What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fantasy Football Implications from MNF Game (1 Viewer)

Dwayne Hoover

Footballguy
Curious how your league will decide to handle the situation from Monday Night Football considering a lot of us were likely in a championship week.

I know we are still in a hypothetical situation but think we can play out what the hypotheticals will be and how you will handle.

If the game gets restarted this week, that's the best outcome and for sure would continue the championship until completion.

If the game is forfeited or permanently suspended, that's where it will be tricky. My gut tells me to treat it like a finished game though. If the game is called, the scoring is over. It does suck for people with players still going but would look at it like an injury cutting the player's game short.

So I lean scoring it for the players it as it stands at 7-3

What would your league do?

Curious how your league will decide to handle the situation from Monday Night Football considering a lot of us were likely in a championship week.

I know we are still in a hypothetical situation but think we can play out what the hypotheticals will be and how you will handle.

If the game gets restarted this week, that's the best outcome and for sure would continue the championship until completion.

If the game is forfeited or permanently suspended, that's where it will be tricky. My gut tells me to treat it like a finished game though. If the game is called, the scoring is over. It does suck for people with players still going but would look at it like an injury cutting the player's game short.

So I lean scoring it for the players it as it stands at 7-3

What would your league do?
We haven't had this discussions yet but I'm thinking we'll use the average weekly scores of the players to determine the official champion but chop the pot. Obviously if the game is somehow rescheduled we'd use the official scores but don't see how a reschedule is possible.

Will the NFL count the partial stats from last night as official if the game is canceled? If so, I don’t know how fantasy leagues can count those stats then. Most fantasy league services likely will remove them from the scoring.

I would try to come up with a non biased way to determine expected points for the players impacted and set a baseline for likely outcome.

IE: based on math player A had a 20% chance to win, player B had 80%. Then walk that process back a little toward 50/50. So in the example above, give player A 30% of the pot.

I posted in the other thread, but if it gets cancelled, I'm leaning towards using the stats from next week's games for the Bills and Bengals players only and plugging them into this week's score. Both teams will be playing relevant division games, while many other players won't be.

I would try to come up with a non biased way to determine expected points for the players impacted and set a baseline for likely outcome.

IE: based on math player A had a 20% chance to win, player B had 80%. Then walk that process back a little toward 50/50. So in the example above, give player A 30% of the pot.
Why not just use the average points scored per game for this year for those players?

In both leagues where I'm in the final, we've chopped first/second place money. One was basically 50/50 going into MNF, the other about 65/35, so seemed equitable enough. I only play in private leagues, public cash leagues could get a bit contentious

Not certain yet. I’m commish and also in the title game for two leagues. In both I have a healthy lead and both have Burrow vs the opponent Chase.

As a commish and also with heavy odds I win the title I hope the game is resumed this week.

If it isn’t resumed I’m going to need to think about it

I commish two leagues and have two totally different situations:

-In one league, I am in championship game and trialing by 4. Have Chase and he has Burrow and McPherson. After the TD to Boyd, my slim chance went to virtually nothing. In good conscious, I can't do anything but declare him the champ. Wouldn't be right IMO to replay in week 18

-In other league, the guys playing were actually tied at 109.2 (yes, really bad game for both). One had Higgins and other had McPherson. Obviously Higgins guy had a better chance of winning, but certainly not a sure thing. Assuming the game isn't finished, I am giving them the option of being co-champs or playing week 18.

As a commish, fairness and common sense should come into play here. But obviously, going to be a lot of disagreements.

If the game is cancelled, my thought is to count the Bills and Bengals players' scores for week 18 in the fantasy championship games.
Muddying the water is that if the game is canceled they will almost certainly rest the starters in week18 as they would have nothing at all to play for.

If the Chiefs somehow lose Saturday, then the Bills would have a reason to play starters.

If the game is cancelled - all scores stay "as is" and whoever was in the lead is the league champion - it sucks but it would be akin to a player getting hurt early in the game.

As far as the prize pool - the two owners can decide to split the first and second place money but that's up to them.

I thin there's a non-zero chance we finish the game.

If that doesn't happen, I think Fantasy Platforms will offer a solution of their own.

My league is total points through week 18, so we have a tough decision to make.

But I’m not really thinking of that right now, just about Damar. Will deal if/when the time comes.

I am a commissioner, am in the final with Allen and Mixon - behind but projected to win. I don't see a way to implement these workarounds and keep bias (or suggestion of bias) out of it. A Week 18 "do over" benefits my opponent. Using average stats or Week 18 results for Bills / Bengals clearly benefits me. Sharing the championship with an asterisk seems like the best choice.

I agree that we sort of have to wait and see what the NFL decides before we can make any decisions. I'm the Commish in my league (29th year) and in the Super Bowl, up 51 in the clubhouse; he has Allen, Mixon and Bass. In our league, their season average is 46, so I was expecting it to go down to the wire. It's a very tough call, but there's not much to do until we have all of the information. I know it's still early, but I'd like to hear Joe's take.

I don't like the week 18 do over personally. Its a creative solution but feel like that's too much of a bending of the rules.
Yeah. Can't just ignore week 17 and start over

Unless there was a situation where either team had a fairly equal chance to win. In that situation, I would give them the option of being co-champs or playing week 18

Up 45pts with my opponent having Allen left. He has scored 40+ (but not 45) on 3 occasions this season so I guess it was theoretically possible he reached 45.

I'd personally be on-board with just awarding all players involved last night their seasonal average (or maybe even taking their points from week 18 and adding to the score) and maybe doing a pot split with my opponent or something. We're hosted on ESPN so I guess we'll have to wait for any official announcements. I'm not at all in favor of moving to a week 18 redo scenario, far too much player volatility there.

Incredibly enough, all 4 of our games: Championship, Third Place, and two in the Consolation bracket for 7th & 9th - everyone was 100% done. I don't even know how that's possible but sure am glad we don't have to deal with it.

IMO, you do nothing until a decision has been made.

If the game is cancelled, the game is cancelled. It's a once in three generations occurrence, just gonna have to live with the fact that someone got minimal/no points from BUF-CIN.

:shrug:

Just checked on Yahoo (where all of my leagues are hosted). For the time being, they're treating it as if the if the scores are final with only the first-quarter stats. But they haven't made any official announcement yet, and really, how could they?

I wasn't in any championship matches, but it looks like, with one exception, the matchups in my leagues are either decided or all-but (ie, team still has Chase left to play but is down 70). In one league, however, the team currently ahead has Davis and Bass and the opponent has Allen. Projections heading into the game were that it would come down to the wire.

I'm generally not a "hypotheticals upon hypotheticals" kind of guy, but if the game ends up never being played I would vote to have the two teams split the pot. In my other leagues, I would vote to award the championship to the team that's ahead by an insurmountable margin. But I suspect every league will have to look at its particular situation and come to a consensus

If the game is cancelled - all scores stay "as is" and whoever was in the lead is the league champion - it sucks but it would be akin to a player getting hurt early in the game.
I would be plenty pissed if this was the decision made by my commish. If you're going this route then just use scores from Week 16, at least they were all complete games.

The league where I’m commish - toilet bowl is easy, already over with the only player left on the winning team.

The SB gets interesting because it’s already set up as a two week combined score. So if the game isn’t made up, I’ve suggested my inclination is to double down on week 18 scores for the three players left to play week 17. That’s Burrow, chase and Boyd so definitely big factors. It may be better to just add their average ppg. Something to consider.
I say suggested because I’ll consider the opinions of the competing teams. Also, I’m stepping down after this game so that’s a small factor.

I would imagine many leagues began to think through these situations during the recent Covid seasons. Hopefully many commissioners thought through situations where 1 or a handful of games were not completed in a given week.

I'm sure many of you saw this, but myfantasyleague.com sent this out last night...

The Bills-Bengals Monday Night game was postponed in the first quarter after a life threatening injury to Bills safety Damar Hamlin. At this time, the NFL hasn't made any decisions about whether the game will be canceled or rescheduled for a later date. Therefore, the stats for the Monday night game are still unofficial and are not final.

We understand that many fantasy leagues are relying on the outcome of this NFL game to determine their fantasy championship. However, we have to wait until the NFL makes a decision on the game before we know how to handle the game for fantasy league purposes. This is an unprecedented situation, so we appreciate your patience while we await further news.

I'm sure many of you saw this, but myfantasyleague.com sent this out last night...

The Bills-Bengals Monday Night game was postponed in the first quarter after a life threatening injury to Bills safety Damar Hamlin. At this time, the NFL hasn't made any decisions about whether the game will be canceled or rescheduled for a later date. Therefore, the stats for the Monday night game are still unofficial and are not final.

We understand that many fantasy leagues are relying on the outcome of this NFL game to determine their fantasy championship. However, we have to wait until the NFL makes a decision on the game before we know how to handle the game for fantasy league purposes. This is an unprecedented situation, so we appreciate your patience while we await further news.
Yeah, I’m not relying on MFL to make our decision.

Why not just use the average points scored per game for this year for those players?
This is how we will do it.

Just checked on Yahoo (where all of my leagues are hosted). For the time being, they're treating it as if the if the scores are final with only the first-quarter stats. But they haven't made any official announcement yet, and really, how could they?
I wouldn't envy these league hosts, hosting thousands and thousands of private leagues and being faced with the need to impose a "one size fits all" solution on them.

I’m fortunate enough to be in the championship in all three leagues I am in. Currently leading in one with my Diggs and Chase vs his Allen and Davis; leading in one vs his Burrow, and well behind in the third with my Allen and Mixon. I’m tempted to say we should figure all of this out before the actual NFL decision, as it limits the ability for vested interests to come into play.

On one hand, luck determines championships all the time. I had Henry, Pollard, and Hopkins in 2 out of 3 leagues. Ultimately this would be no different.

On the other hand, it feels extremely unfair to a team that would have most likely won had the game been played to conclusion.

The solution I want to propose is that we split the first/second place cash based upon current percentage of win stats on the sites, which appear to be assuming the games get played, and then let the actual cup be awarded based upon the ultimate results - like chopping a poker tournament.

This game has too many implications in the NFL for them to outright cancel it. I suppose there is a non-zero chance that they will postpone to see what happens in week 18 and if the outcome still matters they will continue with the game and push back the NFL playoffs. I don't really see any way that the game will not matter in some way so I expect them to eventually finish the game.

Based on that the fantasy games from week 17 are on hold until this game is finished and then calculate from there.

What does Vegas, draft kings, and the rest do?

Fanduel and I assume Draft Kings go final Wednesday night regardless of what happens. Single game contests will be voided and duel game slates that become one game slates are voided as I recall.

Vegas voids specific bets for this game. For season long win totals the people over on Buffalo lose their money.

Most big contests will have some sort of rule for this situation. This week is actually easier for most as waivers aren't running in most leagues.

I'm wondering about taking the championship teams h2h rating accross the whole 16 weeks.

Or week 2 -16 to avoid a tie

I'm the commish and involved in a consolation game for money. I'm holding off for now but IF the game is canceled outright my plan is to chop the pot according to the % chances to win designated by Yahoo going into the game. I had 20% chance so I'll chop 3rd place pot 20/80 with my opponent. That's my plan at least for now.

I would imagine many leagues began to think through these situations during the recent Covid seasons. Hopefully many commissioners thought through situations where 1 or a handful of games were not completed in a given week.
I remember waivers running on Thursday instead of Wednesday. No more waivers so that helps keep it open for now.

So many ways, as league commissioners, that we could go, but I'm not that into plugging in season-long averages. In going by FGB standard scoring, Joe Mixon, as an example, gets 12.8 points (season average) when he's put up 8.9 over the last 4 and would have had a tough matchup vs. the Bills? Not that any solution is going to be 100% fair, but that's a tough one to me. I don't think using averages, projections or hypotheticals is a fair way to determine a championship.

Just spit-balling, but if this game gets wiped off the books, does it make any sense to give a team its highest-scoring bench players from Week 17, swap them in for any Bills/Bengals players they started, and just live with that?

This game was obviously cancelled after the game began, but if you found out that Mixon was out with COVID an hour before kickoff with every other game in the books, we have an emergency pickup rule in place (especially for the playoffs) where you could get one of his backups, if available and if you didn't already have Samaje Perine, Trayveon Williams or whoever was active. Our rosters lock once the playoffs start, so this was mostly put in place if you went into the postseason with 2 kickers or 2 QBs and both got hurt before your next game. If you go into the playoffs with only one kicker or QB, then that's on you and you don't get a pickup if he gets hurt. Anyway, under these circumstances, where you're potentially inserting bench players as a solution to this very unique issue, if you started Mixon over Jamaal Williams, you'd be pretty lucky. If you had someone like David Montgomery as your highest-scoring RB on your bench, it would suck, but at least you're going with players on your roster who you would have plugged in if you knew ahead of time Mixon was out. If you chose to go into the playoffs with Josh Allen and no backup, then you get the points he scored before the game was cancelled, that's the risk you took and that's it. Thoughts?

I would be plenty pissed if this was the decision made by my commish. If you're going this route then just use scores from Week 16, at least they were all complete games.

To be clear what I'm saying is if the league decides to continue the game then our fantasy game continues. If the league cancels the game, the team in the lead will "win" that week - it really would be akin to a player getting hurt. As far as the money, I leave that up to the teams to decide (I believe the teams in the championship game will split 1st and 2nd place money).

If you were in my league and got pissed at me, I'd tell you to shut the **** up and drop it - things happen. Your solution of counting Week 16 stats for a Week 17 game is just as "bad" imo.

Using Week 18 is also not a great solution, imo. What if the Bengals sit Burrow? How is that fair. There is no solution that will make everyone happy. I find it odd that you would argue one solution is the correct one.

Users who are viewing this thread