What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Exactly How Bad Will the Midterms be for the Democrats? (1 Viewer)

🤔 Have you not read the thread. I think it’s agreed the midterms will be bad for Dems.
You just said Biden has done good on Covid while Trump didn’t and deaths don’t matter, if that’s the case you are looking good as Covid was the main issue last election. Sounds like you have it figured out.  Again, let me know how it goes. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You just said Biden has done good on Covid while Trump didn’t and deaths don’t matter, if that’s the case you are looking good as Covid was the main issue last election. Sounds like you have it figured out.  Again, let me know how it goes. 
There have been more deaths for many factors outside of the government’s control. We are moving around much more freely would be my main contention. You never seem to acknowledge this.

I think midterms will be unkind to the Dems. They usually are for the party in the WH so it’s a safe bet. 

I know the facts don’t support your talking points but lets  be better, wouldn’t want you to get another hour suspension or whatever it was for this behavior earlier today. 
LOL, aren't you the one always accusing others of being a board cop? You're like projection personified.

Similarly, the fact that you took a fairly anodyne political analysis saying that Covid was likely to be a big issue this fall and that the Dems were likely to lose the House as pro-Biden spin says a lot more about your worldview than it does about anyone else's, CB.

Sabertooth said:
Isn’t that everybody’s problem though?  Why is it the democrats problem?  Do you think Republicans will be able to fix it? 
They will fix it just like they fixed heath care. Get into office and do nothing. 

Last edited by a moderator:
GoBirds said:
This relentless excuse making and never owning it when their side has clearly failed is one of the main reasons mid terms will bring significant change. Truly sad to read the endless excuses. Elections can’t get here fast enough. 
Glad to see you admit it.  :thumbup:

timschochet said:
As far as Covid goes, my hunch is that it’s ending. Very very soon nobody will be wearing masks, and folks who didn’t get vaccinated will simply be ignored. And once that happens nobody on either side will want to discuss it at all. Unless there is a new outbreak (Heaven forbid!) Covid won’t even be a topic in November for most voters. 
The one benefit to Democrats is the worst outbreaks have seemed to be in winter months after holidays (Thanksgiving and Christmas) and those are after the election. 

Personally I stand by what I said earlier...the election will largely be determined by inflation and the economy in general. But even if things are a lot better I'm not seeing the Democrats holding the house. It's a matter of how many seats they lose. 

They did one thing.  Cut taxes for super rich folks.  That’s it.  That’s the only objective.  Period. 
To be fair, did Biden raise their taxes?  One of the biggest things from COVID was the astronomical shift in wealth.
To be more fair, Biden doesn't have the power to raise taxes without buy-in from all 50 Senators.  He doesn't have that.  You should probably rephrase this as "did Manchin raise their taxes?"

timschochet said:
It’s all they have. Biden was so superior to Trump on this issue that it’s not even worth a comparison. But more people died under Biden so…
Effective? Keep saying that.   He ran Trumps playback.    Then he absolutely  #### the bed this fall.   He is only being saved because the covid is running its course.   As predicted  by trump.

To be more fair, Biden doesn't have the power to raise taxes without buy-in from all 50 Senators.  He doesn't have that.  You should probably rephrase this as "did Manchin raise their taxes?"
True, I don’t think Biden has much influence in things getting don’t though.  

Both parties are a joke at the moment. If the midterms are bad for the Democrats, it will be the GOPs turn next time. There are zero inspirational leaders, zero vision, just a clown car of unlikeable career politicians driving around acting like they are public servants. Every election cycle, the choices just seem to get worse. 

More than 1 million voters switch to GOP in warning for Dems

https://apnews.com/article/2022-midterm-elections-biden-covid-health-presidential-e50db07385831e67f866ec45402be8b9

WASHINGTON (AP) — A political shift is beginning to take hold across the U.S. as tens of thousands of suburban swing voters who helped fuel the Democratic Party’s gains in recent years are becoming Republicans.

More than 1 million voters across 43 states have switched to the Republican Party over the last year, according to voter registration data analyzed by The Associated Press. The previously unreported number reflects a phenomenon that is playing out in virtually every region of the country — Democratic and Republican states along with cities and small towns — in the period since President Joe Biden replaced former President Donald Trump.

But nowhere is the shift more pronounced — and dangerous for Democrats — than in the suburbs, where well-educated swing voters who turned against Trump’s Republican Party in recent years appear to be swinging back. Over the last year, far more people are switching to the GOP across suburban counties from Denver to Atlanta and Pittsburgh and Cleveland. Republicans also gained ground in counties around medium-size cities such as Harrisburg, Pennsylvania; Raleigh, North Carolina; Augusta, Georgia; and Des Moines, Iowa.

Interesting.  I've always been an independent but had considering picking a side so I could vote in the primaries.  I usually vote democrat more often in the higher level, non-local stuff.  But I had considered registering as a republican because I'm more concerned with some of the choices coming out of those races and people getting "primaried".  I wonder if that had any effect here as well.

Interesting.  I've always been an independent but had considering picking a side so I could vote in the primaries.  I usually vote democrat more often in the higher level, non-local stuff.  But I had considered registering as a republican because I'm more concerned with some of the choices coming out of those races and people getting "primaried".  I wonder if that had any effect here as well.
Is your thinking that you'd rather have a say in who the Dem is up against instead of which dem better represents your values? 

I've always been an (I) as well. 

Looks like I'm not the only one thinking about this...

Yeah this goes beyond party for me.  Trump must be stopped from running in 2024 and that is more important than who the Dem nominee is because frankly I am not a big fan of either party. 

They are both too extreme.

You know what? It might not be that bad after all. The Dems aren’t losing the Senate and now there’s a chance they won’t even lose the House, which would be amazing and almost unprecedented.

Abortion, plus Trump, plus wacky candidates (most of whom Trump is responsible for) have turned around what should have been a slam dunk for the GOP. Add to that that inflation (the ONE and only issue most Republican politicians want to talk about despite the fact that they appear to have no solutions to offer) appears to be receding. Plus Biden’s legislative accomplishments aren’t hurting.

Its still more likely than not that the GOP will win the House despite all this. But the red wave appears to be gone. It’s a contest.

You know what? It might not be that bad after all. The Dems aren’t losing the Senate and now there’s a chance they won’t even lose the House, which would be amazing and almost unprecedented.

Abortion, plus Trump, plus wacky candidates (most of whom Trump is responsible for) have turned around what should have been a slam dunk for the GOP. Add to that that inflation (the ONE and only issue most Republican politicians want to talk about despite the fact that they appear to have no solutions to offer) appears to be receding. Plus Biden’s legislative accomplishments aren’t hurting.

Its still more likely than not that the GOP will win the House despite all this. But the red wave appears to be gone. It’s a contest.
Lots of time between now and November. As always, too early to tell.

I agree with this guy. Possibly the first time ever. (y)

The dems for sure hold the Senate thanks to Trump.

And they'll likely lose their slim lead in the House as it stand now...but the economy is looking up friends. Lots of time for things to improve even more over the next three unemployment, inflation, and GDP reports.

This thread was started back in February with a bunch of conservatives confidently predicting a blowout. How come you didn’t tell them that it was too early to tell?

This thread was started back in February with a bunch of conservatives confidently predicting a blowout. How come you didn’t tell them that it was too early to tell?
IIRC, I'm pretty sure I was telling everyone that. Or, at the very least, I was withholding celebration.

People who get excited about "waves" and polls a year in advance and start making bold predictions are acting in the moment and not thinking how it can all turn to s### on a dime.

Six months from now will tell the tale.

When covid is in the backgroun, inflation is back in check, gas prices are down bigly, GDP is booming, the stock market is booming, and unemployment is at pre-pandemic levels, we'll see what happens.

Obviously the Republican party will do as Trump tells them, but I have a feeling independents will be happy.

Heck, Biden already walked Putin back from invading. Watch his approval ratings tick up from here.
You nailed everything here except Putin has obviously invaded.

I just don't get how the Republicans in PA could choose Oz over McCormick; especially against Fetterman. Trump did a good job in courting those "blue collar/rough around the edges" guys to come out and vote for the Republican Party....and this race is a complete 180 of that narrative; elite Hollywood rich guy vs. everyday palooka.

I just don't get how the Republicans in PA could choose Oz over McCormick; especially against Fetterman. Trump did a good job in courting those "blue collar/rough around the edges" guys to come out and vote for the Republican Party....and this race is a complete 180 of that narrative; elite Hollywood rich guy vs. everyday palooka.
Oz is backed by Trump and so is Mastriano, the GOP candidate for Governor. Both are trailing in recent polls by double digits.

Neither party seems want to get out of its own way or really want to win in the fall. I thought the GOP was smarter than showing their true intentions about abortion so early. I thought that would wait until next year, and that is going to get people out voting against them.

It looks like the Republican strategy of opposing most legislation in order to deny Dem "wins" is backfiring a little. They may have underestimated the widespread popularity of some of these bills and voters are going "wtf, GOP?"

The majority of the electorate is increasingly un-MAGA.

It looks like the Republican strategy of opposing most legislation in order to deny Dem "wins" is backfiring a little. They may have underestimated the widespread popularity of some of these bills and voters are going "wtf, GOP?"

I would love to see more state elections on abortion. See if Kansas was an outlier or not.

I would love to see more state elections on abortion. See if Kansas was an outlier or not.
Thanks to Kansas, you might see less states having votes like that. ;)

Isn’t McCormick a hedge fund guy? Never heard him speak but that seems out of touch as well to the blue collar guy,

Users who are viewing this thread