What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fantasy D/STs rest of the season (1 Viewer)

KingDread

Footballguy
I'm just curious as to what defenses you guys think will be the best the rest of the way.

Obviously the Bears D has been insane this year, and I expect them to stay consistently great. I believe they are the cream of this years fantasy defenses. I would say they will end up being the #1 overall defense/special teams this season.

One team that stands out to me is the Denver Broncos. They only have 2 tough matchups the rest of the season (next week against the Saints and week 15 against the Ravens). Most of the rest of their games could end up being cake walks. I can see this team getting big leads and racking up a lot of sacks and INTs.

Houston and San Francisco would be the other 2 teams that I would consider elite.

Arizona, Seattle, and Minnesota are solid, but I'm still not entirely sure about them.

Who would you want for the fantasy playoffs, weeks 15-16 (and 14 if that is part of your playoffs)?

SF vs MIA @NE @SEA. Week 15 @NE could be problematic but SF is just really good.

CHI @MIN vs GB @ARI. The way GB is playing, I wouldn't want to start anybody against them. So I would want a Week 15 alternative if I had them.

HOU @NE vs IND vs MIN. Weeks 15 and 16 look good to me.

Is DEN really elite or did they benefit from an epic SD meltdown? They do have a favorable schedule.

MIN looks good as well, but I wouldn't want to start them Week 16 @HOU.

NYJ and ARI also have favorable schedules down the stretch. In looking ahead, I'll probably try to free up 2 spots for D/ST for playoff matchups.

Also, the Steelers are tough to figure out because they are second only to the 49ers in total defense, but they don't get to the QB like they used to which limits them as a fantasy D.

I'd rather continue to add/drop a defense weekly, ideally you want to have 2 roster spots dedicated to D/ST and be one week ahead of the curve with matchups. I've found this to be the best strategy, personally.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd rather continue to add/drop a defense weekly, ideally you want to have 2 roster spots dedicated to D/ST and be one week ahead of the curve with matchups. I've found this to be the best strategy, personally.
This is my usual strategy, but if you have a strong, deep team and are able to trade for one of these high end defenses, who would you want?

This. I gave up in trying to stash long term lotto tickets and started doing the same with defenses. Picked the Chargers up prior to this week's games. They have a 2 good upcoming matchups, with the potential for 3 depending on which Josh Freeman decides to show up in Week 10.I was holding on to the Bills all season due to their cake schedule at the end of the year. But, their defense is looking like the worst in the league now, so I'm not sure if they could even capitalize on those matchups.

I own the Steelers and picked up the Broncos last week (dropped the Cardinals). Broncos had a brutal openening run, but like others said schedule gets much better. I need to decide on Steelers vs. RG3 (team had 450+ yards against the GMen) or Broncos at home against the Saints. Believe it or not, I think Drew is susceptible to picks/sacks and am leaning that way.

But I do like the Bronocs the rest of the way.

This. I gave up in trying to stash long term lotto tickets and started doing the same with defenses. Picked the Chargers up prior to this week's games. They have a 2 good upcoming matchups, with the potential for 3 depending on which Josh Freeman decides to show up in Week 10.I was holding on to the Bills all season due to their cake schedule at the end of the year. But, their defense is looking like the worst in the league now, so I'm not sure if they could even capitalize on those matchups.
We're in the exact same situation from the defensive aspect.

I've been holding the Cardinals for about 5-6 weeks, but they have a run of San Fran, Green Bay, BYE, Atlanta, so they aren't worth hanging onto for another month. I think a committee is really the right approach now.

I'm going to try to grab San Diego for the next few weeks, then re-evaluate who is available after that.

From what's left out there for me I'm shooting for ATL this week, DEN weeks 9-12 and NYJ 13-16. May have to carry 2 at some point since another owner is also switching weekly

Buf and Mia have a few good matchups to platoon with another DT. Oak at KC has some potential this week.
Can't see relying on the Bills, no matter what the matchup. They are a sieve. Just un-good as a tackle football defense at this time.

Atlanta and Denver intrigue. Both offenses can score points, which is great, with Denver having probably the greater room to improve due to Manning getting more comfortable.

Denver has 18 sacks; Atlanta has 16. Both are past the bye.

Atlanta has 10 interceptions to Denver's 6.

Who can tell us how these two stack up regarding secondary talent?

I normally lean towards sacks as a more reliable indicator because interceptions can be so subject to luck.

Input?

Anyone have any new thoughts? I have Denver, but their matchup is terrible, Atlanta, San Diego, Miami are still available. Thoughts for ROY?

This is great except for those of us who might have FA Fees. I have two leagues (out of 6) with $10 FA pickups. That #### gets expensive really quick :P

Posted another thread wihtout seeing this one but SD has strong playoff matchups and has been a surprisingly good Matchup play at Defense. They're certainly not a set and forget squad as they get destroyed by league's premeire offensive units... but against weaker teams they have done very well.

This is great except for those of us who might have FA Fees. I have two leagues (out of 6) with $10 FA pickups. That #### gets expensive really quick :P
$25 for us. I know.

We have to hold 2 defenses and have transaction fees. I am holding onto NE and SD for the rest of the season. The Ds are not the best but they are ok. Their schedules are good.

Just picked up SD to go along with NE.

wk8 - NE @ STL. Not crazy about this matchup. I don't think NE will score a ton, hopefully at least an average amount.

wk9 - SD at home vs KC. Great matchup on paper. It's NE's bye week and I got SD specifically for this week.

wk10 - NE at home vs BUF.

wk11 - NE at home vs IND.

wk15 - SD at home vs CAR.

wk12,13,14,16,17 not sure yet.

Users who are viewing this thread