What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Eagles trade for #2 overall pick (1 Viewer)

The qb thirst is real!

how long before teams start jockeying for Paxton lynch?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bradford is hugely overpaid....I doubt he gets moved at all.  Very questionable move by the Eagles but I do like the rookie QB being able to sit and learn for at least a full season.  That is a rare thing that usually pays off. 
Hugely over paid? He makes $12.5m a year for 2 years, $11 of which is already paid by Philly in a bonus. Sounds like a great contract for a team to try out a QB.

Terrified until you think of the alternative to this deal.

Whats the price to go up if we finish 7-9/ 8-8 next season?
What does that have to do with making a deal this year because of how you're projecting QBs a year from now? Do you think Roseman knew who Carson Wentz was at this point a year ago?

The Browns finally do something right.  The Eagles are idiots.
Eagles were having a nearly perfect offseason. Getting good value for the guys they were resigning/signing and letting go of the overpriced guys. On this deal, I have to agree with you. As I've been saying, it's a horribly desperate move. They want a franchise quarterback so badly that they're pretending Wentz is Andrew Luck or Mariota.

He wasn't even top 10.
Goff?  Youre mistaken.  After his bowl game and up until now he was constantly mocked no lower than 2 which was where the first QB would be taken.

Wentz rose fast too.  There's a lot out there on him and he reads like a franchise guy...and did prior to this deal

That's the only first they really traded the 2016 picks cancel each other out.
No they traded one in 2016 and one in 2017 to get a more attractive one in 2016 (implied in the move from 13 to 2). It is still two 1st round picks to get one

Bottom line is both teams need to make the picks now....its that simple.

On our end I love that we can groom a QB like we did with Mcnabb and not force him to save a team.  We still have a VERY young core who are under contract for a while as well.  The later picks we have we can still grab a starting RB if needed too.

On the Browns end they needed picks--The management there now seems to get it and understand you cant toss a QB into a dumpster fire and expect good things

Win-win

It's part of the trade to go from 1.08 to 1.02.

:shrug:
If the Browns were an even dumber franchise than they are, and for some reason agreed to it (maybe under the old cap structure, or even worse), so dumb that they traded the 2nd pick straight up for the 13th pick and nothing else, would you say the Eagles traded a 1st round pick to move up from 13 to 2?

We get into this semantics argument everytime these trades are done.

If someone made the statement "The Browns traded a first round pick to go from 13 to 2".

Would you assume that the 13th overall pick was the first round pick mentioned, or that it was a first round pick in addition to the 13th overall pick.

Edit: Eh, Rusf beat me to it.

No they traded one in 2016 and one in 2017 to get a more attractive one in 2016 (implied in the move from 13 to 2). It is still two 1st round picks to get one
Well it's a semantics argument that isn't really worth the time but you can't say they "traded two firsts to jump from 13 to 2" (or from 8 to 2) when those picks were just switched.  

Well it's a semantics argument that isn't really worth the time but you can't say they "traded two firsts to jump from 13 to 2" (or from 8 to 2) when those picks were just switched.  
Of course you can.

When you trade two small bananas for one large banana (even if one will only be given tomorrow),  you in fact trade two bananas for one banana.

Semantically they either traded one first to move up, or they traded two firsts for pick #2.  Trading two firsts to move up implies that there is a third 1st round pick they're moving up from.

Saying they "traded two 1st round picks to move up" is intentionally poor semantics designed to purposefully make it sound worse than it is.

Love this move for the Browns. Never liked the idea of them taking a QB at 2 anyway. Maybe I'm crazy, but I think RG3 has more upside than either of these rookie QBs anyway. Not saying he'll for sure be better, but he has more talent, just a matter of whether they can harness it, and Hue Jackson has had success with less, hell Terrelle Pryor looked pretty decent for a stretch.

Moving to 8 still lands them a great prospect, potential a better one than either QB, just at a less important position. 

The Rams and Eagles look like the 2 biggest losers in the draft to me. 

At this rate Lynch might sneak into the top-10, and maybe Connor Cook into the late 1st round. I get not wanting to settle for mediocre QB play, but man, you can have a great QB, and still have a bad team. How else do you think the Chargers earned the #3 pick. Speaking of that pick, how long does that last? Its arguably going to be the best player in the draft class, plus the Chargers have a lot of needs.

Browns send 1.02, 2017 4th

Eagles send 1.08, 3.77, 4.100, 2017 first, 2018 second

Move back 6 spots, get an extra pick this year, an extra first next year, and an extra second the year after.

I'm convinced Cleveland will find a way to #### this up, great trade for Cleveland
They already have. They need a QB.

I honestly can see it either way.  They always say never pass on a franchise QB and I don't know if either of these guys ARE that but the price being paid to get them suggests a lot of people think they are. 

On the other hand, you're right. If they drafted a guy and give him the David Carr treatment, then it is no help.  BUT, they could draft a guy and then sit him and enter next year with a very educated 2nd year QB. 

I've seen it play out all different ways in the NFL over the years . It just seems like the Browns always find a way to make the wrong decision. 

I honestly can see it either way.  They always say never pass on a franchise QB and I don't know if either of these guys ARE that but the price being paid to get them suggests a lot of people think they are. 

On the other hand, you're right. If they drafted a guy and give him the David Carr treatment, then it is no help.  BUT, they could draft a guy and then sit him and enter next year with a very educated 2nd year QB. 

I've seen it play out all different ways in the NFL over the years . It just seems like the Browns always find a way to make the wrong decision. 
Which is what the Eagles just did. 

Its a win-win trade

I don't think Paxton Lynch is any more likely to be a franchise QB than Wentz, but I'd understand that gamble a bit more with an extra 1st (plus) in my pocket for next year. 
I think it can go either way so I see your thinking but I will say this: I'd much rather take that type of gamble on ANY position other than QB. I forget who it was but I remember a GM type saying QB mistakes are 5 year mistakes that set you back (5 years) and they are mistakes you don't get to make twice (because you get fired).

The "play right away" vs. "sit and learn for a year or two" argument is just like the old WR argument of whether having another strong WR across the field helps the #1 WR because he draws coverage or hurts the #1 WR because he draws targets.  In the end there are just too many examples on either side, too evenly split to draw any real conclusion one way or the other.

Which is what the Eagles just did. 

Its a win-win trade
I THink that's true. I think the Eagles of today would do that and sit him a year, despite the pressure being intense (especially after paying that much for him). You KNOW in Philly, the fans will be saying at some point if it goes slow "You paid all that to get him, play him, stupid!" 

Also, you have to think that Bradford isn't an ironman.  Chances suggest he will have to be played.

The "play right away" vs. "sit and learn for a year or two" argument is just like the old WR argument of whether having another strong WR across the field helps the #1 WR because he draws coverage or hurts the #1 WR because he draws targets.  In the end there are just too many examples on either side, too evenly split to draw any real conclusion one way or the other.
I don't know. I've seen a TON of rookie QBs get their entire careers sideways because they started too soon. I've seen a lot that look promising but seemed obvious they really would benefit from sitting and learning.  Seen a handful that did sit and it appears obviously beneficial.

Not saying it doesn't swing both ways but it is far less common to see a rookie QB come out and make a true difference in real life football at the NFl level.

I think it can go either way so I see your thinking but I will say this: I'd much rather take that type of gamble on ANY position other than QB. I forget who it was but I remember a GM type saying QB mistakes are 5 year mistakes that set you back (5 years) and they are mistakes you don't get to make twice (because you get fired).
I agree with what you're saying, both here and above, and I'm willing to make that gamble because I just don't get the love affair with these guys. And least you're getting some more out of the deal if your selection doesn't work out. But I fully support the "no half measures approach" to getting a QB. If you believe this is your guy, do what is necessary to take them.

I just continue to be shocked that these are the guys who are resulting in these moves. I could see these types of trades being made last year with Winston and Mariota sitting 1/2. 

I agree with what you're saying, both here and above, and I'm willing to make that gamble because I just don't get the love affair with these guys. And least you're getting some more out of the deal if your selection doesn't work out. But I fully support the "no half measures approach" to getting a QB. If you believe this is your guy, do what is necessary to take them.

I just continue to be shocked that these are the guys who are resulting in these moves. I could see these types of trades being made last year with Winston and Mariota sitting 1/2. 
Yeah, I agree with that. I'm not sure if it is because I feel like I'm not following football nearly as much this offseason as years past but last year with Winston and Mariota I could see these trades and think like you said, "they believe in their guy and they are going after him" AND it seemed there was a lot of info to support it. 

This year, OTOH, I am thinking, "Really?  For these guys?"  But I could be completely ignorant about "these guys".

So for all the love the Eagles had for Mariota, if they were willing to back the truck up, why not do it last year?"

I don't know. I've seen a TON of rookie QBs get their entire careers sideways because they started too soon. I've seen a lot that look promising but seemed obvious they really would benefit from sitting and learning.  Seen a handful that did sit and it appears obviously beneficial.

Not saying it doesn't swing both ways but it is far less common to see a rookie QB come out and make a true difference in real life football at the NFl level.
Did they have their career ruined or were they just not good to begin with?  Would David Carr/Blaine Gabbert have swapped places with Aaron Rodgers if they had sat and learned and Rodgers had started right away?  Doubtful.

The majority of the top young QBs in the league right now are guys that started right away.  Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson, Derek Carr, Blake Bortles, and on and on.  All except Wilson were drafted by teams that were thought to be much worse than the current Philly team.

So for all the love the Eagles had for Mariota, if they were willing to back the truck up, why not do it last year?"
Chip Kelly the personnel guy was a disaster, but to his credit, at this time last year he actually was making what he considered "back the truck up" offers to the Titans. From all accounts it was as least as much as it took the Eagles to get from 13 to 2 this year. The Titans may have "offered" the pick, but if so it was probably done about as seriously as those "Make Me Move" offers on Zillow.

I can't really say I blame Chip for trying, or the Titans for not biting. I'd much rather they have pulled this swap off last year than this one.

Yeah, I agree with that. I'm not sure if it is because I feel like I'm not following football nearly as much this offseason as years past but last year with Winston and Mariota I could see these trades and think like you said, "they believe in their guy and they are going after him" AND it seemed there was a lot of info to support it. 

This year, OTOH, I am thinking, "Really?  For these guys?"  But I could be completely ignorant about "these guys".

I'm thinking they made a comparable offer and got rebuffed.  Both teams holding the top 2 picks last year sorely needed a franchise qb.  

Thing is. That it really isnt. Denver. Seattle and baltimore all won recently without 'stud' qb play. However to compete year in year out. It does seem best to have a stud qb under center
You either have a stud QB or a stud D.

Also, no way whoever they pick isn't starting by the end of the season.

I'm probably way off, but does this new 1.02 pick HAVE to be a QB?  Couldn't they grab the best RB here before they surely get sniped staying at 8.  Worry about QB later like us in the FF community do right?!  Guarantee you land the best RB.

You either have a stud QB or a stud D.

Also, no way whoever they pick isn't starting by the end of the season.
I see Eagles falling to 4-8 after Sea, GB Cin. So there would be a good spot to tart him. Last 4 games to get a taste.

I'm probably way off, but does this new 1.02 pick HAVE to be a QB?  Couldn't they grab the best RB here before they surely get sniped staying at 8.  Worry about QB later like us in the FF community do right?!  Guarantee you land the best RB.
This isnt 1986. It's 2016. 

49ers huge losers and now will have to battle CLE for the #1 next year. Watson goes #1 next year and the loser keeps on looking and losing.

If theyes wanted Zeke there was a high probability he would have been there for them at 8.  No reason to throw all those picks to get to 2 for a guy that would be there at 8.

Users who are viewing this thread