dak is now increasingly bit overrated. Plus Cowboy's offense isn't help since it's very vanilla and lacks imaginative play-calling.  They simply dont adjust throughout the game.  The best example is last Monday game vs. Titans when they abandoned in rushing toward end of the game (Zeke was off to great start then somehow they stopped feeding him).  It seems clear that Dak cannot take over the game when everything falls apart. 

Since this topic pertains to Dez's addition in Saints, Payton and Brees will utilize him effectively regardless how small his role is. 

Can anyone remember an instance  when an unsigned, off the street free agent stepped in after missing half the season and made any sort of fantasy impact? I am asking because I can’t think of any. 
Dez had opportunities to sign.  The worked him out in NO before signing him.  Apparently, in shape.  All he wants to do is score in Dallas. I know which week I am playing him....

ETA Yes, I picked him up where ever I could. Low risk.high ceiling play. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Dez is not role player kinda teammate.....he wants to be the lead dog....he'll act like he's good with being a role player,  but if he's not getting fed consistently, he will start Squawkin

Dez is not role player kinda teammate.....he wants to be the lead dog....he'll act like he's good with being a role player,  but if he's not getting fed consistently, he will start Squawkin
Lots of squawkers have landed in New England over the years... amazing how winning and (realistic) Super Bowl aspirations take care of that other stuff.

This will prove to be situation-dependent, I would bet. A newcomer can’t credibly squawk at Drew Brees or Sean Payton ... same as Tom Brady or Belichick. If Dez tried that, he’d be summarily cut, with not even a ripple of locker room discord.

Run a leaderless locker room where the HC is not the last word? Yeah, personalities like Bryant’s are harder to absorb.

This is not an accurate assessment of Cooks IMO.  NO & NE both needed a "physical WR" to win the jump balls and be a dominant presence in the middle.  Cooks is not that skill set...  That is more AJ Green & Julio at the upper end or more like Steve Smith was in CAR/BALT.  Dallas QB Prescott is not an ideal QB unless the WR excels at separation.  Dez may have lost a step and does not get the same level of separation, but Brees >> Prescott at ball placement and reads.  

The physical skill set NOS needs for WR2 might be something Dez can provide... (even though I don't like him there)...but Cooks today >> Dez today.  
All accurate - especially the part about De not getting separation.

Brees could be Montana, Young, CPep & uh, Brees all combined into mecha-Brees, and it still won’t make a difference for ball placement if Dez can’t win the 50-50 balls.

and it’s been at least two years since that’s been the case. 

That said, with so many other weapons in NO, it’s certainly possibly that Dez finds himself 1 on 1 with a LB or S across the middle, or otherwise wide open.

He’ll likely be a 5th option behind Thomas, Kamara, Hill/Watson & Smith - that certainly wasn’t the case in DAL where he was the WR1 option with a whole lot of nuthin around him. 

So in that light I concede that he may well be a quality PPR dink & dunk option who’s open enough that all he has to do is not drop the ball. 

I’m assuming he’s stayed in shape as well, which is likely a good assumption. He’s never been a slacker to my knowledge. 

FF playoff schedule:

Week 14 = TB

Week 15 = CAR

Week 16 = PIT

Dez will be well integrated into the NO offense by then and each one of those games has the potential to be a major shootout...Top 5-15 rush defenses to potentially limit Ingram/Kamara combined with middling talent at CB.

I'm buying.

Roto reporting that the Saints are asking him to lose at least 5 pounds and he will not play this week.  Sounds like he is a tad out os shape.  I would lower my expectations on him.

Roto reporting that the Saints are asking him to lose at least 5 pounds and he will not play this week.  Sounds like he is a tad out os shape.  I would lower my expectations on him.
I think we all knew he probably wouldn't play this week.

And I could #### out 5 lbs in a couple hours if I had to. ?

Uh oh. Dez goes down in his 2nd practice as a Saint....they believe he may have suffered a torn Achilles. He's getting an MRI right now but it looks like he may be gone for the season before he could even play one game with New Orleans.

Source: NFL Network

wow, that freaking blows. Achilles at that age, when he has already lost a step, is rough. Saints hurting at WR now.

Not a star, but maybe Kamar Aiken can do a little something. He tried out with the Saints this past Monday, too.

anyone know his contract status? 

does he get paid?

turning down BAL's $7mm per year multi-year contract in the offseason now seems crazy. 

I could be wrong, but I don't think any of that BALT 7MIL was guaranteed.
I believe it wasn't an issue of being guaranteed, but BAL had to offer a multi-year to get under the cap. 

He would have been guaranteed a chunk.

Dez rejected it because he wanted a one-year "prove it" type deal so he could sign a long term contract after the 2018 season. 

All seems a bit delusional at 30 years old. 

do we need a 3rd Dez thread to report this same info?

(so, Joe Bryant, I don't agree with your idea of having more, specific threads on the same player. duplicates the same info and dilutes the conversation)

I'm not alone, I just don't understand the move. They don't seem to have a "need" unless there is something going on we don't know. I hope he fails miserably and they cut him after 1 week :)
Sorry Dez, I swear I don't use Voodoo Dolls or anything 

Users who are viewing this thread