What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: QB Will Grier, Panthers (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Panthers are expected to start third-round rookie QB Will Grier in Week 16 against the Colts.

Fewell's tentative decision to wait until Wednesday to announce the team's starting quarterback ominously pinned Grier under center for Week 16. Carolina's also recorded the lowest turnover margin (-14) since their Week 7 bye, ultimately sealing Kyle Allen's fate since he's contributed to that mark with 15 interceptions and three lost fumbles in that stretch. Grier was hesitant in the pocket, completing 34-of-61 passes for 385 yards and 6.3 yards per attempt against perennial backups this preseason, but he at least offers the new regime a chance to evaluate their situation under center heading into the winter.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Dec 16, 2019, 2:25 PM ET

Will Grier PlayerProfiler

NFL.com Draft & Combine Analysis: Will Grier

PFF break down Will Grier

Rotoworld's initial draft blurb

Panthers selected West Virginia QB Will Grier with the No. 100 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

The Panthers needed to find a quality backup behind Cam Newton, and Grier should be just that. Grier (6’3/217) transferred from Florida to West Virginia for his final two seasons, where he went 15-7 with a 66% completion rate at 9.4 yards per attempt and a 71:20 TD-INT ratio. Excelling in Mike Leach disciple Dana Holgorsen’s Air Raid spread, Grier cleared 300 yards in 19-of-22 starts. As a 66th-percentile SPARQ athlete, Grier offers plus mobility and standout accuracy, and he clocked 59-MPH ball velocity on the Combine radar gun, the best mark of all quarterbacks in Indy. Knocked by some as a "system quarterback," Grier’s college tape reveals an aggressive gunslinger with some similarities to Tony Romo.
If you check out his preseason tape he looked to get better comparing Week 1 to Week 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bleacher Report's Kristopher Knox listes West Virginia QB Will Grier as one of eight players who are still being underrated heading into this week's NFL Draft.

"The West Virginia signal-caller is a tremendous quarterback prospect who flashes vision, accuracy and the ability to throw receivers open on film," Knox wrote in his analysis of Grier. "He has adequate height at 6'2" and while he did play in a wide-open West Virginia offense, he has shown the ability to make NFL throws from the pocket." Grier (6'2/217) hasn't been mentioned with the likes of Kyler Murray, Dwayne Haskins, Daniel Jones and Drew Lock when it comes to quarterbacks that could go in the first round, but there is a chance that he sneaks into Day 1 because of his production and skill set.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Apr 21, 2019, 6:55 PM ET

West Virginia QB Will Grier is ranked 24th overall on Pro Football Focus' 2019 big board.

Grier (6'2/217) was PFF's second-highest graded passer behind Kyler Murray last season, but he's their third-ranked quarterback on their big board. No matter how you slice it up, Grier is one of the best quarterback prospects in the draft if you're strictly looking at analytics. However, #FilmGrinders are more pessimistic, and it's hard to tell where NFL teams view him except for ESPN's Adam Schefter's report that scouts view Grier as a "riser".

SOURCE: Pro Football Focus

Apr 1, 2019, 10:45 PM ET

An anonymous scout told ESPN's Adam Schefter that Will Grier "put on a show" during his Pro Day on Thursday.

The scout told Schefter that Grier is a "riser." Just how much that rise will be is tough to say, as Grier (6'2/217) was a polarizing prospect coming into his Pro Day. The scout also tells Schefter that the former Mountaineer signal-caller will meet with 10 teams including the Giants, Washington, Chargers, Pats and Saints. All of those teams have older quarterbacks behind center -- and Washington has Alex Smith, whose career could be over because of a horrific knee injury -- so Grier could be a potential answer in the long-term for any of those clubs.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mar 21, 2019, 12:25 PM ET

West Virginia QB Will Grier reminds NFL Film's Greg Cosell of Andy Dalton.

Cosell believes decision making and ball velocity are the two biggest concerns for Grier (6'2/217), but his overall draft grade really depends on the evaluator. Some will tank his grade because of a lack of velocity on deep throws, while others won't view it as a major problem. What makes this evaluation even more blurry is Grier's Combine results since he recorded the fastest ball-speed among invitees. Advanced analytics also show that Grier has above average accuracy, so there is some debate over his value between analytics and scouting communities.

SOURCE: Ross Tucker Podcast

Mar 16, 2019, 5:15 PM ET

About 5 weeks late, but its about time. I loved Grier coming out, and felt he was a better prospect than Daniel Jones or Drew Lock. Nothing about anything they've done has changed that opinion. The Andy Dalton comparison seems apt, though I've always believed Dalton would have been a much better player on a different franchise(and will likely find out next year) but Grier has a bigger arm than Dalton in my opinion, and likely more mobility. If he is on the Dalton-Romo spectrum, I think Panther fans will be pretty happy.

If Grier shows well, I wonder if they may go into next season with him as a starter, or if they just go back to Cam. Personally, if they can get something good for Newton, I'd be all about dealing him, as I worry that he's in that Daunte Culpepper stage, where he can't win with his athleticism anymore, and doesn't have the passing ability to fall back on. 

About 5 weeks late, but its about time. I loved Grier coming out, and felt he was a better prospect than Daniel Jones or Drew Lock. Nothing about anything they've done has changed that opinion. The Andy Dalton comparison seems apt, though I've always believed Dalton would have been a much better player on a different franchise(and will likely find out next year) but Grier has a bigger arm than Dalton in my opinion, and likely more mobility. If he is on the Dalton-Romo spectrum, I think Panther fans will be pretty happy.

If Grier shows well, I wonder if they may go into next season with him as a starter, or if they just go back to Cam. Personally, if they can get something good for Newton, I'd be all about dealing him, as I worry that he's in that Daunte Culpepper stage, where he can't win with his athleticism anymore, and doesn't have the passing ability to fall back on. 
Seems highly unlikely Grier will show enough in next two games to go into next year as starter. If he had looked good in practice- and reports are he hasn’t/ he would’ve been given a shot much sooner.

Panthers interim coach Perry Fewell has confirmed Will Grier will start against the Colts.

Early-week reports were apparently neither confirmed nor denied. Now they have been formalized. Grier drew major hype in certain segments of the draft world, but it is a major red flag that the third-rounder could not beat out Kyle Allen for No. 2 duties. The 24-year-old was truly awful in the preseason. All that being said, giving Grier a look for the final two games of a lost season is still the right move for the in-transition Panthers. Even though he's facing a defense that literally forced only one incompletion in Week 15, Grier is not worth a QB2 dice roll for the fantasy finals.

SOURCE: Jourdan Rodrigue on Twitter

Dec 19, 2019, 1:23 PM ET

Will Grier completed 27-of-44 passes for 224 yards and three interceptions in Carolina's Week 16 loss to the Colts.

Grier flashed an ability to extend plays in his regular season debut and that's where the compliments end. The third-round rookie skyrocketed multiple throws to wide open receivers, including missing Jarius Wright in the corner of the end zone on first-and-goal in the second quarter for a would-be touchdown. He made a few commendable passes after avoiding pressure and biding time for receivers to break from their routes in the second half, but the game was well out of hand by that point. Grier will start in Carolina's regular season finale with the sole purpose of feeding Christian McCaffrey until he records 67 receiving yards to join the illustrious 1,000/1,000 club. The rookie himself, though, showed nothing worth chasing (even in SuperFlex leagues) against the Saints.

Damn he was bad.  Lucky for him Cmac is a vacuum, collecting 15 of 15 passes.  Greer was 12 of 29 minus Cmac.

Users who are viewing this thread