What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FanEx Analysis Draft (1 Viewer)

TC

Footballguy
Hiya -

Each year, many FF drafts are predated by the FanEx Analysis Draft. It is a well respected effort and the most viewed draft each season. We believe that a large part of the popularity is comparing the owners and guest analysis. As in the past, FanEx will invite select guest for a scheduled written analysis.

Join us May 14th for the kickoff at FanEx Football

Looks like they might have screwed up the first few selections. They have Faulk, Williams, LT2, when it looks like it should have been Williams, LT2 and Faulk.

Looks like they might have screwed up the first few selections. They have Faulk, Williams, LT2, when it looks like it should have been Williams, LT2 and Faulk.
Actually, the write-ups seem to support the text. I think its just the helmuts that have been misplaced. Pretty wierd. BTW, I wouldn't pick Faulk #1 overall. But this is one of those years where I'd prefer to have a #5 or 6 pick over the #1. I'd be happy with any of the top 6-7 backs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point made about how Alexander's hit or miss record last year wouldn't be as frustrating under this format.

Actually, the write-ups seem to support the text. I think its just the helmuts that have been misplaced. Pretty wierd. BTW, I wouldn't pick Faulk #1 overall. But this is one of those years where I'd prefer to have a #5 or 6 pick over the #1. I'd be happy with any of the top 6-7 backs.
Yup, I see that now. The only text up there when I last looked was for Alexander, so I'm just reading the others now.On a separate note, Green at 1.10 is a steal. No way he should be drafted after Henry and Edge.

As usual the FanEx analysis draft is RB heavy in the early rounds. 10 picks, all RBs. Now the WR / QB watch begins - who will be the first non RB picked and how soon?Any guesses?I'll say Harrison or Owens at 1.12 or 2.01.....

On a separate note, Green at 1.10 is a steal. No way he should be drafted after Henry and Edge.
Based on what? His degenerative knee? His subpar year last year?It's absolutely hilarious how guys hammer Shaun Alexander as being a disappointment last year, but somehow Green escapes scrutiny. He was expected to be at the top (a la the "holy trinity" last year of Faulk, Alexander and Green). He finished 12th in my league, and on a bad finish (26th among RBs over the last 4 weeks).I have no problem at all with Henry going before Green and can see a case where Edge goes ahead of him as well. It certainly isn't the clear cut case you seem to be implying.

Well, its coming up on Dodds pick, and 10 RB's are already off the board. Could he go with a pair or WR's at the turn?

Based on what? His degenerative knee? His subpar year last year?It's absolutely hilarious how guys hammer Shaun Alexander as being a disappointment last year, but somehow Green escapes scrutiny. He was expected to be at the top (a la the "holy trinity" last year of Faulk, Alexander and Green). He finished 12th in my league, and on a bad finish (26th among RBs over the last 4 weeks).I have no problem at all with Henry going before Green and can see a case where Edge goes ahead of him as well. It certainly isn't the clear cut case you seem to be implying.
Green scares me too. I have the 10th pick in my draft, and Green will probably be there in our league (start 3 or 4 wr's). Owens will go 4 or 5, Marvin will go 8 or 9 and Green will most likely be there.Last years performance from him scares me. Was it all attributed to his injury and is he 100%? I think Green has only 1 full 16 game season under his belt.I'm still leaning towards taking him over Henry though.

Hi,I am blocked from most fun sites at work. Can someone please post the results of this draft, maybe once per round, for those of us who can only see this board at work, since it is new and has not been reported yet?Appreciate it!

You got to be kidding me. Green was hurt much of the last 1/3 of the season and he still put up 1650 combined yards and 9 or 10 TDs. Shuan Alexander was not hurt at all last year and a huge part of his totals came in one game. That being said, I take him over Ahman. I'm NOT one of the guys bashing Alexander, by any means.James was coming off a much worse injury and wasn't close to his former self.Henry put up 1700 yards and 14 TDs the whole season. If Ahman wasn't injured, he'd have easily surpassed the yardage by about 200 yards and probably came very close to the TD numbers.And where do you get this 'degenerative knee' crap? He had a banged up knee, true, but you're making him out to be freakin' Terrelle Daivs with the knee problems.

Well, its coming up on Dodds pick, and 10 RB's are already off the board.  Could he go with a pair or WR's at the turn?
Ol' David is a smart FBG. :D While rushers are important, he can see that 1 point per reception assist WRs a great deal. My guess is that he must get a RB1 and that he goes RB +WR Owens... but I have no idea which RB it will be. Lewis? Taylor? Maybe Davis?

Ol' David is a smart FBG. :thumbup: While rushers are important, he can see that 1 point per reception assist WRs a great deal. My guess is that he must get a RB1 and that he goes RB +WR Owens... but I have no idea which RB it will be. Lewis? Taylor? Maybe Davis?
With one pt per reception, maybe Harrison and Tiki. Tiki's probably averaged about 70 receptions a year for the past four years.

Ol' David is a smart FBG. :thumbup: While rushers are important, he can see that 1 point per reception assist WRs a great deal. My guess is that he must get a RB1 and that he goes RB +WR Owens... but I have no idea which RB it will be. Lewis? Taylor? Maybe Davis?
In the most current set of rankings, David has Moss as his #1 WR, but that could change under a different scoring system.

Good point, according to David's rankings, the top 3 remaining players are Moss, Harrison and Owens, with Jamal Lewis at #4. It'll be interesting to see if he sticks to his guns and takes the 2 WR's, or goes off the board with a RB.

William Del Pilar is being a %^&*@! in this draft. While the order of some players taken may be a mild surprise, there 10 players gone are pretty much who you would expect to be gone. He should have had at least two ideas of what hemight do if 10 rb's came off the board. Hopefully, he trades this pick and that explains why it took so long. Otherwise, it becomes clear that this man had no plan going in.

William Del Pilar is being a %^&*@! in this draft. While the order of some players taken may be a mild surprise, there 10 players gone are pretty much who you would expect to be gone. He should have had at least two ideas of what hemight do if 10 rb's came off the board. Hopefully, he  trades this pick and that explains why it took so long. Otherwise, it becomes clear that this man had no plan going in.
For the record, we have an 18-hour pick clock -- Hurrying is not often encouraged. Yes, Del has contacted several members about trading out of his 1.11 slot. While FanEx is traditionally RB-Strong in it's drafting, we have never before seen TEN straight rushers picked. Last year, Warner, Manning, and Owens were first round picks. There were four non-RBs in the first rounds of 2000 and 2001 FAD.

Hi,I am blocked from most fun sites at work. Can someone please post the results of this draft, maybe once per round, for those of us who can only see this board at work, since it is new and has not been reported yet?Appreciate it!
1.01 RB Marshall Faulk By Shannon O'Leary of FanEx Selecting Faulk at the number one is a bit of a gamble. He was banged up last year, and the Rams really struggled last year. But Faulk's talent was too good to pass up. He is very capable of being the number one fantasy player. When drafting a healthy Faulk, it is like drafting both a running back and a wide receiver. Another part of Faulk's woes last year was the health of Orlando Pace. I am confident the line will perform better this year. If this offense struggles again this year, Martz will be looking for a new job. I would have considered Holmes here, but the nature of his injury concerns me.I did consider Tomlinson here, but Faulk's upside was too great for me to walk away from. Besides, he has been my favorite player since he came in the league. 1.01 RB Marshall Faulk By Guest Marc LevinMarshal Faulk -- Those two words have become synonymous with both NFL greatness and fantasy superstardom. There's a reason picking running backsearly is called the "Faulk" strategy. It is hard to argue with anyone pinning their hopes for the year on a perennial superstud from the running back position. And, the reports out of St. Louis are that Marshall has been participating in the team's off-season workouts, even though he has bypassed these voluntary workouts in past years, and looks to return stronger thanever. He has shown a dedication and fire to make himself the best again. He also appears ready to show that last year was a fluke and the Rams will be back and better than ever this year. I anticipate a climb back to the top of the fantasy football world for Marshall. The pick here at 1.01 is a mild surprise given the fact that Marshall just turned 30, and his body started to show the wear of the NFL last year. But, his high ankle sprain was not a wear and tear injury and Marshall was phenomenal last year when he could play. The first 5 or 6 RBs available are really a crapshoot - it is just important to get one of them. This was as valid a first overall selection as any of Priest Holmes, Ricky Williams, or Ladainian Tomlinson. 1.02 RB Ricky WilliamsBy Duane Cahill of Pitt Tribune-Review Over 2200 combined rushing and receiving yards plus 17 touchdowns equals a number one overall pick in my book. The fact that I was able to get Williams at number two makes this selection that much sweeter. How muchanalysis do you need on a no-brainer pick all Williams? 1.02 RB Ricky WilliamsBy Guest Herbie Teope of DraftZone.comRun Ricky Run! -- What makes Williams a bonafide stud is not just his tremendous talent, it is also the system MIA OC Norv Turner incorporates. Turner’s system has produced RB studs galore over the years. Emmitt Smith in his heydays, Terry Allen, Stephen Davis, and LaDainian Tomlinson all thrived in this system. You get a RB in the mold of Williams in a system that is run oriented guarantees you are bound to have yourself a gold nugget. MIA recently announced (4 May 2003, The Sun- Sentinel) Williams was also going to assume the role as the team’s 3rd down RB, which equals more touches. It’s not like he can’t catch either. In his last season with the Saints (2001), Williams produced 60 receptions. Add the potential carries and receptions in MIA this season, “Run & Catch Ricky!” will be the battle cry heard throughout the land in 2003. You have to love that, and I’m sure Mr. Cahill does too. - Just one opinion out of many.- 1.03 RB Ladainian TomlinsonBy Tony Holm of Fantasy Sharks1.04 RB Shaun Alexander By TC Cannon of YouthFantasyFootball 1.05 RB Priest HolmesBy Scott Engel of CBS Sportsline 1.06 RB Clinton Portis By Greg Kellogg of Fantasy Asylum1.07 Deuce McAllisterBy Brian Hulett of FanEx 1.08 Travis HenryBy John Hansen of The Guru Report 1.08 RB Travis HenryBy Guest Victor Smith1.09 RB Edgerrin JamesBy Emil Kadlec of FF Pro Forecast 1.10 RB Ahman Green By Commissioner Jerome Hickerson of FanExText ***********************************************************************Faulk at #1 is simply horrible.To each their own I guess... but drafting an old beat up running back who tends to be injury prone at #1 is off the charts insane.LOL at that guy.

In the most current set of rankings, David has Moss as his #1 WR, but that could change under a different scoring system.
Or maybe David does not draft from the rankings that he posts on this board. :bag:

While FanEx is traditionally RB-Strong in it's drafting, we have never before seen TEN straight rushers picked. Last year, Warner, Manning, and Owens were first round picks. There were four non-RBs in the first rounds of 2000 and 2001 FAD.
This may be true, but anyone drafting a QB in the first round in a 12 redraft league is a knucklehead. Those Warner and Manning drafters probably did not fair very well. There are simply too many good QB's out there to eat up a first round pick on one. So, to expect one to to go in the first round is just plain silly.At 1 pt per reception, the only players that should be surprises- and mild ones at that- to not be off the board- are Harrison and Owens.I do not encourage rushing picks. Most good owners map out who should fall to them at round one and then who will probably be available in round two. After that, it is very hard to project who will go where. However, the first round is a round where you can map out exactly what you are going to do if two or three different situations arise. He could have easily picked out his top 14 players and figured out what he would do if his best value was either a rb or a wr.

This may be true, but anyone drafting a QB in the first round in a 12 redraft league is a knucklehead. Those Warner and Manning drafters probably did not fair very well. There are simply too many good QB's out there to eat up a first round pick on one. So, to expect one to to go in the first round is just plain silly.
Is Vick considered a RB or QB?

I do not encourage rushing picks. Most good owners map out who should fall to them at round one and then who will probably be available in round two. After that, it is very hard to project who will go where. However, the first round is a round where you can map out exactly what you are going to do if two or three different situations arise. He could have easily picked out his top 14 players and figured out what he would do if his best value was either a rb or a wr.
I agree. It just goes to show that there are annoying drafters even in the big name leagues as in the yahoo leagues.

Hasn't the stud wr theory been discussed ad nausem?Almost everyone drafting at the end of round one with two brain cells to rub together has thought-What if it comes to me, there has been a run on rb's and all of the big 3 are on the board.And the answer, in 1pt per reception leagues- is raft Marvin Friggin Harrison.

Hasn't the stud wr theory been discussed ad nausem?Almost everyone drafting at the end of round one with two brain cells to rub together has thought-What if it comes to me, there has been a run on rb's and all of the big 3 are on the board.And the answer, in 1pt per reception leagues- is raft Marvin Friggin Harrison.
Look who won it last year, who his WRs were, and who his RBs were.I must be missing something, I can't find one pt. per reception here

Look who won it last year, who his WRs were, and who his RBs were.I must be missing something, I can't find one pt. per reception here
Good point.Here is last years winning roster:Bledsoe, Drew BUF QB 317.85 10 Brees, Drew SDC QB 237.20 8 Vick, Michael ATL QB 333.70 4 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Barber, Tiki NYG RB 333.60 7 Barlow, Kevan SFO RB (P) 125.40 4 Jones, Thomas ARI RB (O) 94.40 6 Zereoue, Amos PIT RB 176.60 3 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Bates, D'wayne MIN WR 142.90 5 Dwight, Tim SDC WR 141.40 8 Harrison, Marvin IND WR 384.20 4 Morgan, Quincy CLE WR 197.50 10 Moss, Randy MIN WR 292.45 5 Robinson, Koren SEA WR 238.20 5 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Conwell, Ernie NOS TE 96.90 9 Gonzalez, Tony KCC TE 182.30 9 Ricks, Mikhael DET TE 78.90 5 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Elam, Jason DEN PK 133.00 9 Nedney, Joe TEN PK 118.00 7 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Buccaneers, Tampa Bay TBB TM 177.00 10 Patriots, New England NEP TM 128.00 7 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 20 Total Players Keep in mind he also somehow got Tiki after the second round which means... if there is 1pt per reception, a lot of people in his league are not very good. He also got Vick, who held the value of nearly another RB by himself.

1.01 RB Marshall Faulk

By Shannon O'Leary of FanEx

Besides, he has been my favorite player since he came in the league.
What an awesome reason to draft a player #1 overall :huh:

In a mind surprise, Dodds claimed two rushers - 1.12 RB Barber NYG and 2.01 RB Taylor JAX.

What an awesome reason to draft a player #1 overall :huh:
Let's play fair, and quote more than just the final thought of the FAULK analysis..1.01 RB Marshall Faulk

By Shannon O'Leary of FanEx

Selecting Faulk at the number one is a bit of a gamble. He was banged up last year, and the Rams really struggled last year. But Faulk's talent was too good to pass up. He is very capable of being the number one fantasy player.

When drafting a healthy Faulk, it is like drafting both a running back and a wide receiver. Another part of Faulk's woes last year was the health of Orlando Pace. I am confident the line will perform better this year. If this offense struggles again this year, Martz will be looking for a new job. I would have considered Holmes here, but the nature of his injury concerns me. I did consider Tomlinson here, but Faulk's upside was too great for me to walk away from.

If there is 1 pt per reception how can M Harrison still be on the board? He is a lock to catch 100 passes again this year. I think he is top 12 material without adding the extra point.

Before I get toasted here for not taking Marvin Harrison or even Randy Moss who both would have been good selections, you have to understand your company here.Drafting from the 12th spot means I will not be drafting again until pick number 36. As much as I hated to "overpay" for RBs here, I think it will get even worse in the second and third rounds. Likely every RB other than the top 6 will be too expensive in this draft. That's because everyone wants 3-4 starters with this format.The piece of note is that each week the Top 2 RBs and Top 2 WRs and an additional wildcard all count in your points. If you want solid RB points each week, you need 3-4 guys that will start. Since every owner knows this expect rounds 2 and 3 to look a lot like round 1 with an exception of a few QBs and the other two dominant WRs sprinkled in.

I `m curious why you took Taylor over Harisson. Fred Taylor`s injury history is well known while Harisson is as steady a player as you will find in fantasy football. I like the Barber pick with 1 point per reception Barber is gold in this format.

Because at pick 36 and 37 there won't be many good backs left and I will need two more. I won't argue that Harrison "looks" to be the safer pick, but I feel I can make up WR points later in the draft.As for picking Taylor, I like his situation much better now that Mack is not there to vulture TDs.Remember I don't have to pick WR starters each week so 7 "scrub" receivers can have enough good games to save me at WR. I get the top 2-3 performers at both the RB and WR position. I believe this type of format strongly favors getting good backs that catch out of the backfield and lots of WRs and QBs so you get enough explosive games.I agree that in most leagues I would have taken Harrison here, but in this format I want RBs early and often.BTW, I won this last year with almost an identical strategy of passing on QBs and WRs until after round 4 and scored the most points ever in the FAD.

Remember I don't have to pick WR starters each week so 7 "scrub" receivers can have enough good games to save me at WR.
Exactly. :thumbdown: Additionally, Dillon will do well in this format because you will never miss one of his monster games. For this I'd bump Alexander too. Gotta play the rules and this year it is a real benefit to be drafting in the top five. The reason is largely for the corresponding picks in the third round.

I'm with you on theme drafting. Last year I took everyone that got hurt:QB WarnerRB DRhodesRB PHolmesWR CChambers

I see what you mean about the rbs going early and often. There won`t be much left when it comes around again. I was looking at it a little differently though. You were talking about adding scrub wrs later in the draft that have blowup weeks. I was thinking the same thing about td vulture and pass catching backs ( guys like Crockett , Moe Williams). Guys that you can`t start weekly but will have big games during the year. I didn`t follow last years draft so I`m not sure what their value would be. Thanks for the reply you`re right it`s easier to find a breakout wr than a breakout rb.

well Dodds real good chance you get bottom end WR's coming up...Interested to see who you take
That's just it though...it doesn't really matter. With this format, quantity damn near equals quality (assuming all of your receivers are decent starters). My guess is that there'll be a nice WR duo sittin' there for you at the end of round three, making your strategy look sound and putting you at the top of the "Best draft so far" lists.

My guess is that there'll be a nice WR duo sittin' there for you at the end of round three, making your strategy look sound and putting you at the top of the "Best draft so far" lists.
It's gonna be hard to beat the first 3-4 drafters as they have a huge advantage this year more than any I remember.

Atta boys (great picks):1.07 Deuce McAllister. Say hello to Marshall II.2.03 Marvin Harrison. Gotta love getting the #1 WR in the 2nd round, even though I agree 110% with David Dodds reasoning for passing on him.Head scratchers (huh?):1.01 Marshall Faulk. If Warner's healthy, Faulk stays healthy, Martz goes back to what works on offense, and all the stars align, this is a good pick.1.09 Edgerrin James. I'm as big an Edge supporter as there is, but not at 9th overall.2.01 Fred Taylor. Sorry David, but until he shows me he can play in 32 straight, I'm not going to count on him doing it.2.02 Stephen Davis. I think that he'll live up to this draft position, make no mistake. But since trades are obviously allowed, why not trade down to get him?Nothing I like better than commenting on decisions I had nothing to do with. :thumbup:

2.01 Fred Taylor. Sorry David, but until he shows me he can play in 32 straight, I'm not going to count on him doing it.
C'mon now. What's it going to be, "48 straight games" next year?

Wull, the first 3-4 drafters can land a stud RB who will prolly be a scorer for the team every week and a high one at that. At the 2.09-2.12 spot they can get a decent #2 RB or get a falling Moss. It's at the 3.1-3.4 spot where the #3 RB or a Moulds can get picked up. What's out there at 3.12-4.1 for Dodds? Sure a nice combo WR set and he has a s good a chance as any on lucking out there. Only slightly behind this probability is the guy at 4.09-4.12 for his nice WR combo. It's like the 1.1-1.4 guy yields a little all through the draft but has the huge bump of a top stud RB.If your question is about "the more than ever" remark, then I'd have to say that the abundance/uncertainty of good QBs throws all the focus on the WRs where a lot of stress is going to be placed on tiering them. But after the first two tiers the pools are large and the top to bottom distinction seems to be very subjective. While in other years this could be patiently exploited in the late-middle rounds, this year there's going to be a WR run until the head lemming takes the #3-#4 overall QB when things break out into a more diversified TE, QB, backup RB draft. In Dodds spot, I see him stuck on the backside of these runs. It's going to be hard to be distinctive enough to beat out 12 others while being sane in an effort to be competitive. This is what I've noticed this year in the few mocks I've been in. I always take a late spot for practice and I am always reacting and never dictating. His best chance is to make some kind of daring deal to get into the top of the third. If lady luck is going to kiss him, she's going to have to find him among the leaders early on.

I was wondering why you stopped at 1.04 and not 1.06?I actually like David's spot, last pick in the 1st. The first team to get four players is an advantage that I find beneficial.

Users who are viewing this thread