What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DT Aaron Donald, LAR (1 Viewer)

He's not who you might think. He's not Clowny, Mack, Watkins or Robinson. He's not Matthews, and he most certainly isn't Blake effing Bortles. The best player in this year's draft is an undersized DT named Aaron Donald.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3YKvx6LcBs

AD will be a force at the next level at either 3-tech or 5-tech. Where he lacks in size (6'0'' 285) he makes up for with strength, leverage, quickness, technique and instinct. It's ridiculous that this guy likely won't go in the top ten. Someone is going to get a steal in the mid-to-late first round with AD. Health permitting, he's got many pro bowls ahead. He will be a top-five NFL 3- or 5-tech within three years.

:IMHO:

Great call Fitz.

They used about 30 seconds of their allotted 10 minutes to run up to the podium and announce they were taking a TE at 1.10. OBJ went 1.12 and AD 1.13

Would have been hard to keep that team together though. The biggest obstacle to the Stafford rebuild is both Matthew (1st overall) and Suh (2nd overall) got massive open market rookie deals. Everything changed in 2011 with the restructuring of the rookie pay scale. Put Detroit at a massive competitive disadvantage.

True, getting those high picks 3 years in a row destroyed the Lions cap. Calvin was #3 overall as well.

Rams DL Aaron Donald was noncommittal when asked if he was considering retirement following the Rams' Super Bowl LVI victory over the Bengals. 

“I’m just in the moment right now,” Donald said. “I’m going to enjoy this with my teammates, my family. I’m just going to be in the moment and enjoy this today, or for a couple of days. This is a blessing.” In other words, not exactly a no after NBC's Michele Tafoya and Rodney Harrison reported during the game that the 30-year-old would consider hanging it up if the Rams won. Donald was a force of nature in the second half of the Rams' Lombardi-lifter, caving in the Bengals' offensive line on one critical snap after another. We hope he doesn't do it, but Donald would truly be going out on top. 

SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

Feb 14, 2022, 12:14 AM ET

Dominant performance last night.  Dude is a monster.

I hope he doesn't hang it up.  But if he does, what a career.

You just knew on that last play, 4th down and short, Bengals gotta go for it, he was going to do whatever it took to disrupt that play and at least get a pressure on Burrow.  He saved his best game for the biggest stage, and was just a menace all night long.  Truly a beast out there. 

All-Pro 7 of his 8 years in the NFL

11, 20.5, 12.5, 13.5, 12.5 his last seasons Sack Totals

Sits on 98 career sacks, can't imagine him not wanting to push that over 100. 

-He not only made those final 2 plays to seal the Super Bowl victory but he also STOPPED Cinci on the 3rd down in the Red Zone after the Bengals had scored on the 75-yd TD from Tee Higgins and then also intercepted Stafford and were on the verge of opening a double digit lead until Donald put a stop to it with a sack. 

-I always thought Warren Sapp was one of the best I ever saw at DT, had to double team almost every time but Donald blows him off the field and has a much better technique. 

-Suh is another great one from this era, 4x All-Pro and could be a future Hall of Fame inductee although he is also known as a bend the rules and dirty player, Donald to my knowledge is never characterized that way. 

Easily the best I have ever seen at the DT position.  

PFF@PFF·20h

Highest-graded Interior Defender by season since 2014: 

2021 - Aaron Donald - 93.5 
2020 - Aaron Donald - 94.2
2019 - Aaron Donald - 93.6
2018 - Aaron Donald - 94.8
2017 - Aaron Donald - 94.4
2016 - Aaron Donald - 92.6
2015 - Aaron Donald - 92.9
2014 - Aaron Donald - 90.2

Speaking at the Rams' championship parade Wednesday, Aaron Donald sounded like he is planning to continue his playing career.

After a few hours (days?) of drinking and celebrating, Donald stepped to the podium at the conclusion of the Rams' Super Bowl parade. With Donald on the mic, coach Sean McVay started a "Run it back!" chant, and Donald agreed, asking, "Why not run it back?" Neither McVay nor Donald sounded like they were seriously considering retirement. For now, all we have to go off of is what these guys are saying in the moment. We'd be surprised if Donald ultimately hangs up his cleats at 30 years old.

SOURCE: Jourdan Rodrigue on Twitter

Feb 16, 2022, 3:51 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Rams could restructure Aaron Donald's contract to give him "a big raise" in 2022. 

Donald has three years remaining on his deal with LA and is scheduled to make $14.2 million in 2022. Should Donald return to the team after talking openly about retirement, Rapoport said the team would take a "long, hard look" at the all-pro's contract in hopes to boosting his 2022 pay. Donald at the Rams' Super Bowl Parade last month started a "run it back" chant, fueling speculation he'll return as the centerpiece of LA's defense. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 5, 2022, 5:15 PM ET

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports "there has been progress" on an extension for Rams DT Aaron Donald. 

With Matthew Stafford now playing on a new deal, the Rams can shift their focus to getting Donald paid. Donald is under contract through 2024, but there were rumors that he mulled retirement following LA's Super Bowl victory. A new contract would certainly push those thoughts to the back of his head for a few more seasons. With a few mega-deals getting inked in recent years, Donald has fallen outside of the top-five in average salary among pass-rushers. Expect the Rams to correct that for a living legend in LA sports and one of the best interior defenders to ever play the game. Donald has been voted First-Team All-Pro in seven straight seasons and has at least a dozen sacks in each of his past four campaigns.

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

Mar 19, 2022, 4:56 PM ET

Donald has fallen outside of the top-five in average salary among pass-rushers. Expect the Rams to correct that for a living legend in LA sports and one of the best interior defenders to ever play the game. Donald has been voted First-Team All-Pro in seven straight seasons and has at least a dozen sacks in each of his past four campaigns.

Rams head coach Sean McVay said Aaron Donald will return to the team in 2022. 

The Rams are working with Donald on a contract extension that should keep him in LA for the long term. McVay said Tuesday that he feels "really good about Aaron’s excitement about coming back and continuing to lead the way for us." This should end speculation that Donald, following the Rams' Super Bowl victory, would hang it up and leave a massive hole in the LA defense. The league's best defensive player will stay put as the Rams make a run at back-to-back championships. 

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk.com 

Mar 29, 2022, 11:10 AM ET

Draft Profile - Aaron Donald, DT Pittsburg

5.90 Average Backup Or Special-Teamer

Short, scrappy, instinctive, highly productive defensive lineman who does not look the part, but inspires confidence he can be an exception to the rule. Is the type you root for and has the quickness, athleticism and motor to earn a spot as a rotational three-technique in a fast-flowing 4-3 scheme.

Strengths

• Quick off the snap
  • Natural leverage
  • Gets under pads and into gaps
  • Good foot athlete -- redirects well and can work the edges and loop and stunt
  • Flexible enough to zone drop in short area
  • Plays with awareness and consistently locates the ball
  • Closes hard and fast
  • Keeps working to the ball
  • Disruptive penetrating ability
  • Outstanding career production -- 63 TFL and 27.5 sacks the last three seasons
  • Tough and competitive
  • Team captain with terrific personal and football character
Weaknesses

• Marginal height and frame is nearly maxed out
  • Hands are more active than strong -- could play with more pop and power
  • Overpowered in the run game and ground up by double teams
  • Gets snared and controlled by bigger, longer blockers
  • Not a two-gap player
  • Has some tweener traits -- lacks ideal length and bend to play outside
By Nolan Nawrocki, NFL Analyst

Draft Projection: Rounds 4-5

Suspension coming for Donald? (Bills fan hoping)
Practices are governed by teams. The league has no authority to punish players for stuff that happens at practices, even joint ones.

And I think we know the odds of the Rams suspending their best player…

ETA: that was a wild fight though and crazy dangerous swinging helmets at guys like he was doing. I hope the Bills never have a joint practice ever again after the non-sense of joint practices this summer.

Two years in a row Rams (and my dude Donald, in particular) have a brawl break out during joint practices.

On one hand, the rules state that the NFL has no authority over what happens at practice. On the other hand they have clear guidelines that every player must follow.
Who knows if they will address this with the top star defensive player on the cusp of the season or not.
No one knows.
---------------------
Pete Smith
@_PeteSmith_

"Conduct by anyone in the league that is illegal, violent, dangerous, or irresponsible puts innocent victims at risk, damages the reputation of others in the game, and undercuts public respect and support for the NFL."

It's not as easily seen because Myles Garrett had 59 cameras all pointed on him when he took off Mason Rudolph's helmet on Monday Night Football. This might not be a popular take but if Donald did act like this or anyone on that field, even a 1-2 game suspension would not be out of line, in fact some fans would think that might be a little light.

-It does seem like 2022, camp scrimmages between 2 NFL teams, been a lot of fighting.

If I want to watch two guys fight I can tune in to UFC. We do not allow punches and kicks to be exchanged in the sports of Football, Baseball and Basketball,

-You cold injure someone badly and even if it didn't short cut their career, they could be holed up for months. Players on Donald's own team should have been trying to get that helmet away from him. I also would like to see a coach attempt to body surf and jump in there a little stronger and they might have to absorb a punch or two until cooler heads can prevail.

Last edited:
Swinging two Bengals helmets during the brawl is surely not a good look. AD should be suspended for multiple games. Any less would be an utter joke. I am his biggest fan, and think the bar should be set at Garrett's six games and then adjusted from there based on the varying circumstances.

Consistency is how we base fairness.
-----------------------------------------------------
Exact quote responding to using helmet as weapon >>> Booger McFarland

Today, how does Booger feel about using a helmet as a weapon?
Booger
@ESPNBooger

If the nfl starts disciplining players for what happens at practice in training camp then they are officially going down a slippery slope that they should not Different obviously in a game. But this is practice man

Exact quote responding to using helmet as weapon >>> Booger McFarland

Today, how does Booger feel about using a helmet as a weapon?
Booger
@ESPNBooger

If the nfl starts disciplining players for what happens at practice in training camp then they are officially going down a slippery slope that they should not Different obviously in a game. But this is practice man
I mean the NFL disciplines players for what they do in their own homes. Surely they have the authority to discipline players for what happens at practice.

So if Donald did this in his personal life he would be suspended. If he did this in a game he would be suspended. But since its the practice field and not the game field he gets completely exonerated? The NFL rules are more screwed up than the government. Donald has such a history of being a dirty player, as much or more than anyone in the league, that has to play a factor.

Tim Benz: If Pittsburgh thinks Aaron Donald shouldn't be suspended, then we are moving the goalposts
Sam Greene
@SGdoesit
#Rams Aaron Donald swinging two #Bengals helmets in the mix.

LINK picture of Donald two fisted helmets ready to strike

... Donald should be suspended. Substantially.

I know we will do what we always do in Pittsburgh and move the goalposts on this debate so that we can protect who we like and convict who we hate.

If Garrett got six games, Donald should at least get a punishment close to that. Why not? Because it wasn’t on national television? Because it wasn’t a game? Because the guy who was hit happened to have a helmet on, too, unlike Rudolph?

So what? We’re all seeing it now. It’s the same act.

Are we changing our tune because we applaud Donald since he went to Pitt and Penn Hills, and Garrett plays in Cleveland and swung at a Steeler?

Let’s be honest. Those are the only differences and the only reasons why the outrage over this incident in Pittsburgh isn’t equal to what it was when Garrett swung at Rudolph.

Tim Benz: If Pittsburgh thinks Aaron Donald shouldn't be suspended, then we are moving the goalposts
Sam Greene
@SGdoesit
#Rams Aaron Donald swinging two #Bengals helmets in the mix.

LINK picture of Donald two fisted helmets ready to strike

... Donald should be suspended. Substantially.

I know we will do what we always do in Pittsburgh and move the goalposts on this debate so that we can protect who we like and convict who we hate.

If Garrett got six games, Donald should at least get a punishment close to that. Why not? Because it wasn’t on national television? Because it wasn’t a game? Because the guy who was hit happened to have a helmet on, too, unlike Rudolph?

So what? We’re all seeing it now. It’s the same act.

Are we changing our tune because we applaud Donald since he went to Pitt and Penn Hills, and Garrett plays in Cleveland and swung at a Steeler?

Let’s be honest. Those are the only differences and the only reasons why the outrage over this incident in Pittsburgh isn’t equal to what it was when Garrett swung at Rudolph.

Dude, you've always had an issue about this and the best thing I can tell you is that despite the fact that I like you as a commentator, you have no credibility on this issue whatsoever. Who exactly in Pittsburgh is saying he shouldn't be suspended? This sounds like a position attributed generally and vaguely, a position nobody has taken. If you can provide links to the Pittsburgh guys, then okay, but even then it's a suspect and weird argument.

Dude, you've always had an issue about this and the best thing I can tell you is that despite the fact that I like you as a commentator, you have no credibility on this issue whatsoever. Who exactly in Pittsburgh is saying he shouldn't be suspended? This sounds like a position attributed generally and vaguely, a position nobody has taken. If you can provide links to the Pittsburgh guys, then okay, but even then it's a suspect and weird argument.
:potkettle:

So if Donald did this in his personal life he would be suspended. If he did this in a game he would be suspended. But since its the practice field and not the game field he gets completely exonerated? The NFL rules are more screwed up than the government. Donald has such a history of being a dirty player, as much or more than anyone in the league, that has to play a factor.
This is what came to my mind when people started saying that the NFL doesn't govern practice incidents. It doesn't seem plausible that practices could be some sole sacred setting, out of all the times and places in the world, in which NFL players are completely shrouded from any league rules. As I usually do, I'll take it to a theoretical extreme to get at the real issue: running back Joe Scumbag rapes a fan on the sideline during a practice session. It is all but a certainty that he did it, but for whatever stupid technical reason, he isn't convicted of any crime. The NFL really just shrugs its shoulders and says, "It was practice. If they want to cut him, they can. We can't do anything about it"?

Rams coach Sean McVay said Aaron Donald (ankle) will not play in Week 16 and it is unlikely he plays again this year.​

This feels like a bombshell, but there is really no reason for Donald to return. The Rams are out of playoff contention, so pushing Donald to return quickly only increased the risk of worsening his ankle issue. Assuming he is done for the year, Donald's 2022 campaign ends with 10 TFLs, five sacks, and one forced fumble. Even when adjusting for the time missed, it goes down as the worst statistical season of his nine-year career. Heading into the offseason, there is bound to be plenty of speculation on whether Donald will run it back in 2023 or retire.
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Dec 23, 2022, 1:24 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread