What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Does anybody care about quarterback scoring? (1 Viewer)

tduebber

Footballguy
I love fantasy football, but something that drives me absolutely crazy is how quarterbacks are valued so much less than in the NFL. I've tried to create my own leagues with modified scoring, with some minor success, but interest in changing anything about the standard scoring system seems to be more or less nonexistent. Do you think quarterback scoring should be changed? If not, why? If so, message me 😉

Do I care? Not really, it doesn't bother me much. One thing that does bother me though, is how you're barely penalized for INTs in most all leagues. Our league does -1 per pick. If a QB throws 4 picks per game, that could be small potatoes compared to the positive points he scores in fantasy. But he'll last about 6 games as an NFL QB (9 if he plays for the Jets).

Why would I possibly care to compare the NFL to fantasy football? Why stop at quarterback? Defenses are pretty important to the success of NFL teams. Fantasy football, not so much.
If you truly made a fantasy football quarterback as important as the NFL quarterback, teams that don’t have a top five quarterback wouldn’t be able to compete. How long do you think they would stick around? Now let’s suppose this is a dynasty and you have Mahomes/Allen. You did fairly well and are at the back end of the rookie draft. Many of the other teams are still trying to find their quarterback, so they keep drafting quarterbacks early. Meanwhile, the good teams that already have a quarterback are getting position players that should never fall to them. Those teams continue to get better every year and the bottom half of the league will never be able to catch up. That doesn’t sound like much fun to me.

Why would I possibly care to compare the NFL to fantasy football? Why stop at quarterback? Defenses are pretty important to the success of NFL teams. Fantasy football, not so much.
If you truly made a fantasy football quarterback as important as the NFL quarterback, teams that don’t have a top five quarterback wouldn’t be able to compete. How long do you think they would stick around? Now let’s suppose this is a dynasty and you have Mahomes/Allen. You did fairly well and are at the back end of the rookie draft. Many of the other teams are still trying to find their quarterback, so they keep drafting quarterbacks early. Meanwhile, the good teams that already have a quarterback are getting position players that should never fall to them. Those teams continue to get better every year and the bottom half of the league will never be able to catch up. That doesn’t sound like much fun to me.
I mean, that sounds fun to me, but I guess most people aren't very interested in simulation.

In the interest of competitive balance, that's a fair point, but shouldn't there at least be a small tier break? Just enough to push QBs into R1, not so much that Mahomes breaks everything.

Consider shifting to 2QB or Superflex - QB scoring gains much more importance.
Superflex is better than standard, but creating artificial scarcity makes way less sense than just un-nerfing passing yards.
Fair point. Things like points based on QB rating, completion % or incompletions (assuming you get points for completions) can make fantasy a bit closer to reality.

Old league did a scoring system for QB where there were both positive and negative impacts.
Interception -2 per but 3rd gets -3 extra and 4th+ get -4 extra in addition to the above. So in essence 4 INT = -15 impact (and -6 more for each thereafter).
That caused serious impact on scoring. But it was balanced by Completion % to some degree.

It created a different valuation on QB rankings and trades but it was always a struggle to find the next top QB!

Long long ago our league shifted to 6pt TDs and 1pt / 15 yds passing, back before the offensive explosion. 10 team league too. I've tried to get the scoring reduced but noone's interested lol. It actually works well for me because it's a keep 3 league and far too many teams are carrying QBs into the new season.

1984 Marino and 2007 Brady were worthy 1st round fantasy picks, because they left all other QB's in the dust those years.

Fiddle all you want with scoring, there's no escaping the relative flatness of the value curve. If I were to whiteboard a possible solution, it would be a league in which the only roster elements were rushers, receivers and individual defensive players. But there really isn't critical mass to do such a thing driven by the community.

I love fantasy football, but something that drives me absolutely crazy is how quarterbacks are valued so much less than in the NFL. I've tried to create my own leagues with modified scoring, with some minor success, but interest in changing anything about the standard scoring system seems to be more or less nonexistent. Do you think quarterback scoring should be changed? If not, why? If so, message me 😉

It's a great question. If the goal is to raise the value and importance of QBs, I personally think the answer is 6 point passing TDs. That feels like just the right spot between 4 point passing TDs which can be too little value and superflex which can be too much.

But the beauty of fantasy football is the league gets to decide. Do what you like.

Consider shifting to 2QB or Superflex - QB scoring gains much more importance.
Superflex is better than standard, but creating artificial scarcity makes way less sense than just un-nerfing passing yards.
Artificial scarcity is the reason any position has value in fantasy football. Might as well create it for all positions rather than neglecting the most important player on every NFL team.

Now let’s suppose this is a dynasty and you have Mahomes/Allen. You did fairly well and are at the back end of the rookie draft. Many of the other teams are still trying to find their quarterback, so they keep drafting quarterbacks early...
This reminds me of something.

Having played in a 12 team, super-flex, PPR redraft for 20 some odd years (there always tweeks to the scoring every year but that's been the gist) I will never understand the arguments against.

Every year at the draft we see 3-5 QBs, 3-5 RBs & 3-5 WRs go in each of the first two rounds.

We see QB strong teams win championships, RB strong teams win championships, WR strong teams win championships, well balanced teams win championships etc.

Why do people hate flexibility and parity?

I chimed in above...but consider this. FF has it's roots in the 1990's. That's when it started really taking off as a national pastime of sorts. The NFL and the way they valued the best players in the league was as such.

1997 - 2003 Brett Favre contract; 7 years, $47M - $12M signing bonus

1997 - 2003 Emmitt Smith contract; 7 years, $40M - $10.5M signing bonus

Quite frankly, I'm surprised SuperFlex hasn't become the default way to play. I think 2RB's in the starting lineup was a product of diversifying and expanding production and trying to reflect what football looked like on the field - you don't see 2 QB's on the field...you could see 2 RB's on the field.

But to not acknowledge that the game has changed and that 1 QB leagues devalue a position that has gone on to 8-9x it's financial value while Emmitt Smith's contract looks enviable to todays veteran RB's seems an odd industry wide oversight.

I agree that 6 points per passing TD might be a good way to go if you’re not into 2QB/Superflex.

Within the QB position, it also helps to raise the value of non-mobile QBs who put up good passing stats. Many of these guys lose value to some of the mobile QBs that get a lot of points on the ground but not much passing (e.g., Fields, Daniel Jones).

A lot of good points thrown out there. It kind of all depends on how much it matters to you for fantasy football to be similar to actual football. You could really go all-in and create some super complicated thing with IDP and o-linemen that simulates some semblance of a football game using your guys' stats from their real games. Or you could not care and just say, this is just fantasy football, it doesn't need to be comparable. One extreme is more interesting, one extrene is simpler. Both are fun. But yeah. Nothing wrong with tweaking the point system to try to make things more relatable to football.

Points for the team winning

I agree that 6 points per passing TD might be a good way to go if you’re not into 2QB/Superflex.

Within the QB position, it also helps to raise the value of non-mobile QBs who put up good passing stats. Many of these guys lose value to some of the mobile QBs that get a lot of points on the ground but not much passing (e.g., Fields, Daniel Jones).
In my 6 point qb td league we give no bonus points for rushing yards, they just get combined with the passing yards. However we do give 8 points for qb rushing tds as well as 8 for rb recieving tds and 8 for wr/te rushing tds.

My long standing 12-team league has done 6pts per passing TD in the past. In my opinion it just devalues rushing QBs and makes guys like Mahomes wrecking balls, even in single QB formats (maybe even more-so). We changed to Superflex a few years back and it's great. My league is trade friendly and it makes QBs viable trade commodities/opens up more trading options.

Current scoring is:
- half PPR
- half point per first down
- 4pt passing TD
- all other TDs 6 pts
- -2 pp INT
- standard yardage scoring.

I believe it to be the most balanced/competitive the league has been in its 20ish years.

My long standing 12-team league has done 6pts per passing TD in the past. In my opinion it just devalues rushing QBs and makes guys like Mahomes wrecking balls, even in single QB formats (maybe even more-so). We changed to Superflex a few years back and it's great. My league is trade friendly and it makes QBs viable trade commodities/opens up more trading options.

Current scoring is:
- half PPR
- 4pt passing TD
- all other TDs 6 pts
- -2 pp INT

I believe it to be the most balanced/competitive the league has been in its 20ish years.
QBs getting 4 points for a passing TD is so antiquated, except for SF. Those leagues make QBs too valuable as it is.

Current scoring is:
- half PPR
- 4pt passing TD
- all other TDs 6 pts
- -2 pp INT

QBs getting 4 points for a passing TD is so antiquated, except for SF. Those leagues make QBs too valuable as it is.
In what way are QBs overvalued in your SF league?

I mean from which perspective? Is it the scarcity or something to do with your scoring?

Current scoring is:
- half PPR
- 4pt passing TD
- all other TDs 6 pts
- -2 pp INT

I mean from which perspective? Is it the scarcity or something to do with your scoring?
I don’t play SF. I’m just saying QBs are vastly too important in SF. You have to give up your first born to get a top QB and that may not be enough. So minimizing scoring of QBs in SF isn’t a bad thing. However, only giving 4 points per passing td in start 1QB leagues is outdated.

I'm in a superflex where you draft only 1 RB and 1 WR and another RB/WR flex. This makes QBs so stupidly valuable, VBD says to take all QBs up to like Stafford and Goff before drafting a RB1 or WR1.

I'm in a superflex where you draft only 1 RB and 1 WR and another RB/WR flex. This makes QBs so stupidly valuable, VBD says to take all QBs up to like Stafford and Goff before drafting a RB1 or WR1.
Weird format IMO.

A lot of good points thrown out there. It kind of all depends on how much it matters to you for fantasy football to be similar to actual football. You could really go all-in and create some super complicated thing with IDP and o-linemen that simulates some semblance of a football game using your guys' stats from their real games. Or you could not care and just say, this is just fantasy football, it doesn't need to be comparable. One extreme is more interesting, one extrene is simpler. Both are fun. But yeah. Nothing wrong with tweaking the point system to try to make things more relatable to football.

:goodposting: This is what I love about Fantasy Football. Make the scoring system something YOU and your league likes.

Current scoring is:
- half PPR
- 4pt passing TD
- all other TDs 6 pts
- -2 pp INT

I don’t play SF. I’m just saying QBs are vastly too important in SF. You have to give up your first born to get a top QB and that may not be enough. So minimizing scoring of QBs in SF isn’t a bad thing. However, only giving 4 points per passing td in start 1QB leagues is outdated.
Like any fantasy league the Devil is in the details.

In my, almost, 30 years in our SF league (formerly mandatory 2QB) we don't see anything that would represent an overvaluation of the QB position. With 12 teams we see an average of 8 QBs, total, drafted in the first two rounds every year.

If that seems overvalued to you, would you mind explaining why? Honest question.

For me, decades of seeing 10-12 RBs come off the board in the first round alone was always bizarre. The 1QB, 2RB, 2WR standard format league from yester-year was just dull.

People recognized that and with the rise of PPR formats, starting lineups that allow, or require 3 WRs (artificial scarcity) and other creative ways to boost WR scoring that started to change. It was clearly a popular adjustment as it is ubiquitous now. It still led to RB dominated leagues but we started seeing maybe only 8 RBs drafted in the first round along with 4 WRs. That was progress.

But the QB was always marginalized.

The rise of SF formats is finally changing that oversight. Even a reasonably well crafted SF league sees true parity across positions and allows championship winning teams to be crafted with a multitude of different strategies.

The problem with staying with 1QB format and jacking pass TDs from 4 to 6 points is it doesn't change the value of QBs relative to other QBs. It may make the pure passing QBs closer in value to the QBs who supplement their stats on the ground but the value gap between the #1 & #12 QB (or #12 & #24) remains almost unchanged. If anything the value gap would be smaller as you have bunched up the QB scoring even more.

But the value gap between the #1 & #12 (or #12 & #24) RB or WR should still be larger than at the QB position in this format.

I.E. you can still get a QB later who will perform closer to the top QBs.

Current scoring is:
- half PPR
- 4pt passing TD
- all other TDs 6 pts
- -2 pp INT

If that seems overvalued to you, would you mind explaining why? Honest question.
Because having a couple of the top QBs puts you at a ridiculous advantage. Plus, in a 12 or 14 team league, there simply aren't that many top QBs to go around. Hell, there aren't that many bad QBs to go around. I see lower tiered QBs being drafted ahead of stud WRs and RBs because of the fear of not having enough QBs. It's nearly impossible to trade for a top QB in SF leagues. To me that is why I say they are overvalued in SF. I do believe lowering their scoring in SF helps minimize their value to some extent. In start 1QB leagues QBs have always been traditionally undervalued and giving 4 points for a passing TD is too little in those leagues, but you're right, you still have plenty to go around in a start 1QB league.

Last edited:
First post on the forum, hello from RotoWorld!

My personal opinion is that QB isn't valued highly because people only see year end stats, rather than single game impact. Year end stats don't tell the whole story and we play the game weekly. You win the game weekly and you make the playoffs by accumulating wins.

This works both ways, because when people compare QBs like Mahomes(QB1) to a guy like Daniel Jones(QB12) what their "eyes" see is, 6 points per game difference. No big deal right? They immediately start trying to rationalize, "well if my 2nd round WR scores X points more than their 3rd round WR because they drafted QB..."
But the reality is that, in the single WEEK you play Daniel Jones vs Patrick Mahomes, in an actual fantasy matchup... Week 1, Jones scored 15. Mahomes scored 35. Your 6ppg gap that you eyeballed on a 17 week average... Is a 20 point gap in your head to head matchup. How many of you have played against a Mahomes or Allen or Hurts when they dropped 35-40 on you? What realistic chance dis you ever feel like you had to win that week?
Sure, some WR and RB can have miracle weeks, but how often does Mahomes stomp a low end QB1 by 20 in any individual week? Pretty damn often right?

Fantasy is not a season long game.
It is a weekly game, that we play 17 weeks in a row.
On average if you win 8 games (8-6) you will likely make the playoffs in competitive leagues. (Less competitive leagues tend to have more lopsided standings with Tacos at the bottom, resulting in top heavy standings)

I recommend people stop thinking about how many points their QB will score, or how many PPG they average over the competition and start asking yourself... How many fantasy matchups will this player WIN for you. Winning games is the goal, not accumulating point totals or season long stats. Fantasy football doesn't have enough 'Any Given Sunday' mentality in it. Every week matters and each player has a likelihood to win you games. You want to Moneyball the system. Stop looking at the draft board as if they were players and points, and ask yourself... How many wins will this pick get me? How many loses will they cost me? Daniel Jones might average only 6ppg less than Mahomes, but how many losses did he cost you when he scored 6.8, 9.0, 9.9, 15.0, 13.1, 14.7, 12.4, 13.5, 14.5? Sure his 36 point week is nice, but all it does is artificially raise his weekly average and trick people into thinking he isn't as far away from top QBs in a weekly format. I just laid out 9 different games that Jones probably lost you a matchup, with 15 points or less. Do you know how many weeks Mahomes scored less than 15 points in a game last season? Never.

We play a WEEKLY game. Year end stats won't help you in your matchup, and that's why I don't think they help you rank or draft players as much as people want to pretend.

The problem with staying with 1QB format and jacking pass TDs from 4 to 6 points is it doesn't change the value of QBs relative to other QBs.

This has been mathematically disproven a few times over. Sometimes it helps illustrate it, if you use a larger numbers to exaggerate the effect. Go to last season, identify whatever measurement you want for fantasy purposes, and then change TDs to 100 points each and watch how far Mahomes (QB1 41 TDs) pulls away from Geno (QB5 30TDs)

QB1 vs QB5
In Yahoo 4pt Mahomes has a 107 point lead over Geno.
In Yahoo 6pt Mahomes has a 133 point lead over Geno.
QB1 vs QB12
In Yahoo 4pt Mahomes has a 129 lead over D.Jones.
In Yahoo 6pt Mahomes has a 180 lead over D.Jones.

26 points isn't massive but it's 1.5PPG.
51 points isn't massive but now we're talking 3PPG.
3PPG in context, is the difference of having Nick Chubb (RB8 in PPG) vs DeAndre Swift (RB17 in PPG)
It's impossible to overlook these things, without completely dismantling your outlook of fantasy football. If 3PPG doesn't matter, then having an RB1 vs an RB2 doesn't matter either.

Not only does it change values relative to other QBs, it also changes QB values relative to the total scoring they account for in a basic 9 player roster.

This is before we discuss how it creates an even larger gap away from the mobile QBs who were getting 150% bonus for rushing TDs, that will cease to exist in a 6pt passing league.

Because having a couple of the top QBs puts you at a ridiculous advantage.
We come to an issue here where we need to make a distinction between redraft and keeper/dynasty formats. As well as the variable tolerances of your league mates towards trading in general.

I also think you may be speaking more towards perception than reality

In leagues where the imbalance is as dramatic as you suggest I suspect there is an issue with scoring format.

We have talked about 4/6 pts for TD passes but, IMO, more important is that many leagues still hold onto the dated valuation of rush vs pass yardage.

The traditional point per 10 rush/receiving yard and point per 20 yards passing is grossly imbalanced in 2023.

Giving a point per 50 yards passing is a quick, painless adjustment that goes a long way to fixing that imbalance. We personally do 15 yds rush/rec & 50 yds passing.

In redraft the prospect of landing two top QBs is the same as landing two top RBs and you have to make sacrifices to do it. Importantly the value gap between QB1 & QB12 is smaller than it is for RB1 & RB12.

Drafting a 3rd QB early is also a viable strategy as mid season trade bait.

Bottom line is you don't have to do a ton of tweaking to scoring to craft a SF league with parity across all positions. And it opens up many strategic possibilities to work with.

FTR if you love your 1QB format that's awesome. It's all about having fun.

I just want people to understand the concerns most often cited about SF leagues are based upon dated perceptions and not objective reality.

I forget what the scoring was but a few years ago the Scott Fish Bowl experimented with this. Perhaps they had negative points for incompletions and sacks taken, harsher negatives for ints and I think something tied into QBR, 1st downs, etc. If I remember correctly, the great QBs scored really well and the mediocre QBs were like the equivalent of starting Zay Jones. The backend starting QBs were routinely scoring negative points. At least that's how I remember it.

Current scoring is:
- half PPR
- 4pt passing TD
- all other TDs 6 pts
- -2 pp INT

Yes, the league mentioned is superflex.

In redraft the prospect of landing two top QBs is the same as landing two top RBs and you have to make sacrifices to do it. Importantly the value gap between QB1 & QB12 is smaller than it is for RB1 & RB12.
QB1 is drafted in round 3, QB12 is drafted in round 13.
RB1 is drafted 1.01, RB12 is drafted in round 2.

Obviously the value gap is smaller, they're 10 rounds apart rather than 15 picks apart.

More importantly than that, only 1 person has the chance at RB1 on draft day, whereas QB1, due to being drafted on average in the 3rd round, every team has multiple chances to land them. So we aren't really comparing RB1 vs QB1, the real world comparison is the guy drafting RB15 vs QB1 and now the discussion (and value relevance) has completely changed, wouldn't you agree?

It's not an apples to apples comparison, because ranking values without factoring in a real world draft scenario or prices is an incomplete process.

That's before we factor the reality of QB1 being significantly easier to accurately predict, whereas RB1 can not. (Statistically speaking) The value of drafting Mahomes and getting Mahomes, has to be accounted for, relative to the alternative of drafting Jonathan Taylor(RB1) and getting RB31 or RB16ppg like he was last year.

End of season stats completely devoid of draft day relevance are not fundamentally sound ways to evaluate value, or draft strategy.

Fantasy points are not the only value that can be measured in the game, especially not when discussing draft philosophy and strategies. There is inherent value in success rates, predictability, injury likelihood, competition, committees, so on and so forth.

It would be like if I told people they should draft a QB early because of how amazing Jalen Hurts was for my team last year. The logic doesn't really hold up, seeing as how Hurts was a 7th round pick, right?
Same thing would apply on the inverse of I used Josh Jacobs as an example of why you should draft RB early.

So if you really want to measure the value of RB1 to RB12, then use the guy who was drafted RB1 last year for your comparison, Jonathan Taylor, and let's see if the math still supports your thesis. Because I'll gladly do the same for last year's QB1 in ADP, circling back to predictability and how we can truly measure value, beyond just end of season points.

We play a WEEKLY game. Year end stats won't help you in your matchup, and that's why I don't think they help you rank or draft players as much as people want to pretend.
I’m in a total points league, so every point matters - but I recognize that most leagues are weekly/head to head.

In any event, welcome to the boards - always good to have new blood/perspectives 👍

As many other have said in here, I don't want fantasy football to mirror the NFL. They use the same stats otherwise they are nothing alike.

Do you not give full points to the tight end that scores a touchdown with 2 minutes left to make the score 38 - 10? Because in the NFL that score is worthless.

QB1 vs QB5
QB1 vs QB12
Okay I accept that.

I don't like your example though: why would you compare Mahomes to Smith or Jones in both scenarios? You should compare QB1 v QB5 or QB12 in both formats. It doesn't matter who's name is attached to those rankings.

Why should I care? I play in 6 dynasty leagues. No superflex but all different type formats.

If you don't like the format, change leagues. If you have a hard time converting the scoring values
of the league you are in there are websites that will help you.

The only thing that matters is what you and the other owners decide on scoring and roster.

QB1 vs QB5
QB1 vs QB12
Okay I accept that.

I don't like your example though: why would you compare Mahomes to Smith or Jones in both scenarios? You should compare QB1 v QB5 or QB12 in both formats. It doesn't matter who's name is attached to those rankings.
Okay, gap gets even wider though.

4pt Yahoo:
Mahomes (QB1) 429
Geno (QB5) 322 (-107)
Brady (QB12) 288 (-141)

6pt Yahoo:
Mahomes (QB1) 509
Geno (QB5) 376 (-133)
Jones (QB12) 328 (-181)

The real take away, that puts the claim to rest, is Mahomes vs Geno. They both had the same finish in both formats, but the gap was only 107 in one format, then jumps to 133 in the other format. That slight spread continues down the entire ranking board, but the point is, as TDs become more valuable that gap gets bigger and bigger between them, meaning Mahomes DOES become more valuable relative to the field at his own position.

These stats are from the 2 leagues I currently have access to, directly through the Yahoo app. There may be some slight discrepancies, throwing a few points here and there. (I think my 6pt league has -2 INT, but also 1 bonus point for 300 yard passing games). But they're close enough to prove my point, as the gaps get wider, top QBs do in fact become more valuable relative to their own position AND all other positions.

If you focus on Mahomes and D.Jones, it's roughly a 10 point per game advantage from QB1 to QB12. Finding a 10 point gap at the RB or WR position is so much harder. Especially when we account for the draft reality. I mean, having Saquon last year, he was a top5 RB and averages 17ppg. Your opponent would have to have a 7ppg RB for you to to feel like you were on level ground... And again, that's ignoring that you spent a 1st on Saquon (and actually hit on the RB choice) and they only spent a 3rd on Mahomes. (While actually hitting on elite QBs is pretty easy unless they have season ending injury, but that's just the nature of the NFL)

But that's a different discussion. I only wanted to dispell the notion that changing QB scoring has no relative effect because "all QBs get more points".

Last yearI decided I wanted to make passing QBs more valuable in the league I've run since 1995 . League was against 2QB or superflex so just tweaked the scoring instead.
1 point/ 20 pass yards
3 point bonus at 300 yards 5 points for 400+
5 point TD pass 6 for rushing
0.20 points per completion
3 point bonus at 25 completions
3 point bonus for 66%+ completion %
-3 for under 50% completion %
Minimum of 10 pass attempts for bonus or penalty points
-2 for int or lost fumble
0.50 points for a first down

-1 for getting sacked
It definitely widened the gap between top QBs and scrubs but maybe too much.Mainy because I didn't know that a thrown or scored TD of any distance also counted as a first down. 9/12 teams liked the changes. We are going to vote on whether to drop first down points to .0.25 or stay at 0.50.

Users who are viewing this thread