What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite 31 Songs by US Artists According to a Bunch of Middle-Aged Dummies (1 Viewer)

Number 20:

krista4:

Use Me – Bill Withers

Just Win Baby:

Killing in the Name (1992), from Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine

simey:

September Gurls - Big Star

scorchy:

Nightswimming – R.E.M.

neal cassady:

Waiting Room - Fugazi

Uruk-Hai:

One Fine Day - Chiffons

Yankee23Fan:

My Way - Frank Sinatra

Manster:

Blind - Elder

shuke:

Surrender - Cheap Trick

rockaction:

Brokedown Palace - Grateful Dead

Mrs. Rannous:

Dance in the Graveyards - Delta Rae

New Binky the Doormat:

Ball of Confusion - The Temptations

Pip’s Invitation:

When My Baby's Beside Me - Big Star

Dr. Octopus:

Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright – Bob Dylan

Val Rannous:

La Grange - ZZ Top

Chaz McNulty:

Not Ready to Make Nice - The Chicks

Don Quixote:

Crazy - Gnarls Barkley

Sullie:

Walkin' Shoes - Tora Tora

jwb:

They Just Can't Stop It (Games People Play) – The Spinners

DrIanMalcolm:

Doo *** (That Thing), Lauryn Hill

Hawks64:

The Real Slim Shady - Eminem

MAC_32:

Livin' On The Edge - Aerosmith

falguy:

Leader of The Band - Dan Fogelberg

simsarge:

Mistral Wind - Heart

worrierking:

Right Next Door - Robert Cray

Eephus:

Weird Ways - Strand of Oaks

Hov34:

I Can't Go for That (No Can Do) - Hall & Oates

ditkaburgers:

Electric Youth - Debbie Gibson

AAABatteries:

Folsom Prison Blues - Johnny Cash

landryshat:

Stars - Hum

Zegras11:

For Once in My Life - Stevie Wonder

Ilov80s:

About a Girl - Nirvana

Oliver Humanzee:

I Heard it on the X - ZZ Top

The Dreaded Marco:

Sad Professor - R.E.M.

Doug B:

Who's Behind the Door? - Zebra

KarmaPolice:

End of the Day - Beck

From a few pages back, updated:

Through the first ten rounds, we have 10 songs that have received multiple votes. Rest assured this will change quickly, as by the end of the countdown we will have 143 songs with multiple votes.

Right now, the double-ups consist of the following. Five of these 10 songs will receive at least one additional vote.

Goodbye by Emmylou Harris - 18 points (9 + 9)

Runnin’ Down a Dream by Tom Petty - 18 points (9 + 9)

Tracks Of My Tears by Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - 16 points (10 + 6)

Hurt by Johnny Cash - 16 points (10 + 6)

Me and Bobby McGee by Janis Joplin - 14 points (9 + 5)

Use Me by Bill Withers - 13 points (9 + 4)

God Only Knows by The Beach Boys - 13 points (8 + 5)

You Get What You Give by the New Radicals - 10 points (7 + 3)

Fortunate Son by Creedence Clearwater Revival - 8 points (7 + 1)

My Sharona by The Knack - 7 points (4 + 3)

UPDATE:
Use Me by Bill Withers - 25 points (9 + 4 + 12)

I realized when I submitted my list to you I named this song "Last Dance with Mary Jane" which is what I always kinda called it.

Yeah, as I mentioned earlier, I'm not going to look up or correct stuff and will post what's submitted - couldn't care less about the distinction between TP solo or with the Heartbreakers, for instance - and will only correct a lot of typos (what's so hard, collectively, about "Mellencamp"?). But this was one where I thought, "That's not the name" only because I always think of the title the same way as you do! So I fixed it.
Are you like some kinda program director in the real world?

I realized when I submitted my list to you I named this song "Last Dance with Mary Jane" which is what I always kinda called it.

Yeah, as I mentioned earlier, I'm not going to look up or correct stuff and will post what's submitted - couldn't care less about the distinction between TP solo or with the Heartbreakers, for instance - and will only correct a lot of typos (what's so hard, collectively, about "Mellencamp"?). But this was one where I thought, "That's not the name" only because I always think of the title the same way as you do! So I fixed it.
Are you like some kinda program director in the real world?

I am No One. (Is it too late for a Game of Thrones reference?)

Big Star, R.E.M., and ZZ Top battles!!
Nightswimming was in my final cut of REM songs to rank. So many great songs to choose from, but over the past few years, Sad Professor has become my favorite.

I had a terrible time trying to choose an R.E.M. song, too. I couldn't decide if that meant I should choose more than one from them or I should list zero. Ended up with a selection that I'm still not sure is my #1. I don't remember Sad Professor by title, so I look forward to listening.

My top 5 from round 20 excluding my own choice:
This is easily the weakest round so far for my taste. I had a hard time filling out a top 5.

I also have to say I never expected to see a Debbie Gibson song in this countdown (or, for that matter, a Backstreet Boys song). To each his/her own, of course.

Uruk-Hai:

One Fine Day - Chiffons
Orthodox music history would have you believe that rock-and-roll was dead between about 1959 and 1964, and most historians cite crap like that made by various Frankies and Bobbys as evidence. With absolutely no due respect whatsoever to those who say so, they are idiots.

They conveniently forget Roy Orbison, Sam Cooke, Ray Charles, surf/instrumental bands, Brill Building songs, the freaking Beach Boys, the rise (and rise) of Motown, Bobby Bland, and too many others to name here (flip me a penny and I'll name 2 dozen more).

Gerry Goffin and Carole King wrote some of the greatest songs in pop history. Most were sung by females, singing Gerry's lyrics with Carole writing the melodies. Kinda weird, maybe, but they were kids themselves.

But.....listen to this record. It's gorgeous and makes me smile every time I hear it. That's Carole playing the piano like life would end if she didn't play it hard enough, but it's the full-of-hopes-and-dreams lead vocal, hand claps, and Goffin's lyric that slay me whenever I hear it.

Today's known-to-me favorites, not counting my own pick and Use Me, which has already been revealed to be on my list:

Folsom Prison Blues -- Johnny Cash (AAABatteries)
They Just Can't Stop It (Games People Play) -- The Spinners (jwb)
September Gurls -- Big Star (Simey)
Crazy -- Gnarls Barkley (Don Quixote)
Surrender -- Cheap Trick (Shuke)
Ball of Confusion -- The Temptations (Binky)
I Can't Go for That (No Can Do) -- Hall & Oates (Hov34)
Don't Think Twice, It's Alright -- Bob Dylan (Doc Oc)
About a Girl -- Nirvana (Ilov80s)

Is "I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die" the most badass lyric written in the last 100 years? Yes, yes it is.

As I did with Doc Oc's gang of idiots, I am ranking everybody's rankings (except mine) -- I have a list of every song revealed so far (minus the ones on my list) in the order of how much I like them. I'll do this every time we hit a number that ends in 0 or 5. It provides a glimpse of who might have the most similar tastes to me so far.

Songs by participant that are on my list or in the top 10 of songs not on my list:

Binky: 3
Hov34: 3
Krista4: 2
Neal Cassady: 2
AAABatteries: 1
DrIanMalcolm: 1
Falguy: 1
Marco: 1
Shuke: 1
Simey: 1
Simsarge: 1
Sullie: 1
Zegras11: 1

Songs by participant that are on my list or in the top 25 of songs not on my list:

Binky: 4
Hov34: 4
Shuke: 3
Chaz: 2
DrIanMalcolm: 2
Krista4: 2
Manster: 2
Neal Cassady: 2
Simey: 2
AAABatteries: 1
Don Quixote: 1
Falguy: 1
Just Win Baby: 1
jwb: 1
MAC 32: 1
Val Rannous: 1
Worrierking: 1
Zegras11: 1

Songs by participant that are on my list or in the top 50 of songs not on my list:

Hov34: 8
Krista4: 6
Binky: 5
AAABatteries: 4
Shuke: 4
DrIanMalcolm: 3
jwb: 3
Neal Cassady: 3
Zegras11: 3
Chaz: 2
Falguy: 2
Just Win Baby: 2
Manster: 2
Simey: 2
Uruk-Hai: 2
Worrierking: 2
Doc Oc: 1
Don Quixote: 1
Landryshat: 1
MAC 32: 1
Val Rannous: 1

Two days in a row that we get an Aerosmith song I wouldn't have expected to see. Nothing wrong with it, but it's probably not even in my top 20 of theirs.
That's about the reaction I expected for my Americanized Stones contribution. Growing up with 90's Aerosmith while Sweet Emotion may be their peak in my ears this was always an Edge vs Amazing decision. Those 2 are the ones I go back to the most.

I have been listening here and there over the holidays and have some notes:

Rd 22

3 songs that I just want to shout out for whatever reason:

Begin the Begin by R.E.M. I have never considered myself an R.E.M. guy but I probably should, they kind of carried smart American alt rock music for quite a stretch- did it with real energy too.

St. Louis Elegy by Mark Lanegan RIP, didn't realize he passed this year. If tears were liquor, I'd have drunk myself sick

I Don't Want to Go Home by Southside Johnny and the Asbury Blues any song that strikes me as a mix of Springsteen and Costello is a winner

Most Punk: Blank Generation by **** Hell

Most Chill: Blonde on Blonde by Nada Surf

Song that lives up to the hype: White Christmas by Bing Crosby

Best Dance Track: September by Earth, Wind and Fire (yeah I chose my own song lol)

Last edited:
Songs from Doc Oc's exercise that have appeared in our exercise so far:

Be My Baby -- The Ronettes (Doc Oc)
God Only Knows -- The Beach Boys (Doc Oc)
Let's Stay Together -- Al Green (Doc Oc)
Seven Nation Army -- The White Stripes (Doc Oc)
Smells Like Teen Spirit -- Nirvana (Doc Oc)
Summer Wind -- Frank Sinatra (Doc Oc)
Thunder Road -- Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band (Doc Oc)

Fortunate Son -- Creedence Clearwater Revival (Jeb)
We're an American Band -- Grand Funk Railroad (Jeb)
Where It's At -- Beck (Jeb)

The Rubberband Man -- The Spinners (Chap)
Tangled Up in Blue -- Bob Dylan (Chap)

Folsom Prison Blues -- Johnny Cash (Doug)
For Once in My Life -- Stevie Wonder (Doug)
Jack and Diane -- John Cougar Mellencamp (Doug)
L.A. Woman -- The Doors (Doug)
Me and Bobby McGee -- Janis Joplin (Doug)
Sweet Caroline -- Neil Diamond (Doug)
Sweet Home Alabama -- Lynyrd Skynyrd (Doug)
Take It Easy -- The Eagles (Doug)
The Tracks of My Tears -- Smokey Robinson and the Miracles (Doug)

American Pie -- Don McLean (Scooter)
Bat Out of Hell -- Meat Loaf (Scooter)
Dream On -- Aerosmith (Scooter)
La Grange -- ZZ Top (Scooter)
Ramblin' Man -- The Allman Brothers Band (Scooter)

Rd 23
3 songs that I just want to shout out for whatever reason

Oh Sweet Nuthin by The Velvet Underground
There is a great bio on Apple TV, the sound and visual quality is incredible. Came out maybe a year ago and is just called The Velvet Underground

Comedown by Anderson Paak If you aren't too familiar with modern hip-hop, this is a nice representation for what the good stuff sounds like

Give Me the Night by George Benson Wish I had a best groove category because this wins it. This is the most fun I've had all round.

Most Punk: Come Heroine by Touche Amore

Most Chill: Sunny Came Home by Shawn Colvin

Song that lives up to the hype: Johnny B Goode by Chuck Berry

Best Dance Track: Don't Leave Me This Way by Thelma Houston

Just listened to the new-to-me #21 tracks. I enjoyed the Airborne Toxic Event song and will give a special shout-out to the Backstreet Boys one for being perfectly listenable despite not being a type of music in which I usually partake. By far my favorite new-to-me on this playlist, though, was from Anderson .Paak. This made me happy because now I can like him for his talent and not solely because I'd seen pics that I thought were pretty dreamy.

Favorite new-to-me from the #21s:

Chicago -- Sufjan Stevens (Ilov80s). Another that is embarassing to say I've never heard before. I knew all about Stevens and the hype for him, but I never got around to checking him out, and didn't have anyone in my circle of friends who was pushing me to. This is like having a bonus Pet Sounds-era Beach Boys song on the countdown.

Awesome nice to hear some strong positive opinions on it. I think the Brian Wilson comparison is quite apt. Sufjan doesn't have the great voice Brian Wilson did but he certainly has the songwriting approach of a composer. Sufjan plays a bunch of instruments and is often his own producer. I think many of his albums are just him playing different instruments all multi-tracked on a computer. I would recommend some other songs but on the off chance someone else has drafted him, I don't want to steal their thunder.

Getting more difficult as the numbers get smaller. I don't want to repeat the ones that have already medaled, and there weren't enough unknowns today to fill out my list.

Gold: Waiting Room (neal)
Silver: Surrender (shuke)
Bronze: I Can't Go for That (Hov)

Honorable mention for Hum. Loved You'd Prefer an Astronaut back in the day.

Just listened to the new-to-me #21 tracks. I enjoyed the Airborne Toxic Event song and will give a special shout-out to the Backstreet Boys one for being perfectly listenable despite not being a type of music in which I usually partake. By far my favorite new-to-me on this playlist, though, was from Anderson .Paak. This made me happy because now I can like him for his talent and not solely because I'd seen pics that I thought were pretty dreamy.

This is for you then: Am I Wrong

Was my 2nd choice for him and at times I like it better than Come Down - Stick with it to the end - about 2:05 he jumps on the drums and then I little bonus at the end.

My favorites of the known-to-me for today are a knockdown, drag-out brawl between "Crazy," "Surrender," "Stars," "Folsom Prison Blues," "Doo *** (That Thing)," "September Gurls," and "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright."

I couldn't possibly select from these.

All of them have caused me to buy their respective albums or an album by the artist. Often even on vinyl, which reflects my current state of mind.

Last edited:
I hope @Hawks64 is doing all right. We are so spoiled by his making these playlists, so I am not at all complaining that we don't have one, but instead genuinely concerned. Last week when he knew he wouldn't be around one day, he asked for the songs so he could do the playlist in advance. And yesterday when I needed playlist corrections, he apologized because it took him like 30 minutes to respond.

Eephus:

Weird Ways - Strand of Oaks
Love this as well. It sounds like My Morning Jacket -- especially the guitar-and-vocal coda -- which makes sense since I once saw them open for MMJ. That was before Weird Ways existed, and the main thing I remember from their set is that they closed with JM, whose lyrics are a tribute to Jason Molina and whose music sounds like Cortez the Killer.

Rd 22

3 songs that I just want to shout out for whatever reason:

Begin the Begin by R.E.M. I have never considered myself an R.E.M. guy but I probably should, they kind of carried smart American alt rock music for quite a stretch- did it with real energy too.

St. Louis Elegy by Mark Lanegan RIP, didn't realize he passed this year. If tears were liquor, I'd have drunk myself sick

I Don't Want to Go Home by Southside Johnny and the Asbury Blues any song that strikes me as a mix of Springsteen and Costello is a winner

Most Punk: Blank Generation by **** Hell

Most Chill: Blonde on Blonde by Nada Surf

Song that lives up to the hype: White Christmas by Bing Crosby

Best Dance Track: September by Earth, Wind and Fire (yeah I chose my own song lol)
Lanegans Blues Funeral is quite an album. Its Dark Mark at his finest. I couldve chosen at least 4 tracks from it.

Have you read "Sing backwards and weep?". It's pretty nuts. Lanegan lived a crazy life at a very interesting time in the PNW music scene.

Tomorrow will be fun! (Every day also is fun.)

We have four (4!) double-up battles (same band, two different songs):
- one double-up of an artist that has had two prior selections, one of which will make its second appearance
- one double-up of an artist that has had two prior selections, one of which will make its second appearance
- one double-up of a grunge band - Pearl Jam, Nirvana, or Soundgarden?
- one "partial" double-up of an artist that is "featured" on one of tomorrow's selections and has another song that will receive its second vote tomorrow

And we have an exciting Deja Vote (same song, same artist) from one of our collective top 10 artists.*

*No spoilers here. Anyone within the top 10 would get the same introduction. Could be #1, could be #10.

Last edited:
Manster:

Blind - Elder

@Manster This is awesome and totally in my wheelhouse. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. Given your love of this, I think you will dig my pick for tomorrow.

Also: My Way into Blind is definitely the weirdest back-to-back positioning we've had so far.
Glad you dig it! I found Elder during the covid lockdown, and I fell in love! Omens was released in '20 and it's a killer concept album about the fall of our civilization. It seemed eerily appropriate at the time......it's an album to be listened to front to back...they just released Innate Passage, which given the single, Endless Return, sounds even more proggy, which is their obvious direction....they were much more doomy in their inception. Dead Roots Stirring is probly still my fave from them. It's super sludgy.

I can't wait to hear what your tomorrow pick is!

Manster:

Blind - Elder

@Manster This is awesome and totally in my wheelhouse. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. Given your love of this, I think you will dig my pick for tomorrow.

Also: My Way into Blind is definitely the weirdest back-to-back positioning we've had so far.
I can't wait to hear what your tomorrow pick is!
Just double-checked an old thread. We have discussed tomorrow's artist before, so you are familiar with them.

Shout out to these picks today:
neal cassady: Waiting Room - Fugazi
Ilov80s: About a Girl - Nirvana
rockaction: Brokedown Palace - Grateful Dead
Don Quixote: Crazy - Gnarls Barkley
Eephus: Weird Ways - Strand of Oaks

New to me that I enjoyed, though not sure they're something I'd go back to again:
Manster:
Blind - Elder
landryshat: Stars - Hum

And this song, I just recently heard it from this board. It is really growing on me.

And this song, I just recently heard it from this board. It is really growing on me.
I've said this in at least one other thread but I'll repeat it here: Who's Behind the Door? may be the best Zeppelin imitation ever recorded. If John Bonham had lived and Zep recorded a follow-up to In Through the Out Door, I suspect some of it would have sounded like this.

Through the first ten rounds, we have 10 songs that have received multiple votes. Rest assured this will change quickly, as by the end of the countdown we will have 143 songs with multiple votes.

Right now, the double-ups consist of the following. Five of these 10 songs will receive at least one additional vote.

UPDATE:

You're missing the following, at least:
Foo Fighters - Everlong
Steely Dan - Reelin' in the Years
Big Star - September Gurls

New-to-me favorites from today:

Blind -- Elder (Manster)
Weird Ways -- Strand of Oaks (Eephus)
-- I praised these two earlier. They are now my highest-ranking new-to-me songs.
Stars -- Hum (Landryshat) -- This sounds like a lot of the stuff I was listening to in the '90s, but I don't remember this at all.
I Heard It on the X -- ZZ Top (OH) -- I had not heard the Fandango album in its entirety. This track is a lot of fun.

If not for the one day I decided to binge the first four Heart albums, Mistral Wind would have ranked third on this list. It's a fine take on the '70s epic song structure.

UPDATE:

You're missing the following, at least:
Foo Fighters - Everlong
Steely Dan - Reelin' in the Years
Big Star - September Gurls

As I mentioned, I pulled up a post from a few days ago to reveal the answer to a "teaser," which was before those were doubled up, so no.

Last edited:
Tomorrow will be fun! (Every day also is fun.)

We have four (4!) double-up battles (same band, two different songs):
- one double-up of an artist that has had three prior selections, one of which will make its second appearance
- one double-up of a grunge band - Pearl Jam, Nirvana, or Soundgarden?
- one "partial" double-up of an artist that is "featured" on one of tomorrow's selections and has another song that will receive its second vote tomorrow

And we have an exciting Deja Vote (same song, same artist) from one of our collective top 10 artists.*

*No spoilers here. Anyone within the top 10 would get the same introduction. Could be #1, could be #10.

Oh! I forgot, it will be our third selection in a row from Don Quixote with "Crazy" in the title. I noted how pleasing this was when he sent his list to me.

My guess is that the title of this song was bleeped because it's assumed to be a slur, when it isn't.

Either way, I played this CD until it nearly friggin' broke back in the 90s. Lauryn Hill's album is a killer, and she's a Jersey lady, so I love her just for that, but this one always stuck with me in its warnings of being excessively quick to give up the booty to anyone who looks at you - and there's a verse dedicated to the ladies and the men, so it's pretty egalitarian in its approach here. It's pretty great.

Users who are viewing this thread