What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney Vacation (6 Viewers)

Is the wilderness lodge the one right next to Animal Kingdom?

I have stayed at All Star Sports (twice) and Caribbean Beach. I did not like the Caribbean at all. I enjoyed the all star. Nothing fancy, gives you a bed and a pool. Dont spend too much time at hotel anyway but always looking for alternatives

Is the wilderness lodge the one right next to Animal Kingdom?I have stayed at All Star Sports (twice) and Caribbean Beach. I did not like the Caribbean at all. I enjoyed the all star. Nothing fancy, gives you a bed and a pool. Dont spend too much time at hotel anyway but always looking for alternatives
No, that's the AK lodge. All Stars is the best for price value, but the buses are always packed. I'd almost perfer to just stay off grounds then. You can find a cheaper price and can still get a shuttle to the parks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the wilderness lodge the one right next to Animal Kingdom?I have stayed at All Star Sports (twice) and Caribbean Beach. I did not like the Caribbean at all. I enjoyed the all star. Nothing fancy, gives you a bed and a pool. Dont spend too much time at hotel anyway but always looking for alternatives
No, that's the AK lodge. All Stars is the best for price value, but the buses are always packed. I'd almost perfer to just stay off grounds then. You can find a cheaper price and can still get a shuttle to the parks.
We stayed off park this past July (never going in Summer ever again). It was OK. I like staying on the park grounds. Makes shopping easy, can get the meal plan. The busses can be a pain, especially now that I have a second kid and one of those stupid big Cadillac strollers. Thanks

We stayed off park this past July (never going in Summer ever again). It was OK. I like staying on the park grounds. Makes shopping easy, can get the meal plan. The busses can be a pain, especially now that I have a second kid and one of those stupid big Cadillac strollers. Thanks
Yeah, but that is if you are going on the cheap. If you go all out with the meal plan and on grounds I rather just pony up more for the next tier up resorts. I avoid the summer like the plague. Although going at this time is summer for a lot of people from countries in the South. It would not surprise me that >50% of the people in the parks can not speak English during the winter.ETA: I'm sure it's been said somewhere in the thread, but I'll reiterate. At the outlet mall there is a Disney outlet with great prices on Disney stuff. Sometimes you need to get there at the right time, but it's worth the stop if you like shopping for Disney stuff.

At 28 pages, this thread isn't remotely overwhelming. I've just started, and I think I'm in over my head here. Can I just print Yankee's posts from like 4 years ago and stop reading?

Yeah, but that is if you are going on the cheap. If you go all out with the meal plan and on grounds I rather just pony up more for the next tier up resorts. I avoid the summer like the plague. Although going at this time is summer for a lot of people from countries in the South. It would not surprise me that >50% of the people in the parks can not speak English during the winter.ETA: I'm sure it's been said somewhere in the thread, but I'll reiterate. At the outlet mall there is a Disney outlet with great prices on Disney stuff. Sometimes you need to get there at the right time, but it's worth the stop if you like shopping for Disney stuff.
I guess that is what I was originally asking. Which hotels one step up from value are good? Like I said, I stayed at Caribbean and did not like it at all. I am looking for easy access to parks more then anything else. I will wait to spend the big money on places like the Animal Kingdom lodge and the ones with the monorail when my kids are a little older

At 28 pages, this thread isn't remotely overwhelming. I've just started, and I think I'm in over my head here. Can I just print Yankee's posts from like 4 years ago and stop reading?
Most people have been doing is posting questions and Yankee among others help out the best we can.

I guess that is what I was originally asking. Which hotels one step up from value are good? Like I said, I stayed at Caribbean and did not like it at all. I am looking for easy access to parks more then anything else. I will wait to spend the big money on places like the Animal Kingdom lodge and the ones with the monorail when my kids are a little older
You'll have to just get an idea for the prices since they all are different. Just above the value resorts I find that Port Orleans is better than Cornado and Caribbean. Swan and Dolphin are very nice. Maybe a bit more than Port Orleans, but they are not Disney owned, so they don't have the Disney theme. However, they are on the Boardwalk which is my favorite place to be at night while mostly everyone else goes to Downtown Disney. You can still get the meal plan at the Swan and Dolphin, but the resort resrurants are not on the meal plan. But like I said it's basically on the boardwalk and walking distance/boat ride to Epcot and Studios.

Most people have been doing is posting questions and Yankee among others help out the best we can.
Probably going in early December this year, but I've seen the insanity that is this thread. Frankly, I just don't want to be responsible for ####ing something up and I'll be happy.

Probably going in early December this year, but I've seen the insanity that is this thread. Frankly, I just don't want to be responsible for ####ing something up and I'll be happy.
Start planning early. On grounds? What resort (opinions on what you are looking for)? Meal plan? Figure out location and choice of meal plan or not soon will give you plenty of time to find out where you would like to eat, and will allow you to make reservations to make sure you get to go where you want at the time you want to eat. We can certainly give you options and our favorites or best bang for the buck if you do not want to do the meal plan.

Start planning early. On grounds? What resort (opinions on what you are looking for)? Meal plan? Figure out location and choice of meal plan or not soon will give you plenty of time to find out where you would like to eat, and will allow you to make reservations to make sure you get to go where you want at the time you want to eat. We can certainly give you options and our favorites or best bang for the buck if you do not want to do the meal plan.
Place to stay is likely first on the agenda. Probably going to be the wife, kid, and in-laws. I'm back and forth between the convenience of being on grounds and the, um, other benefits of doing something like a townhouse... with (I'm assuming) more space between the rooms and whatnot.

AT this time next Tuesday I'll be just about through China on the eat around the world tour of World Showcase as we make our way to dinner at Mexico; thereafter finding a spot to park it for the fireworks and taking a nice stroll back over to France for some pastry for the family. Of course, I'm not able to eat as much as I once was, but no matter. Enjoyment will be had.
If you don't hit the fireworks locations early, go to the corner at 10 or 11 o'clock if you enter from the rest of the park at 6, past Norway. They have added a new "country" there and I am blanking on what it is. We got there shortly before the fireworks and were able to find chairs. :shrug:
There aren't any new countries. It's been the same 11 for awhile - Britian, Canada, France, Morroco, Germany, Italy, America, Japan, Norway, China, Mexico
Effin elitists. I was looking forward to the Baghdad Experience.

lol Bob. After a full day at Disney, you will be too tired for the sexy time.

And by "you" I mean "your wife". :shrug:

Place to stay is likely first on the agenda. Probably going to be the wife, kid, and in-laws. I'm back and forth between the convenience of being on grounds and the, um, other benefits of doing something like a townhouse... with (I'm assuming) more space between the rooms and whatnot.
Please go see a doctor. I'm really concerned about you.

December?!? I'm going in a little over a month and haven't even thought about a game plan. I guess I should be getting nervous.We do have a place to stay, though, so at least that's taken care of.

lol Bob. After a full day at Disney, you will be too tired for the sexy time. And by "you" I mean "your wife". :goodposting:
Why do you think I'm planning to take the in-laws? Money well spent if it buys me an evening or two. And by "an evening", I mean "at least 95 seconds".

:bag: :goodposting: We visited Polynesian and The Grand Floridian this past December just to get a feel if we'd like one of those over Wilderness if we go back again.. and the resounding answer was NO!! We absolutely :wub: Wilderness Lodge and if we go back will definitely be staying there again.. HAVE FUN!!!
The Wilderness is great but don't sell the Poynesian short. It has a great pool, nice beach and is the only resort that has access to both the MK and EPCOT monorail lines. For quick access to MK and EPCOT it cannot be beat.
It was nice.. but we just didn't like how spread out everything was at the resort. :P some will like the "seclusion" feeling, but for us we like the way at Wilderness everything is in one building.

I have stayed at All Star Sports (twice) and Caribbean Beach. I did not like the Caribbean at all. I enjoyed the all star. Nothing fancy, gives you a bed and a pool. Dont spend too much time at hotel anyway but always looking for alternatives
Yeah, but that is if you are going on the cheap. If you go all out with the meal plan and on grounds I rather just pony up more for the next tier up resorts. I avoid the summer like the plague. Although going at this time is summer for a lot of people from countries in the South. It would not surprise me that >50% of the people in the parks can not speak English during the winter.

ETA: I'm sure it's been said somewhere in the thread, but I'll reiterate. At the outlet mall there is a Disney outlet with great prices on Disney stuff. Sometimes you need to get there at the right time, but it's worth the stop if you like shopping for Disney stuff.
Acer, When did you stay at Caribbean? They just recently redid most of the rooms and they are nice (I went in April/May 09). As far as the cheaper resorts, we like Pop Century. IN fact if we don't join Vacation Club, our next trip will be there with two rooms because we have 3 kids and most of the resorts are only made for 4 people. (Vacation Club resorts are setup for 5 or more)HTH

December?!? I'm going in a little over a month and haven't even thought about a game plan. I guess I should be getting nervous.We do have a place to stay, though, so at least that's taken care of.
I'm guessing your boys don't covet a meal with Cinderella the same way my daughter does. Not like that anyway.

Please go see a doctor. I'm really concerned about you.
My wife went to Disney something like 10 times in her first 15 years on this planet. I've thrown every excuse in the book at her to get her to hold off this long. Taking the in-laws was actually my idea. So yes, I may be completely insane.

Acer, When did you stay at Caribbean? They just recently redid most of the rooms and they are nice (I went in April/May 09). As far as the cheaper resorts, we like Pop Century. IN fact if we don't join Vacation Club, our next trip will be there with two rooms because we have 3 kids and most of the resorts are only made for 4 people. (Vacation Club resorts are setup for 5 or more)

HTH
I stayed there in December of 08. It was too big. It took 15 minutes for me to walk to the central part with the restaurants. We were the last stop the bus made so we would always have to wait for a bus or two to come by. Eventually we just got on the bus to the transit station because it was taking so long. I will never understand the allure of the vacation club. Seems like a lot of money to spend up front. Im sure its great for a while but I am not sure my kids will still love Disney that much in 10 years that I can be tied down to it. If you didnt have to spend the money every year, I can see doing it. But paying $15-20,000 up front and then an additional $800-1200 every year to buy the points doesnt make sense to me.

Planning to go early 2011 but no idea where to start. Issues off the top of my head:

Florida or California

Where to stay

Meal plan or not

Special Events (dinner with Cinderella) - how do I arrange these or see options?

It will be me, my wife and our twin daughters. They will be almost 4 at the time of the trip. Too young?

$$$ is flexible. Like anyone we don't want to throw away dough but we are also FBGs so there is a reputation to maintain.

Planning to go early 2011 but no idea where to start. Issues off the top of my head:

Florida or California

Where to stay

Meal plan or not

Special Events (dinner with Cinderella) - how do I arrange these or see options?

It will be me, my wife and our twin daughters. They will be almost 4 at the time of the trip. Too young?

$$$ is flexible. Like anyone we don't want to throw away dough but we are also FBGs so there is a reputation to maintain.
I think the reservation times can be made 90 days in advance. So you book your stay and then the morning of the 90th day out, you call to make your reservations.We were lucky to get lunch with Cinderella at the castle on very little notice. Not everyone is that lucky.

The meal plan is great if you plan on doing character dining. More then pays for itself.

I have been to both, Florida and California. Florida is much bigger, has more to do. California is great also and I really enjoyed California Adventure. It is a mix of some of the Florida parks and they have a great Mickey roller coaster. One of best coasters I have been on.

Where to stay is a hotly debated question. Depends on the budget and how much time you think you will be in the room

Quick question - what age is appropriate for the kids to get enough out of the trip to justify the expense? We will have a 6 and 4 at the end of the year, and would like to consider something in December. Both are(and likely will be) into princesses and stuff - so there is that.

What kinds of activities are there at the parks - assuming most major rides would be out.

Florida or California

Where to stay

Meal plan or not

I think the reservation times can be made 90 days in advance. So you book your stay and then the morning of the 90th day out, you call to make your reservations.We were lucky to get lunch with Cinderella at the castle on very little notice. Not everyone is that lucky.

The meal plan is great if you plan on doing character dining. More then pays for itself.

I have been to both, Florida and California. Florida is much bigger, has more to do. California is great also and I really enjoyed California Adventure. It is a mix of some of the Florida parks and they have a great Mickey roller coaster. One of best coasters I have been on.

Where to stay is a hotly debated question. Depends on the budget and how much time you think you will be in the room
I agree with this. We thought about buying into the DVC but between the upfront money and with the kids getting older we decided not to do it. Now we just buy points off of a DVC member when we go. Saves us a fair amount of money. Going to the Widerness Lodge at the end of Jan.

Quick question - what age is appropriate for the kids to get enough out of the trip to justify the expense? We will have a 6 and 4 at the end of the year, and would like to consider something in December. Both are(and likely will be) into princesses and stuff - so there is that.What kinds of activities are there at the parks - assuming most major rides would be out.
I don't know how to compare it, because I only have one, but we went this August with my daughter who was 4.5 at the time. I thought that she definitely got a lot out of it. I think that the best thing is that since she is on the young side, she still has an amazing sense of wonder at the whole experience. However, there were some things that we couldn't do and it was also a lot for her to handle for 5 straight days, as we tried to pack in as much as possible.

You get extra magic hours if staying in the park, though, no? I thought that they were huge.

Florida or California

Where to stay

Meal plan or not

Dining reservations are 180 days out now and you can do them online. Have your confirmation number if you are staying on site so you can make all the reservations for up to 10 days at the same time. They let you make reservations for your entire stay starting 180 days before your first day there. Cinderella's castle meal will fill up within a day of being able to reserve for the popular times of year.

Quick question - what age is appropriate for the kids to get enough out of the trip to justify the expense? We will have a 6 and 4 at the end of the year, and would like to consider something in December. Both are(and likely will be) into princesses and stuff - so there is that.What kinds of activities are there at the parks - assuming most major rides would be out.
My daughter was 1 year and 7 month when we went the first time, a month later we went again and then she was 2 years and 2 months when we went the third time.She remembers everything from each time. I know everyone will be different but I am sure your kids will enjoy it at their ages

Those are great ages.I highly recommend the princess lunch at Akershus dining hall in norway at epcot.

Those are great ages.I highly recommend the princess lunch at Akershus dining hall in norway at epcot.
The Norway lunch was OK. My wife and I did not love the food. We thought they put it there to get people to eat thereLiked the castle better

Like others have said, 6 and 4 are definitely old enough.Depending on their heights and tolerance for thrills, they may be able to ride just about everything. 40" is the minimum for about half of the major rides. 44" for most of the rest. Only two (Primeval Whirl and Rock N Roller Coaster) are 48".My son was a month short of his 5th birthday and rode everything but those last two and Dinosaur. Tower of Terror was a bit much for him though. After that one he said he "screamed like a little girl".

Dining reservations are 180 days out now and you can do them online. Have your confirmation number if you are staying on site so you can make all the reservations for up to 10 days at the same time. They let you make reservations for your entire stay starting 180 days before your first day there. Cinderella's castle meal will fill up within a day of being able to reserve for the popular times of year.
:goodposting:
Quick question - what age is appropriate for the kids to get enough out of the trip to justify the expense? We will have a 6 and 4 at the end of the year, and would like to consider something in December. Both are(and likely will be) into princesses and stuff - so there is that.

What kinds of activities are there at the parks - assuming most major rides would be out.
Excluding rides. Things I thought my daughter (2) loves is the parades. As I have said before, our favorite is the Spectromagical parade. They got smart with character meetings. You wait in one line to knock out everyone all at once. The line to wait is usually pretty long, but it is inside. girls 3-7 will love the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique.

Illuminations is a laser, fireworks show. AKA "greenless" in my family. They waste so much oil with the pyrotechnics we consider it as Disney's finger to the government.

The Norway lunch was OK. My wife and I did not love the food. We thought they put it there to get people to eat thereLiked the castle better
castle is twice as many table service meals and getting reservations is tough. Akershus is still loved by the kids, is less expensive, and puts you right by the Carlsberg Beer cart with a great excuse to go to Epcot.No brainer IMO.

You get extra magic hours if staying in the park, though, no? I thought that they were huge.
As mentioned in the thread, Disney is just not enjoyable if you cram everything in. This is exactly WHY I joined DVC. My wife and I will go to Disney to relax sometimes, and other times we go for the whole Disney experience. However, we don't feel obligated to do everything when we get there. We take days off. I play golf on the professional courses. We enjoy the food, the people and the Magic. Yes, I said the Magic. Disney runs like the prefect little country. I know exactly what I will get there. The place is clean, I can hold a conversation with any of the cast members and they are always nice. I love sitting in the hot tub at the end of the day at the resort and talk with people from all over the world. Some of the greatest tips I have received are from shooting the bull with the geust there. It has everything you might want to do. If you want to go to the beach, you can go to Vero beach and get the same Disney service.

springroll said:
AcerFC said:
springroll said:
Sinn Fein said:

castle is twice as many table service meals and getting reservations is tough. Akershus is still loved by the kids, is less expensive, and puts you right by the Carlsberg Beer cart with a great excuse to go to Epcot.No brainer IMO.
Our favorite is 1900 Park Fare in the Grand Floridian. My daughter is a huge Mary Poppins fan.

Bob Sacamano said:
My wife went to Disney something like 10 times in her first 15 years on this planet. I've thrown every excuse in the book at her to get her to hold off this long. Taking the in-laws was actually my idea. So yes, I may be completely insane.
If you can get along with your in-laws and you guys are not hell bent on spending every second of everyday together, then this is a solid idea. If you want time to relax at times and are looking to get something like a villa then I suggest the Boardwalk. (ESPN club, Dance club, bakery, street performers etc.) If money is not too much of an issue and you plan on taking days off to relax at the resort, The Yacht and Beach Club across from the Boardwalk has the best pool/ activity area.

ATC1 said:
Please See Mine said:
ATC1 said:
AcerFC said:
As mentioned in the thread, Disney is just not enjoyable if you cram everything in. This is exactly WHY I joined DVC. My wife and I will go to Disney to relax sometimes, and other times we go for the whole Disney experience. However, we don't feel obligated to do everything when we get there. We take days off. I play golf on the professional courses. We enjoy the food, the people and the Magic. Yes, I said the Magic. Disney runs like the prefect little country. I know exactly what I will get there. The place is clean, I can hold a conversation with any of the cast members and they are always nice. I love sitting in the hot tub at the end of the day at the resort and talk with people from all over the world. Some of the greatest tips I have received are from shooting the bull with the geust there. It has everything you might want to do. If you want to go to the beach, you can go to Vero beach and get the same Disney service.
Not to also sound like a salesman, but the DVC cost is not so obscene, and if you plan it correctly, you can set it up so you go every other year and use your points properly. It is also possible to use your DVC points at other non-Florida Disney and non-Disney places.

ATC1 said:
Please See Mine said:
ATC1 said:
AcerFC said:
As mentioned in the thread, Disney is just not enjoyable if you cram everything in.
I just think that it is easier to navigate around and see things during the extra hours, rather than during regular hours.

ATC1 said:
Please See Mine said:
ATC1 said:
AcerFC said:
As mentioned in the thread, Disney is just not enjoyable if you cram everything in.
I just think that it is easier to navigate around and see things during the extra hours, rather than during regular hours.
Agreed, the only problem being that everyone staying on grounds will probably go to the same park that day. Great way to use the park hoppers is to go to AK the same day as MK's magic hours.

ATC1 said:
Please See Mine said:
ATC1 said:
AcerFC said:
This is sort of my take (or rationalization, if you will). We will be there for six full days. If I try to maximize every minute of those days to the height of efficiency, I'll blow my brains out. If we can't fit everything in in six days without having every single ride/meal/event planned out in advance, I think I can live with that.That said, my wife says she has us hooked up for the meal plan, and has started reading the Disney book we have, so at least someone has their act together.

ATC1 said:
Please See Mine said:
ATC1 said:
AcerFC said:
This is sort of my take (or rationalization, if you will). We will be there for six full days. If I try to maximize every minute of those days to the height of efficiency, I'll blow my brains out. If we can't fit everything in in six days without having every single ride/meal/event planned out in advance, I think I can live with that.That said, my wife says she has us hooked up for the meal plan, and has started reading the Disney book we have, so at least someone has their act together.
You and your connections are a ####.

ATC1 said:
Please See Mine said:
ATC1 said:
AcerFC said:

That's the impression I am getting from this whole experience. SOMEONE in the party has to take a few hours and figure out a game plan. That's not to say you have to map out every second of the day Clark W Griswold style, but you need a basic plan in place.

We are planning a trip in April with the new gift card promo they have on.A few questions....The 1st week of April, I am thinking about opting out of the Water Park pass...is the weather in April going to be good enough for waterparking?If the weather is good enough, I am wondering about beaches then. Whjat is the nearest beach town to Orlando? I am thinking about maybe spending a couple of days before Disney on the beach....resting for the mania that Disney will be. The Gift card promo doesnt start until Apr.11 so I may take the family a couple of days early.TIAParmPS>>>REF....good job!
1st week of April is OK for waterparks, depending on your tolerance for cold. Weather that time of year fluctuates, it could be 85 degrees out one week and 65 the next. Waterparks always heat their water, so the water temp is a non-issue, but getting out of 85 degree water into 65 degree air sucks. Once you get out of March and into April, it's warm more often, so I'd bet you'd be all right if you guys are into waterparks.Closest beaches are Cocoa Beach or Daytona Beach to the SE and NE respectively, each about an hour away, give or take. Those are the ocean side. If you go to the gulf side, the Tampa area beaches are around the same distance (Clearwater, etc..) - maybe 15 mins further. Depends on whether you want finer sand and clearer water (gulf) or more activity and waves (ocean.)
Thanks EG!!! :thumbup:

I bought this trip for my family as a surprise Christmas gift, not really thinking I would be all that excited about it. Well not only am I more and more excited about Christmas morning and seeing the reaction of my wife and daughter, I'm actually starting to get excited myself. I think I did a good thing for the actual presentation on Christmas morning... I had custom made mouse ears with my wife and daughters name stitched on them and put the itinerary at the bottom of the box. Can't wait for Christmas and I'm starting to get excited for the trip in 25 days!
You won Dad of the Year I think, and I was giving you a run for your money.

I think we might take Disney off this year. Starting to plan our 2010 vacation and thinking it might be a Cruise this time.

We're booked for June 10-17. We're excited to take our kids there, and they're pumped. The wife and I went back in 2001, and had a great time. We're staying for 7 nights at the Fort Wilderness Cabins. I re-read this thread and saw a mention of them a ways back, but does anyone have personal experience staying in them? My mother-in-law is going too, so with our 3 kids, we had too big of a group for a regular hotel room. Thought about the Port Orleans Riverside with the trundle, but figured that room would feel way too small after a few days. We figure the cabin gives us more space, plus, being able to put the kids to bed and go into the other room should be good. I know there is a boat from Fort Wilderness to the Magic Kingdom, but I've heard the buses to the other parks are rather slow.

We lined up the Mickey's Backyard BBQ. Anyone ever been? We're also hitting Cindy's Royal Table, Whispering Canyon, Ohana and Le Cellier.

Looking forward to some of the new attractions that weren't there in '01, like Soarin', Expedition Everest and Toy Story Mania. I've been reading the Unofficial Guide, but I'm aware with kids 7,5, and 2, we'll have to take things slow. But with 8 days to tour, we should see everything in due time.

Users who are viewing this thread