What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite 31 Songs by US Artists According to a Bunch of Middle-Aged Dummies (2 Viewers)

Just Win Baby:

Cold Shot (1984), from Couldn’t Stand the Weather - Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble
(new artist)

Sullie:

Crackerman - Stone Temple Pilots
(new artist)

Hawks64:

American Kids - Kenny Chesney
(duplicate – second vote)

Hov34:

All These Things That I've Done - The Killers
(new song)

KarmaPolice:

Shake Your Rump - Beastie Boys
I'm gonna give this whole thing a spin obviously, but 5 audible WOW's on first scroll. I probably shouldn't be (pleasantly) surprised at a second Shake Your Rump, but I think it's fair to be very (pleasantly) surprised with another vote for American Kids, and I was not prepared for others to put up those 3 - especially Crackerman. While none of them made my 31 those are the cuts I'd have chosen.

Good luck everyone else getting on the medal stand this round.

Number 16:

krista4:

(Don’t Go Back to) Rockville – R.E.M.
(new song)

Just Win Baby:

Cold Shot (1984), from Couldn’t Stand the Weather - Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble
(new artist)

simey:

Melissa - The Allman Brothers Band
(new song)

scorchy:

Fight Test – The Flaming Lips

neal cassady:

All Her Favourite Fruit - Camper Van Beethoven
(new artist)

Uruk-Hai:

Summertime - Billy Stewart
(new artist)

Yankee23Fan:

Fire and Rain - James Taylor
(new artist)

Manster:

Dead Roots Stirring - Elder
(new song)

shuke:

Float On - Modest Mouse

rockaction:

All This And More - Dead Boys
(new artist)

Mrs. Rannous:

Don't Fear the Reaper - Blue Öyster Cult
(duplicate – third vote)

(@falguy , please note the umlauts could mess with your spreadsheet consistency)

New Binky the Doormat:

Search and Destroy – Iggy and the Stooges
(new song)

(@falguy , please place together with Iggy Pop)

Pip’s Invitation:

She's Gone - Hall & Oates
(new song)

Dr. Octopus:

The Love You Save – The Jackson 5

Val Rannous:

Piano Man - Billy Joel
(new song)

Chaz McNulty:

American Pie - Don McLean

Don Quixote:

Bo Diddley - Bo Diddley
(new artist)

Sullie:

(new artist)

jwb:

1999 – Prince
(new song)

DrIanMalcolm:

Lawyers, Guns and Money, Warren Zevon
(new song)

Hawks64:

MAC_32:

Reach Out, I’ll Be There - Four Tops
(new song)

falguy:

Foreplay/Longtime - Boston

simsarge:

La Isla Bonita – Madonna
(new song)

worrierking:

The Boy With the Perpetual Nervousness – The Feelies
(new artist)

Eephus:

All I Know - Art Garfunkel
(new artist)

Hov34:

(new song)

ditkaburgers:

September - Earth Wind & Fire

AAABatteries:

I Won't Back Down - Tom Petty
(new song)

landryshat:

The Fitted Shirt – Spoon
(new song)

Zegras11:

Words - Missing Persons
(new song)

Ilov80s:

Simple Man - Lynyrd Skynyrd
(new song)

Oliver Humanzee:

Use Me – Bill Withers
(duplicate – fourth vote)

The Dreaded Marco:

Lover, You Should've Come Over - Jeff Buckley

Doug B:

Young Hearts Run Free - Candi Staton
(new artist)

KarmaPolice:

Today's list

I have a love hate relationship with Piano Man. It's Billy Joel, so I like it, and it's a good story of a song so its entertaining, and the original video is hysterically bad which gives it some camp love. The fact it's a dumb waltz is ok, not everything has to be Beethoven on the piano.

But, if you play the piano anywhere around people you've been asked to play this song, conservatively, 984771756182376531365 times in your life. If I was getting paid to play it, fine. But, like, everytime I sit down? I can play anything from classical to broadway to jazz to rock to anything else.....how 'bout we do that this time and swing back to Piano Man next year?

No? Ugh, fine........ it's nine o'clock on a Saturday......

My top artist was U2 due to all the research I had to do for JML's U2 countdown. Second is...not the Beatles? What? It was Frightened Rabbit. Then the Beatles, Elliott Smith, and Bill Withers. I'm surprised by Bill Withers.

All five of my top songs for the year were from Frightened Rabbit. I guess I was a little obsessed. All that listening led to my fifth most-listened-to genre being "Scottish Indie." :lmao: The top four were singer-songwriter, soul, alternative rock, and rock.

Don Quixote:

Bo Diddley - Bo Diddley
(new artist)

Anyone who thinks boastfulness in music started with rap needs to come around to this one. I mean, the guy's most famous song is literally about himself. This one's a real rocker, and followed by a number of great versions of it (Seger did a great one on Live Bullet). Nice pick.
When I was a teen, my stepmother put on a Bo Diddley record. It got to this song and I was like "why is he singing about himself, that's dumb."

Of course I was the one that was dumb.

I'm also fond of the Animals version.

I have a love hate relationship with Piano Man. It's Billy Joel, so I like it, and it's a good story of a song so its entertaining, and the original video is hysterically bad which gives it some camp love. The fact it's a dumb waltz is ok, not everything has to be Beethoven on the piano.

But, if you play the piano anywhere around people you've been asked to play this song, conservatively, 984771756182376531365 times in your life. If I was getting paid to play it, fine. But, like, everytime I sit down? I can play anything from classical to broadway to jazz to rock to anything else.....how 'bout we do that this time and swing back to Piano Man next year?

No? Ugh, fine........ it's nine o'clock on a Saturday......
I have a love/hate relationship with it, too. The "love" part is when it's over :wink:

Pip’s Invitation:

(new song)

This is another one I took in the This Is Their Best Song draft. It is one of the best soul songs ever written, never mind the "blue-eyed" part. The singing is phenomenal, and not just the showier parts ("She's GO-O-O-O-O-ONE") by Hall. The music is deliciously mellow without ever crossing into lethargy. And for Krista, there is the single version, which cuts out the sax solo.

Don Quixote:

Bo Diddley - Bo Diddley
(new artist)

Anyone who thinks boastfulness in music started with rap needs to come around to this one. I mean, the guy's most famous song is literally about himself. This one's a real rocker, and followed by a number of great versions of it (Seger did a great one on Live Bullet). Nice pick.
@krista4 you may know the answer to this. On Underground Garage, one of Little Steven's 5 minute riffs included him going through the '50s rockers. I remember one line that went something like "Jerry Lee Lewis used his piano as a sexual weapon. Bo Diddley WAS a sexual weapon." Do you remember hearing that segment and what the context was? I've heard it several times, but not in a long time. That part always made me chuckle, the way he said it.

Pip’s Invitation:

(new song)

This is another one I took in the This Is Their Best Song draft. It is one of the best soul songs ever written, never mind the "blue-eyed" part. The singing is phenomenal, and not just the showier parts ("She's GO-O-O-O-O-ONE") by Hall. The music is deliciously mellow without ever crossing into lethargy. And for Krista, there is the single version, which cuts out the sax solo.
If I was asked to bet on a record you'd take, this would have been my #1 choice. Great choice and great performance.

Don Quixote:

Bo Diddley - Bo Diddley
(new artist)

And he’s got probably a half dozen or so songs named after himself. Without even looking it up, in addition to “Bo Diddley,” I immediately think of “Hey, Bo Diddley”, “Diddley Daddy,” and “Bo Diddley is a Gunslinger.”

I saw Bo Diddley in concert 15 or so years ago (probably one of his last). Still put on an awesome show.

Last edited:
I bumped up my music listening this year, but way behind the masses here. I think I was top 15% overall.

No surprise, for the 3rd year in a row Opeth is my top artist and I was in the .05% of listeners there with about 4500 mins. My other 2 non-Encanto bands were my other metal pick still yet to come and Pink Floyd.

It was too hard to do a Top Five favorite round #17 yesterday.

Here are a few songs I'll comment on:

I Second That Emotion - This is my favorite Smokey Robinson and the Miracles song. It's a feel good song for me.
Just What I Needed - I love when Benjamin Orr sings lead.
Down In the Valley - I dig when Otis uses his scratchy soul voice, and gets down with it, and the backing horns make it a dynamite song.
Freak Scene - This song made me like Dinosaur Jr.
Lover, You Should've Come Over - I love a good torch song
Hold On, I'm Comin' - This is my favorite Sam & Dave song.
Burning - I didn't know this song, and I like it.
All My Happiness is Gone - See above

Number 16:

krista4:

(new song)

Just Win Baby:

(new artist)

simey:

(new song)

scorchy:

Fight Test – The Flaming Lips

neal cassady:

All Her Favourite Fruit - Camper Van Beethoven
(new artist)

Uruk-Hai:

Summertime - Billy Stewart
(new artist)

Yankee23Fan:

(new artist)

Manster:

(new song)

shuke:

Float On - Modest Mouse

rockaction:

All This And More - Dead Boys
(new artist)

Mrs. Rannous:

Don't Fear the Reaper - Blue Öyster Cult
(duplicate – third vote)

(@falguy , please note the umlauts could mess with your spreadsheet consistency)

New Binky the Doormat:

Search and Destroy – Iggy and the Stooges
(new song)

(@falguy , please place together with Iggy Pop)

Pip’s Invitation:

(new song)

Dr. Octopus:

Val Rannous:

Piano Man - Billy Joel
(new song)

Chaz McNulty:

Don Quixote:

Bo Diddley - Bo Diddley
(new artist)

Sullie:

(new artist)

jwb:

1999 – Prince
(new song)

DrIanMalcolm:

(new song)

Hawks64:

MAC_32:

(new song)

falguy:

simsarge:

La Isla Bonita – Madonna
(new song)

worrierking:

The Boy With the Perpetual Nervousness – The Feelies
(new artist)

Eephus:

All I Know - Art Garfunkel
(new artist)

Hov34:

(new song)

ditkaburgers:

AAABatteries:

I Won't Back Down - Tom Petty
(new song)

landryshat:

The Fitted Shirt – Spoon
(new song)

Zegras11:

Words - Missing Persons
(new song)

Ilov80s:

(new song)

Oliver Humanzee:

Use Me – Bill Withers
(duplicate – fourth vote)

The Dreaded Marco:

Lover, You Should've Come Over - Jeff Buckley

Doug B:

Young Hearts Run Free - Candi Staton
(new artist)

KarmaPolice:

Thanks for pointing out the potential gotcha's!

Number 16:

krista4:

(new song)

Just Win Baby:

(new artist)

simey:

(new song)

Yankee23Fan:

(new artist)

Pip’s Invitation:

(new song)

Dr. Octopus:

Val Rannous:

Piano Man - Billy Joel
(new song)

Chaz McNulty:

Don Quixote:

Bo Diddley - Bo Diddley
(new artist)

jwb:

1999 – Prince
(new song)

DrIanMalcolm:

(new song)

MAC_32:

(new song)

falguy:

ditkaburgers:

Zegras11:

Words - Missing Persons
(new song)

Ilov80s:

(new song)

It's been impossible for me to make a medal-stand list or a Top Five from these playlists, so I've held off from commenting very much. One thing I can do, though, is offer a virtual "Hey Norm!" to songs I'm glad to see get a callout.

As for a new-to-me selection ... Uruk put up Billy Stewart's "Summertime". Stewart's vocals definitely slay throughout ... but the real "Yes!" moment for me is when the horns first kick in after the guitar-&-piano opening with Stewart ad-libbing over the top the whole time. And tell me that song doesn't belong on a Quentin Tarantino soundtrack** -- so evocative.

According to this record sleeve, Stewart's "Summertime" was produced by Billy Davis. I wondered if it was THAT Billy Davis, but no.

** No lie -- I have never seen Once Upon A Time In Hollywood and had no idea Stewart's "Summertime" really WAS on a Tarantino soundtrack when I typed that! It's been a nice little rabbit hole with this tune.

I use Apple Music rather than Spotify (I think signed up with free subscription with AirPods, and they got me with inertia).

Top song of the year is the one that I put #1 here; so, I guess I got that right as favorite.

Today's known-to-me winners aside from my own pick and Use Me, which is known to be on my list:

Search and Destroy -- Iggy and the Stooges (Binky)
Foreplay/Long Time -- Boston (Falguy)
Reach Out, I'll Be There -- The Four Tops (MAC 32)
1999 -- Prince (jwb)
Float On -- Modest Mouse (Shuke)
Melissa -- The Allman Brothers Band (Simey)
Fight Test -- The Flaming Lips (Scorchy)
I Won't Back Down -- Tom Petty (AAABatteries)
Lover, You Should've Come Over -- Jeff Buckley (Marco)
Don't Fear the Reaper -- Blue Oyster Cult (Mrs. Rannous)

I have never seen Once Upon A Time In Hollywood and had no idea Stewart's "Summertime" really WAS on a Tarantino soundtrack
I haven't seen that film, either, and didn't know Stewart's record was on the soundtrack. Makes sense that Tarantino would choose it, though.

I remember it from childhood, but don't know from where (I was only 4 when it was released). I did "own" it in the late 1970s on a bootlegged 8 Track I bought at a country store that was filled with Summer-themed songs (the 8 Track tape, not the store).

@krista4 you may know the answer to this. On Underground Garage, one of Little Steven's 5 minute riffs included him going through the '50s rockers. I remember one line that went something like "Jerry Lee Lewis used his piano as a sexual weapon. Bo Diddley WAS a sexual weapon." Do you remember hearing that segment and what the context was? I've heard it several times, but not in a long time. That part always made me chuckle, the way he said it.

I don't think I've heard it, but I love it!

Manster:

(new song)

In the lead for least likely artist to have placed more than one song on the countdown. We'll see if I dig this song as much as the other one.
Narrator: He did.
This album is pretty fuzzy. The lead track Gemini, and then right into Dead Roots Stirring......pretty sweet!
Today's song seemed more doomy/sludgy than the other one, which was more proggy. Sometimes too much sludge is a turnoff but that wasn't the case here.

The only thing I didn’t like about that spin was that unlike the last time through in which I knew less than a third of the songs I pretty much knew the outcome of this one before starting. 4 Tops and American Kids were obviously great (on my 31), as was Shake Your Rump (already praised and just missed my cut), and while I enjoyed the laundry list of classics for the most part they’re just…good songs to me - and I knew what to expect. There were some highlights though.

Best new to me – Lawyers, Guns, and Money. Every time new Zevon hits my ears I say to myself I need to get more of him in my shuffle then I quite simply don’t do it. Maybe this heart will get the algorithm to work though.
2nd best new to me – All I Know, Art Garfunkel. As stressed and wound up as I am today that one momentarily calmed down.
Yes! New Spoon! – well, I guess 2001 is not new, but since I didn’t know any Spoon pre 2005 it was for me. I enjoyed it as much as I thought I would.
Honorable mention - Cold Shot, Stevie Ray Vaughn. Thrilled to see this made someone’s cut. Unreal guitar player taken from us too soon.
Bronze - 2 versions of the same song made it to my bubble, but neither made the final cut - this will be an unpopular take, but I find Brent Smith's rendition of Simple Man jaw-dropping…so much so that ultimately I decided to keep both out, which makes no sense at all.
Silver – Crackerman, STP. Again, blown away to see this get picked. I’d name 10…20 STP songs that’d get plucked out for this thing before it. My love for this song stems exclusively from their live show – they opened with it and went pretty much like this plus a few more theatrics. I have never seen someone command a stage like he did at that moment in time and 17 year old MAC’s experience still sticks to this day. What a wild show and I draw it all back to that opening number.
Gold – All These Things That I’ve Done, The Killers. A once per week minimum staple in our house. Whether it’s blasting on the Friday night shuffle or en route to/from a weekend kids sporting event this one always gets turned up to 11. While all 5 of us are off-key nails on a chalkboard bad singers it’s beautiful and in unison to my ears…and in the wonderful world of music nothing else matters. How the hell did I leave this one out.

Users who are viewing this thread