What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dolphins reportedly offer Gruden, then Harbaugh $7mm+ (1 Viewer)

PennStater77

Footballguy
Breaking on NFLN..

Gruden turned it down.. What about their current coach?

They are now meeting with Harbaugh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gruden is still being paid by the Bucs $5 million a year thru 2011. He also is making an undisclosed sum from ESPN in the broadcast booth. If he took another coaching job, he'd forfeit the free $5 million.

Gruden is still being paid by the Bucs $5 million a year thru 2011. He also is making an undisclosed sum from ESPN in the broadcast booth. If he took another coaching job, he'd forfeit the free $5 million.
He's probably got a dream job in mind. Miami just wasn't it.

Ross is a billionaire - I don't care if they offered Harbaugh 7, 8, or 20 million per year.

Does Harbaugh = Saban 2.0?

Miami is not an attractive option right now.

-You contend with the Jets/Patriots every year.

-You do not have a franchise qb in place.

-Your running backs are elderly and not dynamic.

-Your lone offensive star is a mental headcase.

There are bits and pieces on the defense but I would be more interested in taking a chance in Carolina with the top pick to rebuild.

Miami is not an attractive option right now. -You contend with the Jets/Patriots every year.-You do not have a franchise qb in place.-Your running backs are elderly and not dynamic.-Your lone offensive star is a mental headcase.There are bits and pieces on the defense but I would be more interested in taking a chance in Carolina with the top pick to rebuild.
don't discount no state income tax, and sunny weather though.

I don't get the Harbaugh for $7mil talk. What has he done ton warrant being the most coveted coaching candidate in years?

Yeah, so long as he's making a free $5 mil (from the Bucs), he isn't going to take another job. So after NEXT year (if we have one), I could see him

leaving ESPN and taking a job from whatever is available.

Raiders OC Hue Jackson set to interview with the Dolphins today to fulfill the Rooney Rule.

This is happening quickly. I'd expect Sporano to be fired today right after they interview Jackson and then a Harbaugh announcemet shortly after.

Miami is not an attractive option right now. -You contend with the Jets/Patriots every year.-You do not have a franchise qb in place.-Your running backs are elderly and not dynamic.-Your lone offensive star is a mental headcase.There are bits and pieces on the defense but I would be more interested in taking a chance in Carolina with the top pick to rebuild.
Jake Long is not a headcase.

I think its BS that a team need persmission to interview anothers teams coach but a team can interview other coaches with no problem while they have a coach under contract.

Geez.......that sounds fair

Serious question: I think Harbaugh will be a fine coach, BUT why is he this hot of a commodity? How much of this is attributed to his brother? I think he's done a great job at Stanford, but I thought Dennis Green did pretty well there himself and no one is knocking down his door anymore.

Serious question #2: Who was the last Coach to jump from NCAA to the NFL and be a true success? Someone worthy of $4M/year even and not even the reported $7M/year we're talking about here.

Jake Long is not a headcase.
Add to that - the franchise QB argument can change very quickly. Just in the past few years, Ryan in Atlanta, Freeman in TB, and Bradford in STL have all added a significant # of wins to their team totals than before they were there.

Serious question: I think Harbaugh will be a fine coach, BUT why is he this hot of a commodity? How much of this is attributed to his brother? I think he's done a great job at Stanford, but I thought Dennis Green did pretty well there himself and no one is knocking down his door anymore.Serious question #2: Who was the last Coach to jump from NCAA to the NFL and be a true success? Someone worthy of $4M/year even and not even the reported $7M/year we're talking about here.
I understand why he's a hot commodity, but I agree with you Big Marc that I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him flounder either. He's the hot commodity because he's raised a major conference program from a 1 win team to a major bowl winner, all while running a pro style offense that will produce a gem blue chip QB prospect. At the same time, he's not the usual college coach in that he's played at a high level in the NFL and knows how the NFL works, and the locker room dynamics, intimately. Unlike lifers like Spurrier, he's still young and -- to my understanding -- has never hidden the fact he considered the NFL his ultimate coaching goal.THAT SAID, I'm looking at guys like Mike Tomlin and Mike Smith and seeing hungry, smart assistants doing the job in spite of very little fanfare at the time of their hirings. Then I look at guys like Petrino, Spurrier and Saban and see terrific college programs who couldn't handle/excel at the NFL level. There's no recipe for a great NFL coaching hire, so I can't make a valid case that Harbaugh SHOULDN'T be the top guy, but the way NFL owners are stumbling all over themselves to talk to the guy does mystify me a bit.

What's the deal with Parcells?
Parcells slithered out the back door months ago.
I think its BS that a team need persmission to interview anothers teams coach but a team can interview other coaches with no problem while they have a coach under contract.Geez.......that sounds fair
Sporano has handled himself with class and is getting a raw deal here BUT when you go 1-7 AT HOME this is what happens.Harbaugh is a hot commodity based on his ability to groom/develop young QB's.Edit to add - Harbaugh also has ties to both Ross & Ireland.

I don't get the Harbaugh for $7mil talk. What has he done ton warrant being the most coveted coaching candidate in years?
I've heard on a few occasions that they wanted the sexy name and Sporano isn't it. They're trying to keep up with the Heat in Miami now. Didn't realize Harbaugh was that hot of a commodity right now either though.

I've heard on a few occasions that they wanted the sexy name and Sporano isn't it. They're trying to keep up with the Heat in Miami now. Didn't realize Harbaugh was that hot of a commodity right now either though.
I guess they are looking at it as a "return on investment" type deal. If the Fins get the hottest coach out there then maybe it would put people in the seats in the short term and if he is actually good then its a great risk/reward situation.

I guess they are looking at it as a "return on investment" type deal. If the Fins get the hottest coach out there then maybe it would put people in the seats in the short term and if he is actually good then its a great risk/reward situation.
I was going to ask if people weren't "in the seats" now, but a quick check did show that Miami only had 90% average attendance this year. That's surprisingly bad and among the worst in the league.

He went 28-21 at Stanford...Randy Shannon went 26-23 while at Miami...amazing what a couple more wins will get you. I know the siutations were not the same.Miami is one of the most undesirable places to coach right now for alot of the reasons listed. New England is starting a new dyansty run this year...good luck.

I just don't get it. The owners aren't making enough money, so they need to lock out the players and renegoitate the cba but have enough to throw 7 million at a unproven coach.

I just don't get it. The owners aren't making enough money, so they need to lock out the players and renegoitate the cba but have enough to throw 7 million at a unproven coach.
Let's not mix metaphors. The Dolphins new owner is a legitimate billionaire, and has a reputation for wanting to be a high profile owner. What he chooses to spend on a coach is a rounding error compared to what the league's ownership collective is debating right now.

Let's not mix metaphors. The Dolphins new owner is a legitimate billionaire, and has a reputation for wanting to be a high profile owner. What he chooses to spend on a coach is a rounding error compared to what the league's ownership collective is debating right now.
Sorry, but still don't get it. If they are going to make this decission as a whole then each of their actions are going to effect them as a whole. But I admit, I'm just the common fan and don't fully understand the whole deal.

Serious question: I think Harbaugh will be a fine coach, BUT why is he this hot of a commodity? How much of this is attributed to his brother? I think he's done a great job at Stanford, but I thought Dennis Green did pretty well there himself and no one is knocking down his door anymore.Serious question #2: Who was the last Coach to jump from NCAA to the NFL and be a true success? Someone worthy of $4M/year even and not even the reported $7M/year we're talking about here.
I understand why he's a hot commodity, but I agree with you Big Marc that I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him flounder either. He's the hot commodity because he's raised a major conference program from a 1 win team to a major bowl winner, all while running a pro style offense that will produce a gem blue chip QB prospect. At the same time, he's not the usual college coach in that he's played at a high level in the NFL and knows how the NFL works, and the locker room dynamics, intimately. Unlike lifers like Spurrier, he's still young and -- to my understanding -- has never hidden the fact he considered the NFL his ultimate coaching goal.THAT SAID, I'm looking at guys like Mike Tomlin and Mike Smith and seeing hungry, smart assistants doing the job in spite of very little fanfare at the time of their hirings. Then I look at guys like Petrino, Spurrier and Saban and see terrific college programs who couldn't handle/excel at the NFL level. There's no recipe for a great NFL coaching hire, so I can't make a valid case that Harbaugh SHOULDN'T be the top guy, but the way NFL owners are stumbling all over themselves to talk to the guy does mystify me a bit.
There probably is a recipe but it cannot be casually or statistically observed. It likely involves personal traits and habits that you can only discover from day-to-day observation.

Yeah, so long as he's making a free $5 mil (from the Bucs), he isn't going to take another job. So after NEXT year (if we have one), I could see himleaving ESPN and taking a job from whatever is available.
I'm not sure of the rules, but can't they work around that if they really wanted to? Why not offer him $12MM for this year (they'll pay $7MM and the Bucs $5MM or whatever it is), then it goes down to $7MM for the rest of the deal?

A complete moron of an owner who just happens to be a great business man. He has made going to Dolphins games a thing of the past for me. What he has done inside the stadium is a joke. It is a friggin circus now. What he is faling to do is clean his front office as well. Jeff Ireland is a tool. The guy passed on Dez Bryant. The guy along (with Parcells who is a fraud of a front office guy himself) passed on Hakeem Nicks, passed on Matt Ryan when the Dolphins had the number one pick for only the second time in franchise history. I love Jake Long, the guy is an amazing LT and the best in the league but whrn you start a team over....QB is where you start. We blew it. This team has been blowing it since Shula was ran out of town.Oh how people forget. We had it made in the shade with Shula and Marino. yeah we never won a title but we got high quality football, 100% effort, and we were always a very competitve team.I have been a disgusted Dolphins fan going on 16 years. We are always 2 steps behind.....always. Until this team get's a legit QB (like so many other struggling teams) nothing will matter, and no coach will turn this around. Hopefully if we land Harbough he will be the guy that can develop a young QB to be the player we need.And we better draft Ingram if he is available at 15. We must get another playmaker on offense besides Marshall who is still a top elite talent. Our OL is a mess. We need a Center in the worst way.We are not far away. Even though we blew it not taking Dez (insane we passed him...just insane) Odrick IMO will be a solid pro on the DL. Our defense is a good FS away from being a killer unit. We have very good CB's, a good LB crew and a upstart DL.Focus on the offensive side of the ball this offseason.A few key free agent signings and get a veteran FS in here. Hell if Carson Palmer or Kyle Orton are available...get them down here while we hopefully develop a young QB or wait till we get a better draft position (to grab a good QB prospect) or big free agent QB (which are far and few inbetween).But it's all about the QB. Tony is a good coach, but the team has turned on him. His front office failed him in not taking Ryan...hind sight is 20/20...but it was a huge mistake. It set us back another 3 years.

And we better draft Ingram if he is available at 15. We must get another playmaker on offense besides Marshall who is still a top elite talent. Our OL is a mess. We need a Center in the worst way.
You made some decent points until this one, you don't take a RB in the first round unless you come across an ADP, Ingram is a good back but no where near a sure fire stud, at times he's only the second best back on his team. Gee, remind of anyone else from a school in Alabama ? Was Ronnie worth the #2 overall pick looking back ? Frank Gore went to start the 3rd round and we passed on Aaron Rodgers in the first.

And we better draft Ingram if he is available at 15. We must get another playmaker on offense besides Marshall who is still a top elite talent. Our OL is a mess. We need a Center in the worst way.
You made some decent points until this one, you don't take a RB in the first round unless you come across an ADP, Ingram is a good back but no where near a sure fire stud, at times he's only the second best back on his team. Gee, remind of anyone else from a school in Alabama ? Was Ronnie worth the #2 overall pick looking back ? Frank Gore went to start the 3rd round and we passed on Aaron Rodgers in the first.
I hear ya. I still think Ingram has elite skills. But more so we need a blue chip star player on offense whether it is a RB, QB or WR we need a playmaker at a skill position badly.

Agreed. When your brother has the prime example of a great situation in Baltimore, I don't know how he can consider ruining his NFL coaching career by going to a mess like Miami. He's still young; wait for the right opportunity.

So is the report:

A) Miami offered Gruden $7M/year, and is now moving to Harbaugh to talk

or

B) Miami offered BOTH Gruden and Harbaugh $7M/year?

Tony is a good coach, but the team has turned on him. His front office failed him in not taking Ryan...hind sight is 20/20...but it was a huge mistake. It set us back another 3 years.
I could be totally off base here, but I'd bet he shares a portion of the blame on that one. Sparano was the O-line coach here in Dallas for a while, so I doubt he was complaining too much about Long. Plus, weren't they (Ireland, Sparano & Parcells) all sort of a package deal when they came to Miami?

The last one I can think of was Jimmy Johnson, who went from Miami to Dallas in 1988. That's a long time ago though. There have been a lot of failed College gurus transferring the NFL in that time.I am not saying Harbaugh won't succeed, but I am not convinced he is 'all that' either. The fact that he is a former NFL player is probably part of the reason, but there are plenty of failed former players (see Big Mike Singletary).

Yeah, so long as he's making a free $5 mil (from the Bucs), he isn't going to take another job. So after NEXT year (if we have one), I could see himleaving ESPN and taking a job from whatever is available.
I'm not sure of the rules, but can't they work around that if they really wanted to? Why not offer him $12MM for this year (they'll pay $7MM and the Bucs $5MM or whatever it is), then it goes down to $7MM for the rest of the deal?
That's not how it works. For $5MM or more, the entire contract would be paid by the team he goes to. If he accepts a deal for $3MM, the new team would pay $3MM and TB would be on the hook for the remaining $2MM.

There are bits and pieces on the defense but I would be more interested in taking a chance in Carolina with the top pick to rebuild.
Agreed. When your brother has the prime example of a great situation in Baltimore, I don't know how he can consider ruining his NFL coaching career by going to a mess like Miami. He's still young; wait for the right opportunity.
I don't get the sentiments that this team is a mess. They went 7-9 against a touch schedule with glaring problems at QB, OC, and HC. Miami doesn't have nearly as many holes as other teams do.

That's not how it works. For $5MM or more, the entire contract would be paid by the team he goes to. If he accepts a deal for $3MM, the new team would pay $3MM and TB would be on the hook for the remaining $2MM.
Makes sense, figured there had to be a reason why it's not done. I'd stay out of it for another year then as well.

If I am Gruden or Harbough why would I talk to the Dolphins while they still have a coach? Seems to be the Phins are handling this horribly; fire Sporano if you want to move in a different direction, don't interview people while he is still employed. This seems incredibly bush league, and if I'm one of the guys I'm interviewing, it would cross my mind that they could be doing this exact same thing to me in a few years; openly interviewing people while I'm still their coach.

I don't get the sentiments that this team is a mess. They went 7-9 against a touch schedule with glaring problems at QB, OC, and HC. Miami doesn't have nearly as many holes as other teams do.
I just don't see a solid organizational structure in place. If Harbaugh can come in with his own GM and no owner meddling, then it's a much better situation. But isn't the word that Ireland is staying?

Agreed- what is the "right opportunity" anyway? Teams that do well most likely aren't going to be looking for a new coach. Miami may not be the perfect spot, but I can think of a LOT worse.

:popcorn: I don't get it either?

Very young on the defensive side of the ball? Yes

In a tough division? yes

Need to find a franchise QB? Yes

A mess? I don't think so

I hear ya. I still think Ingram has elite skills. But more so we need a blue chip star player on offense whether it is a RB, QB or WR we need a playmaker at a skill position badly.
If we had a good QB, I think our RB and WR stable would look a hell of a lot better. I don't see the point in spending another top pick on a RB just to face 8 in the box or investing in another receiver that our QB can't get the ball to. I would much rather us go for a C than either of those two positions as well.

If we had a good QB, I think our RB and WR stable would look a hell of a lot better. I don't see the point in spending another top pick on a RB just to face 8 in the box or investing in another receiver that our QB can't get the ball to. I would much rather us go for a C than either of those two positions as well.
If I were the Dolphins, and I had no chance at any of the blue chip QB rookies that will be available, I would be taking the highest rated RB or WR. Sign or go get a veteran caretaker for a year like Carson Palmer or Kyle Orton. Big Time playmakers are in short supply on this team. Ricky Williams is done as a feature back and Ronnie Brown never became a feature back on this team. They are both goners. Get playmakers. We need skill position players badly. Team up antoher great WR with Marshall and move Bess to the slot where he should be. Or get a big time RB in here. We need one in the worst way. This team is agony to watch. they have not had an entertainig product since 1994.Yeah it's been that long. It's painful to watch this team play.Friggin entertain me. That's what we pay them for. If your going to lose...at lose with some style. LOL.

Schefter on ESPN just said the 'sources around the league expect Harbaugh to be the next Dolphins coach, at an NFL-record salary'.

I just don't see a solid organizational structure in place. If Harbaugh can come in with his own GM and no owner meddling, then it's a much better situation. But isn't the word that Ireland is staying?
I don't disagree with you, and Ireland has made some questionable calls. I guess my point is that, for the most part, Miami has a solid group of players. A coach that the team won't turn on and knows how to run an offense(unlike Sporano/Henning) could do quite a lot with the talent already in place. I think that situation has to be attractive to a coach like Harbaugh, and I'm glad the owner is doing whatever it takes to get a better coach in place.

Users who are viewing this thread