What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ESPN's 30 for 30- Buffalo Bills episode premieres 12/12 (1 Viewer)

LOL @ Jason Kidd with the Kid 'n Play haircut. Rewind it and you'll see him in the crowd of high school kids Kuhn is talking to in 1990.

sorry guys, dont' see how to spoiler... spoilers below.......

you can't tell me sweeney didn't know... story very shaky and he's not a convincing guy. Says Davis wanted him out of the program and hated him, meanwhile he's the college athlete of the year at BC, the leader in FT shooting in America AND a naismith winner and the coach wants him off the team so he's scared to tell him about the money being put to him? Don't buy it. Wish we had Kuhn's side

I'm wondering how often point shaving scandals have happened in college basketball that never made the light of day. There was a widely accepted rumor at the school I went to that in the late 80s that a couple of players were fixing games. It supposedly happened the two years prior to me attending there so not sure of its validity. However, while I was attending school there one of the biggest bookies on campus was the brother of the starting center. There were several calls I made to the brother that were answered by the starting center who would say his brother wasn't there but he could help out. He would take my bets down and multiple times there were on the game he was going to play that night.

Tuesday, Oct. 14 – “The Day The Series Stopped”

1989 San Francisco earthquake shortly before Game 3 of the World Series
This is on at 10:00 tonight on ESPN.
For me, the highlights of this series reveal stories that I really didn't know much about before watching. I lived through the earthquake and it's been covered extensively locally for the past 25 years. The documentary was generally well done but the flashy editing and color tinting didn't make up for the lack of new content.

The new one about Henry Hill is about to start on ESPN. I'm gonna cry if this is not as fantastic as I expect it to be.
I know I am way late on this--the show has been sitting on my DVR--so I only now saw it for the first time.

I can't get an exact read on Sweeney. A part of me thinks he was involved and turned rat to save his ###, but the other part thinks he just ran his mouth to the wrong people.

It's too bad Kuhn wasn't on the show. It seems that he would have the most to tell. He was the insider on both ends of the deal. I wonder if he has changed his identity. If you Google his name, nothing comes up other than references to this scandal.

Henry Hill was quite possibly the biggest scumbag that ever walked the earth. :lmao:

His testimony shtick of saying, "no that was the car he used to transport the guns" to add insult to injury, is pretty hilarious and terrible. I'm really surprised someone didn't kill him, mafia or random guy at the grocery store.

The Short on NY Mets catcher Mackey Sasser was pretty interesting. Only 20 minutes long, but a good quick watch. Explains him and other players getting the "yips".

So far the highlight of this is footage of Willis Reed in 1967 or 1968 beaten the crap out of 4 or 5 guys all by himself against the Lakers. He was just swinging away clocking every one in sight :tebow:

Surprised to see that apparently footage of the 1973 championship clinching game against the Lakers was pretty much non-existant until a couple year ago. I understand that the game was in LA and it probably didn't start until midnight in the east coast but really tells you about the popularity of the NBA at the time

Next week is on Brian Bosworth which should be great given his story and hype

Last edited by a moderator:
So far the highlight of this is footage of Willis Reed in 1967 or 1968 beaten the crap out of 4 or 5 guys all by himself against the Lakers. He was just swinging away clocking every one in sight :tebow:

Surprised to see that apparently footage of the 1973 championship clinching game against the Lakers was pretty much non-existant until a couple year ago. I understand that the game was in LA and it probably didn't start until midnight in the east coast but really tells you about the popularity of the NBA at the time
This wasn't my favorite 30 for 30 ever, but the Jerry Lucas stories were worth sitting through all of it. That dude was different.

I'm wondering how often point shaving scandals have happened in college basketball that never made the light of day. There was a widely accepted rumor at the school I went to that in the late 80s that a couple of players were fixing games. It supposedly happened the two years prior to me attending there so not sure of its validity. However, while I was attending school there one of the biggest bookies on campus was the brother of the starting center. There were several calls I made to the brother that were answered by the starting center who would say his brother wasn't there but he could help out. He would take my bets down and multiple times there were on the game he was going to play that night.
I imagine it happened a lot, and probably still does (though much less), especially with the obscure schools that likely aren't on TV outside of their immediate area, if at all.

For example I went to an actual somewhat well known school, and for a year happened to live in a large house with the 6th man on the basketball team. Me and another guy I lived with were betting on some games, and our school had the occasional matchup where they were like 15-20 point favorites. We tried (sort of half joking but probably woulda went along with it if he said yes) to get him to shave some points once, and we were gonna bet like a couple grand each on the game and give him a cut..............he seriously ALMOST went for it.

Now, if us two idiots can damn near get this guy (who we really barely knew) to shave (and this was about 13 years ago), I can only imagine this happened quite a bit.

And as you can see in the Henry Hill/BC documentary, even if you have a couple guys on the take you still aren't guaranteed the dough.

I was shocked they were trying to fix games with such tight spreads though. Seems very stupid to try and fix a game with spreads of like 4 and 5 when your players you have in your pocket are not willing to lose the actual game, and you KNOW this about them.

Last edited by a moderator:
ghostguy123 said:
I imagine it happened a lot, and probably still does (though much less), especially with the obscure schools that likely aren't on TV outside of their immediate area, if at all.

For example I went to an actual somewhat well known school, and for a year happened to live in a large house with the 6th man on the basketball team. Me and another guy I lived with were betting on some games, and our school had the occasional matchup where they were like 15-20 point favorites. We tried (sort of half joking but probably woulda went along with it if he said yes) to get him to shave some points once, and we were gonna bet like a couple grand each on the game and give him a cut..............he seriously ALMOST went for it.

Now, if us two idiots can damn near get this guy (who we really barely knew) to shave (and this was about 13 years ago), I can only imagine this happened quite a bit.

And as you can see in the Henry Hill/BC documentary, even if you have a couple guys on the take you still aren't guaranteed the dough.

I was shocked they were trying to fix games with such tight spreads though. Seems very stupid to try and fix a game with spreads of like 4 and 5 when your players you have in your pocket are not willing to lose the actual game, and you KNOW this about them.
So you went to Cleveland State?

I'm shocked by his current humility and maturity. Yeah, he's almost 50... but he was always such a clown. I didn't expect a thoughtful, introspective guy in this piece.

I'm shocked by his current humility and maturity. Yeah, he's almost 50... but he was always such a clown. I didn't expect a thoughtful, introspective guy in this piece.
Pretty smart guy as well. Supposedly graduated a year early. They showed his recruitment letters from Princeton and Dartmouth.

Of all the momentos that his father wanted to store in his locker for your son why in the hell would you keep that NCAA Welcome to Russia shirt. Although looking at the company now, he wasn't that wrong.

The funny thing is that Boz is trying to show his kid why this character really screwed things up and he is just like 'dude this so is awesome'

Users who are viewing this thread