What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you eat cereal? (1 Viewer)

My typical breakfast - 3-4 egg whites with olive oil so they don't stick. Sometimes with cheese or bell peppers or avacado to change it up, 1/2 cup of whole pinto beans and salsa. Mmm, I love breakfast.

2 eggs and 4 bacon strips are way better for you than a big bowl of frosted cereal with milk.
Yea but that takes like 10 mins to make and leaves me with 2 pans, 2 spatulas, a bowl, a plate an fork to clean. Bowl of cereal I have completely consumed in 6-7 mins and bowl and spoon is in the dishwasher.

Despyzer said:
I used to eat cereal on a daily basis, but now it's usually only once (rarely twice) a week.

Top Tier (healthy):

Crispex

Cracklin' Oat Bran

Cinnamon Life
I love Cracklin' Oat Bran, but I don't think it belongs in a "Top Tier (healthy)" classification.

Yes.

Mostly the Kashi stuff, but also the Costco Raisin Bran, Special K with Berries, occasional frosted mini wheats when slummin'

I like cereal, but more as a snack since it doesn't satiate me as a meal. I need protein to start my day without starving late morning.

Always have raisin bran, honey nut Cheerios and frosted shredded mini wheats in my pantry. Trader Joes sells raisin bran with granola mixed in, strawberry yogurt cheerios and maple flavored frosted mini wheats. Mmmmm.

We learned about breakfast cereal in marketing. The profit margins on it are amazing. It is basically a cheap commodity - agricultural surplus - that is then processed into something more marketable and profitable. Breakfast cereal is convenient and marketers have us believe that it is intrinsically healthy, when in reality it is just cheap foodstuff that has to have any goodness artificially added - which is the reason why you see that most of it has been "fortified" with nutrients that we could easily obtain elsewhere in our diet.

The guy who invented breakfast cereal, John Harvey Kellogg, was an advocate for sexual abstinence and ran a sanitarium sponsored Seventh-Day Adventists. He was really into Sylvester Graham and read a lot of Graham's books. Graham, a Presbyterian minister, social reformer, and advocate for "healthful" living, believed that a strict vegetarian diet would aid in suppressing carnal urges, and as a result he advocated for a diet devoid of meat and rich in fiber as a way of combating rampant desire - thus the invention of the "graham" cracker.

Kellogg, a moralist who perceived normal sexuality as something threatening, was fascinated by Graham's thoughts about the interaction between diet, morality, and lifestyle and came up with his own invention - breakfast cereal - in 1878. Kellogg believed that by feeding his children cereal every morning that it would help them to combat their destructive sexual urges.

Anyway, breakfast cereal is basically an invention that was stumbled upon in the late 19th century and marketed as healthy when, in reality, it isn't really good for you. As a matter of fact it actually contains compounds that bind to calcium that prevent it from being absorbed into the bloodstream. So when you eat your cereal with milk, it actually leads to less calcium absorption than just drinking the milk by itself.

We learned about breakfast cereal in marketing. The profit margins on it are amazing. It is basically a cheap commodity - agricultural surplus - that is then processed into something more marketable and profitable. Breakfast cereal is convenient and marketers have us believe that it is intrinsically healthy, when in reality it is just cheap foodstuff that has to have any goodness artificially added - which is the reason why you see that most of it has been "fortified" with nutrients that we could easily obtain elsewhere in our diet.

The guy who invented breakfast cereal, John Harvey Kellogg, was an advocate for sexual abstinence and ran a sanitarium sponsored Seventh-Day Adventists. He was really into Sylvester Graham and read a lot of Graham's books. Graham, a Presbyterian minister, social reformer, and advocate for "healthful" living, believed that a strict vegetarian diet would aid in suppressing carnal urges, and as a result he advocated for a diet devoid of meat and rich in fiber as a way of combating rampant desire - thus the invention of the "graham" cracker.

Kellogg, a moralist who perceived normal sexuality as something threatening, was fascinated by Graham's thoughts about the interaction between diet, morality, and lifestyle and came up with his own invention - breakfast cereal - in 1878. Kellogg believed that by feeding his children cereal every morning that it would help them to combat their destructive sexual urges.

Anyway, breakfast cereal is basically an invention that was stumbled upon in the late 19th century and marketed as healthy when, in reality, it isn't really good for you. As a matter of fact it actually contains compounds that bind to calcium that prevent it from being absorbed into the bloodstream. So when you eat your cereal with milk, it actually leads to less calcium absorption than just drinking the milk by itself.
you didn't answer the question. <_<

Not so much anymore. It's not really healthy and the milk tends to give me bubbleguts.
While I agree there are much healthier options, it isn't the most unhealthy either.
name some breakfasts that you think are less healthy than those cereals you listed... just curious.
Bacon, egg, and cheese

Any egg combo (for example - eggs, sausage, hash browns and toast)
:lmao: Keep thinking your sugar bombs are better for you than these.

Don't eat cereal anymore. I need protein in the morning or I get a little weird.

When I used to eat it, PB Crunch was by far my favorite.

My go to cereal is, and always has been, Cap'n Crunch Berry. I could eat that for every meal from now until the end of time.
The top of your mouth isn't made to handle a lifetime of that cereal. Eating beer bottles might be easier.
I'm not much of a cereal guy, in general, but this is the main reason I've never gotten the Crunch love. I don't know people stand to eat it. Guess I'm just not man enough to handle that level of Crunch.

Yes.. Kashi and Fiber One Honey Clusters mix with slithered almonds on weekend mornings. This along with a cup of coffee and by 9:30.. poop city. Like clockwork.

My typical breakfast - 3-4 egg whites with olive oil so they don't stick. Sometimes with cheese or bell peppers or avacado to change it up, 1/2 cup of whole pinto beans and salsa. Mmm, I love breakfast.
Hey, BobbyLane, the question was do you eat cereal. (Awaiting angry PM)

Not so much anymore. It's not really healthy and the milk tends to give me bubbleguts.
While I agree there are much healthier options, it isn't the most unhealthy either.
name some breakfasts that you think are less healthy than those cereals you listed... just curious.
Bagel and cream cheese

Bacon, egg, and cheese

Bagel with butter

Pancakes and syrup

French Toast and syrup

Waffles with syrup
to the bolded - ok. Basically your sugar, processed grains, chemical stew with milk is better than refined grains and sugar. :thumbup:

To the rest - no. Presuming the butter is real butter, the others are all better for you.

But yes, cereal is probably better than pop tarts or hershey bars.

I don't know. I eat a bowl of plain cheerios with milk every other morning and I'm cool with that. I agree those sugar loaded cereals are not very good for you. Then again I always thought those were just for kids. :shrug:

More tales of the merry travels of Cap'n Crunch. Less pissing on the corn flakes hippie health chatter please.

TheIronSheik said:
sbonomo said:
Hey, BobbyLane, the question was do you eat cereal. (Awaiting angry PM)
:lmao:

Leave it to the current FFA climate to turn a thread about the gloriousness of cereal into a bore fest about how bad it is for you.

When I was younger, I'd get down into the Lucky Charms box before my brother and handpick all of the marshmallows. My bowl would be 2/3 marshmallow, 1/3 the other ####.

Remember when they use to put toys in the boxes (no idea if they still do). I'd plow through a box just to get to the stinking toy.

I rarely eat cereal anymore, but I love me some smacks/golden bear, honey bunches of oats, grape nuts with a little sugar/or fruit, honey nut cheerios, and every now and then fruity pebbles (I'm so on board with the previous post about needing to hit the sweet spot on this before it turns into cardboard. Not a huge fan of the uber sugared fruity pebble milk afterwards.)

My wife makes cereal milk ice cream. It's like making regular ice cream in an ice cream maker but she "marinates" the milk/cream in different cereals first. The last one she did was Cap'n Crunch and it was awesome.

holy cow brohans they tried to get me to read war and peace in high school and i did not do it then and i am not going to do it now take that to the bank brohans

My wife makes cereal milk ice cream. It's like making regular ice cream in an ice cream maker but she "marinates" the milk/cream in different cereals first. The last one she did was Cap'n Crunch and it was awesome.
You are a lucky man. Well. Besides having to drive a Prius, you're a lucky man, GB.

Honey bunches of oats was, and at times still, a huge vice of mine. I could put down a whole box in a sitting without even thinking about it.

Bagel and cream cheese

Bacon, egg, and cheese

Bagel with butter

Pancakes and syrup

French Toast and syrup

Waffles with syrup
Your understanding of nutrition is whack.

holy cow brohans they tried to get me to read war and peace in high school and i did not do it then and i am not going to do it now take that to the bank brohans
Are you complaining about a 3 page thread? :confused:
listen here tolstoy i do not need any guff from you take that to the bank
Hey! Save your anger for PM's, buddy. :hot:
if you think i have time read all of that you are sadly mistaken doctor sues take that to the bank

If you're looking for a sugar bomb, make Rice Krispie treats, but instead of Rice Krispies, use Fruity Pebbles. These are a hit with the kids if you have to bring a desert to a picnic this summer.

Users who are viewing this thread