What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DI Jukebox Draft (66-15)- Listen up (3 Viewers)

For Yes - I put Fragile, Close to the Edge, and Relayer on my Spotify queue last night.  Will be interested to see what AA and others suggest for listening though.  
Well, you're off to a really good start.  :thumbup:   Relayer is an interesting choice only because it's far less well known than other Yes records (particularly Fragile and CTTE) so we'll have to discuss that. 

Please do PM me if I don't post something about Genesis and then Yes here in the next week or so to remind me to do so.  My week coming up is one of those where I can't tell if it will be tight or not.   :ptts:   

Threw together a quick 20 song mix of Calvin Russell on the off chance anyone is interested. He and Hugh Dillon rank side by side at the top of my rankings of great artists I love that nobody has ever heard.
I listened to some of this last night, and I like it a lot. Thanks for introducing him.

Well, you're off to a really good start.  :thumbup:   Relayer is an interesting choice only because it's far less well known than other Yes records (particularly Fragile and CTTE) so we'll have to discuss that. 

Please do PM me if I don't post something about Genesis and then Yes here in the next week or so to remind me to do so.  My week coming up is one of those where I can't tell if it will be tight or not.   :ptts:   
I just google searched best Yes albums and that was one that kept getting mentioned at the top of lists. 

Man, Eephus' mix was some groovy, funky ### ####.  The first list that I added all new songs, mostly because the mix isn't in my usual wheelhouse.  As much as I did love the mix, it did also feature two of my least favorite songs, which surprised me.  Those got skipped.  Will also say that I was listening to most of the mix this morning while playing with my 1 year old daughter, and she was bouncing and shaking her ### to just about every song, so it gets the Freya seal of approval as well.  What I took (I broke my rule and took 8):

Outa-Space, Dontcha, Things are Getting Better, Can't Feel My Face, Do You Know What I Mean, Kick Push, Reasons, For Days

All new, all loved, all listened to multiple times today. 

Next up, I am giving Uruk's a listen....

Looks like I have 10 more of the posted lists to go through unless I missed somebody.  Thanks again for putting this together, Eephus.

Man, Eephus' mix was some groovy, funky ### ####.  The first list that I added all new songs, mostly because the mix isn't in my usual wheelhouse.  As much as I did love the mix, it did also feature two of my least favorite songs, which surprised me.  Those got skipped.  Will also say that I was listening to most of the mix this morning while playing with my 1 year old daughter, and she was bouncing and shaking her ### to just about every song, so it gets the Freya seal of approval as well.  What I took (I broke my rule and took 8):

Outa-Space, Dontcha, Things are Getting Better, Can't Feel My Face, Do You Know What I Mean, Kick Push, Reasons, For Days

All new, all loved, all listened to multiple times today. 

Next up, I am giving Uruk's a listen....
Thanks to you and Freya for listening and shaking that ###.

Let me guess, your two unfavorite songs were the New Radicals song and "Mama Do the Hump"

Looks like I have 10 more of the posted lists to go through unless I missed somebody.  Thanks again for putting this together, Eephus.
Thanks for listening and commenting on my list as well KP. 

I still plan to listen to all the posted lists but it's going to take some time---busy season for me at work right now.

I've never claimed any prog cred on this board but I used to listen to lots of Yes and Genesis in the late 70s.  I even had a Roger Dean poster of the Relayer album cover on my bedroom wall during high school :bag:

My musical journey took me a long ways from there but I've returned to prog and fusion a bit in my old age.  Surprisingly, the Yes album that I like the best nowadays is Going For the One, which I hated when it first came out.  Even with White instead of Bruford, it rocks harder that anything in their catalog.  Squire in particular is excellent on this album.  Howe has an inimitable, albeit repetitious style.  Wakeman's wankery is far superior to Moraz' and different from Kaye's.  Anderson warbles his usual nonsense but it isn't Yes without it.

Close to the Edge holds up pretty well too.  I can go the rest of my days without hearing Relayer again but it sure was a cool album cover.

During college when I was living back home, I basically lived with my music in my room when I wasn't out running or working.  Yessongs (yeah, a collection) was in a regular rotation.  My poor parents - I liked art and they let me paint this scene on one entire wall of my bedroom.  I didn't have an artist spray brush so I had to use Krylon quick-dry spray can to recreate the graduated black mist at the top.  

Result:  Even though I had a cloth on my face there was black spray paint on my face, up in my nostrils, and finely dried black powder all over the carpet, on the furniture, bedding, inside the closet on clothes, and inside shoe boxes inside the closet.  They were a lot better about it than I would be with my kids.  :bag:

I have some instamatic polaroids stuffed somewhere of the painting in some box in the attic.  Gotta dig them out soon.

yessongs_arrival.jpg

During college when I was living back home, I basically lived with my music in my room when I wasn't out running or working.  Yessongs (yeah, a collection) was in a regular rotation.  My poor parents - I liked art and they let me paint this scene on one entire wall of my bedroom.  I didn't have an artist spray brush so I had to use Krylon quick-dry spray can to recreate the graduated black mist at the top.  

Result:  Even though I had a cloth on my face there was black spray paint on my face, up in my nostrils, and finely dried black powder all over the carpet, on the furniture, bedding, inside the closet on clothes, and inside shoe boxes inside the closet.  They were a lot better about it than I would be with my kids.  :bag:

I have some instamatic polaroids stuffed somewhere of the painting in some box in the attic.  Gotta dig them out soon.

yessongs_arrival.jpg
A guy in high school used to paint Yes album covers on the back of denim jackets. I thought he was Michelangelo.

yessongs_arrival.jpg
I love that picture.  Your parents were pretty cool.  (And there were far worse things you could have wanted to paint.)

I've never claimed any prog cred on this board but I used to listen to lots of Yes and Genesis in the late 70s.  I even had a Roger Dean poster of the Relayer album cover on my bedroom wall during high school :bag:

My musical journey took me a long ways from there but I've returned to prog and fusion a bit in my old age.  Surprisingly, the Yes album that I like the best nowadays is Going For the One, which I hated when it first came out.  Even with White instead of Bruford, it rocks harder that anything in their catalog.  Squire in particular is excellent on this album.  Howe has an inimitable, albeit repetitious style.  Wakeman's wankery is far superior to Moraz' and different from Kaye's.  Anderson warbles his usual nonsense but it isn't Yes without it.

Close to the Edge holds up pretty well too.  I can go the rest of my days without hearing Relayer again but it sure was a cool album cover.

Awesome, eephus.  :)    "Wankery" and "warbling" - :lol:    Roger (Dean) that.  Now, what's really interesting about your post is that I have never heard/seen anyone say/type that Howe is repetitious, and I've seen and heard a *lot* of Yes commentary over the years.  Not saying that I disagree, but that is a sentiment that I have never encountered before, anywhere.  Thought-provoking.  :thumbup:    

GFTO is one of my favorites. 

yessongs_arrival.jpg

This is awesome, Binky. 

(And BTW they still haven't disabled inline images yet?  And the board hasn't destroyed itself as a result? :shock:   ;) )      

Awesome, eephus.  :)    "Wankery" and "warbling" - :lol:    Roger (Dean) that.  Now, what's really interesting about your post is that I have never heard/seen anyone say/type that Howe is repetitious, and I've seen and heard a *lot* of Yes commentary over the years.  Not saying that I disagree, but that is a sentiment that I have never encountered before, anywhere.  Thought-provoking.  :thumbup:    

GFTO is one of my favorites. 
Repetitious was the wrong word.  Howe's style is distinctive and immediately identifiable.  Nobody really sounds like him although I don't listen to much in the way of modern prog.  But I think he has a tendency to noodle and his solos sound similar to me.  Obviously, when he's playing acoustic or pedal steel, there's a different sound.  I'm not a guitarist though and have zero credibility on the subject.

I listened to Wakeman's Journey to the Centre of the Earth last night for the first time in years.  Wankery was the right word but it's still a fun listen for me.

Thanks to you and Freya for listening and shaking that ###.

Let me guess, your two unfavorite songs were the New Radicals song and "Mama Do the Hump"
Nah, didn't mind that song. 

Can't stand Red Red Wine.  That's OK.  Had more than enough good stuff on here of offset those picks. ;)

Yikes - page 14 bump and update:

Listened to Uruk's mix.  As expected, it was a little more twang than I usually like, but still a lot of good stuff besides that.  I even ended up taking one of the songs I didn't expect to like.  Here is what I put on my mix:

Booty City, Women Without Whiskey, South Side, Drift Away, Sloop John B, Rumpofsteelskin, (She's) Sexy + 17

Booty City is one of my favorite new songs that I was introduced to in this draft!  Women Without Whiskey is the one that I didn't expect to like.  The Parliament song is another that I hadn't heard - I guess I listen to the other band all the time or something.  Also didn't recognize the Stray Cats song.  I am sure that I have only heard 1 maybe two songs of theirs.  Sloop is about the only Beach Boys song that I can tolerate, but love it.  Similar with South Side - don't really like Moby a ton anymore, but dig that song. 

Already about 1/3 of the way through Fiddles' mix....

Yikes - page 14 bump and update:

Listened to Uruk's mix.  As expected, it was a little more twang than I usually like, but still a lot of good stuff besides that.  I even ended up taking one of the songs I didn't expect to like.  Here is what I put on my mix:

Booty City, Women Without Whiskey, South Side, Drift Away, Sloop John B, Rumpofsteelskin, (She's) Sexy + 17

Booty City is one of my favorite new songs that I was introduced to in this draft!  Women Without Whiskey is the one that I didn't expect to like.  The Parliament song is another that I hadn't heard - I guess I listen to the other band all the time or something.  Also didn't recognize the Stray Cats song.  I am sure that I have only heard 1 maybe two songs of theirs.  Sloop is about the only Beach Boys song that I can tolerate, but love it.  Similar with South Side - don't really like Moby a ton anymore, but dig that song. 

Already about 1/3 of the way through Fiddles' mix....
If you're interested in entries to 70s funk, hit me up. There's a funk thread here, but it dives deep really quickly. 

I had a lot of twang because I was modeling my draft after jukes I heard IRL and, where I grew up, there was a bunch of it. I tried to stay true to my juke experiences - if not by the exact song, then by feel. I don't hang in bars much anymore so the more recent songs I picked were those I'd imagine there if I still was. The 60s/70s/80s stuff (less country) is, ironically, closer to my wheelhouse.

I'm not much of a Moby fan, either, but I love the groove of that song. I think Stefani's vocal helps. If he had used someone grittier or a rapper, I don't think it would have worked as well. 

Reminder to AA that he hasn't posted his Genesis and Yes rant/primer

I was burning out a tad on the mixes, so I did start listening to some albums that were discussed in here that I have 0 exposure to.  We were talking LCD Soundsystem, Yes, and Genesis. 

LCD Soundsystem - I briefly listened to a couple songs (don't remember what they were), but nothing grabbed me right away.  Then I was at the library and they had the bluray of Shut Up and Play the Hits, so I checked that out.  Loved it.  I think it had a similar effect that seeing Radiohead live did for their more electronic stuff.  For whatever reason one person dicking around on a computer usually doesn't catch me, but when I can see a whole group putting the same music together it grabs me more.  Also paid more attention to the lyrics - usually I don't love electronic music as much because the lyrics are non-existent or very repetitive.  That wasn't the case for most of the songs here it seemed.  Long story short, I started new to old - have played the hell out of This is Happening (especially Dance Yrself Clean) and now moved on to Sound of Silver.  While they won't become an alltime fav, I am digging it quite a bit now. 

Genesis -  Since it seemed like we drafted most of Abacab and I liked the songs, I started there.  Really liked it.  I think somebody posted that it was a good blend of old prog and new pop Genesis.  Probably a good starting point for me.  Then I looked at "best of" lists and decided to start a little earlier and listened to Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot, and loved both of those as well.  Next up onto the 2-3 that I see mentioned as their best albums. 

Yes -  This one might take a little more.  Love the sound, but still not 100% on board here.  I started with Close to the Edge and followed with Fragile.  Right away my defenses were up, since I usually reject prog stuff when it becomes too much about noodling around.  Not giving up and will listen to a couple more albums.  I liked it, just not as much as the other 2 bands in this post. 

If you're interested in entries to 70s funk, hit me up. There's a funk thread here, but it dives deep really quickly. 

I had a lot of twang because I was modeling my draft after jukes I heard IRL and, where I grew up, there was a bunch of it. I tried to stay true to my juke experiences - if not by the exact song, then by feel. I don't hang in bars much anymore so the more recent songs I picked were those I'd imagine there if I still was. The 60s/70s/80s stuff (less country) is, ironically, closer to my wheelhouse.

I'm not much of a Moby fan, either, but I love the groove of that song. I think Stefani's vocal helps. If he had used someone grittier or a rapper, I don't think it would have worked as well. 
I am up for any and all albums that you think I should dive into.  I will try to search for this funk thread you speak of as well. 

Album recommendations for KarmaPolice:

1. Kiko and the Lavender Moon by Los Lobos ... Stick with it if at first you don't like it. Plays like a soundtrack to an extended dream. Track one missing on youtube, so best to check it out on Spotify.
  2. Hollywood Dream by Thunderclap Newman ... If I could only take one album to Mars, this would be the one. Hoping that you don't recognize the band name and are surprised when you get to the monster one-hit wonder song at the very end.
  3. Red Octopus by Jefferson Starship - almost perfect
  4. Forever Changes by Love - Runner up for one album to take to Mars
  5. Bare Trees by Fleetwood Mac
  6. Elephant Mountain by The Youngbloods
ETA: Just now playing the youtube Kiko and the Lavender Moon quilt-like link. Tracks 3 and 5 are stupendous. And track 4, holy ####!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am up for any and all albums that you think I should dive into.  I will try to search for this funk thread you speak of as well. 
My apologies, KP. I searched for Magaw's funk thread, but the ability to find it was beyond my capabilities. If someone smarter than I am (i.e. everyone) wants to post it, many thanks. In the meantime.......

If you like "Rumpofsteelskin", I'd play around with a few of these:

Flashlight

Aqua Boogie

One Nation Under A Groove

Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On

Bootzilla

Munchies For Your Love

Started listening to Eephus's mix. It's a little difficult -- as I sort of knew -- to listen to Spotify mixes without Premium. I already have Rhapsody, and they do better with punk (generally) so I stick with them. I have to listen on shuffle and can't fast forward songs I already know that I've sort of killed listening to so much. We'll test and see what they do with Red Dons singles. I get the feeling they're more willing to affiliate with major labels (and rip off minor ones) than the other ones, but somebody could help me out with this.  

But I loved Little Jackie's "28 Butts" and Rizzle Kings "Mama Do The Hump" so far. Pharcyde (Soul Flower was sort of killed as that's one of my favorite hip hop albums ever) and Archie Bell and The Drells are no-brainers. Nice mix so far. I also love Lupe coming on right now. And now The Roots. 

Just want to bump this back to the first page. I enjoyed this draft, and learned a lot about cataloging and how important it is to file music, keep it on spreadsheets, etc. I've listened to so much and forgotten so much that nearly any article jogs my memory. 

I'll update when I'm done. Maybe a day or two.  

eta* BTW, I started listening to Ramsey's, and Spotify linked me over to Eephus's 1986 Jump Tope Tournament of Champions, which was a great theme. I couldn't hear any of the songs but Liz Phair. 

When they do the double dutch/that's the way they do it. 

A la. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I need some homegrowns on my jukebox...

19 - Shame - The Avett Brothers (2007)

This if for you SWC, and all the sailors who may wonder on the island and in my bar...

19 - Brandy (You're a Fine Girl) - Looking Glass (1972)
looking back at the draft a couple years after it was done commentators agreed that brandy at 19 was the steal of the draft and wondered how so many teams passed it bam take that to the bank bromigos 

I was driving around today and a song came on, I think it was 'Down at McDonnelzzz' and it's kind of all over the place and I got thinking that maybe an "elements of rock and roll" type draft would be cool. 

My thinking is you draft songs (not instrumental solos or anything, the whole song, it can't be a great solo surrounded by a bunch of crap - sorry Grateful Dead) for a certain element of it. Categories could be things like drums, bass, elec guitar, acoustic guitar, trumpet, sax, harmonica, piano/keys, accordian, synthesizer, banjo?, choir, falsetto, vocal performance, flute, autotune, samples, speak-singing, whatever we want the categories to be... we can work it out.

Anyway, I'm basically just typing this out now, I assume it's not a good time for drafts if people still do fantasy football drafts, plus I have a couple busy work weeks coming, but throwing this out there and thinking maybe start it around the beginning of September, if there's interest.

I'm not sure there's a band more frustrating for putting out letdown albums with all the potential in the world than Interpol.  How are they not a giant massive crossover mainstream rock act like, say, Silversun Pickups?  Antics and Turn on the Bright Lights are so good.  

I think the answer we all want to know, though, is how are things on the west coast?
I know there was a lot of bad songs in the meantime, but from their most recent, any of "Anywhere", "Everything Is Wrong" and "All the Rage Back Home" could have been huge. Yeah, I'm 6 months late responding to this.

I was driving around today and a song came on, I think it was 'Down at McDonnelzzz' and it's kind of all over the place and I got thinking that maybe an "elements of rock and roll" type draft would be cool. 

My thinking is you draft songs (not instrumental solos or anything, the whole song, it can't be a great solo surrounded by a bunch of crap - sorry Grateful Dead) for a certain element of it. Categories could be things like drums, bass, elec guitar, acoustic guitar, trumpet, sax, harmonica, piano/keys, accordian, synthesizer, banjo?, choir, falsetto, vocal performance, flute, autotune, samples, speak-singing, whatever we want the categories to be... we can work it out.

Anyway, I'm basically just typing this out now, I assume it's not a good time for drafts if people still do fantasy football drafts, plus I have a couple busy work weeks coming, but throwing this out there and thinking maybe start it around the beginning of September, if there's interest.
ooh.. german waltz element

I need some homegrowns on my jukebox...

19 - Shame - The Avett Brothers (2007)

This if for you SWC, and all the sailors who may wonder on the island and in my bar...

19 - Brandy (You're a Fine Girl) - Looking Glass (1972)
looking back at the draft a couple years after it was done commentators agreed that brandy at 19 was the steal of the draft and wondered how so many teams passed it bam take that to the bank bromigos 
with one season under its belt it is clear that the best player of this draft came in the 19 round it was clear at the start of the season that looking glass felt slighted called undersized and with criticisms that they did not have enough chest hair and had only had one good college hit many said they could not do it but its clear now folks that it was like drafting michael jordan in the 19 round and simey is cleaning up because of it take that to the layin whiskey down bank bromigo 

Great thread.  There is a JJ Grey song I keep trying to get to but I can't find it.  That's what brought me here.  It's kind of a love song.  Anybody got a guess???  I miffed.

Users who are viewing this thread