What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite 31 Songs by US Artists According to a Bunch of Middle-Aged Dummies (2 Viewers)

I think I missed the last 5 out discussion. Here's mine:

• Billie Jean - Michael Jackson - I left him off my list because I can't hear his music without thinking about the icky stuff and it ruins it for me. But this song is classic
  • Like a Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan - I'm just not a huge Dylan fan but this is a great song
  • Oh, Pretty Woman - Roy Orbison - classic song
  • I Got You (I Feel Good) - James Brown - makes me want to dance every time I hear it
  • Thank God I'm a Country Boy - John Denver - I'm not really a country boy but I play around being one at times

• Billie Jean - Michael Jackson - I left him off my list because I can't hear his music without thinking about the icky stuff and it ruins it for me. But this song is classic
  • Like a Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan - I'm just not a huge Dylan fan but this is a great song
  • I Got You (I Feel Good) - James Brown - makes me want to dance every time I hear it
  • Thank God I'm a Country Boy - John Denver - I'm not really a country boy but I play around being one at times
Billie Jean just missed my final cut. I think your list is the first one that I know all the songs from.

Billie Jean just missed my final cut. I think your list is the first one that I know all the songs from.

My list is very chalky and very few, if any, won’t be familiar to folks.

Time’s up, huh? I kept thinking we had until tomorrow, but I see that today is the 13th.
If you get me something by tomorrow, I’ll include you and will just “catch up” on your #31. But yeah, the deadline has never changed.

I remember the thread I started where I listed all of the great Eagles solo songs from 1-1.
Does Joe Walsh’s stuff count as “Eagles solo songs”? His solo career predated his joining the band.

(Rhetorical question, as I realize you don’t care.)

There are only two good Eagles songs, and one is really a Joe Walsh song.

Does Joe Walsh’s stuff count as “Eagles solo songs”? His solo career predated his joining the band.

(Rhetorical question, as I realize you don’t care.)

I took my scolding in the thread about it, so you're not out of order. It really was a blunt hammer I was using to make a point/joke. I thought it was funny, anyway.

Last edited:
Oops, just noticed another "last five out" as I was organizing everything for tomorrow.

Eephus:
And the Beat Goes OnThe Whispershttps://open.spotify.com/track/45rdPFLA9sLRuRzEl51xCp
American GirlTom Petty & The Heartbreakershttps://open.spotify.com/track/7MRyJPksH3G2cXHN8UKYzP
Stagger LeeLloyd Pricehttps://open.spotify.com/track/4MUGG9mgDUP8dlaS3AAeg0
Livin' la Vida LocaRicky Martinhttps://open.spotify.com/track/0Ph6L4l8dYUuXFmb71Ajnd
My Brain Is Hanging Upside Down (Bonzo Goes To Bitburg)Ramoneshttps://open.spotify.com/track/7mLOaTOS6kiJi8Anm2C1zc

Love this song. It was in my top 31 for some iterations and might have landed there if I submitted my list on a different day.

I love this song but can’t listen to it often - I get emotional every freaking time.

I love it but have no emotional attachment to it. I don't have those feelings about anyone or anything. But, it's just gorgeous.

I've seen Ben in concert at least 7 times and I've never seen him perform this song. Weird.
And I love this song, (Spoiler Alert) almost as much as the one in my top 31.

Here is a link to a Spotify Playlist of the "5 Out".

Oh, and I assume @Uruk-Hai meant "Dangerous Type" for his Cars song?

My two best friends from High School are doing this with me revealing 2 a day - we are in the teens right now. 4 songs from the "5 Out" have made their list so far.

I Got You - James Brown
What a Foo Believes - Doobies
Crazy On You - Heart
And the Beat Goes On - The Whispers

Oops, just noticed another "last five out" as I was organizing everything for tomorrow.

Eephus:
And the Beat Goes OnThe Whispershttps://open.spotify.com/track/45rdPFLA9sLRuRzEl51xCp
American GirlTom Petty & The Heartbreakershttps://open.spotify.com/track/7MRyJPksH3G2cXHN8UKYzP
Stagger LeeLloyd Pricehttps://open.spotify.com/track/4MUGG9mgDUP8dlaS3AAeg0
Livin' la Vida LocaRicky Martinhttps://open.spotify.com/track/0Ph6L4l8dYUuXFmb71Ajnd
My Brain Is Hanging Upside Down (Bonzo Goes To Bitburg)Ramoneshttps://open.spotify.com/track/7mLOaTOS6kiJi8Anm2C1zc
American Girl was on my last five out now that I see this. I deleted everything after 31 and don't remember. :bag:
On all these last five out lists, I've only seen one thats on my 1-31 list.

I was thinking of doing some little teasers/guessing games. There are no prizes. I'd say just for fun, but maybe it's only fun for me? Nothing spoiler-y. and I wouldn't give the answers out at this time, but stuff like:
And everybody needs to remember, if you haven't sent in your guesses for the one guessing game were doing that actually DOES have prizes, you need to do so before Krista starts giving out the lists!! Just IM me with your picks for "Most Popular Song" and "Most Popular Artist". and your favorite charity might be getting a nice donation! C'mon, people, I only have 10 lists so far, it's not that hard to do!

Link

33 – Sir Duke – Stevie Wonder - for years I thought this was my second-favorite Stevie song, until my friend Doug commented that the use of the slide whistle was "as if in the middle of the Steiger-Brando taxi cab scene from Waterfront, right before Terry says, "I coulda been a contenda," Benny Hill sticks his head in the window briefly and mugs for the camera." So now I can't hear it without thinking of that.
The slide whistle is fun (and so is Benny Hill) and is such a tiny part of the song.

OHBOYOHBOYOHBOYOHBOY, HERE. WE. GO.

If you sent me links, I've included your link. If you didn't (which is fine), then I've inserted the first link that came up on YouTube. If you'd like a different version, please go ahead and post it.

I'll be presenting these in the same order for each number, which is generally the order in which I received lists.

Number 31:

krista4:

Long Tall Sally – Little Richard

Just Win Baby:

Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around (1981), from Bella Donna – Stevie Nicks and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

simey:

Please Don't Bury Me - John Prine

scorchy:

Lover I Don’t Have to Love – Bright Eyes

neal cassady:

Anemone- The Brian Jonestown Massacre

Uruk-Hai:

Minnie The Moocher-Cab Calloway

Yankee23Fan:

O Come to the Altar - Elevation Worship

Manster:

Last Cup of Sorrow - Faith No More

shuke:

Oh Mandy - Spinto Band

rockaction:

ZZZ Top - Aesop Rock

Mrs. Rannous:

Magic - The Cars

New Binky the Doormat:

For The Love Of Money - The O'Jays

Pip’s Invitation:

Refugee -- Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Dr. Octopus:

Fly Me Courageous – Drivin N Cryin

Val Rannous:

Tonight is What it Means to be Young - Fire Inc.

Chaz McNulty:

Cat's in the Cradle - Harry Chapin

Don Quixote:

Fanfare for the Common Man - Aaron Copland (New York Philharmonic conducted by Copland)

Sullie:

Ordinary Average Guy - Joe Walsh

jwb: (commentary to come)

Moonlight Feels Right – Starbuck

DrIanMalcolm:

What a Fool Believes, the Doobie Brothers

Hawks64:

To Be With You - Mr. Big

MAC_32:

Fortunate Son - Creedence Clearwater Revival

falguy:

Stand By Me - Ben E. King

simsarge:

Nick Of Time - Bonnie Raitt

worrierking:

Methamphetamine - Son Volt

Eephus:

The Humpty Dance - Digital Underground

Hov34:

Float On - Modest Mouse

ditkaburgers:

I Hate Myself for Loving You - Joan Jett and The Blackhearts

AAABatteries:

Be My Baby - The Ronettes

landryshat:

(Not Just) Knee Deep - Funkadelic

Zegras11:

Reelin' In The Years - Steely Dan

Ilov80s:

Baby Love - The Supremes

Oliver Humanzee:

Our Anniversary - Smog

The Dreaded Marco:

Alone Again Or - Love

Doug B:

'Southern Nights' - Allen Toussaint

Last edited:
I got an intro from jwb to his list, which he said I could post. I didn't want to include in the huge list and muck up formatting, so here it is:

"Here's my 31. The top 5 are pretty solid and would remain at or near the top most days, and my top 15 or so would likely make any list of mine, but the rest is fairly fluid (I suspect this is common).

Nothing too unique here – most folks have heard all of these (maybe the [redacted] one is more “you gotta be a fan” song, but the rest are common.) These are kind of representative of my musical life – a kid liking disco and 70’s pop, a teen into rock, a stoner discovering older music, an older guy appreciating some pop music I may not have liked as much when it happened (and who appreciates past giants) etc.

Notable artists that could easily be here another day: Aerosmith, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Television, Jim Croce, The Doobie Brothers, James Taylor, Jackson Brown, Elvis, Simon and Garfunkel, Whitney, Gov't Mule, etc."

@Northern Voice
@Doug B
@HellToupee
@Bluesbomber

I think you're the only ones who intended to send lists but we haven't heard from lately. Hope you are still in - let us know!

Here's a little inspiration: both the consensus "favorite artist" and "favorite song" categories seem to be very close two-horse races now, and your votes could be a deciding factor!

The top two songs are within eight points of each other! One has more total votes but a few middling rankings, while the other is on fewer lists but always ranked quite high.
Sorry had a medical emergency and was hospitalized from Wednesday until Saturday night.

@Northern Voice
@Doug B
@HellToupee
@Bluesbomber

I think you're the only ones who intended to send lists but we haven't heard from lately. Hope you are still in - let us know!

Here's a little inspiration: both the consensus "favorite artist" and "favorite song" categories seem to be very close two-horse races now, and your votes could be a deciding factor!

The top two songs are within eight points of each other! One has more total votes but a few middling rankings, while the other is on fewer lists but always ranked quite high.
Sorry had a medical emergency and was hospitalized from Wednesday until Saturday night.

Oh my. I'm so sorry! I hope you are doing much better. That sounds scary.

If you sent me links, I've included your link. If you didn't (which is fine), then I've inserted the first link that came up on YouTube. If you'd like a different version, please go ahead and post it.

I'll be presenting these in the same order for each number, which is generally the order in which I received lists.

Number 31:

krista4:

Just Win Baby:

Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around (1981), from Bella Donna – Stevie Nicks and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

simey:

scorchy:

neal cassady:

Uruk-Hai:

Yankee23Fan:

Manster:

shuke:

Oh Mandy - Spinto Band

rockaction:

ZZZ Top - Aesop Rock

Mrs. Rannous:

Magic - The Cars

New Binky the Doormat:

Pip’s Invitation:

Dr. Octopus:

Val Rannous:

Chaz McNulty:

Don Quixote:

Fanfare for the Common Man - Aaron Copland (New York Philharmonic conducted by Copland)

Sullie:

DrIanMalcolm:

Hawks64:

To Be With You - Mr. Big

MAC_32:

falguy:

simsarge:

worrierking:

Eephus:

Hov34:

Float On - Modest Mouse

ditkaburgers:

AAABatteries:

landryshat:

Zegras11:

Ilov80s:

Baby Love - The Supremes

Oliver Humanzee:

Our Anniversary - Smog

The Dreaded Marco:

Alone Again Or - Love
Spotify playlist FBGs Top 31 by dummies - #31

@Northern Voice
@Doug B
@HellToupee
@Bluesbomber

Oh man...hope you're doing better and recover quickly!

I’m an Apple Music subscriber, anyone compare Spotify/Apple? Thinking of switching, my top song is no longer on Apple, at least the album version isn’t

Winners of #31 for me
  1. Eephus with The Humpty Dance - Would have not even thought to include this on my list but man do I love it. It should have been on mine. I'll never forget the first time my kids heard this and were laughing their asses off...so awesome.
  2. Mac_32 with Fortunate Son - This was on my initial list, but didn't survive cutdown day(s). Such a great tune.
  3. Rockaction with ZZZ Top - new song and artist to me, this is a really good song. Love the rapping in it and am not familiar at all with the artist. Thanks rock!
ETA commentary

Last edited:
I’m an Apple Music subscriber, anyone compare Spotify/Apple? Thinking of switching, my top song is no longer on Apple, at least the album version isn’t
I started with Spotify, way before Apple had the Music subscription service, and have never thought of switching since we use the family sub.

Number 31:

krista4:

Just Win Baby:

simey:

scorchy:

neal cassady:

Uruk-Hai:

Yankee23Fan:

Manster:

shuke:

Oh Mandy - Spinto Band

rockaction:

ZZZ Top - Aesop Rock

Mrs. Rannous:

Magic - The Cars

New Binky the Doormat:

Pip’s Invitation:

Dr. Octopus:

Val Rannous:

Chaz McNulty:

Don Quixote:

Sullie:

DrIanMalcolm:

Hawks64:

To Be With You - Mr. Big

MAC_32:

falguy:

simsarge:

worrierking:

Eephus:

Hov34:

Float On - Modest Mouse

ditkaburgers:

AAABatteries:

landryshat:

Zegras11:

Ilov80s:

Baby Love - The Supremes

Oliver Humanzee:

Our Anniversary - Smog

The Dreaded Marco:

Alone Again Or - Love
Not including my own pick, my favorite of today is Marco’s Alone Again Or by Love. I see Forever Changes, I upvote.

Honorable mention to the Steely Dan pick from Zegras, the Funkadelic pick from Landry’s Hat, the Modest Mouse pick from Hov34 (in general they’re not my thing but Float On is :chef’s kiss: ) the CCR pick by MAC32, the Doobie Brothers pick from DrIanMalcolm, the O’Jays pick by Binky and the Little Richard pick by Krista (I guess the way you get around no Beatles is to pick the American artists’ songs they covered).

Jwb should have advised Chap on his list. THAT is how you do ‘70s cheese.

Users who are viewing this thread