What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite 31 Songs by US Artists According to a Bunch of Middle-Aged Dummies (1 Viewer)

Do $20 bottles of Chardonnay go bad six months after being opened and stashed in the back of the fridge?

Friend says it reminds him of the cooking sherry incident at his grandma's house, circa 1981.

@shuke a couple questions:

1. were you including my 9 also-rans in your calculations?
2. do you have an updated spotify list with more than the first 1000 songs?

I scanned through the one I had liked, and there was 8-9 on my list not on yours. I take it you don't like metal and rap, so that takes out several, but there was one song in my top 10 that I was hoping was so good it would force you to put it on your list since I didn't see the artist anywhere.

1. No I am only including the top 31 lists.
2. After I got to 1000 in that thread, I stopped both updating the Spotify playlist and the first post. However I am still using my entire list for checking songs posted in this countdown.

I'd be interested in hearing what everyone's favorite opening acts were.
#1. My Morning Jacket opening for Doves. Most mismatched pairing I've ever seen. This was on their 2002 At Dawn tour. I'd never heard of them and loved Doves at the time (still do). But MMJ was awesome that night. One of my all-time favorite live bands.

#2. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club opening for Guided By Voices on their debut album tour (2001?). Again, I'd never heard them before but they blew me away. So loud and great.

Once again, some tough cuts to get into my “favorites”, in this list where I knew most of the songs.

#19s
Recognized by title alone: 23
Sounded familiar: 3
Didn't know: 9

Selected Favorites:
Fever (Uruk-Hai) Certainly not the version I’m most familiar with, but this is done well too.
Midnight Train to Georgia (simsarge)
Brilliant Disguise (Eephus)
Lorelei (Zegras11)

Songs I didn't know that I ended up liking:
The Saint of Lost Causes (Dr. Octopus)
Take Me Away (jwb) - Not that I’m unfamiliar with BOC. I guess this slipped under my radar? That, or my memory's faulty.
Summer Babe (The Dreaded Marco)
Philosophy (KarmaPolice)

I was on a business trip from Sunday to tonight, so catching up.

My top 5 from round 17 excluding my own choice:
Very strong group of songs. Easily could have included another 5+ songs in this top 5.

My top 5 from round 16 excluding my own choice:
  • @jwb : 1999 – Prince
  • @AAABatteries : I Won't Back Down - Tom Petty
  • @Ilov80s : Simple Man - Lynyrd Skynyrd
  • @Hov34 : All These Things That I've Done - The Killers
  • @krista4 : (Don’t Go Back to) Rockville – R.E.M.
Another very strong group, where I could have easily included several different songs. These top 5 lists are definitely getting harder now.

I'd be interested in hearing what everyone's favorite opening acts were.

In 1986, I went to an Aerosmith concert, and Stevie opened for them. I had never heard of him, but he completely stole the show. I have been a big fan ever since.

I'm surprised this was the first appearance by him in this countdown. I hope it won't be the last.

Forgot I had a concert to
Not bad nabbing 2 with my shortened Playlist submission. Which 2 were the same?

Final reveal after the countdown.
So you're saying it's the...Final Countdown.

(I'll show myself out.)
Not only are those guys NOT American, they called themselves "Europe".
Now explain Asia to me.

Ooh, I know. Steve Howe was tired of YES, Carl Palmer was tired of ELP, Steve took a keyboardist with him, they got a guy named Wetton to play bass and sing and in the Heat of the Moment, we got Asia.

(I'll show myself out.)
Now explain Asia to me.

Ooh, I know. Steve Howe was tired of YES, Carl Palmer was tired of ELP, Steve took a keyboardist with him, they got a guy named Wetton to play bass and sing and in the Heat of the Moment, we got Asia.
The "guy named Wetton" had an extensive history in the UK music scene, having been in Family, King Crimson, Roxy Music and UK (there's those geographical names again).

(I'll show myself out.)
Now explain Asia to me.

The "guy named Wetton" had an extensive history in the UK music scene, having been in Family, King Crimson, Roxy Music and UK (there's those geographical names again).

heh I know. I was kidding around - big fan of them. Got to see them about ten years ago before he died.

The band sounds phenomenol, but there's no getting past the singer (insert punchbowl metaphor).
A drunk NV once went off on me in another thread because I said Craig Finn sounds like a cross between Bruce Springsteen and the obnoxious guy at the end of the bar.
Great description. For me, Craig's voice is perfect for the lyrics and vibe. I won't say it's an acquired taste since I loved THS from the get-go, but it's definitely not pleasing to the ear either.

I guess Skid Row opening for GnR isn't really what you're asking here.
Oh crap, I forgot to mention I saw GnR open for Aerosmith in 1988. That was an experience.
I was at that show also. Giants Stadium with Deep Purple also in between those two bands?
No, it was at the Spectrum in Philly and there were no other bands on the bill.
Oh. At Giants Stadium it was billed as "3 generations of heavy metal" (don't think that's quite accurate for a few reasons) - GnR opened, Deep Purple went on next followed by Aerosmith.

Also later I saw Soundgarden open for GnR at MSG.

Will I catch up today? Nah, probably not. But I’ve got lots of music to share appreciation for, so let’s press forward!

#18s
Recognized by title alone: 20
Sounded familiar: 3
Didn't know: 13

Selected Favorites:
Reach Down (Manster)
Real Wild Child (Mrs. Rannous)
Love Child (simsarge)
Operator (That’s Not The Way It Feels) - (Zegras11)

Songs I didn't know that I ended up liking:
Damn Good ( Sullie)
If You Don’t Love Me (I’ll Kill Myself) - (worrierking)
Unbelievers (Hov34)
My Autumn’s Done Come (The Dreaded Marco)

Number 15:

krista4:

Marquee Moon – Television
(duplicate – second vote)

Just Win Baby:

Nuthin’ but a ‘G’ Thang (1992), from The Chronic - Dr. Dre with Snoop Dogg
(new song for both artists)

simey:

Cover Me - Percy Sledge - NOTE FROM SIMEY: It has to be this version. He re-recorded it, and I like this original version the best.
(new artist)

(@Hawks64 - please note simey’s request above)

scorchy:

Portions for Foxes – Rilo Kiley
(new artist)

neal cassady:

(Sittin’ On) the Dock of the Bay - Otis Redding
(new song)

Uruk-Hai:

A Change Is Gonna Come - Sam Cooke

Yankee23Fan:

Boys of Summer - Don Henley

Manster:

A History of Bad Men – Melvins
(new artist)

shuke:

Under the Pressure – The War on Drugs
(new song)

rockaction:

Screwdriver – White Stripes
(new song)

Mrs. Rannous:

Paper in Fire - John Mellencamp
(new song)

New Binky the Doormat:

Criminal – Fiona Apple
(new artist)

Pip’s Invitation:

Eight Miles High - The Byrds
(new artist)

Dr. Octopus:

Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers – ZZ Top
(new song)

Val Rannous:

Dulcimer Stomp/The Other Side - Aerosmith
(new song)

Chaz McNulty:

Yeah! – Usher (feat. Lil Jon and Ludacris)
(Usher - new artist; Lil Jon – new artist; Ludacris – new artist, but being doubled-up today)

Don Quixote:

Rhapsody in Blue – composed by George Gershwin, conducted by Leonard Bernstein (Columbia Symphony Orchestra)
(new artist)

(@Hawks64 – please note version)

Sullie:

Jessica - The Allman Brothers Band
(new song)

jwb:

Night Moves – Bob Seger
(new song)

DrIanMalcolm:

Night Moves, Bob Seger
(duplicate – second vote today!)

Hawks64:

The Mountain - Dierks Bentley
(new song)

MAC_32:

Get Back – Ludacris
(new song by artist selected for the first time above)

falguy:

So. Central Rain – R.E.M.
(new song)

simsarge:

Fever - Peggy Lee
(new artist)

worrierking:

Rikki Don't Lose That Number – Steely Dan
(new song)

Eephus:

The Golden State - John Doe
(new artist)

Hov34:

Turtles All the Way Down - Sturgill Simpson

ditkaburgers:

My Secret - New Edition
(new artist)

AAABatteries:

You've Got a Friend in Me - Randy Newman
(new song)

landryshat:

Monsters - Band of Horses
(new artist)

Zegras11:

I Got A Name – Jim Croce
(new song)

Ilov80s:

Regulate - Warren G (feat. Nate Dogg)
(Nate Dogg - new song; Warren G – new artist)

Oliver Humanzee:

Hit It and Quit It - Funkadelic
(new song)

The Dreaded Marco:

American Girl - Tom Petty
(new song)

Doug B:

Tell Me What You Dream - Restless Heart
(new artist)

KarmaPolice:

Ball and Biscuit - The White Stripes
(new song)

Just Win Baby:

neal cassady:

(new song)
Contributions I expected and am happy to see them finally getting their boxes checked.

Mrs. Rannous:

(new song)

New Binky the Doormat:

Criminal – Fiona Apple
(new artist)

Val Rannous:

(new song)

Ilov80s:

KarmaPolice:

(new song)
Contributions I did not expect and am thrilled to see them make the cut. None of them were to Crackerman levels, but both Paper In Fire and Ball & Biscuit elicited a fist pump.

MAC_32:

Get Back – Ludacris
I mentioned mid aughts trash hip hop with my Eminem submission and it absolutely qualifies here too. The difference between it and this track? This one's not just trash hip hop, but doubled up with Hollywood as well: Les Grossmen - the best trash comedy character of all time.

Number 15:

krista4:

neal cassady:

Yankee23Fan:

Mrs. Rannous:

Don Quixote:
Rhapsody in Blue – composed by George Gershwin, conducted by Leonard Bernstein (Columbia Symphony Orchestra)

jwb & DrIanMalcolm:
Night Moves – Bob Seger

worrierking:

AAABatteries:

Zegras11:
I Got A Name – Jim Croce

The Dreaded Marco:

Today's "good to see 'em" list from me.

"G Thing" and "Regulate" are also nostalgic blasts back to a more carefree time.

Number 15:

krista4:

Just Win Baby:

simey:

Cover Me - Percy Sledge - NOTE FROM SIMEY: It has to be this version. He re-recorded it, and I like this original version the best.
(new artist)

(@Hawks64 - please note simey’s request above)

scorchy:

Portions for Foxes – Rilo Kiley
(new artist)

neal cassady:

(new song)

Uruk-Hai:

A Change Is Gonna Come - Sam Cooke

Yankee23Fan:

Manster:

A History of Bad Men – Melvins
(new artist)

shuke:

Under the Pressure – The War on Drugs
(new song)

rockaction:

Screwdriver – White Stripes
(new song)

Mrs. Rannous:

(new song)

New Binky the Doormat:

Criminal – Fiona Apple
(new artist)

Pip’s Invitation:

(new artist)

Dr. Octopus:

Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers – ZZ Top
(new song)

Val Rannous:

(new song)

Chaz McNulty:

Yeah! – Usher (feat. Lil Jon and Ludacris)
(Usher - new artist; Lil Jon – new artist; Ludacris – new artist, but being doubled-up today)

Don Quixote:

(new artist)

(@Hawks64 – please note version)

Sullie:

Jessica - The Allman Brothers Band
(new song)

jwb:

Night Moves – Bob Seger
(new song)

DrIanMalcolm:

Night Moves, Bob Seger
(duplicate – second vote today!)

Hawks64:

The Mountain - Dierks Bentley
(new song)

MAC_32:

Get Back – Ludacris

falguy:

So. Central Rain – R.E.M.
(new song)

simsarge:

Fever - Peggy Lee
(new artist)

worrierking:

(new song)

Eephus:

The Golden State - John Doe
(new artist)

Hov34:

Turtles All the Way Down - Sturgill Simpson

ditkaburgers:

My Secret - New Edition
(new artist)

AAABatteries:

(new song)

landryshat:

Monsters - Band of Horses
(new artist)

Zegras11:

I Got A Name – Jim Croce
(new song)

Ilov80s:

Oliver Humanzee:

Hit It and Quit It - Funkadelic
(new song)

The Dreaded Marco:

(new song)

Doug B:

Tell Me What You Dream - Restless Heart
(new artist)

KarmaPolice:

(new song)
#15 Playlist one note on this, Snoop has taken a ****load of music off of the streaming services, he bought Death Row Records this year. So this means that The Chronic is *poof* but this version is the right version with what appears to be the whole DJ Easy **** schtick from Snoops' Doogystyle album in the beginning.

Sam Cooke had played the game for over a decade, smiling in front of the right people while setting himself up for what he really wanted behind their backs. He had offered glimpses of what he was up to before, but this record was to be The Move. Unfortunately, he got himself killed under unsavory circumstances before its release and all of that work never paid off.

Except, it did - because we got this performance and it was so monumental that reckoning with it is still happening almost 60 years later. Cooke's not messing around here and he's pointing fingers. This was a bold, bold choice to make at the time and he risked losing a substantial portion of his audience who only wanted to hear "Cupid" or "Twisting The Night Away" from him.

The record has its flaws (strings are mixed way too high on a song like this for my taste, but Ray Charles also had that blind spot so what the hell do I know?). But the singing and lyrics bring it on home to me. It's been covered many times, some by singers I love. No one has beat Cooke.

Based on this record, Sam Cooke's death is one of the great "what ifs" in rock history. He was already a HOFer, but things were changing and I'd have loved to see where he could have taken them.

Don Quixote:

(new artist)
This is very cool.

My daughter was in a 90-person orchestra at Mission Viejo HS. They were very good and got invited to play at Carnegie Hall.
It wound up being a week long trip for the kids and wife and I went also. Did all the tourist things.

On the last day, about a dozen HS orchestras performed. MVHS was the featured one at 8pm. I had to work in the AM , so a buddy of mine told me to try and get a seat in first row of balcony for the best experience.

My daughter played the opening solo on the clarinet to "Rhapsody in Blue," the first song they performed. She killed it. I literally cried like a baby.

The next morning at 7am, we flew back to OC, and at 4pm we were all at her graduation ceremony from HS.

Don Quixote:

(new artist)
This is very cool.

My daughter was in a 90-person orchestra at Mission Viejo HS. They were very good and got invited to play at Carnegie Hall.
It wound up being a week long trip for the kids and wife and I went also. Did all the tourist things.

On the last day, about a dozen HS orchestras performed. MVHS was the featured one at 8pm. I had to work in the AM , so a buddy of mine told me to try and get a seat in first row of balcony for the best experience.

My daughter played the opening solo on the clarinet to "Rhapsody in Blue," the first song they performed. She killed it. I literally cried like a baby.

The next morning at 7am, we flew back to OC, and at 4pm we were all at her graduation ceremony from HS.
That is pretty cool. I like the clarinet solo in Rhapsody in Blue a lot and one of the reasons up there on my list. I played clarinet in grade school, but was never good at it and could never have pulled off what your daughter did. (Maybe a band teacher whose only instruction to me was to blow more out of my diaphragm partially to blame, as, 30+ years later, I still just have a vague knowledge of where my diaphragm is and not sure how to breathe more out of that.)

I go through some phases in my music listening and was listening to a lot of classical and jazz in particular when pulling this list together (this is my second Gershwin composed one, with Summertime by Louis and Ella being the other). This is probably the first piece that really combined classical and jazz, and still just love listening to it.

Pip’s Invitation:

(new artist)

The Byrds ushered in folk rock with their version of Mr. Tambourine Man. Not long thereafter, they helped usher in psychedelia with Eight Miles High. It is considered one of the first psychedelic songs, and appears to be the first one to hit the top 40. (A ban on it by some radio stations because of alleged drug references in the lyrics prevented it from hitting the top 10). It was inspired by the Indian ragas that Roger McGuinn was growing fond of, as well as by the playing of John Coltrane. McGuinn wrote most of the music, Gene Clark wrote most of the lyrics, and David Crosby made contributions to both.

Every second of this song is a huge adventure, from McGuinn's Coltrane-inspired guitar solos to the blissful harmonies. It's the sound of the music world expanding right before our ears.

The song's possibilities were expanded even further by the 1968-72 incarnation of the Byrds, one of the best live bands of their time. (They could have carved out a Grateful Dead-like existence on the road after their hits dried up, but McGuinn wasn't interested in that.)

Crosby performed this at several shows on the CSNY reunion tours of the '00s, but not at any of the ones I attended.

Pip’s Invitation:

(new artist)

The Byrds ushered in folk rock with their version of Mr. Tambourine Man. Not long thereafter, they helped usher in psychedelia with Eight Miles High. It is considered one of the first psychedelic songs, and appears to be the first one to hit the top 40. (A ban on it by some radio stations because of alleged drug references in the lyrics prevented it from hitting the top 10). It was inspired by the Indian ragas that Roger McGuinn was growing fond of, as well as by the playing of John Coltrane. McGuinn wrote most of the music, Gene Clark wrote most of the lyrics, and David Crosby made contributions to both.

Every second of this song is a huge adventure, from McGuinn's Coltrane-inspired guitar solos to the blissful harmonies. It's the sound of the music world expanding right before our ears.

The song's possibilities were expanded even further by the 1968-72 incarnation of the Byrds, one of the best live bands of their time. (They could have carved out a Grateful Dead-like existence on the road after their hits dried up, but McGuinn wasn't interested in that.)

Crosby performed this at several shows on the CSNY reunion tours of the '00s, but not at any of the ones I attended.
This is an incredible-sounding record. It's even better when tripping. Or so I've heard from friends :unsure:

I never looked into to it, but @Pip's Invitation do you know who played on this recording? I know who did on "Mr Tambourine Man", and it wasn't The Byrds (outside of McGuinn). I'm not asking to knock The Byrds or the song, but to trot out my usual rant about Rolling Stone's hypocrisy.

Users who are viewing this thread