What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite 31 Songs by US Artists According to a Bunch of Middle-Aged Dummies (4 Viewers)

Well done! :thumbup: I really didn't expect anyone to try, and I'm impressed! But only one of four correct.

Also, Bryan Adams is ineligible (Canadian).

By the way, before anyone tries too hard on this (maybe too late for AAABatteries), no one is going to get this right. I'm blown away that AAA put together something with that total, though.
“1999”

“50 Ways To Leave Your Lover”

“Edge of Seventeen” by Stevie Nicks OR “At 17” by Janis Ian.

“57 Channels And Nothin’ On” by Bruce Springsteen

Can’t be it because we know only one from AAA’s list was correct. But it’s another way to get 2,123.

Last edited:
Well done! :thumbup: I really didn't expect anyone to try, and I'm impressed! But only one of four correct.

Also, Bryan Adams is ineligible (Canadian).

By the way, before anyone tries too hard on this (maybe too late for AAABatteries), no one is going to get this right. I'm blown away that AAA put together something with that total, though.
“1999”

“50 Ways To Leave Your Lover”

“Edge of Seventeen” by Stevie Nicks OR “At 17” by Janis Ian.

“57 Channels And Nothin’ On” by Bruce Springsteen

Can’t be it because we know only one from AAA’s list was correct. But it’s another way to get 2,123.

Love it. I'm legit impressed at you guys putting these together. I never would have tried! :lol:

I’ll bet this is pretty close:

“1999”
“100 Years”, Five for Fighting
“Edge of Seventeen” OR “At 17”
“Seven Nation Army” (again)

Almost positive that my song is the anchor of that math problem.

Here's a hint for you guys. :)
My guess for his song is
Miami 2017 (Seen the Lights Go Out On Broadway)
With that, you’d need only:

“100 Years” by Five for Fighting
“Take Five” (AAA’s one correct guess”
“One” by Three Dog Night or any of the other bajillion songs with “one” in the title.

You guys have two right now. :)
“Miami 2017”
“99 Problems” by Jay-Z
“Take Five”
Any of a bajillion songs with “two” in the title

Unbelievable. Yes! You have three, and the one with "2" in the title isn't one I expect anyone to get (other than the person who chose it, and her dad).
OK. So, with those clues, I suspect it's an @ditkaburgers song selection. That narrows it down to several hundred thousand with 2 in the title.

shuke:

Surrender - Cheap Trick
This song made my first cut, but not my last so I'm glad it got listed.

Saw them right after graduating HS, 8/28/1977, at the LA Forum.

KISS was the main feature. One of my four HS roommates really liked KISS a lot. He had tickets in Row 39. So I went. Never was a KISS fan. Cheap Trick was much, much better.

Have seen them twice in the last few years at the Idaho state fair - Cost $7. LOL

“Miami 2017”
“99 Problems” by Jay-Z
“Take Five”

Unbelievable. Yes! You have three, and the one with "2" in the title isn't one I expect anyone to get (other than the person who chose it, and her dad).
OK. So, with those clues, I suspect it's an @ditkaburgers song selection. That narrows it down to several hundred thousand with 2 in the title.

Given an earlier clue you gave us, I'll guess

Two Of Us - Aimee Mann

Plus Doug's other 3 songs

I realized once we got to "two" that this might mislead. I'm not surprised you went with this given that clue, but you're right that it's ditkaburgers who selected it, and this is probably not her jam.

simey, yours isn't correct, either. Again, only a billion to choose from!

“Miami 2017”
“99 Problems” by Jay-Z
“Take Five”

Two Of Us - Aimee Mann

I realized once we got to "two" that this might mislead. I'm not surprised you went with this given that clue, but you're right that it's ditkaburgers who selected it, and this is probably not her jam.

Yeah, Aimee Mann didn't seem to fit her selections so far. But "The Beatles?" clue was too hard to pass up. :lmao:

“Miami 2017”
“99 Problems” by Jay-Z
“Take Five”

Two Of Us - Aimee Mann

Yeah, Aimee Mann didn't seem to fit her selections so far. But "The Beatles?" clue was too hard to pass up. :lmao:

Well, and she really does have varied and interesting taste!

This is utterly fascinating that you guys got three songs from that open-ended clue.

Holy smoke.

Right?

AAA broke it open by getting Take Five. Then I gave a clue that simey picked up on knowing Yankee is the biggest Billy Joel fan around (though I personally still would not have gotten it from that). Then Doug smartly backed into the 99. Crazy!

Now we just need Marco to bring it home by pulling a 2 song out of nowhere! He can do it…I know he’s a better guesser than I.

Number 18:

krista4:

Strawberry Fields Forever – Richie Havens

Just Win Baby:

What’s Going On (1971), from What’s Going On - Marvin Gaye

simey:

Oh Girl - The Chi-Lites

scorchy:

Waiting Room – Fugazi

neal cassady:

Simple Twist of Fate - Bob Dylan

Uruk-Hai:

Luckenbach Texas - Waylon Jennings

Yankee23Fan:

Miami 2017 - Billy Joel

Manster:

Reach Down - Temple of the Dog

shuke:

Reelin' in the Years - Steely Dan

rockaction:

Take Five - Dave Brubeck Quartet

Mrs. Rannous:

Real Wild Child - Iggy Pop

New Binky the Doormat:

Bernadette – Four Tops

Pip’s Invitation:

Aja - Steely Dan

Dr. Octopus:

Dixie Chicken – Little Feat

Val Rannous:

Crazy on You - Heart

Chaz McNulty:

Glory Days - Bruce Springsteen

Don Quixote:

Tutti Frutti - Little Richard

Sullie:

Damn Good - David Lee Roth

jwb:

Keep it Comin’ Love – KC and the Sunshine Band

DrIanMalcolm:

No Diggity, Blackstreet ft. Dr. Dre and Queen Pen

Hawks64:

Mardi Gras - Dierks Bentley, Trombone Shorty

MAC_32:

99 Problems – Jay-Z

falguy:

The World I Know - Collective Soul

simsarge:

Love Child - Diana Ross & The Supremes

worrierking:

If You Don't Love Me (I'll Kill Myself) - Pete Droge

Eephus:

Could It Be I'm Falling in Love - The Spinners

Hov34:

Unbelievers - Vampire Weekend

ditkaburgers:

I 2 I - Tevin Campbell

AAABatteries:

You Can't Hurry Love - Supremes

landryshat:

Cure For Pain - Morphine

Zegras11:

Operator – Jim Croce

Ilov80s:

Jolene - Dolly Parton

Oliver Humanzee:

Red-Headed Stranger - Willie Nelson

The Dreaded Marco:

My Autumn's Done Come - Lee Hazlewood

Doug B:

Love Alive - Heart

KarmaPolice:

Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away) - Deftones

Answers:

• One has had two prior selections and will have two brand-new songs join the mix. (The Supremes – You Can’t Hurry Love, Love Child)
  • One has had one prior selection and will have two brand-new songs join the mix. (Heart - Crazy on You, Love Alive)
The third double-up is the most painful one for me yet, but I'm steeling myself for it. (Steely Dan - Aja, Reelin’ in the Years)

In addition to these, we will have:

• A song that name-drops another artist that is also selected in this round. (Luckenbach Texas – names Willie Nelson)
  • The Beatles? (Strawberry Fields Forever – Richie Havens)
  • Math! Solve for song titles represented by w, x, y, and z: w + x + y + z = 2,123 (Miami 2017 + Take Five + 99 Problems + I 2 I)

I don't make fun of anyone for not having heard a song; I have some huge blind spots in my own listening experience, too.

I'm sure we all do. Heh, I got chided for not knowing that White Stripes song (or prettymuch their entire catalog) Then I see on Spotify it has over a billion plays.... yowza, I am late to the party.

It's a fantastic song of course, but then I dive in deeper and find a lot I like, and it's basically "ok, here's something I wish I paid attention to years ago but I'm at least happy I'm getting to it now". Kinda like when I "discovered" the Pixies years after the fact. That's one reason I like these threads.

My selection of Richie Havens' cover of "Strawberry Fields Forever" isn't intended to cheat to get a Beatles song in here. What I wanted was to honor Richie Havens. He was introduced at his iconic Woodstock performance with, "Ladies and gentlemen, one of the most beautiful men in the whole world," and I understand why they said that. There was something about this man, something transcendent and sublime. Listening to him makes me feel electrified yet somehow extremely calm. Exuberant.

Unrelated to his music, I think this piece from NPR gives a beautiful look into this beautiful man.

I considered taking High Flying Bird or Freedom, but if I were only to hear him perform one song again for the rest of my life, it would be this one.

(Hawks, please be sure to use the version I linked, live at the Cellar Door. Thanks.)

Number 18:

krista4:

Just Win Baby:

simey:

Oh Girl - The Chi-Lites

scorchy:

Waiting Room – Fugazi

neal cassady:

Uruk-Hai:

Yankee23Fan:

Miami 2017 - Billy Joel

Manster:

shuke:

rockaction:

Mrs. Rannous:

New Binky the Doormat:

Bernadette – Four Tops

Pip’s Invitation:

Aja - Steely Dan

Dr. Octopus:

Val Rannous:

Crazy on You - Heart

Chaz McNulty:

Don Quixote:

Sullie:

jwb:

DrIanMalcolm:

Hawks64:

MAC_32:

99 Problems – Jay-Z

falguy:

simsarge:

worrierking:

Eephus:

Hov34:

ditkaburgers:

I 2 I - Tevin Campbell

AAABatteries:

landryshat:

Cure For Pain - Morphine

Zegras11:

Operator – Jim Croce

Ilov80s:

Jolene - Dolly Parton

Oliver Humanzee:

The Dreaded Marco:

Doug B:

Love Alive - Heart

KarmaPolice:

Today's list and are you trying to mess with me by posting the list so early today? :lmao:

My selection of Richie Havens' cover of "Strawberry Fields Forever" isn't intended to cheat to get a Beatles song in here. What I wanted was to honor Richie Havens. He was introduced at his iconic Woodstock performance with, "Ladies and gentlemen, one of the most beautiful men in the whole world," and I understand why they said that. There was something about this man, something transcendent and sublime. Listening to him makes me feel electrified yet somehow extremely calm. Exuberant.

Unrelated to his music, I think this piece from NPR gives a beautiful look into this beautiful man.

I considered taking High Flying Bird or Freedom, but if I were only to hear him perform one song again for the rest of my life, it would be this one.

(Hawks, please be sure to use the version I linked, live at the Cellar Door. Thanks.)
Thanks for letting me know as I tend to grab the studio versions versus live versions.

Round 19 commentary:

*My Favorite Things would be a great 4-5 minute instrumental - 13:44 is excessive (says the guy that only listens to Tool **HYPOCRITE**)
*Generally I listen to Soundgarden the least among the early 90's Seattle bands, but Loud Love is certainly one exception - great add
*Mother Blues was the best new to me, by quite a bit
*This isn't a criticism of the pick as saying a song isn't a top 20 Bruce song for me is just a testament to his catalog, but while it's the case I love the Brilliant Disguise pick. Mid-late 80's Bruce mostly lost me, but this was an exception.

Round 19 commentary:

*My Favorite Things would be a great 4-5 minute instrumental - 13:44 is excessive (says the guy that only listens to Tool **HYPOCRITE**)
*Generally I listen to Soundgarden the least among the early 90's Seattle bands, but Loud Love is certainly one exception - great add
*Mother Blues was the best new to me, by quite a bit
*This isn't a criticism of the pick as saying a song isn't a top 20 Bruce song for me is just a testament to his catalog, but while it's the case I love the Brilliant Disguise pick. Mid-late 80's Bruce mostly lost me, but this was an exception.
Ask and you shall receive..

I figured if a Havens-Beatles thing was gonna appear, it would be his version of Here Comes the Sun, which I believe was his biggest hit.

Number 18:

krista4:

Just Win Baby:

simey:

Oh Girl - The Chi-Lites

scorchy:

Waiting Room – Fugazi

neal cassady:

Uruk-Hai:

Yankee23Fan:

Miami 2017 - Billy Joel

Manster:

shuke:

rockaction:

Mrs. Rannous:

New Binky the Doormat:

Bernadette – Four Tops

Pip’s Invitation:

Aja - Steely Dan

Dr. Octopus:

Val Rannous:

Crazy on You - Heart

Chaz McNulty:

Don Quixote:

Sullie:

jwb:

DrIanMalcolm:

Hawks64:

MAC_32:

99 Problems – Jay-Z

falguy:

simsarge:

worrierking:

Eephus:

Hov34:

ditkaburgers:

I 2 I - Tevin Campbell

AAABatteries:

landryshat:

Cure For Pain - Morphine

Zegras11:

Operator – Jim Croce

Ilov80s:

Jolene - Dolly Parton

Oliver Humanzee:

The Dreaded Marco:

Doug B:

Love Alive - Heart

KarmaPolice:

Today's list and are you trying to mess with me by posting the list so early today? :lmao:
Krista asked for this version to make the playlist.

I saw him in the Supermarket a few times in Jersey City when we both lived there. It’s an odd experience to see a legend pushing a shopping cart around looking at apples.

Users who are viewing this thread