What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite 31 Songs by US Artists According to a Bunch of Middle-Aged Dummies (1 Viewer)

The Shins seem to be pretty underappreciated around here.

I picked "New Slang" as one of my first twenty-three out. That's actually a better playlist than my top thirty-one, IMO.

Not that I expect anybody to notice or listen, but for the curious, it's a better, punk-ier/rap-ier/moodier mix. I'm not sure I hit all the good American vinyl, either.

@Manster this King Black Acid is awesome.
I'm glad you like it. Daniel Riddle is essentially King Black Acid, along with different groups of musicians over the years. Love is a Long Song is the most accessible material from KBA, and I agree, it is awesome. Dreamy, melancholy, powerful at times...Sunlit is another one to check outl. Its 3 tracks that are like 20 minutes apiece......good headphone drift away stuff.

The Shins seem to be pretty underappreciated around here.

I picked "New Slang" as one of my first twenty-three out. That's actually a better playlist than my top thirty-one, IMO.

Not that I expect anybody to notice or listen, but for the curious, it's a better, punk-ier/rap-ier/moodier mix. I'm not sure I hit all the good American vinyl, either.

Such Great Heights and Time to Pretend were on my short list.As well as a few Vampire Weekend songs.

With all due respect, @Pip's Invitation, it might be cool if you didn't post pages of stuff all together like you did here.

Perhaps you could put it all in a Google docs spreadsheet, for example.

Two cents.

Oh, are you on mobile only? I can see that scrolling could be a pain. Pip, maybe if you put in spoiler tags? Easier than a Google doc.

With all due respect, @Pip's Invitation, it might be cool if you didn't post pages of stuff all together like you did here.

Two cents.

Oh, are you on mobile only? I can see that scrolling could be a pain. Pip, maybe if you put in spoiler tags? Easier than a Google doc.
I thought of that as I was drifting off to sleep last night. I'll see what I can do.

Two cents.

Edited to include spoiler tags.

I plan to hold myself to the same "rule" of a single song per artist. Or else it would be a list of Beatles, LZ, Stones and Kinks songs.

Who's the British John Mayer?
There is not one, unfortunately, but I will attack the list for the UK with the same absurdity I did with this one. :lmao:
@Hawks64 One of the Whipping Post picks specified the live version from At Fillmore East. Maybe swap that in for one of the two instances of the studio version you put on the playlist?
Made the change, sorry I missed that.
That is a great one as well, I'm a pretty big fan of his catalog for sure.

I obviously approached this completely differently than most, and I have very different musical tastes than most. @shuke asked why all the John Mayer, well it's pretty simple. I tend to find and stick with certain artists or genres with not much overlap, I actively avoid pop music because 95.753% of the time I hate and to me it sucks. If it was a mainstay on the radio and wasn't a band I was listening to prior to being on the radio, it won't be in my rotation period. I am a bit of against the grain for the sake of it kind of person, so I find something that isn't popular or I actively seek out unique things vs mainstream. I love the fact that no one got into the "I can't believe you listen to that ****ty music," that seems to happen whenever I hear people discuss music.

A little history about when I started cutting my musical teeth so to speak. The first record I ever owned was a 45 single of Mr Roboto by Styx, but that quickly went heavier when I got into Iron Maiden, Metallica, Black Sabbath etc. That morphed into Hair Metal, with a quick turn to grunge for about a year or two. Dabbled with country for a bit in the early 90s but then found DMB and well that was that pretty much. There was a period of about 10-15 years where I listened to other artists than DMB. That was another dabble with country, discovering JM with Continuum, Jack Johnson, rediscovering early Aerosmith, and a few others. Right about when the pandemic started I got heavily back into DMB again, and I'm not sure that'll change anytime soon. As per my guiding principle for my list, I'd rather listen to a live DMB show than anything else.

I didn't comment on most of my selections but overall those are the artists that made it into the rotation during the last 10-15 years, some have very personal connections, and some don't.

Love on the Weekend is an incredibly important song to me, I traveled regularly for work for a year and only got to see my wife and kids on Friday. That song was on repeat on the flight home Thus night every week and still chokes me up.

Constellations is a great story about the innocence of children and imagination, plus this version with Eddie on it adds more emotion to it.

Colors is a song I heard them perform on the Grammys, my wife wanted to watch it during the pandemic, and I was blown away by these three guys. Really love this entire record but they need some new material soon.

Walt Grace's Submarine Test is just a great story and indicative of JM's storytelling ability.

My Mind is For Sale, can't really talk about as we can't talk about that here anymore but suffice it to say it aligns with my thoughts very well on the subject.

I killed Robert Johnson was my introduction to The Stone Foxes. I'm not sure where I heard this first but when I looked them up I was surprised that this was a modern band. Not many 70s style rock bands around anymore.

Last edited:
You know, we should do this again sometime! Maybe someone could start setting that up? >.>

#1s
Recognized by title alone: 23
Sounded familiar: 5
Didn't know: 7

Selected Favorites:
Mercy Mercy Me (rockaction)
Straight On (simsarge)
Love and Happiness (Hov34)
Also appreciation to those who chose Petty, Cars, Stevie Wonder, etc etc. I was trying to dig deeper for favorites, but naturally I approved of things that I also like!

Songs I didn't know that I ended up liking:
Sanctuary (Manster)
The Want of a Nail (Binky)
Love on the Weekend (Hawks64)

Thanks again to @krista4 for her dedication to this thing. Also thanks to the Playlist duo. Most importantly thanks to K4, @Val Rannous and @Mrs. Rannous their monetary donations. Hope I didn't miss anyone.

Here are the totals I finally calculated for individual song points. If this isn't 100% correct, it's close and you get what you pay for around here :)

AAABatteries
1656​
krista4
1510​
DrIanMalcolm
1280​
Pip's Invitation
1246​
The Dreaded Marco
1200​
Zegras11
1176​
Don Quixote
1171​
Chaz McNulty
1141​
simey
1123​
neal cassady
1094​
falguy
1090​
Val Rannous
1088​
Oliver Humanzee
1031​
jwb
988​
landryshat
982​
shuke
957​
Just Win Baby
955​
Hov34
941​
Ilov80s
903​
Yankee23Fan
899​
Dr. Octopus
873​
New Binky the Doormat
855​
Uruk-Hai
835​
rockaction
824​
MAC_32
817​
Mrs. Rannous
731​
ditkaburgers
728​
worrierking
725​
Eephus
687​
scorchy
649​
simsarge
575​
Sullie
567​
Doug B
549​
Hawks64
528​
Manster
515​
KarmaPolice
473​

This total is a sum of all the points for all your songs. @AAABatteries had 21 songs that were selected by at least 1 other person. I believe this makes him Chalkiest. Also had 3 of the 6 highest scoring songs. K4 has to settle for the silver medal this time.

Also, I have updated the first tab on the spreadsheet to include the song total and number of times it was duplicated. I also changed the sort to be top selection (1) ....bottom selection (31). I'm not even gonna try to change that to Binky speak

If you care to check out your totals and how many times your songs were picked by others.

Thanks again to @krista4 for her dedication to this thing. Also thanks to the Playlist duo. Most importantly thanks to K4, @Val Rannous and @Mrs. Rannous their monetary donations. Hope I didn't miss anyone.

Here are the totals I finally calculated for individual song points. If this isn't 100% correct, it's close and you get what you pay for around here :)

AAABatteries
1656​
krista4
1510​
DrIanMalcolm
1280​
Pip's Invitation
1246​
The Dreaded Marco
1200​
Zegras11
1176​
Don Quixote
1171​
Chaz McNulty
1141​
simey
1123​
neal cassady
1094​
falguy
1090​
Val Rannous
1088​
Oliver Humanzee
1031​
jwb
988​
landryshat
982​
shuke
957​
Just Win Baby
955​
Hov34
941​
Ilov80s
903​
Yankee23Fan
899​
Dr. Octopus
873​
New Binky the Doormat
855​
Uruk-Hai
835​
rockaction
824​
MAC_32
817​
Mrs. Rannous
731​
ditkaburgers
728​
worrierking
725​
Eephus
687​
scorchy
649​
simsarge
575​
Sullie
567​
Doug B
549​
Hawks64
528​
Manster
515​
KarmaPolice
473​

This total is a sum of all the points for all your songs. @AAABatteries had 21 songs that were selected by at least 1 other person. I believe this makes him Chalkiest. Also had 3 of the 6 highest scoring songs. K4 has to settle for the silver medal this time.

KP only had 22 songs submitted, so I assigned him a multiplier of approximately 1.41, giving him a total of 667 points.

New Binky the Doormat
855​
Uruk-Hai
835​
rockaction
824​
Funny how this worked out. I'm in fine company here. though I don't think the three of us had more than a couple of song selections (if any) in common.

I was going to do the "matchmaking" this past weekend, but it seemed like the thread had quickly petered out and people lost interest (or moved to the new thread).

New Binky the Doormat
855​
Uruk-Hai
835​
rockaction
824​
Funny how this worked out. I'm in fine company here. though I don't think the three of us had more than a couple of song selections (if any) in common.

I was going to do the "matchmaking" this past weekend, but it seemed like the thread had quickly petered out and people lost interest (or moved to the new thread).
Think everyone just went across the pond...working on that list now.

New Binky the Doormat
855​
Uruk-Hai
835​
rockaction
824​

I don't plan on doing any more summaries. Anything else will be lots of work and I'm Excel'ed out.

AAABatteries
1656​
krista4
1510​
DrIanMalcolm
1280​
Pip's Invitation
1246​
The Dreaded Marco
1200​
Zegras11
1176​
Don Quixote
1171​
Chaz McNulty
1141​
simey
1123​
neal cassady
1094​
falguy
1090​
Val Rannous
1088​
Oliver Humanzee
1031​
jwb
988​
landryshat
982​
shuke
957​
Just Win Baby
955​
Hov34
941​
Ilov80s
903​
Yankee23Fan
899​
Dr. Octopus
873​
New Binky the Doormat
855​
Uruk-Hai
835​
rockaction
824​
MAC_32
817​
Mrs. Rannous
731​
ditkaburgers
728​
worrierking
725​
Eephus
687​
scorchy
649​
simsarge
575​
Sullie
567​
Doug B
549​
Hawks64
528​
Manster
515​
KarmaPolice
473​

That’s Chalky McChalkFace to you, (fal)guy.

I love the fact that no one got into the "I can't believe you listen to that ****ty music," that seems to happen whenever I hear people discuss music.

The rest of your post was great, but I wanted to single this part out. These exercises won't work with that attitude. They just won't. Even if you just conceal that attitude, they won't be fun exercises because you'll be holding something back and everybody will know. So we, in a way, become masters of a certain sort of relativism, loving music for music's sake and understanding that differences in math appreciation happen. We still keep our critical minds sharp and admit appreciation of one thing over another, so it's not total relativism, but a liberal tolerance of others' tastes is something acquired and beneficial to doing stuff like this.

That's my two cents. You gave me a nice jumping off point to remind myself of that.

I love the fact that no one got into the "I can't believe you listen to that ****ty music," that seems to happen whenever I hear people discuss music.

The rest of your post was great, but I wanted to single this part out. These exercises won't work with that attitude. They just won't. Even if you just conceal that attitude, they won't be fun exercises because you'll be holding something back and everybody will know. So we, in a way, become masters of a certain sort of relativism, loving music for music's sake and understanding that differences in math appreciation happen. We still keep our critical minds sharp and admit appreciation of one thing over another, so it's not total relativism, but a liberal tolerance of others' tastes is something acquired and beneficial to doing stuff like this.

That's my two cents. You gave me a nice jumping off point to remind myself of that.
I'm probably the one in these threads who pushes harshest on what he/she/they doesn't like. I'll rail against the artist. But I never hold it against the poster who chooses those records (well, I goose tim every once in a while.....but it doesn't make me think any less of his opinions). I'm also self-aware enough to know that my opinions are "me" problems - the artists I don't care for are beloved by millions of people, but are just blind spots for me. And some of it is semi-shtick - like with Browne or Eagles. Well, maybe not Browne.....but hopefully you get my point.

I'm probably the one in these threads who pushes harshest on what he/she/they doesn't like. I'll rail against the artist. But I never hold it against the poster who chooses those records (well, I goose tim every once in a while.....but it doesn't make me think any less of his opinions). I'm also self-aware enough to know that my opinions are "me" problems - the artists I don't care for are beloved by millions of people, but are just blind spots for me. And some of it is semi-shtick - like with Browne or Eagles. Well, maybe not Browne.....but hopefully you get my point.
Oh, I do the same, there are some artists that are really popular that I just can't stand. But my whole point was I loved that this never devolved into a negative thing.

I'm probably the one in these threads who pushes harshest on what he/she/they doesn't like.

Not really. I don't have any problem with you disliking Joel or the Dead or any of it, really. wikkid sometimes did that, too, and it just made the threads better, anyway. Single grooves and all that. But personalizing taste is what I think we're talking about and you never call somebody's tastes ****ty or anything like that. You're pretty darn cool about it while still maintaining what you like and don't.

An unfettered relativism destroys the faculties and reasons for loving something so. It curtails our reasoning and respect for the excellent and sublime. A punitive eye towards someone's tastes as a mark against them destroys the faculties, too. It makes us lesser people in doing so.

That's my two cents again, really.

It’s shtick? So you’re… The Pretender?

Outside of objectively terrible music I listen to like Papa Roach (laughing at yourself is a healthy thing) there's good reason I generally only express negative sentiment when it comes to the renowned and extremely talented. I may not be able to stand Dylan and Corgan's vocals and listening to The Eagles is akin to watching paint dry, but I appreciate their contributions to music and why they're revered by others. That's why I laugh whenever Billy Joel comes up and the peanut gallery chimes in. I totally get why he elicits disgust from some, and he does with me at times (Uptown GIrl and River Of Dreams immediately come to mind), but ultimately it's all in good fun and different strokes for different folks. No upside to that sorta dialogue if they don't fit inside those 2 boxes though.

Nothing from Jerry Lee Lewis was picked. Is it because he married his 13-year-old cousin?
Total mostly hijack here. Over the weekend I came across this in a newspaper article. I'd (<- key word here) never knew it was a thing, was totally blown away by the historical significance and thought it was worth sharing.
(sorry about the formatting. stupid hard to fix)

The Million Dollar Quartet

"Million Dollar Quartet" is a recording of an impromptu jam session involving Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, and Johnny Cash made on December 4, 1956, at the Sun Record Studios in Memphis, Tennessee.

That's why I laugh whenever Billy Joel comes up and the peanut gallery chimes in. I totally get why he elicits disgust from some, and he does with me at times (Uptown GIrl and River Of Dreams immediately come to mind), but ultimately it's all in good fun and different strokes for different folks. No upside to that sorta dialogue if they don't fit inside those 2 boxes though.
I assume this is directed at me.

I said pretty much the exact same thing you just did a day or two ago. My digs are in no way pointing at his millions of fans, including those here. When someone sells that many records, I have to admit that the problem is with me - not the record buyers. Just because I think his music is pretentious dreck doesn't mean that my opinion should matter any more than someone else's.

If my posts come across as holier-than-thou, I apologize - because that's not my intent.

That's why I laugh whenever Billy Joel comes up and the peanut gallery chimes in. I totally get why he elicits disgust from some, and he does with me at times (Uptown GIrl and River Of Dreams immediately come to mind), but ultimately it's all in good fun and different strokes for different folks. No upside to that sorta dialogue if they don't fit inside those 2 boxes though.

I said pretty much the exact same thing you just did a day or two ago. My digs are in no way pointing at his millions of fans, including those here. When someone sells that many records, I have to admit that the problem is with me - not the record buyers. Just because I think his music is pretentious dreck doesn't mean that my opinion should matter any more than someone else's.

If my posts come across as holier-than-thou, I apologize - because that's not my intent.
You're good, I'm just drawing a parallel cause I do the exact same thing with the eagles!

You're good, I'm just drawing a parallel cause I do the exact same thing with the eagles!
So do I!

On a completely unrelated note........How do you feel about Jackson Browne?

Under informed and indifferent opinion. I forget how he entered my orbit, but I wasn't even aware of his music until a few years ago. He's got a few tracks on my shuffle, but none have made their way to a play list. I spose that makes him...acceptable background noise?

For a while during COVID, I got obsessed with those Rick Beato What Makes This Song Great videos.

Never heard of Rick Beato before this thread, but started slowly working through his list and got to this one: What Makes This Song Great? Ep.14 Rage Against The Machine

Very cool breakdown, and just makes me like the song even more. (y)

Ok, here's the offer: If State wins, I'll listen to 12 Billy Joel songs of your choosing and will do so in real time here and give an honest-faith review of each. If Maryland wins, I still get to listen to your 12 Billy Joel songs but get to snark the hell out of every one of them.
* Until the Night, Piano Man, Scenes from An Italian Restaurant, and MIami 2017 have already been listed in this exercise, so you had your opportunity to comment on those.

Here are 12 Billy Joel songs. The first 6 songs were picked by JWB, and 7-12 are my picks.

1. New York State of Mind

2. Just the Way You Are

3. She's Got A Way - this is the live version from Songs in the Attic

4. Pressure

5. Goodnight Saigon

6. Baby Grand

7. Vienna

8. Captain Jack

9. Summer, Highland Falls

10. Say Goodbye to Hollywood - this is the live version from Songs in the Attic

11. The Stranger

12. All For Leyna

Last edited:
JWB cheated with #6, and I suspect he knew that. Honestly, I was expecting you to pick that one as a middle finger to me because you know how much I love Ray Charles. There's some really low-hanging fruit here and some omissions I was hoping would be included.

As Ahnold said in 1984, I'll be back.

JWB cheated with #6, and I suspect he knew that. Honestly, I was expecting you to pick that one as a middle finger to me because you know how much I love Ray Charles. There's some really low-hanging fruit here and some omissions I was hoping would be included.

As Ahnold said in 1984, I'll be back.
JWB threw out his list first, so I didn't want to repeat anything, but I stick my middle finger up to you often, and didn't need a song to do it. :p

Users who are viewing this thread