What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DT Aaron Donald, LAR (2 Viewers)

He will eat up bigger slow OG's. And you can't double team him because of behemoth Brockers next to him and Quinn. Long doesn't require doubles. So there's basically 3 guys on the Rams DL that need doubles. Going to be a fun year.

He will eat up bigger slow OG's. And you can't double team him because of behemoth Brockers next to him and Quinn. Long doesn't require doubles. So there's basically 3 guys on the Rams DL that need doubles. Going to be a fun year.
Yeah, this Dline is going to be unreal. Donald landed is a best possible situation IMO. Having Brickers and Quinn next to him is going to alow him to penetrate rush nearly all the time.

No disrespect to Donald- love the motor and skill level- think he will be a pro bowl caliber player, but Clowney is going to dominate from day one. He was, and still is, the best player in this draft class.

No disrespect to Donald- love the motor and skill level- think he will be a pro bowl caliber player, but Clowney is going to dominate from day one. He was, and still is, the best player in this draft class.
how's he doing in camp? Natural talent, Clowney could be a top 5 player.

@NickMensio: Aaron Donald is wreaking havoc. Easily has a couple sacks and shot through the gap for a 4-yard loss in goal-line defense. #RamsScrimmage

Rams training camp: Bradford, offense backed by beastly defense

Excerpt:

Donald to boost already stellar D: A year ago at this time I had a pretty good hunch a defensive tackle, of all positions, was going to be the NFL's defensive rookie of the year. I was correct, as the Jets' Sheldon Richardson had a beastly season and was deserving of the accolade. This year, I'd put my money on Rams rookie defensive lineman Aaron Donald.

The first-round pick arrived here already a man, ready to make immediate impact despite playing such a demanding position, and he hasn't disappointed. New defensive coordinator Gregg Williams will put this kid in a position to thrive, and with so much talent around him on the defensive line, the Rams might get as much A-gap pressure as any team in the league. Rams brass still can't believe Donald made it out of the top 10 picks, and look for him to boost to an already powerful group.

"He's absolutely a very polished rookie in pass rush," said Chris Long, a monster pass rusher himself. "One of the most polished rookies I've ever seen as far as his technique.

Somebody along the line coached him up pretty well. We were sitting in the room the other day watching film, and I said to him, 'Who taught you to watch film and play with technique?' Not all kids coming in have that."

Donald began turning heads upon his arrival at offseason work, and he hasn't stopped making jaws drop. He's been a bear to handle in individual drills, and with Long, Robert Quinn (maybe the game's best pass rusher) and Michael Brockers around him, this might be the best 4-3 front in the NFL. The scariest part is that none of them has fully reached his prime.

"He's been all you could hope for," Fisher said of Donald. "You always wonder, 'Well, let's see what happens when the pads come on.' He is the real deal. He adds production to an already productive group."

Last edited by a moderator:
A Secret Shutdown Corner, An Untouchable Quarterback, and the Man Who Is Outplaying J.J. Watt…

Excerpt:

Donald might be better than Watt this year

So this is the least plausible of the five. I agree it’s a stretch to think that anyone can be better than the player we’ve selected as the best in football three years in succession.

That said, the way Donald is playing is at a minimum on par with last year’s Watt and certainly better so far.

After two games we’ve graded him at +18.0 with Watt (who had a very un-Watt like game against the Panthers) +8.6. Watt has 10 QB disruptions (sacks, hits and hurries) and Donald eight.

Against the run it’s a similar story—both have six stops (tackles considered a loss for the offense) with Donald having a slightly higher rate, 11.8% against 10.7%.

So if the numbers are saying they are similar, why is Donald so far ahead on grade?

Because watching tape allows you to evaluate things you can’t do with numbers. Donald is getting positive grades for the disruption he’s causing that others benefit from. Watt is too, obviously, but at the moment not quite to that extent.

tommyGunZ said:
Good call by LawFitz
Amazing call. I hate this thread because it reminds me of when the Lions did not take AD. It was such an obvious pick and they took a TE instead. We might have been a SB team last year and we might actually be competitive this year if we had taken AD.

Does Clowney play football? I guess it wasn't close after all.
AD is good that it doesn't even matter what anyone else does.
I was referring to the "not even close" ers from the first page and how Clowney was this generational stud. Has he played a game yet?
I think so, but my point was just that AD is so good that it really doesn't matter what anyone does. AD is playing at the level of an all time great.

Aaron Donald, DT, St. Louis Rams (18)

Dethroning J.J. Watt from atop of the PFF Top 101 takes some serious production. Coming into this season, Watt was the No. 1 name on the list for three straight years following his breakout sophomore campaign, and it looked like he would remain there as long as he stayed on the field. For Aaron Donald to force himself into the same kind of echelon already in his career is truly staggering.

Donald was the highest-graded interior defender in the league, and in his second season—just like Watt—he pushed that grade into the stratosphere. The Rams’ star may not have posted the kind of numbers Watt did, but Donald played exclusively inside as a defensive tackle, whereas Watt has become a true edge rusher, a position that typically generates far better stats than their interior teammates. Donald still ended the season with 79 total pressures and 51 defensive stops, and actually gained more pressure on a per-rush basis than the Texan.

Donald may have the quickest first step in the game among linemen, and was a constant presence in the backfield of offenses, blowing up plays against the run and pass with frightening regularity. He may not have the ideal size that teams look for, but there was no better NFL player in 2015.

Best performance: Week 1 versus Seattle: +10.7

Key stat: Aaron Donald was the highest-graded player in the NFL last season (99.9 on PFF’s new 1–100 scale).

John Randle is listed at 6'1" 287 lbs.

Geno Atkins 6'1" 303 lbs. (288 lbs. at Senior Bowl, 293 lbs. at combine). Perhaps Donald adds 10 lbs. in a few years?

You are right, some other "undersized" DTs that came to mind were 6'2".

Warren Sapp 6'2" 300 lbs.

La'Roi Glover 6'2" 290 lbs.
Donald is going to be All-Pro for many years like Randle.

Great call by the OP
In terms of touting Donald, absolutely. If we're evaluating who the best player in the 2014 draft has turned out to be, I'd say it's a very close race between Donald, OBJ and Mack, with Zack Martin a shade below and Clowney an outside shot to overtake them (especially this year as the last man standing on the Houston D).

I think if you're redrafting that class today, Mack still goes first based on the importance of his position, which is not the same thing as saying he's the best player.

I'm sorry dude you're awesome but WAT! Go back and watch Donalds tape please. He is in the backfield every play. He uses speed, power, technique. He has it all. He's an inch short (that's it) but his arms are plenty long enough. His height did not stop him from being elite on the field this year either. I agree Clowney is the most valuable prospect in this draft and I also agree it's not really close but it's because of the position Clowney plays. Aaron Donald is special. Best DT I've seen in a while.
nailed it

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports some people in the league believe Aaron Donald "will not play another down on his existing contract."

Reports like this are usually just negotiation tactics, but Donald has legitimate reasons to be angry after watching the Rams hand out big deals to both Brandin Cooks and Todd Gurley. Donald will lose an accrued season for free agency if he does not report by August 7, meaning he would be a restricted free agent after the season, but Ian Rapoport reports that date is inconsequential to both sides. As it stands, Donald is scheduled to make $6.892 million in the final year of his rookie deal.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Jul 26 - 8:11 AM

Player Pos. Team Grade
1 Jadeveon Clowney DE Texans 98
2 Greg Robinson OT Rams 97
3 Blake Bortles QB Jaguars 91
4 Sammy Watkins WR Bills 96
5 Khalil Mack -- Raiders 96
6 Jake Matthews OT Falcons 95
7 Mike Evans WR Buccaneers 94
8 Justin Gilbert -- Browns 91
9 Anthony Barr -- Vikings 90
10 Eric Ebron TE Lions 92
11 Taylor Lewan OT Titans 94
12 Odell Beckham Jr. WR Giants 93
13 Aaron Donald DT Rams 94
14 Kyle Fuller -- Bears 92
15 Ryan Shazier -- Steelers 92
16 Zack Martin OT Cowboys 93
17 C.J. Mosley ILB Ravens 92
18 Calvin Pryor -- Jets 91
19 Ja'Wuan James OT Dolphins 80
20 Brandin Cooks WR Saints 91
21 Ha Ha Clinton-Dix -- Packers 92
22 Johnny Manziel QB Browns 90
23 Dee Ford DE Chiefs 89
24 Darqueze Dennard -- Bengals 92
25 Jason Verrett -- Chargers 90
26 Marcus Smith DE Eagles 70
27 Deone Bucannon -- Cardinals 86
28 Kelvin Benjamin WR Panthers 75
29 Dominique Easley DT Patriots 77
30 Jimmie Ward -- 49ers 84
31 Bradley Roby -- Broncos 89
32 Teddy Bridgewater QB Vikings 89

Great day for my Browns, picking #9 and #22!

Users who are viewing this thread