What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Eric Mangini interested to be jets coach (1 Viewer)

metsjets91

Footballguy
Apparently, a source said that Eric Mangini, if offered the Jets head coching position, he would most likely accept it. at first, i was opposed to having Mangini be the jets coach, but what the jets need is a new face, and a guy who is a great schemer, and Mangini is great at that. your thoughts.

He's been a DC for 1 year. Based on the Pats early results, I wonder how much rope Belichek gave Mangini after that start. Is he ready to lead a team? In an interview situation, I would ask him who he would bring in to run the offense. The guy is a little inexperienced.By contrast, Romeo Crennel had been the DC for Belichek for a number of years.

He's been a DC for 1 year. Based on the Pats early results, I wonder how much rope Belichek gave Mangini after that start. Is he ready to lead a team? In an interview situation, I would ask him who he would bring in to run the offense. The guy is a little inexperienced.

By contrast, Romeo Crennel had been the DC for Belichek for a number of years.

good point, but anyone whos worked with belicheck, is worthy to be a head coach

No candidate is flawless. "Inexperienced" is about the least important negative you could have when picking a HC. Would you rather someone that's experienced at getting fired?

No offense to the Jets, but I think Mangini would be a fool to take that job. It's a no win situation. The team's not a in a good position to do well soon, and he's only been a DC for a year.

Mangini would be a similar hire to the Eagles choice of Andy Reid. What Mangini lacks in experience, he may possess in organizational skills. Reid, despite only being a QB coach, was widely respected as one of the most organized and focused assistants on the Holgrem/GB coaching tree. Mangini has been a star for several years amon g the Pats staff.If I were a Jets fan, I would be MUCH happier to have Mangini come aboard than a retread like Mike Tice. The fact Bradway is even including Tice in this process harkens back to when the Jets ran to the phone to bring Rich Kotite aboard after his debacle in Philly.

Mangini would be a similar hire to the Eagles choice of Andy Reid. What Mangini lacks in experience, he may possess in organizational skills. Reid, despite only being a QB coach, was widely respected as one of the most organized and focused assistants on the Holgrem/GB coaching tree. Mangini has been a star for several years amon g the Pats staff.

If I were a Jets fan, I would be MUCH happier to have Mangini come aboard than a retread like Mike Tice. The fact Bradway is even including Tice in this process harkens back to when the Jets ran to the phone to bring Rich Kotite aboard after his debacle in Philly.
I'd expect Mangini to be a GREAT head coach one day. And if Belichick were honest with him, he's tell him to expect to be fired quickly and that his NEXT job will be the proving ground. Because most good coaches who inherit bad programs end up being the fall guy and succeed after learning some hard lessons.As Belichick and Shanahan did.

He's been involved in the NFL for what, 13 years? The real bottom line is that he has upside, something none of the other people being mentioned have, except for Hiemerdinger, who seems to be a long shot at best. Something of a gamble, but there isn't a whole lot to lose. The Jets O has to be rebuilt. As long as all sides understand that going in, I think he'll work out.

He's been involved in the NFL for what, 13 years?
,SCoaching in the NFL is hard, but it's not that hard. Mangini is inexperienced as a HC, but who cares. Gruden didn't have his first losing season until his 6th year as a HC. Bill Cowher was 35 his first season as a HC, and he won 11 games and he made the playoffs each of his first six years as HC. I think we'll be ok.

I will be shocked if the coaching pool is truly so shallow that Mangini is one of the best candidates for the vacancies there are in the NFL. I would hire him as a DC for a team in a second, but I would demand more experience than he has from any HC I would hire. I say that understanding I don't get Andy Reid, one of the coaches I respect the most in the league today. I just don't see the numbers working out to make this a good hire at this point in his career.

I will be shocked if the coaching pool is truly so shallow that Mangini is one of the best candidates for the vacancies there are in the NFL. I would hire him as a DC for a team in a second, but I would demand more experience than he has from any HC I would hire. I say that understanding I don't get Andy Reid, one of the coaches I respect the most in the league today. I just don't see the numbers working out to make this a good hire at this point in his career.
What about the instant success that Cowher and Gruden enjoyed at similar ages and with similar experience? What does that tell you about experience?Mangini has been in the NFL for over a decade. I think he knows a little about the NFL.

What about the instant success that Cowher and Gruden enjoyed at similar ages and with similar experience? What does that tell you about experience?Mangini has been in the NFL for over a decade. I think he knows a little about the NFL.
Nice that you choose two examples that are the exception rather than the rule.How about all the successful coordinators that have flopped as head coaches in their first stint? It's a LONG list.

Nice that you choose two examples that are the exception rather than the rule.How about all the successful coordinators that have flopped as head coaches in their first stint? It's a LONG list.
Exception?Mangini will be 35 next season.

I chose the first two HCs I could think of that started their careers at the age of 35. Feel free to inform me of other HCs who started their careers at the age of 35 and flopped.

Cowher spent 3 years under Schottenheimer as defensive coordinator. That is the same number of years Gruden spent as offensive coordinator for the Eagles. This is what Mangini lacks in my book. I wouldn't hire a coach with less than 2 years at coordinator, and I would really prefer having at least 3. BTW, Cowher was 34 when he took over the Steelers according to steelers.com.

Cowher spent 3 years under Schottenheimer as defensive coordinator. That is the same number of years Gruden spent as offensive coordinator for the Eagles. This is what Mangini lacks in my book. I wouldn't hire a coach with less than 2 years at coordinator, and I would really prefer having at least 3.

BTW, Cowher was 34 when he took over the Steelers according to steelers.com.
Gotcha.Those extra two years might make a difference. But if it just means Mangini is a year behind the learning curve, I'm ok with that.

Cowher: Born 1957, first year coaching: 1992Gruden: Born 1963, first year coaching: 1998Eric Mangini: Born 1971, first year coaching: 2006?

Pats D looked great tonight. I'd be strongly in favor of grabbing Mangini. I expect he'll be here by Wednesday.
:goodposting: He is the guy I want here next year! I wonder how much of a say Belicheck is going to have...

No offense to the Jets, but I think Mangini would be a fool to take that job. It's a no win situation. The team's not a in a good position to do well soon, and he's only been a DC for a year.
It suprises me that so many people are down on the Jets going forward. They have an excellent young D that should prosper with good coaching and an O that can stay on the field for more than 3 downs. The entire Oline was decimated by injuries, CMart played injured and the HC played the wrong guy at QB. The Jets were a low-level Super Bowl contender before the season started and just got the injury bug (2 QBs, @RBs, 3 Olinemen). Yes, their Oline is not getting younger, but they are a healthy year away from the playoffs. I don't think there is a reason to think that they can't see 9-10 wins per year for the next few seasons.

From today's Boston Globe:January 15, 2006NICK CAFARDOEric Mangini was born to be a head coach. Forget his age (35 as of Thursday). He's wise beyond his years. Anyway, coaches have told me that you're never completely ready for your first job, whether you're 35 or 55. It's trial and error until you develop your system and organizational philosophy. Everything is in place for him to succeed with the Jets. One of his best friends is Jets capologist Mike Tannenbaum. He can hire Rob Ryan, whose contract expired in Oakland, as defensive coordinator. There's not much rebuilding to be done. Unless he's been promised the Patriots job in a year or two, taking this job would be a no-brainer.MIKE REISSSure. Take Eagles head coach Andy Reid as an example. He's done OK for himself, but when he was hired in 1999, he had exactly zero years as an NFL coordinator on his resume. It's not so much holding the coordinator position as much as it is being an integral part of a successful system. Just as Reid was part of the successful Mike Holmgren coaching tree, Mangini has learned from one of the best coaches in the game, Bill Belichick. Ten years under Belichick has to count for something. While it won't necessarily make Mangini a great head coach, it certainly qualifies him as ready if the Jets offer him the job.DAN SHAUGHNESSYWhy not Mangini? It's not as if he'll be following Amos Alonzo Stagg in Jetland. Other teams no doubt want to take a piece of the Patriots' magic; we saw it with Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis getting head jobs last year. Same with Scott Pioli. None of us knows whether Mangini is ready, but a lot of guys who are supposed to be ready manage to fail in the NFL. This won't be the last time rivals try to harvest New England's brainpower. Think how much Patriots assistants would be in demand if they were allowed to speak.RON BORGESIt is impossible to know how effective any coach will be once he ascends to a head position in the NFL. Mangini is considered one of the brightest young minds in coaching, but his lack of experience running a full operation would complicate the job's inherent difficulties. So it might well be a bit too soon for him to take that step. Having said that, it should be noted that in 1969 a 32-year-old guy with no head coaching experience in the NFL or at a major college program named John Madden became head coach of the Oakland Raiders. In his first year, he went 12-1-1 and won a division title and Coach of the Year honors.JEROME SOLOMONWithout question, Eric Mangini isn't ready to be an NFL head coach. After one year leading a defense, he hasn't been in charge long enough to be ready to face the challenges a head coach does on a daily basis. Plus, he is such a good coach that taking his hands off, which is what will happen as a head coach, wouldn't be the best use of his skills. That said, ready or not, Mangini will do well as a head coach. It'll take him some time to get accustomed to the position, but he's a smart guy, he knows how to get effort from players, and he has had the best example of how to get it done by working next to Bill Belichick for so long.

Apparently, a source said that Eric Mangini, if offered the Jets head coching position, he would most likely accept it. at first, i was opposed to having Mangini be the jets coach, but what the jets need is a new face, and a guy who is a great schemer, and Mangini is great at that. your thoughts.
Mangini has been talked about as the guy the Jets want for a week now. If he is interested, look for a press conference by Wednesday.

Users who are viewing this thread