What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Election Deniers Are Bad, Right? (1 Viewer)

In regards to voting - the goal should be easy to make this easy and accessible. A random Tuesday during work hours with people standing in line for an hour seems pretty dumb.

its never seemed dumb until recently

national voting day is fine idea - but I believe everywhere people can vote early - in person

I say with few exceptions to voting in person ....I know some absentee ballots are valid - but people who just don't want to take the time to go vote in person? c'mon ... its not THAT important then is it ?

Biden lost on voting day .... only mail in ballots got him elected. That's very very important to people on the right side here IMO .......... people on the left don't seem to care at all about it. Again, its two sides here
Seeing people stand in the rain in line on a random Tuesday for an hour has seemed dumb after my state went to mail-in.

It some cases it seems intentional to drive down voting.
People used to walk miles to vote one day a year. If you are the type to let a little rain or cold thwart your casting of a ballot, then it wasn’t that important to you.

In regards to voting - the goal should be easy to make this easy and accessible. A random Tuesday during work hours with people standing in line for an hour seems pretty dumb.

national voting day is fine idea - but I believe everywhere people can vote early - in person

I say with few exceptions to voting in person ....I know some absentee ballots are valid - but people who just don't want to take the time to go vote in person? c'mon ... its not THAT important then is it ?

Biden lost on voting day .... only mail in ballots got him elected. That's very very important to people on the right side here IMO .......... people on the left don't seem to care at all about it. Again, its two sides here
Seeing people stand in the rain in line on a random Tuesday for an hour has seemed dumb after my state went to mail-in.

People used to walk miles to vote one day a year. If you are the type to let a little rain or cold thwart your casting of a ballot, then it wasn’t that important to you.
Importance to an individual should have no bearing on a person's right to vote

one side says voting isn't done right/fair and there is cheating because of all the mail in ballots

the other side says voting isn't done right/fair because rules/restrictions/regulations are in place to keep elections fair

neither side is happy
Agree. Should be a national holiday.
That would be great. All states having a uniform mail-in process as well.
If we're being honest, it REALLY should be an online option as well. It's easy enough to secure with simple technology we have today, but we all know that provides MORE access and that doesn't go well for some. To this day, there hasn't been a single person who can give me a "concern" that can ONLY be fixed by voting in person...not one.
Grandma lives with you, her grasp on the fact that it's election day is tenuous at best. You proceed to vote on her behalf from your home pc. That's a problem.

Cars used to not have seatbelts, we used pay phones...ah the good ol days.

If we are making people stand in line to vote for an hour then it seems like it is on purpose.

Biden lost on voting day .... only mail in ballots got him elected.

:mellow:

Fun Fact: In many states, mail in ballots were counted on election day, but some states had the requirement that those ballots be counted after the same day vote (apparently to give the impression by looking at the early results that it was some manipulation or shenanigans by those counting the votes).

one side says voting isn't done right/fair and there is cheating because of all the mail in ballots

the other side says voting isn't done right/fair because rules/restrictions/regulations are in place to keep elections fair

neither side is happy
If we're being honest, it REALLY should be an online option as well. It's easy enough to secure with simple technology we have today, but we all know that provides MORE access and that doesn't go well for some. To this day, there hasn't been a single person who can give me a "concern" that can ONLY be fixed by voting in person...not one.
Grandma lives with you, her grasp on the fact that it's election day is tenuous at best. You proceed to vote on her behalf from your home pc. That's a problem.
Is this all that much different than her going to the polls with you and "assisting" her there?

If we are making people stand in line to vote for an hour then it seems like it is on purpose.
Nobody is making anybody do anything. It’s the price of living in a free country.

neither side is happy
Is this all that much different than her going to the polls with you and "assisting" her there?
Yes. You can't go into the voting booth with her. I can also swipe her mail ballot, fill it out, and send it back any way I choose.

Along with not allowing anyone to bring them a cup of water no matter how long they wait (like that would influence anyone's vote :lol:)

Fun Fact: In many states, mail in ballots were counted on election day, but some states had the requirement that those ballots be counted after the same day vote (apparently to give the impression by looking at the early results that it was some manipulation or shenanigans by those counting the votes).
Have you seen the groundbreaking documentary 2000 Mules?

neither side is happy
Because old people are dumb? If you're lucky enough, one day you will be old too. Most old people AREN'T out of touch dementia cases.

neither side is happy
Yes. You can't go into the voting booth with her. I can also swipe her mail ballot, fill it out, and send it back any way I choose.
In my state of MN, and I imagine most states have a similar law in place - if someone needs assistance, such as your elderly grandmother, you can indeed go in the booth with her.

But anyway, are you willing to commit a felony to cast a fraudulent vote for her? How else do you take advantage of this poor lady? Access her bank accounts and withdraw funds? Weasel your way into her will?

neither side is happy
In my state of MN, and I imagine most states have a similar law in place - if someone needs assistance, such as your elderly grandmother, you can indeed go in the booth with her.

But anyway, are you willing to commit a felony to cast a fraudulent vote for her? How else do you take advantage of this poor lady? Access her bank accounts and withdraw funds? Weasel your way into her will?
Sure.

I had no interest after I saw Dinesh D'Souza was behind it, plus it was fact checked by several sources, here is one I just found on short notice (from a site I am not familiar with).

neither side is happy
Not really. Not enough to make any statistical difference in the outcome,

Nobody is making anybody do anything. It’s the price of living in a free country.
You can vote safely and securely via the mail. Don't be sacred. This is called progress.

neither side is happy
Ah, I see. Well if we're talking about statistical differences in the outcomes as being the deciding factor, why can't we require ID to vote? I've always been told it would disenfranchise all those poor people who have no means to get ID. But if statistically the number of them wouldn't affect the outcome (which of course it wouldn't) then there is no reason not to do it.

neither side is happy
Ah, I see. Well if we're talking about statistical differences in the outcomes as being the deciding factor, why can't we require ID to vote? I've always been told it would disenfranchise all those poor people who have no means to get ID. But if statistically the number of them wouldn't affect the outcome (which of course it wouldn't) then there is no reason not to do it.
I don't particularly have an issue with some form of proof of identity being required to vote. I'm also not overly concerned about this issue either way.

neither side is happy
This is the same issue presented win a twin goes and votes in person for themselves, then returns for their sibling. :shrug:

Both in likelihood and situation existing in the first place.

Though...if one could come up with the stats to make a case for this being an issue, its nothing a video recording of the voting process couldn't fix.

I had no interest after I saw Dinesh D'Souza was behind it, plus it was fact checked by several sources, here is one I just found on short notice (from a site I am not familiar with).

Yet you mischaracterized the GA law regarding water in voting lines above. For the record, having stood in lines in the South to vote, it is hot. But also, those lines go way longer than 150 feet. If it's illegal within 150 feet, you have waited through all but the last couple minutes of your wait by the time you get to that point in the line. Nobody is allowed within a set distance from polling places here either. We have people set up at tents, waving their signs and waving at people as they pull into polling places. They keep them back to keep voters from being harassed. Saying they can't provide water within 150 feet of a polling place is hardly an outright ban.

35 states have some sort of voter ID laws on the books

Yet you mischaracterized the GA law regarding water in voting lines above. For the record, having stood in lines in the South to vote, it is hot. But also, those lines go way longer than 150 feet. If it's illegal within 150 feet, you have waited through all but the last couple minutes of your wait by the time you get to that point in the line. Nobody is allowed within a set distance from polling places here either. We have people set up at tents, waving their signs and waving at people as they pull into polling places. They keep them back to keep voters from being harassed. Saying they can't provide water within 150 feet of a polling place is hardly an outright ban.
This all seems really dumb when an alternative is:

Receive a ballot in the mail weeks in advance, receive a Voter's Guide a few days later, take your time reviewing all the various initiatives and candidates, do your research, fill it out as you go, tear off a receipt, drop in mail and track a bit later that it was received.

You can vote safely and securely via the mail. Don't be sacred. This is called progress.
I do vote by mail normally. However, don’t push this false narrative that it is “difficult” to vote.

This all seems really dumb when an alternative is:

Receive a ballot in the mail weeks in advance, receive a Voter's Guide a few days later, take your time reviewing all the various initiatives and candidates, do your research, fill it out as you go, tear off a receipt, drop in mail and track a bit later that it was received.
That's just not the way we choose to do it here. I prefer the way it is done and having a set day. I don't have a lot of confidence in the safeguards and checking of signatures etc. It likely isn't going to make a difference in any outcomes here, but our voter ID process is pretty thorough at the polling places. Each state has their own say though in how they administer the elections.

I do vote by mail normally. However, don’t push this false narrative that it is “difficult” to vote.
They push the false narrative as many don’t care about voting rules or if their candidate receives legal votes. Just getting votes however they can, sadly that’s true for many.

Just because people used to do outdated things doesn't mean we still should.

That's just not the way we choose to do it here. I prefer the way it is done and having a set day. I don't have a lot of confidence in the safeguards and checking of signatures etc. It likely isn't going to make a difference in any outcomes here, but our voter ID process is pretty thorough at the polling places. Each state has their own say though in how they administer the elections.
Where is here?

They push the false narrative as many don’t care about voting rules or if their candidate receives legal votes. Just getting votes however they can, sadly that’s true for many.

They push the false narrative as many don’t care about voting rules or if their candidate receives legal votes.

Wait, what? who has said they don't care if their candidate receives legal votes?

That's just not the way we choose to do it here.
Isn't this a "this is how it's always been" argument? That is, "X is how we do it" isn't a good response to "Y would be better than X because..."
It's the way I like it, if I didn't I could talk to my state senator and representative to fix it. Each state has that authority and if you don't like the way your state does it then you have avenues to go about changing it. The fact someone in another state doesn't like the way my state does it, sorry I really don't care. By the same token, I have no say in how your state chooses to run their elections, nor should I.

Isn't this a "this is how it's always been" argument? That is, "X is how we do it" isn't a good response to "Y would be better than X because..."
It's the way I like it, if I didn't I could talk to my state senator and representative to fix it. Each state has that authority and if you don't like the way your state does it then you have avenues to go about changing it. The fact someone in another state doesn't like the way my state does it, sorry I really don't care. By the same token, I have no say in how your state chooses to run their elections, nor should I.
All true. Not responsive to a discussion on which method is better and why, though.

All true. Not responsive to a discussion on which method is better and why, though.
I don't think we have the safeguards in place to do it any other way here. I have zero confidence in being able to properly administer the election here by mail and verify all the signatures, especially on the scale it would take to conduct it in such a way.

It is much easier for fraud to occur with mail in voting. Now more than ever people need to have confidence in elections. IMO election day should be a national holiday and people should have to show up to vote in person except in extenuating circumstances.

I don't think we have the safeguards in place to do it any other way here. I have zero confidence in being able to properly administer the election here by mail and verify all the signatures, especially on the scale it would take to conduct it in such a way.
Do you think states that have had it for decades have the right safeguards? If not, why not? If so, why couldn't your state copy those?

Anyone else find it hilarious that Squistion found 2000 mules to be sketchy and as proof sent us to a link to a site called jan-6.com? :lol:

I mean, Hollywood couldn't even write this kind of comedy gold.

Not unless she signs it.
I can sign it. Nobody would ever know.

You can try to forge it, but if you're not at least close (in this scenario you're taking someone else's grandma's ballot), there's a good chance it gets thrown out.
Not to mention risking a felony for the sake of one vote.

Not unless she signs it.

You can try to forge it, but if you're not at least close (in this scenario you're taking someone else's grandma's ballot), there's a good chance it gets thrown out.

How would you know?

Do you think states that have had it for decades have the right safeguards? If not, why not? If so, why couldn't your state copy those?
I have no idea. Having had to verify signatures on documents during a forensic audit, I know it’s time consuming and tedious. It would seem to require a lot of overhead to do it correctly. So it would cost a lot or likely not be done well. As far as states who do it now, I have no idea. I haven’t invested time into it because that’s up to those states and the voters there.

Not unless she signs it.

Not to mention risking a felony for the sake of one vote.

How many felons do you think are in prison because they thought it out before hand?

Anyone else find it hilarious that Squistion found 2000 mules to be sketchy and as proof sent us to a link to a site called jan-6.com?

I found it sketchy before that (see 2000 mules thread) and made the disclaimer that it was the only site I could find on short notice that had fact checked the film and I had never heard of them before.

Anyone else find it hilarious that Squistion found 2000 mules to be sketchy and as proof sent us to a link to a site called jan-6.com? :lol:

Oh I’ve heard some comedy gold around here over the years. Things like…

-Sydney Powell is a serious lawyer
-The AZ audit was independent and unbiased.
-J6 was just some old people on a tour through the capital
- And on this page calling 2000 miles a ”groundbreaking documentary”

it’s all funny enough to bring tears to one’s eyes.

They push the false narrative as many don’t care about voting rules or if their candidate receives legal votes.

Wait, what? who has said they don't care if their candidate receives legal votes?
Actions speak louder than words. Not wanting laws enforced speaks for itself.

I have no idea. Having had to verify signatures on documents during a forensic audit, I know it’s time consuming and tedious. It would seem to require a lot of overhead to do it correctly. So it would cost a lot or likely not be done well. As far as states who do it now, I have no idea. I haven’t invested time into it because that’s up to those states and the voters there.
Still struggling to understand how one can argue against something being a viable solution when one admits to not knowing the details. Still seems like a "we should do it this way in the future because we've done it this way in the past" argument.

Users who are viewing this thread