What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney Vacation (7 Viewers)

Fort Wilderness cabins are awesome. Being able to put the kids to bed in a separate room is a huge plus. Having some groceries and a kitchen is nice for breakfast before hitting the parks.

Transportation is really the only downside. There are different loops of cabins, like you'd see at a campground. So you have to catch a bus from your loop to the main resort depot, and then another bus (or boat) from there to the park. Map.

To avoid the first leg of that trip some people rent a golf cart. That's about $50 a day though, so we rented a car instead for about the same price. Being able to park 10 feet from your front door is very convenient after a long day.

More info.

Anyone know about the Florida Resident 4 day theme park pass for $99? I was just wondering if you have to go to each one of the parks or one or 2 two times, etc... Didn't see this info. listed on their site.

ETA: Yup....you can add parkhopper or water park for $26 per ticket per day.

Last edited by a moderator:
We're booked for June 10-17. We're excited to take our kids there, and they're pumped. The wife and I went back in 2001, and had a great time. We're staying for 7 nights at the Fort Wilderness Cabins. I re-read this thread and saw a mention of them a ways back, but does anyone have personal experience staying in them? My mother-in-law is going too, so with our 3 kids, we had too big of a group for a regular hotel room. Thought about the Port Orleans Riverside with the trundle, but figured that room would feel way too small after a few days. We figure the cabin gives us more space, plus, being able to put the kids to bed and go into the other room should be good. I know there is a boat from Fort Wilderness to the Magic Kingdom, but I've heard the buses to the other parks are rather slow.

We lined up the Mickey's Backyard BBQ. Anyone ever been? We're also hitting Cindy's Royal Table, Whispering Canyon, Ohana and Le Cellier.

Looking forward to some of the new attractions that weren't there in '01, like Soarin', Expedition Everest and Toy Story Mania. I've been reading the Unofficial Guide, but I'm aware with kids 7,5, and 2, we'll have to take things slow. But with 8 days to tour, we should see everything in due time.
I'll let you know in about 11 days on these two. Le Cellier was on the short list if we were going to Epcot.

I can't remember if we posted this earlier in the thread and didn't want to go back and re-read but if you are planning a trip for this year they are running a promotion to get a free 1 day ticket. You have to volunteer one day with an organized registered with Disney but every family member is eligible (over age 4 I believe) and the tickets can be upgraded or you can get some type of fastpass card for multiple rides. They have everything from helping with mailers, volunteering at animal shelters, to making blankets for a childrens/youth program in my area. You can get all the details and look for volunteer opportunities in your area at

Disney's Give A Day Get A Day Program

Looks like we are going to do Animal Kingdom Lodge in April. Unreal deal right now...getting 40% off.

Will be getting stoked!!!!

Just decided to take the family to Disney at the end of March. Our trip will be a little unconventional from a planning standpoint, because we won't be booking tickets/resorts/dining plans. I have the good fortune of having a college friend that has worked as a "face" character at Magic Kingdom for the past 5 years. He has been bugging us to come for several years and can get us 3 parkhopper passes for all 4 days of our visits to the parks. We have 3 kids, so he is working on pulling together tickets from his coworkers for our other two kids. Pretty nice, huh?

I booked an offsite hotel suite w/ full kitchen 10 minutes from the park for $71/night. I would love to stay onsite to take advantage of the dining plan, but since we are going during peak time, cost of offsite is too good to pass up.

Our main concern is eating. We will be up early getting to the parks most days and will be eating breakfast at the hotel or in the car (we're driving). I was surprised to learn that you can bring in snacks/food into the parks. Any limitations on this? We'll eat most of our lunches in the park, but I could see packing sandwiches a day or two if it is feasible. We have a 3-year-old, so I also suspect we will be going back to nap several of the days, so we might grab early dinner at the hotel and then head back to a park for the late evening/night.

Any thoughts on how to plan meals/snacks if you cannot do the dining plan and eating all your meals in the parks?

Any thoughts on how to plan meals/snacks if you cannot do the dining plan and eating all your meals in the parks?
Plan to bring lots of food in with you. Make sandwiches (you said you'd have a full kitchen), freeze juiceboxes and bring them along (they will thaw for drinking during the day) and make sure you have lots of snack-type food (crackers, cookies, energy bars, etc.). Unless you don't care about spending tons of money - if that is the case you can find plenty of good counter-service food at each park and there are a few reservation-worthy restaurants to eat at if you're eating all meals on-site (mentioned throughout this thread).When we stay on-site we always have a kitchen and use www.gardengrocer.com to hook us up with food for the length of our stay (grocery delivery) and then set ourselves up with lunch/snacks each day and save a ton of money in the process.

soothsayer said:
The Third said:
Plan to bring lots of food in with you. Make sandwiches (you said you'd have a full kitchen), freeze juiceboxes and bring them along (they will thaw for drinking during the day) and make sure you have lots of snack-type food (crackers, cookies, energy bars, etc.). Unless you don't care about spending tons of money - if that is the case you can find plenty of good counter-service food at each park and there are a few reservation-worthy restaurants to eat at if you're eating all meals on-site (mentioned throughout this thread).When we stay on-site we always have a kitchen and use www.gardengrocer.com to hook us up with food for the length of our stay (grocery delivery) and then set ourselves up with lunch/snacks each day and save a ton of money in the process.
:goodposting: No limit to what you can bring in. I don't think you can bring in glass containers though. If you play on brown bagging lunch and snacks and counter service dinners. The Mexican counter service in epcot is different from your typical hamburger and fries that you probably will be eating the rest of the days. Also, cosmic rays is the best place for counter in the MK IMO. Pretty good ribs that counts as a counter service on the meal plan.

I can't remember if we posted this earlier in the thread and didn't want to go back and re-read but if you are planning a trip for this year they are running a promotion to get a free 1 day ticket. You have to volunteer one day with an organized registered with Disney but every family member is eligible (over age 4 I believe) and the tickets can be upgraded or you can get some type of fastpass card for multiple rides. They have everything from helping with mailers, volunteering at animal shelters, to making blankets for a childrens/youth program in my area. You can get all the details and look for volunteer opportunities in your area at

Disney's Give A Day Get A Day Program
I'm doing this on January 18th from 10-2. Me, my wife and 2 kids. I'll let you know how it works out.

The Mexican counter service in epcot is different from your typical hamburger and fries that you probably will be eating the rest of the days. Also, cosmic rays is the best place for counter in the MK IMO. Pretty good ribs that counts as a counter service on the meal plan.
Those are two good counter service choices. :thumbup:This is a couple years old now, but this is what I had after researching counter service prior to the trip...Counter Service Options - ratings from allearsnet usersHollywood Studios:ABC Commissary - 6.8; Cuban sandwich; chicken nuggets for kidsBacklot Express - 7.6; grilled chicken salad; grilled turkey & cheese; burgers; hot dogs; chicken nuggetsStudio Catering Co. - 8.6; bbq pork; grilled chicken; chicken wrap or drumstick for kidsPizza Planet - 7.4; pizza and salad; arcadeAnimal Kingdom:Flame Tree Barbeque - 8.3; ribs; smoked chicken; chicken wings for kidsYak and Yeti Cafe - 8.0; crispy honey chicken; sweet and sour pork; chicken bites for kidsPizzafari - 7.7; pizza; hot Italian sandwiches; pizza or spaghetti for kidsMagic Kingdom:Casey's Corner - 8.7; huge hot dogs; corn dog nuggetsColumbia Harbor House - 8.1; fried fish and/or chicken strips; sandwiches; chicken or mac n cheese for kidsCosmic Ray's Starlight Café - 7.8; rotisserie chicken; chicken sandwich; ribs; chicken nuggets for kidsPecos Bill Café - 7.5; burgers; chicken nuggets for kidsPinocchio Village Haus - 7.2; panini; cheese steak; turkey and cheese pinwheels for kidsEpcot:Boulangerie Patisserie (France) - 8.8; pastries; light sandwichesCantina de San Angel (Mexico) - 7.2; tacos; burritos; chicken and cheese quesadillas for kidsElectric Umbrella - 7.2; burgers; chicken stripsKringla Bakeri og Café (Norway) - 8.6; pastries; desserts; sandwiches; lefseLiberty Inn (America) - 7.4; burgers; chicken stripsLotus Blossom Café (China) - 6.7; orange chicken; beef noodle soup; barbeque drumstick for kidsSommerfest (Germany) - 8.7; brats; beers; pretzelsSunshine Seasons - 8.1; breakfast; food courtTangierine Café (Morocco) - 8.4; Shawarma (gyro); lamb platter; wraps; chicken tenders or pizza for kidsYakitori House (Japan) - 7.0; teriyaki chickenYorkshire County Fish Shop (UK) - 8.3; fish and chips

Really enjoyed disney world with our 7 and 4 yr olds - 2 questions

1. new little one is 2 and looking at going when he is 3 this Fall - too young? 4 was tough but she was potty trained and done with naps - little guy will likely be neither. Older kids will be 9 and 6 so not sure how this will work

2. My wife would like to make Disney an every year trip - I am nervous that if it is a yearly it wont be as "magical" or special.....any thoughts on that?

Oh yeah, and my personal favorites at each park...

Studios - Studio Catering Co.

AK - Flame Tree Bbq

MK - Cosmic Rays (though a Casey's dog while watching fireworks is greatness)

Epcot - Tangierine Cafe (liked Mexico more before moving to Texas)

Really enjoyed disney world with our 7 and 4 yr olds - 2 questions1. new little one is 2 and looking at going when he is 3 this Fall - too young? 4 was tough but she was potty trained and done with naps - little guy will likely be neither. Older kids will be 9 and 6 so not sure how this will work2. My wife would like to make Disney an every year trip - I am nervous that if it is a yearly it wont be as "magical" or special.....any thoughts on that?
We just got back with a 4 year old and a 2 year old. It was alot of fun, the weather kind of sucked but everything else was good.The 4 year old was a breeze, the 2 year old was a little bit tougher.Luckily we were staying at the Contemporary so we could just walk back to the hotel in the afternoon and he would take a nap and we would hit the parks again.If you guys are thinking about going back every year, look into the DVC. They are giving some pretty good deals right now, we just purchased at the Bay Lake Tower because the deal was good. They discount the points and they match the amount of points you by.So we bought 210 points, and they gave us a free 210 points to use up this year.

Oh yeah, and my personal favorites at each park...Studios - Studio Catering Co.AK - Flame Tree BbqMK - Cosmic Rays (though a Casey's dog while watching fireworks is greatness)Epcot - Tangierine Cafe (liked Mexico more before moving to Texas)
Peco's Bill Cafe is pretty good too, similar food to Cosmic Rays

Looking for some advice. We are planning a trip for summer and we have the chance to purchase points from a DVC member. In addition to this, we would still buy the park hopper tickets and the meal plan. Would it be better financially to do it this way, or just get the full package (moderate room, park hopper and meal plan) from Disney?

Really enjoyed disney world with our 7 and 4 yr olds - 2 questions1. new little one is 2 and looking at going when he is 3 this Fall - too young? 4 was tough but she was potty trained and done with naps - little guy will likely be neither. Older kids will be 9 and 6 so not sure how this will work2. My wife would like to make Disney an every year trip - I am nervous that if it is a yearly it wont be as "magical" or special.....any thoughts on that?
My 2 year old has been 3 times. She loves it. I love that it's all free for her.With 3 kids and possibly going every year you should look into Disney Vacation Club. We were going every year to every other year, then when our 3rd kid came along we plunged into DVC. So far we are not regretting the decision at all.

We just got back with a 4 year old and a 2 year old. It was alot of fun, the weather kind of sucked but everything else was good.The 4 year old was a breeze, the 2 year old was a little bit tougher.Luckily we were staying at the Contemporary so we could just walk back to the hotel in the afternoon and he would take a nap and we would hit the parks again.If you guys are thinking about going back every year, look into the DVC. They are giving some pretty good deals right now, we just purchased at the Bay Lake Tower because the deal was good. They discount the points and they match the amount of points you by.So we bought 210 points, and they gave us a free 210 points to use up this year.
:goodposting: My post earlier in the thread:As mentioned in the thread, Disney is just not enjoyable if you cram everything in. This is exactly WHY I joined DVC. My wife and I will go to Disney to relax sometimes, and other times we go for the whole Disney experience. However, we don't feel obligated to do everything when we get there. We take days off. I play golf on the professional courses. We enjoy the food, the people and the Magic. Yes, I said the Magic. Disney runs like the prefect little country. I know exactly what I will get there. The place is clean, I can hold a conversation with any of the cast members and they are always nice. I love sitting in the hot tub at the end of the day at the resort and talk with people from all over the world. Some of the greatest tips I have received are from shooting the bull with the guest there. It has everything you might want to do. If you want to go to the beach, you can go to Vero beach and get the same Disney service.There are very few things you can not do at Disney. It's just that mostly everyone there is going to be in the parks for their kids.

Looking for some advice. We are planning a trip for summer and we have the chance to purchase points from a DVC member. In addition to this, we would still buy the park hopper tickets and the meal plan. Would it be better financially to do it this way, or just get the full package (moderate room, park hopper and meal plan) from Disney?
Of course it depends on the package. I would also think it depends on the size of your group. DVC will allow you to get the condos for the same points around what a moderate hotel would be. smaller group means you may not need extra space.

If you go when your guy is under 3 he is free. There are some good places in each of the parks for "baby care" I have been with each of my two younger kids under three and it is not that bad, neither was potty trained.

If you go when your guy is under 3 he is free. There are some good places in each of the parks for "baby care" I have been with each of my two younger kids under three and it is not that bad, neither was potty trained.
If you go while trying to potty train, it can be a pain in the ###. Usually parents would just take the set back and put the kid back in dipers for the trip.

If you go while trying to potty train, it can be a pain in the ###. Usually parents would just take the set back and put the kid back in dipers for the trip.
I'd rather wait until he is potty trained/done with naps but wife will not be stopped! We usualy stay at the Grand Floridian/Polynesian to be close to the Kingdom - does DVC allow you to stay there? Do you lose the magic by going every year?

I'd rather wait until he is potty trained/done with naps but wife will not be stopped! We usualy stay at the Grand Floridian/Polynesian to be close to the Kingdom - does DVC allow you to stay there? Do you lose the magic by going every year?
You can stay at the Grand or Poly but it's not really good point value. DVC has a brand new resort next door to the Contemporary though. Closer to the MK than Grand and Poly.

It won't be magical. I go every year and my kids are 12, 7, 3 and the older ones would prefer to stay at the pool. When we go to the parks it's for like 4 hours and then we're back at the pool. Of course, we never stay at Disney (we have a timeshare) and the activities at the pool at our place are awesome.I always tell people wait until your kids are 38-40" tall, that way you can get the most out of your Disney trip at the parks.

The DVC rooms are a lot nicer, but it's not on the monorail. However, the buses are not nearly as crowed to transport. As my pervious post above. If you go every year, you find out what all that Disney has to offer. You don't spend all your time worrying about getting everything done in the parks. Before joining the DVC, go through a tour. There is usually a perk if you do the tour while in the parks. Check out the rooms, see whatelse you can do or where you can go. You don't need to just go to Disney. There are plenty of places to go and use your points including cruises and breach resorts.ETA: the most important thing to remember while you are there is to be a kid. you will get a lot more out of it.

Of course it depends on the package. I would also think it depends on the size of your group. DVC will allow you to get the condos for the same points around what a moderate hotel would be. smaller group means you may not need extra space.
It will be 2 adults and 2 kids (both under 3). My thought would be any money we saved by buying points to pay for the lodging would be lost by having to purchase the meal plan and park hoppers seperate from the room.

The DVC rooms are a lot nicer, but it's not on the monorail. However, the buses are not nearly as crowed to transport. As my pervious post above. If you go every year, you find out what all that Disney has to offer. You don't spend all your time worrying about getting everything done in the parks. Before joining the DVC, go through a tour. There is usually a perk if you do the tour while in the parks. Check out the rooms, see whatelse you can do or where you can go. You don't need to just go to Disney. There are plenty of places to go and use your points including cruises and breach resorts.ETA: the most important thing to remember while you are there is to be a kid. you will get a lot more out of it.
Is there a limit on the years you own the DVC. I went on the website and it seemed to imply that you only had it for 45 years.

Is there a limit on the years you own the DVC. I went on the website and it seemed to imply that you only had it for 45 years.
It all depends on when the lease is out on your resort. If you buy into an older resort like old Keywest the lease will be shorter.

It all depends on when the lease is out on your resort. If you buy into an older resort like old Keywest the lease will be shorter.
That's stinks. For about the same price, you can own 7000 points (equivalent to about 10 days in a 1br suite) at a Hilton Grand Vacations Timeshare. Those you can will away when you die and they never run out.

That's stinks. For about the same price, you can own 7000 points (equivalent to about 10 days in a 1br suite) at a Hilton Grand Vacations Timeshare. Those you can will away when you die and they never run out.
You can will away the DVC. So, my kin 3 generations down the line can use my points I bought 200 years ago? Wow.

You can will away the DVC. So, my kin 3 generations down the line can use my points I bought 200 years ago? Wow.
You just said that there is a limit. Is there, or not?

You just said that there is a limit. Is there, or not?
Sorry. You can Will away your DVC. There is a timetable to the lease. My 2nd comment was about the Grand Timeshares. So, you get 7000 point a year that can be past on from generation to generation without any expiration?

It will be 2 adults and 2 kids (both under 3). My thought would be any money we saved by buying points to pay for the lodging would be lost by having to purchase the meal plan and park hoppers seperate from the room.
I'm actually trying this for the first time for a quick trip at the end of this month. I was able to get the 3 nights at the wilderness lodge for $400. Add in the park tickets the trip total for me without the meal plan is around $1400. I did a quick reservation check throught the Disney site and the same trip would cost me $2,200. I did not get the dining plan but it looks like I'll save some money doing it this way and staying at the same resort. I know people that go to Disney renting points from DVC owners all of the time and swear it saves you a good bit of money.

Sorry. You can Will away your DVC. There is a timetable to the lease. My 2nd comment was about the Grand Timeshares. So, you get 7000 point a year that can be past on from generation to generation without any expiration?
Yes, the ownership never expires. Plus, when you purchase you become a Hilton Honors Silver VIP and they give you 175,000 points to use at Hilton and Hilton Affiliated Hotels around the world.I'm just asking about the DVC because I'm looking to add another week in the near future and I go to Florida almost every year and wanted to see if DVC would be a better deal for me to use, than HGVC.

We are planning to go to Disney Wolrd in October. Last time we went we stayed at the Pop Century. It was fine for us. We were gone most of the time and when we wherer at the Hotel we were all so tired all we did was sleep. This time I'm thinking about trying a differnet place mostly for convenince. I'm sure its been hit on in the last 29 pages but could someone give me a run down of the reccomended places to stay? The rooms aren't as big a deal since like I said we're only there to sleep. I'm more interested in ease of getting to the parks and Proximity. We will probably spend most of our time at MK and Hollywood studios. We may spend a day Epcot and go to AK just long enough to to Everest. I would like to keep the cost of lodging low but will balance the cost vs the benefit of the nicer resorts.

We are planning to go to Disney Wolrd in October. Last time we went we stayed at the Pop Century. It was fine for us. We were gone most of the time and when we wherer at the Hotel we were all so tired all we did was sleep. This time I'm thinking about trying a differnet place mostly for convenince. I'm sure its been hit on in the last 29 pages but could someone give me a run down of the reccomended places to stay? The rooms aren't as big a deal since like I said we're only there to sleep. I'm more interested in ease of getting to the parks and Proximity. We will probably spend most of our time at MK and Hollywood studios. We may spend a day Epcot and go to AK just long enough to to Everest. I would like to keep the cost of lodging low but will balance the cost vs the benefit of the nicer resorts.
Well the Contemporary, Polynesian and Grand Floridian are all on the monorail loop at MK. The Contemporary is the cheapest of the 3. I never stay at a Disney Resort, so I can't tell you about quality. Trip Advisor is a good place to go for reviews and pictures though.

About how much would the meal plan and park hoppers cost for 5 days? This would be for 2 adults, a 3 year old and a 1 year old.

About how much would the meal plan and park hoppers cost for 5 days? This would be for 2 adults, a 3 year old and a 1 year old.
PlansI didnt see a price but it should help and it lists a number to call for info. When I went, I think we paid $300 for a similar stay time but you can use them for character dining which is key

What's wrong with taking the bus? You can also drive to any of the parks and park for free provided you have your guess pass they assign you. I have stayed at Coronado Springs, Saratoga Springs, and Port Orleans: French Quarter. I liked all of them but preferred Saratoga Springs. Have no issues taking the bus everywhere. At Port Orleans there is a ferry that goes back and forth to Downtown Disney.

Well the Contemporary, Polynesian and Grand Floridian are all on the monorail loop at MK. The Contemporary is the cheapest of the 3. I never stay at a Disney Resort, so I can't tell you about quality. Trip Advisor is a good place to go for reviews and pictures though.
We have young kids and having a room on the monorail loop was very nice - we spent most of our time at MK so back to the room in 10 minutes was great - stayed at the GFloridian and Polynesian - both are nice. GF better for grown ups and a bit pricier and Polynesian more of a 70s vacation feel for kiddies. Cant go wrong with either IMO.

We have young kids and having a room on the monorail loop was very nice - we spent most of our time at MK so back to the room in 10 minutes was great - stayed at the GFloridian and Polynesian - both are nice. GF better for grown ups and a bit pricier and Polynesian more of a 70s vacation feel for kiddies. Cant go wrong with either IMO.
From Pop Century the buses were always crowded and we always seemed to be the last stop. 10 minuteson the monorail sound good. Forgot about driving. Last time we flew down and didn't have a car but this time we're driving so that is an option.

From Pop Century the buses were always crowded and we always seemed to be the last stop. 10 minuteson the monorail sound good. Forgot about driving. Last time we flew down and didn't have a car but this time we're driving so that is an option.
When you go, are you gonna get all Disney'd up, or would you also like a bit of a relaxing time? If you're getting Disney'd up, then stay at a Disney Resort. If you want a good mix between Disney and relaxing by the pool (with a lot of activities for the kids), I have a nice place we stay at but it's not a Disney property so you can't do the meal plan, but it's literally a 10 minute drive to Magic Kingdom.

When you go, are you gonna get all Disney'd up, or would you also like a bit of a relaxing time? If you're getting Disney'd up, then stay at a Disney Resort. If you want a good mix between Disney and relaxing by the pool (with a lot of activities for the kids), I have a nice place we stay at but it's not a Disney property so you can't do the meal plan, but it's literally a 10 minute drive to Magic Kingdom.
I would liketo say we will relax some but I'm pretty sure we are gonna be all Disney all the time. We may try and carve out 1 day to hang by the pool. I just have a hard time doing that knowing we can go swimming at home and we could be at one of the theme parks. I'm a little obssessive about some things. :goodposting:

Just checked prices for the polynesian with meal plan and that is too rich for my blood. Any moderate or value resorts that are closer to MK and MGM? I don't suppose the monorail or boats go to any of these resorts.

soothsayer said:
:confused: No limit to what you can bring in. I don't think you can bring in glass containers though. If you play on brown bagging lunch and snacks and counter service dinners. The Mexican counter service in epcot is different from your typical hamburger and fries that you probably will be eating the rest of the days. Also, cosmic rays is the best place for counter in the MK IMO. Pretty good ribs that counts as a counter service on the meal plan.
Intersting...never liked Cosmic Rays.I liked the burger at Pecos Bill I think...and my son always loves a Dog at Caseys.Son also loves the little round cheese quesadillas at Pizzafari at Animal Kingdom.

Just checked prices for the polynesian with meal plan and that is too rich for my blood. Any moderate or value resorts that are closer to MK and MGM? I don't suppose the monorail or boats go to any of these resorts.
Try Port Orleans. I would not suggest Cornado Springs. Too far from MK.

soothsayer said:
:lmao: No limit to what you can bring in. I don't think you can bring in glass containers though. If you play on brown bagging lunch and snacks and counter service dinners. The Mexican counter service in epcot is different from your typical hamburger and fries that you probably will be eating the rest of the days. Also, cosmic rays is the best place for counter in the MK IMO. Pretty good ribs that counts as a counter service on the meal plan.
Intersting...never liked Cosmic Rays.I liked the burger at Pecos Bill I think...and my son always loves a Dog at Caseys.Son also loves the little round cheese quesadillas at Pizzafari at Animal Kingdom.
I just don't like overpaying for a burger or hot dog everyday, so I like to mix it up. If you are in the mood for a burger it would be a Pecos Bill's.

Users who are viewing this thread