What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Early Fav for the Dolphins Draft Pick? (1 Viewer)

Isn't it just Miami's luck that the year they have the #1 overall pick, they can't satisfy the singular need they have had since Marino retired. A true franchise QB.

Think about it - where do Matt Ryan/Brohm grade out when compared to these recent 1st round QBs:

JaMarcus Russel '07

Brady Quinn '07

Vince Young '06

Matt Leinart '06

Jay Cutler '06

This year feels more like 2005 (Smith/Rodgers)

Miami needed to have the #1 pick in a year like 2004 (Eli, Rivers, Roeth), or 2006, or 2007. Anyway, enough rambling here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I"m in the minority, but I think Mia should draft Jake Long or Gholston. Gholston is going to be an absolute stud in the 3-4 D. Chris, I'm not so sure.
I do not see Jake being a true #1 overall pick. Sure, they could use him but not at that spot. Too much of a stretch and too much money going to him.
I shall never understand this argument.If he is a premier LT in the game in 3 years, they will have to pay him much more than a #1 overall pick to keep him.

Also, Parcells will probably offer contracts to his top 3 or top 4 guys at what he is comfortable paying the top pick. If CLong, MRyan, GDorsey, Gholston, Ellis, and JLong ALL accept the K offer - and parcells goes with jake - I think we can trust that decision. Getting your starting LT for the next 10 years is just as, or more, important as a rookie DE. If he is flexible enough to return to RT for a year and then flip back over - great.

I do not understand the concept of "not worth" #1 overall money - it is a pittance compared to what you will have to pay him down the road if he is worth drafting at any of the top-5 spots.

That said, I am pretty sure Parcells will end up taking one of the DEs.
I am just not that sold on Jake Long. Now, to be fair, I did not see him play any games but from the reading I have done so far, it seems to me that there is more Gallery in him than Thomas. You focused on the money part of my statement rather than the stretch part. Not sure why. Selecting at #1 on a guy that does not have #1 talent and gets paid that money is something that puts a franchise back years.

Don't use one of my posts as an opportunity to bring out your soap box.
:thumbup: Whatever, guy. JLong is not a stretch at #1 overall, but I didn't feel the need to argue that point since you didn't really make one - I included your whole post.
I am so sorry. You are so smart and I am dumb. I bow to your superiority. You obviously know all there is to know about football and I am just a lowly subscriber. I really did not mean to annoy you with a response to your blabbering about money in my original post even though you like to ignore the fact that that was not the real point of my post. I freely admit that I am not an expert on the man. I freely admit that I may be wrong. I am not as self-absorded as you apparently are.

That being said. What I have read up on him about in several different sources is that Jake Long's strength is in run blocking and although he is described as being 'marginal' and 'adequate' in pass blocking it seems fairly obvious that he is a better fit as a right tackle than a left tackle. He is likely to be drafted high and will almost certainly start his career as a left tackle but when he consistently struggles against elite pass rushers, he is more than likely going to be moved to the right side. It makes little sense to draft a guy and force him into a position that he is not best suited at just because you drafted him #1 overall. Maybe, you can tell me the last time there was a #1 OT drafted with the intent of placing him at right tackle. Now, mind you, I think he will be a great right tackle but it seems like it is easy to say he will be a 'stretch' to fill in at the left tackle when his lack of explosiveness will be exposed by good pass rushers. Is it really a smart move for a franchise like the Dolphins to invest so much into a right tackle? Yes, I think it is possible to call him a stretch at #1 and it would be a forced fit training to fill need than anywhere near being the top player in the draft or top player vs need for the Dolphins. They can go with almost any of the top players at their position with the exception of McFadden and fill a need and not stretch. You are starting with the assumption that he will be a great LT and as I said before, I am not sold on that. Could I be wrong, sure, but that is my view. Obviously you do not respect someone with a different view.

What I have read up on him about in several different sources is that Jake Long's strength is in run blocking and although he is described as being 'marginal' and 'adequate' in pass blocking it seems fairly obvious that he is a better fit as a right tackle than a left tackle. He is likely to be drafted high and will almost certainly start his career as a left tackle but when he consistently struggles against elite pass rushers, he is more than likely going to be moved to the right side.
Disregarding everything else in your post, I'm gonna have to ask you to name your sources. The analogy for Long is Joe Thomas or Jammal Brown, and I have seen things like "Robert Gallery when he was coming out level talent"To cover my bases and make sure I was not misremembering my scouting of him after watching him during the college football season, I checked out some post-combine and scouting sources:

NFL.com

Take-charge type and field leader who plays with good field awareness and is an aggressive blocker who has the knowledge to call blocking adjustments up front...Sound technically and can be a drive blocker who shows good explosion in his initial step off the snap...Keeps his balance working into the second level and has a wide leg base in his pass set...Good second-effort blocker who stays with his man throughout the whistle, but also shows the vision to locate secondary targets...Plays with a mean streak, looking to constantly finish his man off...Never takes a play off and drives through the defender with good intent and force...Easily digests a complicated playbook and makes good field adjustments to twists and games...Rarely makes a mental error and is very alert on the field...Vocal team captain who will not hesitate to take a teammate to task...Has a true passion for the game, playing with a warrior-like mentality...Hard worker who will do anything the coaches ask and is a model for good work ethic, especially in the weight room...Uses his long reach and size to neutralize edge rushers (see 2007 Michigan State, Illinois and Florida games), doing a solid job of reaching and sealing the "seven" technique...Has the ability to get under the defender's pads and dominate with his hand jolt
FF Toolbox:
The Michigan O-line has allowed just 28 sacks under his leadership in 13 games this season, even though their quarterbacks are not exactly fleet of foot. According to ESPN, Long himself was only beaten for a sack once this season by Vernon Gholston of Ohio State. In fact, Long has only allowed 2 sacks during his career and been flagged for just 2 penalties. Jake Long is probably best known for his excellent pass blocking, but don't mistake Long for a finesse tackle. As good as people believe he is, his run blocking may still be underrated
Draft.com
has all the qualities you look for in a potential franchise Left Tackle. He has a strong work ethic, displays excellent leadership qualities and shows consistent effort on every play. In pass protection, Long has solid fundamentals and has the balance, quickness and athleticism to mirror defenders on the edge, displaying above average kick-slide and redirect abilities. He uses his long reach to maintain separation and has more than enough strength and punch to neutralize defenders. Long also has good athleticism and vision at the second level and is adept at locating and locking on to defenders at the second level. In the running game, Long shows good strength, plays with excellent leverage and is a devastating drive blocker that knows how to finish off his blocks. Long is a smart, heady player that has great on-field awareness and also plays the game with a mean streak and takes pride in punishing defenders. Outstanding player with all the tools to succeed and is one of the safest picks in this years draft.
Saw some contrary opinions in my search:mynfldraft.com

http://saturdays2sundays.com/?p=21

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingr...t/jakelong.html

Not sure how much I'd trust these sources as they did not indicate pre/post combine - for example, this one (the most begative scouting report I saw) was way back on Dec. 12:

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/storyonly/2...12/12/211124/62

How about a news blurb with a Herm Edwards quote?

This

There are several reasons to think the 6-7, 313-pound Long is likely to draft in Thomas' NFL draft slipstream.

"He's got similar traits," Kansas City Chiefs coach Herm Edwards says, comparing Long to Thomas. "You feel like when you get a guy like this, he's going to play for you for a long time. In today's world, the left tackle is such a premier position.

"You don't have to slide protections over there too much. He can handle most rushers."

And Long certainly has a nice track record.

"He's been a starter at Michigan for a long time. He's a smart, tough guy," Edwards says.

"He's everything you look for in a tackle."
And an op-ed piece from an ESPN reporter on the team's need:
Offensive tackle might be the easiest position to scout, and Long excelled in a strong conference for four years. Sure, offensive tackles can be busts, but for every Robert Gallery, there's an Orlando Pace, a Jonathan Ogden and a Tony Boselli.

Long's the kind of player the Dolphins can plug in right away and get a productive 10-year career from. He'd be their first solid left tackle since Richmond Webb, whose last season with the team was 2000, and he'd be a huge upgrade over last season, when Miami started Vernon Carey on the left side and L.J. Shelton on the right. With that duo, the Dolphins usually limited quarterbacks Trent Green, Cleo Lemon and John Beck to three-step drops and they still took a beating.

Shelton was released in one of the first moves Bill Parcells made after he took over Miami's front office. Carey can be serviceable on the right side, where he belongs. But that only works if the Dolphins get a franchise left tackle. New coach Tony Sparano made his name coaching offensive linemen and giving him Long would be a nice way to start his first draft.
Some basic information can be found here from NFLDraftscout.comDid I post this to say the Dolphins will/should pick Long? No. I posted it to show he is not a waste of the #1 overall - you rarelky have this great a shot at franchise QBs or LTs. And Jake Long is a franchise type player.

And as for lack of need, they CLEARLY have a need. Carey is out of position at LT and should be moved back to RT or back to where he was drafted - LG. A line with both Long and Carey is better for the team than a line without both players. Now - that said, the Dolphins might be able to find a good RT later in the draft and decide to live with Carey at LT. Not my favored position, but they might do it. To say he is not worth the money, however, because he can't PASS block in this league is, IMO, shbort sighted, and a bit lacking in research.

Marc,

I thank you for a reply that was filled with substance and void of smug conceit.

For my part, I will concede to you. It certainly does seem, as you have pointed out, that the consensus is that he can play LT in the NFL. I did not see any Michigan games last season and the previous seasons games I did not put any effort into watching him specifically.

If he can play the LT at a high level then he is obviously worth the #1 overall pick. I began this back and forth with doubts that he could play at that level and not end up on the right side. That was basis for my comments about being a stretch and hence too much money to pick #1.

With all of that said, I do not think Miami will pick him, as you seem to agree with.

With all of that said, I do not think Miami will pick him, as you seem to agree with.
Total agreement - I think Chris Long will be psyched with whatever contract he gets from Miami to be the #1 overall, and will end up in a Dolphin uniform. The phins will then grab someone like Gosder Cherilus in the 2nd. That guy is a natural right tackle - very good at that position in run blocking, but a horrible pass blocker. He was HAMMERED this past year when Wise switched him to LT for Notre Dame, so he might be available at the phins' 2a pick.If the phins are able to trade down, they can get a guy like Otah, Clady or Williams for their LT needs and move Carey back to his correct position but I dojn't that will be the scenario. This draft is actually pretty fat with RT prospects, so if the team commits itself to living with Carey at LT (at least for this year), then waiting and grabbing a RT later on day one is the smart play.It'd be nice if the team could somehow package Taylor and their early 2nd to move into the middle of the first round and take one of the LTs available there but that is wishful thinking. I would be satisfied with taking CLong, trading Taylor for a mid to early 2nd round selection, and getting in on some of the depth at LB and OL that will be present in the 2nd round. The #1 overall plus three 2nd round picks, properly spaced, might be more valuable to the team than the #1 overall, a mid-late 1st, and a late 2nd.Just look at Bloom's mock three round draft and you can see the value of gathering 2nd round picks. Anyway, it's the first time I've been really psyched about Miami going into a draft since JJ ran them.

Article on topic

Interesting quote:

“He loves the draft,” said Harvey Greene, a senior vice president of the Dolphins. “He's good at it. He and Jimmy Johnson are the best I've seen. He built three teams (the Giants, Jets and Patriots). As for what he is thinking about concerning the draft, nobody has a clue. We haven't even given out any misinformation.”

I've seen mocks with some really crazy predictions like miami taking gholston. However most mocks I've seen had the phins taking either jake long or chris long. I think if miami had a franchise qb they really cared about protecting they would go with jake but as it is I see them going with chris.

Article on topic

Interesting quote:

“He loves the draft,” said Harvey Greene, a senior vice president of the Dolphins. “He's good at it. He and Jimmy Johnson are the best I've seen. He built three teams (the Giants, Jets and Patriots). As for what he is thinking about concerning the draft, nobody has a clue. We haven't even given out any misinformation.”
Chris Long seems like he will be a solid player, but more of a real good 2nd round pick or good later 1st round guy. Not as big as I would like for the pick. Dorsey was single teamed far too often in the championship game and was not too much of a factor so I think he is overrated. Ryan, is not worth the coin for a possible good QB. This leaves Jake Long if I am the Dolphins.

Article on topic

Interesting quote:

Chris Long seems like he will be a solid player, but more of a real good 2nd round pick or good later 1st round guy. Not as big as I would like for the pick. Dorsey was single teamed far too often in the championship game and was not too much of a factor so I think he is overrated. Ryan, is not worth the coin for a possible good QB. This leaves Jake Long if I am the Dolphins.
Chris Long and Vernon Gholston have excellent athleticism at a position Parcells has been focused on in the first round for three straight years in Dallas. He is on record disapproving of 1st round OLs. It appears his version of the 3-4 is coming to Miami, and Chris Long looked better in the OLB drills than anyone expected, better than the other prospects. Bill loves big linebackers and a 274 pound rookie is probably going to play at 285 in a couple years. So for at OLB, which is where projects to Miami, he is huge. I expect him to take Gholston or Chris Long. Dorsey is a no go for the 3-4, but much better than you think, I think.I agee with some of your points. Long has a great motor, best I have seen in several years. But he is lacking a little as a pure pass rusher. He doesn't explode around the corner like a top flight DE should. He's a great worker though. I agree Jake Long would be a fine pick. It would be a stunner for those of us following Parcells closely though. I think 8 or 9 of these kids could be picked first. There are no truly elite talents. Bad year to be stuck at #1. Some kid who doesn't deserve it is going to hit the jackpot.

Total agreement - I think Chris Long will be psyched with whatever contract he gets from Miami to be the #1 overall, and will end up in a Dolphin uniform. The phins will then grab someone like Gosder Cherilus in the 2nd. That guy is a natural right tackle - very good at that position in run blocking, but a horrible pass blocker. He was HAMMERED this past year when Wise switched him to LT for Notre Dame, so he might be available at the phins' 2a pick.If the phins are able to trade down, they can get a guy like Otah, Clady or Williams for their LT needs and move Carey back to his correct position but I dojn't that will be the scenario. This draft is actually pretty fat with RT prospects, so if the team commits itself to living with Carey at LT (at least for this year), then waiting and grabbing a RT later on day one is the smart play.

It'd be nice if the team could somehow package Taylor and their early 2nd to move into the middle of the first round and take one of the LTs available there but that is wishful thinking. I would be satisfied with taking CLong, trading Taylor for a mid to early 2nd round selection, and getting in on some of the depth at LB and OL that will be present in the 2nd round. The #1 overall plus three 2nd round picks, properly spaced, might be more valuable to the team than the #1 overall, a mid-late 1st, and a late 2nd.

Just look at Bloom's mock three round draft and you can see the value of gathering 2nd round picks. Anyway, it's the first time I've been really psyched about Miami going into a draft since JJ ran them.
The same was said about Brady Quinn last year. Agents will not let their clients take a substandard contract, as it will be used against them by other agents.

Article on topic

Interesting quote:

Chris Long and Vernon Gholston have excellent athleticism at a position Parcells has been focused on in the first round for three straight years in Dallas. He is on record disapproving of 1st round OLs. It appears his version of the 3-4 is coming to Miami, and Chris Long looked better in the OLB drills than anyone expected, better than the other prospects. Bill loves big linebackers and a 274 pound rookie is probably going to play at 285 in a couple years. So for at OLB, which is where projects to Miami, he is huge. I expect him to take Gholston or Chris Long. Dorsey is a no go for the 3-4, but much better than you think, I think.I agee with some of your points. Long has a great motor, best I have seen in several years. But he is lacking a little as a pure pass rusher. He doesn't explode around the corner like a top flight DE should. He's a great worker though. I agree Jake Long would be a fine pick. It would be a stunner for those of us following Parcells closely though. I think 8 or 9 of these kids could be picked first. There are no truly elite talents. Bad year to be stuck at #1. Some kid who doesn't deserve it is going to hit the jackpot.
1) I want to address my opinion of Dorsey. I read and had heard such great things about him that I was psyched to pick up my Tivo and watch play after play of him in the championship game. I would slo-mo the plays and see what he did. I was not impressed at all. Now, this is ONE game and maybe he was sick or something, but he did not look good at all. I assume that he is very good, otherwise everyone would not be touting him so much, but the ONE game I watched meticulously he didn't stand out at all and he was not doubled all game long like many people said. I agree CC that he will not be picked because of the 3-4.2) You are correct about BP's thought process of being able to draft OL in later rounds. George Young and the Giants had that philosophy and it worked well for them. However, I do think that BP knows the game has changed some and if he sees the type of player he likes, he may pick Jake Long.

3) Don't you think 288 for an OLB in a 3-4 is too big? I kind of think that Chris Long would be better as a 4-3 DE and will be a little small for a 3-4 DE. He might be a tweener for a 3-4?

4) based on the above, Gholston may move up BP's chart, but would you want Gholston with the 1st overall? I have to admit that I have only seen highlights of Gholston and have not have not dug into watching him, but that would seem a surprise move.

As noted, if you are BP you would love to move this pick, it just doesn't seem likely.

Football rules were being discussed in another thread...the one they should really adopt is a much lower amount of coin going to rookies who have never played and passing that on to pensions and older/proven players. The draft should be helping the weaker teams not burdening them and teams should ALWAYS want the better draft slot when in fact that may not be the case sometimes.

Article on topic

Interesting quote:

1) I want to address my opinion of Dorsey. I read and had heard such great things about him that I was psyched to pick up my Tivo and watch play after play of him in the championship game. I would slo-mo the plays and see what he did. I was not impressed at all. Now, this is ONE game and maybe he was sick or something, but he did not look good at all. I assume that he is very good, otherwise everyone would not be touting him so much, but the ONE game I watched meticulously he didn't stand out at all and he was not doubled all game long like many people said. I agree CC that he will not be picked because of the 3-4.2) You are correct about BP's thought process of being able to draft OL in later rounds. George Young and the Giants had that philosophy and it worked well for them. However, I do think that BP knows the game has changed some and if he sees the type of player he likes, he may pick Jake Long.

3) Don't you think 288 for an OLB in a 3-4 is too big? I kind of think that Chris Long would be better as a 4-3 DE and will be a little small for a 3-4 DE. He might be a tweener for a 3-4?

4) based on the above, Gholston may move up BP's chart, but would you want Gholston with the 1st overall? I have to admit that I have only seen highlights of Gholston and have not have not dug into watching him, but that would seem a surprise move.

As noted, if you are BP you would love to move this pick, it just doesn't seem likely.

Football rules were being discussed in another thread...the one they should really adopt is a much lower amount of coin going to rookies who have never played and passing that on to pensions and older/proven players. The draft should be helping the weaker teams not burdening them and teams should ALWAYS want the better draft slot when in fact that may not be the case sometimes.
I dont think Chris Long is 288. Theyve actually had him listed at 272 most recently. Similar in size to Merriman and Adalius Thomas. But Id agree with the thinking that he'd probably be better as a 4-3 Dend than an OLB in a 3-4. But I think he'll be tremendous at whichever position he ends up playing. Btw, I couldnt agree more with your thinking that a rookie salary cap needs to be instituted. And if passing some of that savings on to veteran pensions and current veteran player salaries is a byproduct, then all the better. Great statements about how the draft is beginning to miss the mark because of the increased salary scale.

twitch said:
Article on topic

Interesting quote:

I dont think Chris Long is 288. Theyve actually had him listed at 272 most recently. Similar in size to Merriman and Adalius Thomas. But Id agree with the thinking that he'd probably be better as a 4-3 Dend than an OLB in a 3-4. But I think he'll be tremendous at whichever position he ends up playing. Btw, I couldnt agree more with your thinking that a rookie salary cap needs to be instituted. And if passing some of that savings on to veteran pensions and current veteran player salaries is a byproduct, then all the better. Great statements about how the draft is beginning to miss the mark because of the increased salary scale.
Thanks Twitch. In Long's weight I was using the weight that Chaos was expecting him to be at. I would imagine you would rather the Dolphins take a QB (or someone that won't be able to hit Brady)

1) I want to address my opinion of Dorsey. I read and had heard such great things about him that I was psyched to pick up my Tivo and watch play after play of him in the championship game. I would slo-mo the plays and see what he did. I was not impressed at all. Now, this is ONE game and maybe he was sick or something, but he did not look good at all. I assume that he is very good, otherwise everyone would not be touting him so much, but the ONE game I watched meticulously he didn't stand out at all and he was not doubled all game long like many people said. I agree CC that he will not be picked because of the 3-4.
Dorsey was simply dominant last year(had he come out he would've been a first rounder but he returned because he wanted to win a national championship) and the first half of this season. Then he suffered a leg injury. Personally I think the coaches should have shut him down for a few games but they let him continue to play because even hurt dorsey commanded a double team from his opponents. After his injury he was really good in some games and in others he wasn't anything special. The reason he's pretty much a lock to be a top 3 pick is because everyone expects him to be 100% when he gets to the pro's

Thanks Twitch. In Long's weight I was using the weight that Chaos was expecting him to be at. I would imagine you would rather the Dolphins take a QB (or someone that won't be able to hit Brady)

Yes, yes. That thought has definitely occurred to me. I dont know who Id dread them adding more - Gholston or Long. Both guys can hit hard off the edge. I really hope they just add Jake Long and give Ronnie Brown a fighting chance to be a stud in this league. As an outsider and non-fan of the team, I think that would be the move that would help them the most. I think that kid'll be alot closer to Jon Ogden or Tony Boselli than Robert Gallery or Tony Mandarich. Not very glamorous. But a serious building block.

1) I want to address my opinion of Dorsey. I read and had heard such great things about him that I was psyched to pick up my Tivo and watch play after play of him in the championship game. I would slo-mo the plays and see what he did. I was not impressed at all. Now, this is ONE game and maybe he was sick or something, but he did not look good at all. I assume that he is very good, otherwise everyone would not be touting him so much, but the ONE game I watched meticulously he didn't stand out at all and he was not doubled all game long like many people said. I agree CC that he will not be picked because of the 3-4.
Dorsey was simply dominant last year(had he come out he would've been a first rounder but he returned because he wanted to win a national championship) and the first half of this season. Then he suffered a leg injury. Personally I think the coaches should have shut him down for a few games but they let him continue to play because even hurt dorsey commanded a double team from his opponents. After his injury he was really good in some games and in others he wasn't anything special. The reason he's pretty much a lock to be a top 3 pick is because everyone expects him to be 100% when he gets to the pro's
I am not doubting what everyone sees in the guy (they have watched him more than I have), but what I am saying is that he did not play that well in the Championship game and everyone keeps saying he was drawing double teams and that is just incorrect. if you have the game on tape go back and watch it.

sounds like the phins are gonna start contract negotiations with a few guys. whoever is most willing to sign for less to be the #1 might just get the nod.

Fins negotiating with Jake Long

jdarlington@MiamiHerald.com

The Miami Dolphins could soon be off the clock.

The Dolphins have formally begun contract negotiations with agent Tom Condon about the prospect of selecting former Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long as the first overall selection in this year's draft.

Condon, who also represents Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan, was in South Florida early this week to negotiate specifically on behalf of Long at the request of the team, The Miami Herald has learned.

The Dolphins would like to have a contract in place with their first pick before the draft on April 26, which would allow them to avoid a potentially ugly holdout like the one that took place in Oakland last year upon the Raiders' selection of quarterback JaMarcus Russell.

Miami is still intrigued by Virginia defensive end Chris Long, but no in-person talks between Chris Long's agent and Miami are believed to have taken place to date. However, the Dolphins are believed to be happy with quarterback John Beck, and they are not considering Ryan as an option with the first pick.

The latest meeting between Condon and the team doesn't necessarily mean the Dolphins have made their final decision to select Jake Long over Chris Long, but it is certainly a major step in that direction.

By selecting Jake Long, the Dolphins would fill a gaping hole along their offensive line. Vernon Carey is currently slated as the starter at left tackle, but selecting Jake Long would potentially allow the team to move Carey back to his more natural position on the right side of the line.

Fins negotiating with Jake Long

jdarlington@MiamiHerald.com

The Miami Dolphins could soon be off the clock.

The Dolphins have formally begun contract negotiations with agent Tom Condon about the prospect of selecting former Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long as the first overall selection in this year's draft.

Condon, who also represents Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan, was in South Florida early this week to negotiate specifically on behalf of Long at the request of the team, The Miami Herald has learned.

The Dolphins would like to have a contract in place with their first pick before the draft on April 26, which would allow them to avoid a potentially ugly holdout like the one that took place in Oakland last year upon the Raiders' selection of quarterback JaMarcus Russell.

Miami is still intrigued by Virginia defensive end Chris Long, but no in-person talks between Chris Long's agent and Miami are believed to have taken place to date. However, the Dolphins are believed to be happy with quarterback John Beck, and they are not considering Ryan as an option with the first pick.

The latest meeting between Condon and the team doesn't necessarily mean the Dolphins have made their final decision to select Jake Long over Chris Long, but it is certainly a major step in that direction.

By selecting Jake Long, the Dolphins would fill a gaping hole along their offensive line. Vernon Carey is currently slated as the starter at left tackle, but selecting Jake Long would potentially allow the team to move Carey back to his more natural position on the right side of the line.
That's a good find there, MR. Nice work.

I have liked him there since my first mock. It makes sense.

Him or Chris Long - both would be good fits.

I came here to post this very story -- OF COURSE the Shark Pool is already on it.

Smooooooooth massraider. Nice find.

Total agreement - I think Chris Long will be psyched with whatever contract he gets from Miami to be the #1 overall, and will end up in a Dolphin uniform. The phins will then grab someone like Gosder Cherilus in the 2nd. That guy is a natural right tackle - very good at that position in run blocking, but a horrible pass blocker. He was HAMMERED this past year when Wise switched him to LT for Notre Dame, so he might be available at the phins' 2a pick.If the phins are able to trade down, they can get a guy like Otah, Clady or Williams for their LT needs and move Carey back to his correct position but I dojn't that will be the scenario. This draft is actually pretty fat with RT prospects, so if the team commits itself to living with Carey at LT (at least for this year), then waiting and grabbing a RT later on day one is the smart play.

It'd be nice if the team could somehow package Taylor and their early 2nd to move into the middle of the first round and take one of the LTs available there but that is wishful thinking. I would be satisfied with taking CLong, trading Taylor for a mid to early 2nd round selection, and getting in on some of the depth at LB and OL that will be present in the 2nd round. The #1 overall plus three 2nd round picks, properly spaced, might be more valuable to the team than the #1 overall, a mid-late 1st, and a late 2nd.

Just look at Bloom's mock three round draft and you can see the value of gathering 2nd round picks. Anyway, it's the first time I've been really psyched about Miami going into a draft since JJ ran them.
The same was said about Brady Quinn last year. Agents will not let their clients take a substandard contract, as it will be used against them by other agents.
Last year, there was not as much competition for the #1 overall. This year there are 5 . . 6, maybe 7 guys that will receive offers from Miami. The Dolphins will "Mario Williams" this - the ink will be on the paper 5 minutes after the selection is made. There will be no holdout.

How bad do the Rams and Falcons want Jake Long?Smoke screen by the Tuna?
You know his wheels are spinning. And add KC to this mix. They'd love nothing more than to have a guy like Jake Long opening up holes for Larry Johnson, especially after they got used to seeing a LT like Willie Roaf anchoring that line for alot of years. They miss having that kindof stud in that position. So, yes. Tuna getting this word out early stokes the fire a little with any of these teams with interest in Long. Ive never heard of a player's agent being in contract discussions with the team choosing #1 quite so early. The Tuna may have lost a bit of an edge in the coaching dept. his last few years. But the man is still a mastermind.

I think they make a mistake with Jake Long...I like Chris Long much better for the Dolphins as they need to focus on getting that defense back in order.

I think they make a mistake with Jake Long...I like Chris Long much better for the Dolphins as they need to focus on getting that defense back in order.
OT is a need as well. If Long starts, Vernon Carey can be moved, which means the pick could strengthen two different OL positions. A move like that could have as much impact as anything else.I have always thought C. Long was strictly a defensive end, and I thought the LB talk was a little optimistic. Using the #1 pick on a projected positional move is very dangerous, IMO.Now, if someone wants to argue that the Fins are gonna go hybrid, or use a 4-3 line, fine. But I am working under the assumption that they are a 3-4 team, mostly. 3-4 LBs can be gotten anywhere in the draft and 3-4 ends just aren't impact players, so taking a guy #1 just to tie up blockers is a bit of a waste (I do think Chris could play 3-4 end).(Of course, I am looking for any reason for teams 1-3 to pass on Son of Howie. Look for my forthcoming essays on how Glenn Dorsey makes the Rams a better team, and how Matt Ryan can lead the Falcons to greatness)

You wonder if Parcells is also making it easy for the team that wants long by having the deal already in place, so you get the guy with a contract ready to go day one, rather than a situation where you trade for the player and then have to start the negotiating process.

In any case, getting long (hopefully) solves a lot of the line issues we have. Kerry moves to RT, Satele at Center, Smiley at G, Long at the other T, and we just need another guard and we actually may have an offensive line for the first time since richmond webb retired.

You wonder if Parcells is also making it easy for the team that wants long by having the deal already in place, so you get the guy with a contract ready to go day one, rather than a situation where you trade for the player and then have to start the negotiating process.In any case, getting long (hopefully) solves a lot of the line issues we have. Kerry moves to RT, Satele at Center, Smiley at G, Long at the other T, and we just need another guard and we actually may have an offensive line for the first time since richmond webb retired.
:thumbup: I like it.

You wonder if Parcells is also making it easy for the team that wants long by having the deal already in place, so you get the guy with a contract ready to go day one, rather than a situation where you trade for the player and then have to start the negotiating process.
I don't think he signs on the dotted line til BP is sure no one will make a nice trade offer. BP knows that a pick holding out can be a nightmare so he's probably testing those waters as well. There's alot of questions almost answerred by starting to work out a deal. IIRC in the past teams have sat down with more than one player and his agent to see what they wanted. Calling up the other Long's agent and seeing what he wants....well I wouldn't put anything past BP. The one thing that has a very strong track record is he doesn't let others know who he's picking beforehand. He seems to feed off letting people wonder. I'll wait for him to throw a monkeywrench in here soon.

Dolphins begin talks with Jake Long

By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports

Apr 9, 3:08 pm EDT

The Miami Dolphins began preliminary talks Tuesday with a representative of Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long on a contract to be the No. 1 overall pick in the NFL draft, according to two sources close to the discussions. However, Miami’s early move could be used as leverage to put pressure on Long or one of the other top prospects to get a deal done before the draft.

For now, it appears that Long, the massive left tackle, is tops on the team’s list. Long’s agent, Tom Condon, met with multiple members of the team’s staff at the Dolphins training facility in Davie, Fla. Condon also represents Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan, but the two sources indicated that the Dolphins broached the subject of a contract with Long, not Ryan.

However, the obvious play for Jake Long could be a ploy by the Dolphins to put pressure on other players, such as Virginia defensive end Chris Long, who many believe the Dolphins are also interested in taking. The Dolphins have done extensive work on both Longs, Ryan and LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey. Along with Arkansas running back Darren McFadden, many NFL personnel analysts believe the top five players in the draft are relatively equal in value.

The meeting with Condon confirmed the belief among many NFL executives and player agents that the Dolphins will extend contract offers to as many as four players prior to the start of the draft on April 26. That’s far from a new strategy, but it’s nonetheless intriguing because of the subsequent back-door maneuvering as players, agents and teams figure out who will succeed in the cash grab that goes with each pick.

McFadden is unlikely to get an offer from the Dolphins because the team already has running backs Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams.

“(Chris) Long is the safest player in the draft,” one team executive said, echoing comments made by many NFL personnel people. “But with him, you have to ask yourself if you’re going to be happy with a guy who’s probably going to be like (Seattle Seahawks Pro Bowl defensive end) Patrick Kerney. That’s a good pick, but when you have a quarterback there who could change the future of your team, it’s a tough choice.”

Many people feel that the difference between Chris Long, Ryan, Jake Long and Dorsey is not significant. However, the difference in the amount paid to whoever goes No. 1 vs. No. 4 or 5, is significant. For instance, No. 1 overall pick JaMarcus Russell signed a deal with the Oakland Raiders worth $29 million in guaranteed money and another $3 million in easily attainable incentives last year. By contrast, No. 4 overall pick Gaines Adams reportedly received $18.56 million in guarantees from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

One advantage for the Dolphins in making a preemptive offer (teams with the No. 1 overall pick are allowed to negotiate before the draft starts) is that leveraging players against each other can also reduce the chance of a holdout.

Last year, the Raiders did not work out a pre-draft deal with Russell, who eventually held out through training camp and didn’t sign a contract until September. Conversely, in 2006, the Houston Texans were able to sign defensive end Mario Williams on the Friday before the draft after they spent the week negotiating between Williams and running back Reggie Bush.

There was significant incentive for Williams at that time because agent Ben Dogra believed that if Williams didn’t go No. 1, he was going to fall to the New York Jets at No. 4 overall. At the time, such a fall would have cost Williams $8 million in guaranteed money.

Similarly, in 1991, the Dallas Cowboys signed defensive tackle Russell Maryland as the No. 1 overall pick when it negotiated with multiple players before the draft.

As of now, however, no talks have happened, said both agent Marvin Demoff, who represents Chris Long, and agent Joel Segal, who represents Dorsey.

Still, the days leading up to the draft could feature shenanigans. And it all starts with a team now run by a man who’s an expert in drama and suspense.

Dolphins vice president of football operations Bill Parcells has made a career of working angles, such as in December when it was widely reported one morning that he was going to work for the Atlanta Falcons, only to take the Dolphins job by the afternoon. Thus, some end-game work by Parcells and the Dolphins with some of the top players in the draft seems to be a likely play.

“You would be silly to think that Bill Parcells wouldn’t try that,” one veteran agent said. “He’s going to throw that out there and he’s probably going to do it late in the process. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Dolphins called on the Wednesday before the draft and told the two or three or four players they’re thinking about, ‘This is what we’re offering, who will take it?’”

Even more intriguing: Exactly where would the top tier prospects prefer to play? Each of the top four teams in this year’s draft is in some serious state of flux, ranging from ownership changes in Miami and with the St. Louis Rams to general dysfunction with the Falcons and Raiders.

“With each one of those teams you have to really ask yourself, who is going to be running the operations long term?” one agent asked, rhetorically. “The Dolphins are in the midst of changing owners. St. Louis is going to change owners in a year or two. Arthur Blank in Atlanta is a wonderful man, but he changes his mind all the time about what he wants to do. Then you have Al Davis in Oakland. Al’s health is obviously an issue, but even if he’s there, you don’t know what’s going to happen. The place is in chaos all the time.”

Last year, there was not as much competition for the #1 overall. This year there are 5 . . 6, maybe 7 guys that will receive offers from Miami. The Dolphins will "Mario Williams" this - the ink will be on the paper 5 minutes after the selection is made. There will be no holdout.
Mario Williams was signed before the draft, LinkI still maintain that there will be no bargain. They may get a player for what Jamarcus signed for last year, simply because there is no QB bonus for any of these players. Their agents will get killed for signing a substandard deal.

Dolphins also taking to Gholston

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/footbal...0,7093217.story

Apparently content to keep the No. 1 overall pick, the Dolphins have begun discussing contract parameters with at least two players on their short list of candidates to become the draft's top selection.

Official contract negotiations with Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long, and Ohio State defensive end Vernon Gholston were started this week, according to a source. Coincidentally, Long and Gholston are represented by the same agency, CAA, but have different agents.

Long and Gholston are believed to be two of the five prospects the Dolphins have thoroughly investigated in case they don't trade away the top pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, which takes place on April 26-27.

Virginia defensive end Chris Long, Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan, and LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey are the other potential candidates to be taken first overall.

Negotiating a contract before making the selection could allow the Dolphins to avoid a potentially ugly holdout like the one that took place with the Raiders last year over the No. 1 selection of quarterback JaMarcus Russell. Russell missed all of training camp before a six-year deal worth $68 million (with $29 million of it guaranteed) was finalized.

According to another source, the Dolphins "haven't even sniffed at" the possibility of selecting Arkansas running back Darren McFadden with the draft's top pick.

McFadden is viewed as the draft's top offensive player, but the Dolphins appear to be set at running back with Ronnie Brown, Ricky Williams and Lorenzo Booker already on the roster. Also, Bill Parcells' draft history shows he's traditionally shied away from selecting running backs that high.

Parcells, the Dolphins' new vice president of football operations, generally prefers to start building a team in the trenches. Gholston, Dorsey and both Chris and Jake Long, who are not related, would address that.

Dorsey is viewed as a traditional defensive tackle, one more suited for the 4-3 defensive scheme. The Dolphins are presently set up to play a 3-4 even though coach Tony Sparano won't commit to it until practices start.

Gholston and Chris Long are viewed as the two college defensive ends that would have the smoothest transition to outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. The Dolphins have had private meetings with each.

Selecting Jake Long would address the team's most pressing need: the offensive line.

The Dolphins have two glaring holes on the starting line, one at right tackle and the other at left guard. Last week Sparano said the plan is to fill those spots through the draft, allowing the line to "get younger."

Waiting until the second round to draft an offensive linemen could be risky considering most NFL executives and draft analysts say this is the best year for offensive tackles in more than a decade, and believe as many as six could be taken in the first round.

When asked at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis about the possibility of playing for the Dolphins, the 6-foot-7, 313-pound Long said, "It would be an honor."

"They would get a hard-working, passionate player," said Jake Long, who allowed two sacks and was flagged for two penalties throughout his four-year college career. Jake Long and Gholston, who is 6-4, 265 pounds and runs in the 4.6 range in the 40-yard dash, were the two strongest players at the NFL combine. Both bench-pressed 225 pounds 37 times. Jake Long's lone sack of his senior season was to Gholston, who finished his junior season with 14 sacks before entering the draft.

Selecting Jake Long would address the team's most pressing need: the offensive line.

The Dolphins have two glaring holes on the starting line, one at right tackle and the other at left guard. Last week Sparano said the plan is to fill those spots through the draft, allowing the line to "get younger."

Waiting until the second round to draft an offensive linemen could be risky considering most NFL executives and draft analysts say this is the best year for offensive tackles in more than a decade, and believe as many as six could be taken in the first round.
:confused: If Long starts at LT, they can move Carey to either LG (his natural spot) or RT (where he has played before). Even if they use Jake at RT and leave Carey at LT, filling OL holes is more attractive to me than drafting at a position of strength (DE). Heck, I'd even be satisfied with Gholston since the linebacking crew is in slight disarray right now.

As long as it is NOT McFadden or Ryan, I will be OK with the selection.

:unsure: If Long starts at LT, they can move Carey to either LG (his natural spot) or RT (where he has played before). Even if they use Jake at RT and leave Carey at LT, filling OL holes is more attractive to me than drafting at a position of strength (DE). Heck, I'd even be satisfied with Gholston since the linebacking crew is in slight disarray right now.

You'll be happy.

:thumbdown: If Long starts at LT, they can move Carey to either LG (his natural spot) or RT (where he has played before). Even if they use Jake at RT and leave Carey at LT, filling OL holes is more attractive to me than drafting at a position of strength (DE). Heck, I'd even be satisfied with Gholston since the linebacking crew is in slight disarray right now.

Agree with you Marc.

I had a dream last night that we drafted McFadden. :blackdot:
I kind of wish that the Dolphins organization would talk up McFadden more, leak his name, fain interest, etc. If anything just to screw around with the J-E-T-S who seem all set to pick him at 1.6.
I kinda think that's what the Jets are doing... Setting a smokescreen cuz they don't want him and they know they're going to be BOO'D like mad when they pass on him for their top CB.If you want Mcfadden, I don't think you parade him in public.So, I think the Jets would welcome more Mcfadden hype and possibly more teams looking to trade up.

This thread had alot of good reads and opinions. Epitomizes for me what this board is all about. And Jake Long is now signed by Miami, so we have a full 5 days for the Rams to make some noise about that 2nd overall. May be the first time to my recollection that we'll be talking about the SECOND overall pick like its the 1st. Congrats Dolphins fans! Your guy is a stud, and your team is now looking that much better.

:rolleyes:

:jawdrop:

I am so psyched it is ridiculous. This also means Jason Taylor is probably a 'phin for the foreseeable future. Which is also a :confused: for me.

Solid OLineman for the next 10 years, and no holdout. He will be in camp on day one. Now, as long as the team avoids working him too hard in the June sun and avoids injuring him, I like the phins OL a lot this year - not next, not the year after. This year.

Ok.... where is the "late fav for the Rams Draft Pick?" thread?
I think we'd probably want to see a Rams fan actually get that thing started. You and Levin are 'Phins fans, no? But I guess there's really no written rule. It'll have a little more juice if we some Ram fan activity. Maybe a thread to start the thread?? :sleep: Btw, where are your boys going with that 2nd rounder?

:rolleyes:I am so psyched it is ridiculous. This also means Jason Taylor is probably a 'phin for the foreseeable future. Which is also a :shrug: for me.Solid OLineman for the next 10 years, and no holdout. He will be in camp on day one. Now, as long as the team avoids working him too hard in the June sun and avoids injuring him, I like the phins OL a lot this year - not next, not the year after. This year.
And Im psyched for you. And Id agree that it looks like Taylor will be hanging around and doing the rest of his dancing there in Miami. That's what Id call a win-win. Taylor is probably still better than whoever would have potentially replaced him. And Long is obviously an upgrade and a cornerstone. Miami needs to be looking at one of those 2nd tier CBs to deal with that NE passing attack. Id venture a guess that it'll be Brandon Flowers. That would be my "early 2nd round favorite" guess.

Ok.... where is the "late fav for the Rams Draft Pick?" thread?
I think we'd probably want to see a Rams fan actually get that thing started. You and Levin are 'Phins fans, no? But I guess there's really no written rule. It'll have a little more juice if we some Ram fan activity. Maybe a thread to start the thread?? ;) Btw, where are your boys going with that 2nd rounder?
Chad's a Raider fan.There's a Ram thread already, or we can use one of the four that Bob Magaw has started this past week.

Users who are viewing this thread