What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you eat cereal? (1 Viewer)

If you're looking for a sugar bomb, make Rice Krispie treats, but instead of Rice Krispies, use Fruity Pebbles. These are a hit with the kids if you have to bring a desert to a picnic this summer.
I like the cut of your jib.

What kind of horrible life have some of you lived to bash on cereal because it "isn't healthy"? Do you yell at kids to get off your lawn while chasing them with a 7 iron too?

Cheerios. If I'm splurging 50/50 Cheerios and Chocolate Cheerios. My daughter thinks Fruit Loops are the best thing ever invented, so she and I will eat those on occasion.

And since I conspire with my kids' pediatrician to ruin their lives, we use skim milk.

I could see eating cereal if you were living within some sort of food crisis and had to out of necessity. But in our country, to me, the ridiculous profit margins on cereal are evidence enough that the companies who make it don't care about consumers. It's all marketing. The fact that cereal companies market it as healthy, and we believe it, is kind of insulting as well. It's agricultural surplus. They are basically selling manufacturing waste that they claim is healthy because they "fortify" it. Fortified means that vitamins, minerals, or other nutrients - that do not normally exist in the food - are added to it during processing.

I could see eating cereal if you were living within some sort of food crisis and had to out of necessity. But in our country, to me, the ridiculous profit margins on cereal are evidence enough that the companies who make it don't care about consumers. It's all marketing. The fact that cereal companies market it as healthy, and we believe it, is kind of insulting as well. It's agricultural surplus. They are basically selling manufacturing waste that they claim is healthy because they "fortify" it. Fortified means that vitamins, minerals, or other nutrients - that do not normally exist in the food - are added to it during processing.
Did some traveling cereal salesman wreck you home as a child? I don't think I've ever encountered someone who actually hates cereal.

Organic foods boast massive profit margins too. Is that evidence that those companies "don't care about consumers" too?

At the end of the day every producer of food, from the farmer to the end-of-the-line retailer, is doing it for profit not altruism.

You're the guy who tans to lose weight, correct?

You seem like fun

Who doesn't love cereal???

One thought though. I've seen a number of people talk about eating their cereal with "skim milk". That makes no sense to me. At least whole milk will balance the sugar rush you will get from cereal with some fatty milk and keep your insulin from spiking as much. Skim milk is just adding more fuel (sugar) to the fire. A skim milk and cereal start to the morning is kind of like waking up and eating a big pack of skittles.

One thought though. I've seen a number of people talk about eating their cereal with "skim milk". That makes no sense to me. At least whole milk will balance the sugar rush you will get from cereal with some fatty milk and keep your insulin from spiking as much. Skim milk is just adding more fuel (sugar) to the fire. A skim milk and cereal start to the morning is kind of like waking up and eating a big pack of skittles.
Where you see skim milk has more sugar? Quick googlage shows both have ~13g per cup.

Where you see skim milk has more sugar? Quick googlage shows both have ~13g per cup.
The fat in whole milk will reduce the insulin spike. Admittedly probably not by much.

Pounding the cheerios with 1% milk right now. Less than 200 calories per meal. 4 pounds to go on my weight loss. Suck it cereal haters.

TheIronSheik said:
ChainsawU said:
I could see eating cereal if you were living within some sort of food crisis and had to out of necessity.
I think you may be talking about the conversation we had on the relationship between vitamin D and obesity? Thank you for asking. I'll explain my point to you again and also add an interesting point about seratonin.

First off, when you try to measure someone's vitamin D you look for 25-Hydroxyvitamin D (25OHD) - the major circulating form of vitamin D in the body and the precursor to the active form of vitamin D in the body. It is important to know, because there is an inverse relationship between total body fat and the amount of 25OHD in your bloodstream. This basically means that the more vitamin D you have the less fat you are - low 25OHD has been associated with obesity, diabetes, and metabolic syndrome. It is not known whether this association is due to storage of vitamin D in fat, inadequate sunlight exposure, diet, or other maybe something else, but what is known is that people regularly exposed to sunlight are more likely to have higher 25OHD concentrations and higher bone mineral densities than people who dont get any sun. It is common sense that there are numerous benefits to increasing the levels of vitamin D in your bloodstream; exposure to sunlight is just one of the ways to do that.

Now I am going to go one step further and add seratonin to the conversation. You have heard of seratonin before. It is a chemical released by the brain. There are three ways to increase seratonin levels in the body without drugs: exposure to sunlight, exercise, and diet. The reason it is especially important to consider serotonin when you are talking about dieting and trying to lose weight is because seratonin is the reason why you feel so good after eating. When the body reaches its needed caloric intake it releases serotonin, causing you to feel good (and full). A simple drop in seratonin levels can result in fullness not being achieved as quickly, such as during times like the winter months when the exposure to sunlight is not as prevalent and seratonin levels are reduced. Not feeling as full as quickly can lead to not being satisfied with the food that you eat, and the added side effect of that is overeating.

Anyway to answer your question, yes. In addition to diet and exercise I think exposure to sunlight helps maintain a healthy body weight because it increases your vitamin D and seratonin levels. Keeping a sexy tan is just a side effect of that.

I suppose next thing the health nuts will tell us is that Honeycomb cereal isn't made from real 100% honey combs.

TheIronSheik said:
ChainsawU said:
I could see eating cereal if you were living within some sort of food crisis and had to out of necessity.
I think you may be talking about the conversation we had on the relationship between vitamin D and obesity? Thank you for asking. I'll explain my point to you again and also add an interesting point about seratonin.

First off, when you try to measure someone's vitamin D you look for 25-Hydroxyvitamin D (25OHD) - the major circulating form of vitamin D in the body and the precursor to the active form of vitamin D in the body. It is important to know, because there is an inverse relationship between total body fat and the amount of 25OHD in your bloodstream. This basically means that the more vitamin D you have the less fat you are - low 25OHD has been associated with obesity, diabetes, and metabolic syndrome. It is not known whether this association is due to storage of vitamin D in fat, inadequate sunlight exposure, diet, or other maybe something else, but what is known is that people regularly exposed to sunlight are more likely to have higher 25OHD concentrations and higher bone mineral densities than people who dont get any sun. It is common sense that there are numerous benefits to increasing the levels of vitamin D in your bloodstream; exposure to sunlight is just one of the ways to do that.

Now I am going to go one step further and add seratonin to the conversation. You have heard of seratonin before. It is a chemical released by the brain. There are three ways to increase seratonin levels in the body without drugs: exposure to sunlight, exercise, and diet. The reason it is especially important to consider serotonin when you are talking about dieting and trying to lose weight is because seratonin is the reason why you feel so good after eating. When the body reaches its needed caloric intake it releases serotonin, causing you to feel good (and full). A simple drop in seratonin levels can result in fullness not being achieved as quickly, such as during times like the winter months when the exposure to sunlight is not as prevalent and seratonin levels are reduced. Not feeling as full as quickly can lead to not being satisfied with the food that you eat, and the added side effect of that is overeating.

Anyway to answer your question, yes. In addition to diet and exercise I think exposure to sunlight helps maintain a healthy body weight because it increases your vitamin D and seratonin levels. Keeping a sexy tan is just a side effect of that.
A simple yes would have sufficed, GB.

Thanks man. No dude, I am just up to my ankles in accounting exercises - out of a textbook - so any excuse to take a break from that is what is fueling my pressing research agenda on breakfast cereal, etc.. I still wouldn't feed that crap to my kids though! Nah, just kidding I think it's fine.

TheIronSheik said:
ChainsawU said:

look at herman melville over here getting all upity about someone else having a long post holy cow brohan does the chewing gum lose its flavor on the thirteenth post overnight or what take that to the bank brohans

TheIronSheik said:
ChainsawU said:

look at herman melville over here getting all upity about someone else having a long post holy cow brohan does the chewing gum lose its flavor on the thirteenth post overnight or what take that to the bank brohans
I feel like you have me confused with someone else, brohan. What post of mine was long? :confused:

TheIronSheik said:
ChainsawU said:

I feel like you have me confused with someone else, brohan. What post of mine was long? :confused:
i am just busting your chops a little for the whole thing that led to the angry pm you got which i think is ridiculous that is all bromigo just trying to keep it light so there you have it brohan

I keep seeing Honeycombs listed. I used to love that but they changed their "recipe" several years ago and it was awful....did they go back?

Same thing happened to Trix.

Does Cap'N Crunch still tear up the roof of your mouf? Was still worth eating it but just sayin'.

Sad to say cereal is not included in my diet anymore.

I discovered this Grain Berry Cinnamon Frosted Shredded Wheat about a year ago and it is awesome. Can plow through half a box easily on a weekend morning. I just tried to find a link but it is not listed on their website, so I am starting to panic a little.

Cranberry Almond Fiber One is really good

So is kashi golean crunch

I'm sure neither are particularly "healthy" but I actually enjoy them more than the sugar Bomb stuff....

Well except that Reese's cereal. That's the best #### ever.

Cranberry Almond Fiber One is really good

So is kashi golean crunch

I'm sure neither are particularly "healthy" but I actually enjoy them more than the sugar Bomb stuff....

Well except that Reese's cereal. That's the best #### ever.

Just snacked on some grape nuts at 3pm Suck on the Dr chain oz
What are you, 82?
I used to love those as a kid. Good w/ warm milk too.
Oh heck yeah. Some milk, a little brown sugar or honey, a dab of butter even if you want, pop it in the microwave for a couple of minutes, and you've got some really good stuff.
I like to add yogurt to my Grape Nuts instead of milk sometimes. Yummy.

Users who are viewing this thread