What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Don't sleep on Donte Moncrief: Draft Day steal (2 Viewers)

Not practicing again today.

Wouldn't play him this week anyways @MN and even if healthy his floor is super low minus TDs.

Next week's matchup is @OAK. Much better, but who knows if he'll be healthy.

Considering dropping. Must win in the semis and next week may as well be a year from now. At minimum, I could drop, block my opponent, and maybe pick him up next week.

I don't trust his hammy acting up...and if Moncrief doesn't get a TD,your basically screwed if you start him..I'm benching him and starting either Snead,Meredith, Inman over him,I might even go with Ginn over Moncrief too..I 

Anybody using him?  TD machine when he plays. I might swap him in for S Smith, tempted. 
I have him in right now over Crowder and E. Rogers in a big $ league, but I'm thinking about switching him out for Rogers. Moncrief is so due to have a bust out game with a long play or two.

I feel I should go the safe route and play Snead over Moncrief since I like my overall match ups over my opponent's.  If I was in need of a big day but with more risk, I would play Moncrief.  Moncrief = higher ceiling and higher risk.  Snead = lower risk, but a higher floor.

Are people ready to admit he is over hyped? He scores TDs, but in dyno ppr? I am looking elsewhere, he is not their WR1 type. Hilton is a the big play guy and possession wr, they need a possession wr to help Hilton and him stretch the field. Moncrief is not that.

Are people ready to admit he is over hyped? He scores TDs, but in dyno ppr? I am looking elsewhere, he is not their WR1 type. Hilton is a the big play guy and possession wr, they need a possession wr to help Hilton and him stretch the field. Moncrief is not that.
IDK.  If anything, I still think he is undervalued from a talent/potential production perspective.  He can be a WR1.  I just don't think the Colts have shown they can support two WR1s

IDK.  If anything, I still think he is undervalued from a talent/potential production perspective.  He can be a WR1.  I just don't think the Colts have shown they can support two WR1s
3 years in and he averages 35 yards a game. At what point is potential replaced by actual results? The Colts threw for more yards than 26 other teams. If they cant support 2 WRs, most teams cant. 

His dyno PPR ADP is around WR23. That seems fair.

This is a good point. Colts ranked 14th in passes, but 24th in WR targets. Maybe that will shift if Moncrief can stay healthy, but that's still a bit low to support two WR1s. FWIW, the Jets did it in 2015 while ranking 12th in passes, so it's within the realm of possibility. 

It's way too early to give up on Moncrief. He's still only 23 years old, younger than some of the rookies who will be drafted in April. He missed a good chunk of the season last year, so I'll give him a pass for 2016. I'm expecting 1,000/10 this season from Moncrief. 

With Luck averaging around 4,500 passing yards and 30 TDs a season when he's healthy - it would seem to fall more on Moncrief than the offense's ability to support two top WRs.

With Luck averaging around 4,500 passing yards and 30 TDs a season when he's healthy - it would seem to fall more on Moncrief than the offense's ability to support two top WRs.
I think Moncrief scored a TD in every game he wasn't hurt in last season (7 of 9).  Missed a big chunk of time early with the shoulder and had a nagging injury down the stretch.  As someone said, he is only 23.  He is also paired with one of the leagues better QBs and their offense could improve with better line play.  He isn't his team's #1 but he does possess a nice size/speed combination.

I think he is a hold; Maybe even a buy low opportunity.

Who got the RZ targets last year? FWIR Allen got a heap of targets (when healthy) much like Moncrief. Not sure how Doyle faired in that department

I think Moncrief scored a TD in every game he wasn't hurt in last season (7 of 9).  Missed a big chunk of time early with the shoulder and had a nagging injury down the stretch.  As someone said, he is only 23.  He is also paired with one of the leagues better QBs and their offense could improve with better line play.  He isn't his team's #1 but he does possess a nice size/speed combination.

I think he is a hold; Maybe even a buy low opportunity.
I'm not trying to bash Moncrief. I would tend to agree he'd be a nice "buy low" target, although I doubt he's valued that way. I was really only responding to some one that blamed the offense on Moncrief's production.

I'm not trying to bash Moncrief. I would tend to agree he'd be a nice "buy low" target, although I doubt he's valued that way. I was really only responding to some one that blamed the offense on Moncrief's production.
I didn't think that was the case.  Just trying to put some positive perspective on a lost year.  The community can be a little too "what have you done for me lately"...

I didn't think that was the case.  Just trying to put some positive perspective on a lost year.  The community can be a little too "what have you done for me lately"...
More like "what have you done for me ever"?

He's had 3 years playing on one of the top passing offenses in the league and he's done nothing.   That's not to say he won't ever, but he's being treated like a guy that has.

And he has an ADP ahead of Kelvin Benjamin and Randall Cobb, who both much better fit what you're describing.

Last edited by a moderator:
54% catch rate despite a low yards per route run while playing alongside one of the better QBs in the league.

The upside is enticing because of who his QB is but there are rarely guys ranked this high with THIS many red flags.  Total lack of production in 3 years alongside a great QB.  Very poor efficiency numbers.  Team used an early pick to try and find an alternative.  Unable to separate despite a complete lack of other viable passing options on the team beyond Hilton.

Weren't there reports that Indy was going hard after Alshon too?

I'm in the buy low camp here. I think some of his efficiency issues are tied to his injuries and not getting as many practice/offseason reps with Luck, even for a three year guy. His value is really low IMO. I just got him straight up for TJ Yeldon for instance.  

I'm in the buy low camp here. I think some of his efficiency issues are tied to his injuries and not getting as many practice/offseason reps with Luck, even for a three year guy. His value is really low IMO. I just got him straight up for TJ Yeldon for instance.  
Well yeah at that price he is a buy.  I think that is probably an outlier though.  In startup drafts right now though he's WR25 just behind Demaryius Thomas and Mike Williams (R), and ahead of Benjamin, Shepard, etc.

Compared to RBs he's coming off the board ahead of Derrick Henry, Carlos Hyde, Mark Ingram.

Last edited by a moderator:
FreeBaGeL said:
More like "what have you done for me ever"?

He's had 3 years playing on one of the top passing offenses in the league and he's done nothing.   That's not to say he won't ever, but he's being treated like a guy that has.

And he has an ADP ahead of Kelvin Benjamin and Randall Cobb, who both much better fit what you're describing.
Rookie Season at 21 years old.

Second season was 60+ catches for about 700 yards and Luck only played in 7 games.  Line was a shambles; Luck got killed.  Not a bad progression, production wise, for Donte.

Third season, Moncrief missed 7 games, plus parts of others, still scored 7 TDs. 

For what its worth, Moncrief's career has closely tracked Cobbs to date;  Very similar rookie seasons; Cobb had a comparable but better sophomore season and the third season of both players were injury plagued.   Cobb really broke out in his 4th season.

I can't say if Moncrief is ever going to excel.  The stars haven't been aligned so far but I think he has talent, youth and opportunity on his side.  I'm not claiming he will set the world on fire, just saying there may be reasons for the down season - called him a "hold" in keeper/dynasty formats or possibly a buy low.  People focus all too often on the rookie crop and guys like Moncrief can present good value.  However, I can understand if the cost in your league drives you away. 

FTR; I like Moncrief better than Shepard for 2017.  Not sure there are enough balls with Beckham, Marshall, and potentially another TE and productive RB in the mix.  I'd slot Moncrief AFTER Derrick Henry but before Hyde.

I was so excited for him last year. He was a guy I just had to get. Unless his ADP slides, I can't invest again.
I have bought in every year so far and been beyond dissapointed...He would have to drop pretty much to the end of the draft before i take him this year.

He is 23 years old with size, speed, and a great young QB on a team with a mediocre defense.  He was hurt for 7 games last year.  Its a bit too soon to be this down on him in my opinion.  I am still cautiously optimistic.
There are definitely things to like but last year, even when he played, he was the equivalent of a mediocre TE. He's been totally TD dependent.

He is 23 years old with size, speed, and a great young QB on a team with a mediocre defense.  He was hurt for 7 games last year.  Its a bit too soon to be this down on him in my opinion.  I am still cautiously optimistic.
I agree.  However the repeated chances and failures are not inspiring.  He's in the last year of his rookie deal so it's likely his last chance.

What guys can we think of that had this many chances in a great situation and finally turned it around and lived up to the hype in year 4?  Not guys that got their opportunity then, rather guys that had already had it, failed multiple times, and somehow still got another chance and ended up working out.

Users who are viewing this thread