What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite 31 Songs by US Artists According to a Bunch of Middle-Aged Dummies (2 Viewers)

Again - great mix today, everybody!
I am liking this format a lot, and it seems there is a little more of a group effort to listen and comment on picks.

This is a good point. In a draft, we kinda comment if we know it or complain about being sniped, but then we move on to another pick. This format, with the playlists every day, really encourages listening and commenting, and it seems almost everyone has been an active participant!

Possibly my favorite music thread to date.

Yea this is a great thread. I didn't have time to comment today but that's going to happen. I'm enjoying lots of new to me stuff and hearing old favorites.

I indulged my insistent yen for smooth adult contemporary with today’s selection, “Tell Me What You Dream”. The release of this single was risky for Restless Heart. The country music establishment completely rejected the song — for a band that had fifteen country Top 10s to date, this song missed the country singles chart altogether. Instead, “Tell Me What You Dream” became Restless Heart’s first Adult Contemporary #1. They would never place a song in the country Top 10 again.

Restless Heart’s version is a fairly faithful cover of Timothy B. Shmit’s 1985 original. I wonder if the house might prefer Shmit’s version? The bass guitar is a lot further forward in the mix and the electric piano makes it sound kind of ethereal.
Having not heard of Restless Heart, when this came on I guessed this was a yacht rock song from the 70s.

I indulged my insistent yen for smooth adult contemporary with today’s selection, “Tell Me What You Dream”. The release of this single was risky for Restless Heart. The country music establishment completely rejected the song — for a band that had fifteen country Top 10s to date, this song missed the country singles chart altogether. Instead, “Tell Me What You Dream” became Restless Heart’s first Adult Contemporary #1. They would never place a song in the country Top 10 again.

Restless Heart’s version is a fairly faithful cover of Timothy B. Shmit’s 1985 original. I wonder if the house might prefer Shmit’s version? The bass guitar is a lot further forward in the mix and the electric piano makes it sound kind of ethereal.
I thought I recognized the band name but the song itself made me question things. Went to Wiki this morning and saw Restless Heart had a big Adult Contemporary hit in 1987. Pull up I'll Still Be Loving You on youtube and damn, my 14-year old self had many a couples-skate to that at the roller rink. Also huge on the OC104 dedication line.

As I did with Doc Oc's gang of idiots, I am ranking everybody's rankings (except mine) -- I have a list of every song revealed so far (minus the ones on my list) in the order of how much I like them. I'll do this every time we hit a number that ends in 0 or 5. It provides a glimpse of who might have the most similar tastes to me so far.

Songs by participant that are on my list or in the top 10 of songs not on my list:

AAABatteries: 3
Hov34: 3
Krista4: 3
Neal Cassady: 3
JustWinBaby: 2
Binky: 1
DrIanMalcolm: 1
Marco: 1
OH: 1
Shuke: 1
Simey: 1
Simsarge: 1
Sullie: 1

Songs by participant that are on my list or in the top 25 of songs not on my list:

Binky: 4
Manster: 3
DrIanMalcolm: 2
Marco: 2
Shuke: 2
Simey: 2
Worrierking: 2
DonQuixote: 1
Eephus: 1
Falguy: 1
jwb: 1
KarmaPolice: 1
Val Rannous: 1
Zegras11: 1

Songs by participant that are on my list or in the top 50 of songs not on my list:

Hov34: 6
Binky: 5
Krista4: 5
AAABatteries: 4
Neal Cassady: 4
Shuke: 4
Worrierking: 4
DonQuixote: 3
DrIanMalcolm: 3
Falguy: 3
JustWinBaby: 3
jwb: 3
Chaz: 2
OH: 2
Simsarge: 2
Sullie: 2
Uruk-Hai: 2
Zegras11: 2
MAC 32: 1
Rockaction: 1

Songs by participant that are on my list or in the top 75 of songs not on my list:

Krista4: 9
Hov34: 8
AAABatteries: 6
Binky: 6
Shuke: 6
DonQuixote: 5
jwb: 5
Uruk-Hai: 5
DrIanMalcolm: 4
JustWinBaby: 4
Zegras11: 4
Simey: 3
Doc Oc: 2
MAC 32: 2
Ilov80s: 1
Landryshat: 1
Scorchy: 1

There are 11 instances of someone picking a song that is on my list. Three of those are Use Me. One is Everlong. The other songs haven't been revealed yet.

Having not heard of Restless Heart, when this came on I guessed this was a yacht rock song from the 70s.
Yacht-adjacent in sound, but IMHO harkens back more the easy-listening country crossovers of the late 70s & early 80s.

Well, we're getting to the point where we're seeing lots of songs we've seen before. And tomorrow we have not one but two Deja Votes. In fact, one of the songs that has the Deja Votes also has a triple-up with another song from the same artist. The "odd man out" second song from that artist is my pick. I'm right and you two are wrong. :boxing:

In addition to the two Deja Votes and triple-up, there's a double-up of yet another artist.

Plus a bunch of songs we've seen before.

I think you guys are going to love this round.
September Gurls and Ballad of El Goodo

Yacht-adjacent in sound, but IMHO harkens back more the easy-listening country crossovers of the late 70s & early 80s.
Yes. All of that was called "adult contemporary" at the time.

Well, we're getting to the point where we're seeing lots of songs we've seen before. And tomorrow we have not one but two Deja Votes. In fact, one of the songs that has the Deja Votes also has a triple-up with another song from the same artist. The "odd man out" second song from that artist is my pick. I'm right and you two are wrong. :boxing:

In addition to the two Deja Votes and triple-up, there's a double-up of yet another artist.

I think Ballad of El Goodo is her #1 and we won't see it today.

One song I did not highlight at the time, but with hindsight should have - Not Ready To Make Nice, Dixie The Chicks. Whoever brought that into my life, thank you (y)

I think Ballad of El Goodo is her #1 and we won't see it today.

@landrys hat probably remembers that's one of my favorites due to sniping me on it sometime. But Pip's right that I have it higher than this spot. September Gurls does come up today, though!

Round 14 coming shortly.

As I did with Doc Oc's gang of idiots, I am ranking everybody's rankings (except mine) -- I have a list of every song revealed so far (minus the ones on my list) in the order of how much I like them. I'll do this every time we hit a number that ends in 0 or 5. It provides a glimpse of who might have the most similar tastes to me so far.

Songs by participant that are on my list or in the top 10 of songs not on my list:

Binky: 1
DrIanMalcolm: 1
Marco: 1
Shuke: 1
Simey: 1

Songs by participant that are on my list or in the top 25 of songs not on my list:

Binky: 4
DrIanMalcolm: 2
Shuke: 2
Worrierking: 2
DonQuixote: 1
Falguy: 1
jwb: 1
Zegras11: 1

Songs by participant that are on my list or in the top 50 of songs not on my list:

Hov34: 6
Binky: 5
Krista4: 5
AAABatteries: 4
Shuke: 4
DonQuixote: 3
DrIanMalcolm: 3
JustWinBaby: 3
jwb: 3
Uruk-Hai: 2
Zegras11: 2
MAC 32: 1

Songs by participant that are on my list or in the top 75 of songs not on my list:

Krista4: 9
Hov34: 8
AAABatteries: 6
Binky: 6
Shuke: 6
DonQuixote: 5
jwb: 5
Uruk-Hai: 5
DrIanMalcolm: 4
JustWinBaby: 4
Zegras11: 4
Simey: 3
Doc Oc: 2
MAC 32: 2
Ilov80s: 1
Landryshat: 1
Scorchy: 1

There are 11 instances of someone picking a song that is on my list. Three of those are Use Me. One is Everlong. The other songs haven't been revealed yet.
I am CRUSHING your 51-75 group!

(narrator: he'd better enjoy it now, because a huge drop-off is likely coming)

Number 14:

krista4:

God Only Knows – The Beach Boys
(duplicate – third vote)

Just Win Baby:

Hotel California (1977), from Hotel California - Eagles
(new song)

simey:

Good Vibrations - The Beach Boys
(new song)

scorchy:

Hypnotize – Notorious B.I.G.
(new artist)

neal cassady:

Sinnerman - Nina Simone
(new artist)

Uruk-Hai:

Barefootin’ - Robert Parker
(new artist)

Yankee23Fan:

Paradise by the Dashboard Light - Meat Loaf
(duplicate – second vote)

Manster:

Cemetery Gates – Pantera
(new artist)

shuke:

Lazy Eye - Silversun Pickups
(new song)

rockaction:
A Report to the Shareholders - Run The Jewels
(new artist)

Mrs. Rannous:

She Talks To Angels - The Black Crowes
(new song)

New Binky the Doormat:

(I Know) I’m Losing You – The Temptations
(new song)

Pip’s Invitation:

(duplicate – second vote today!)

Dr. Octopus:

24 Frames - Jason Isbell
(new artist)

Val Rannous:

Foreplay/Long Time - Boston
(duplicate – third vote)

Chaz McNulty:

Mr. Jones – Counting Crows
(new artist)

Don Quixote:

Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes
(duplicate – third vote)

Sullie:

Romeo Is Bleeding - Hall & Oates
(new song)

jwb:

Respect – Aretha Franklin

DrIanMalcolm:

Black Myself, Amythyst Kiah
(new artist)

Hawks64:

Walk on Water – Eminem (feat. Beyonce)
(new song for both artists)

MAC_32:

Hurricane - Bob Dylan
(new song)

falguy:

Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen
(new song)

simsarge:

Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) - Nancy Sinatra
(new artist)

worrierking:

I Am Trying to Break Your Heart - Wilco

Eephus:

Neither One Of Us (Wants To Be The First To Say Goodbye) - Gladys Knight & The Pips
(new song)

Hov34:

ditkaburgers:

Jesus of Suburbia - Green Day
(new song)

AAABatteries:

Free Bird - Lynyrd Skynyrd
(new song)

landryshat:

September Gurls - Big Star
(duplicate – third vote)

Zegras11:

Superstition - Stevie Wonder

Ilov80s:

It Was a Good Day - Ice Cube
(new artist)

Oliver Humanzee:

Knoxville Girl - The Louvin Brothers
(new artist)

The Dreaded Marco:

Misunderstood - Wilco
(new song)

Doug B:

Jack and Jill – Raydio
(new artist)

KarmaPolice:

B.O.B. - Outkast
(new song)

Last edited:
Everyone who had "Lazy Eye" by Silversun Pickups as one of the Deja Votes today, raise your hand!

The other is, of course, two votes for Good Vibrations for a Deja Vote and a third vote by me for God Only Knows to give The Beach Boys a triple-up today.

In addition, we have a double-up battle between two Wilco songs.

When I'm searching out YouTube links for those that don't have them, I often let the song play while I'm looking up the next link, unless I know I hate it and want to pause the video right away. In doing this last night, I heard the first bit of that Hall & Oates song and am intrigued to hear the rest today.

I also left the Pantera one on and joked to OH, "Is this your favorite Pantera song?" on the assumption he would hate the band. He then went on a 10-minute discourse about Pantera and how good some of the songs are. Hmph, who knew.

So Amythyst Kiah is a folky-blues artist, who I saw once open for Brandi Carlile in Forest Hills, and she was in a group for a bit called "Our Native Daughters," also a folk-y kind of group.

To my mind she's more of a modern blues artist, with a combo of ethereal songs and very powerful wailing, but she's not a preservationist in any way. She said this song, "Black Myself," is one of the first she wrote that was truly confrontational - which you can easily see in the lyrics. She does this acoustic a lot (her band got stuck at the airport when I saw her), but the electric version is also very haunting. A sample of the lyrics, from verse 2, which is pretty great, and then the song turns, and becomes affirming, if you read the entire lyrics, but this is just a part:

I don't pass the test of the paper bag
'Cause I'm black myself
I pick the banjo up and they sneer at me
'Cause I'm black myself
You better lock your doors when I walk by
'Cause I'm black myself
You look me in my eyes but you don't see me
'Cause I'm black myself

Is you washed in the blood of your chattel?
'Cause the lamb's rotted away
When they stopped shipping work horses
They bred their own anyway, ooh
Black myself

So Amythyst Kiah is a folky-blues artist, who I saw once open for Brandi Carlile in Forest Hills, and she was in a group for a bit called "Our Native Daughters," also a folk-y kind of group.

To my mind she's more of a modern blues artist, with a combo of ethereal songs and very powerful wailing, but she's not a preservationist in any way. She said this song, "Black Myself," is one of the first she wrote that was truly confrontational - which you can easily see in the lyrics. She does this acoustic a lot (her band got stuck at the airport when I saw her), but the electric version is also very haunting. A sample of the lyrics, from verse 2, which is pretty great, and then the song turns, and becomes affirming, if you read the entire lyrics, but this is just a part:

'Cause I'm black myself
'Cause I'm black myself
'Cause I'm black myself
'Cause I'm black myself

Black myself
XPN plays the hell out of this. It's a powerful, churning song. Nice pull, sir.

Everyone who had "Lazy Eye" by Silversun Pickups as one of the Deja Votes today, raise your hand!

The other is, of course, two votes for Good Vibrations for a Deja Vote and a third vote by me for God Only Knows to give The Beach Boys a triple-up today.

I really thought Cemetery Gates was gonna be one of the Deja Votes.......I mean, who doesn't love Pantera? One of the most influential metal bands of the 90's......Dimebag Darrell with the crushing, sludgy riffs! Anselmo hitting the metal high notes like he's Rob F'n Halford! :shades:

I'd be hard pressed to find 10 better songs from the aughts.
Yeah, this was another whiff by me and a band I forgot about when making my list.
Rather than compiling a last 5 out list I am compiling a 5 HOW THE **** DID YOU FORGET THIS YOU DUMB *** list. I'm up to 4 and we still have 13 rounds to go, so I hope my derp:round ratios dramatically improve or I'm gonna have to expand beyond 5.

I really thought Cemetery Gates was gonna be one of the Deja Votes.......I mean, who doesn't love Pantera? One of the most influential metal bands of the 90's......Dimebag Darrell with the crushing, sludgy riffs! Anselmo hitting the metal high notes like he's Rob F'n Halford! :shades:
Best friend from high school planned to go to the show in which Dimebag was assassinated, but thankfully got sick and missed it - iirc we're near the anniversary.

When I was 13, I took guitar lessons. My teacher had all of his students play in a guitar recital about 6 months into my lessons. Two friends and I played Hotel California. To help prepare, I probably listened to the song 1000 times. Somehow, I still like it. I put the version from the studio album in my list, but I should have put the version from Eagles Live, which is better IMO.

'Cause I'm black myself
'Cause I'm black myself
'Cause I'm black myself
'Cause I'm black myself

Black myself
XPN plays the hell out of this. It's a powerful, churning song. Nice pull, sir.
Yep, that’s where I know it from as well. Great song.

Uruk-Hai:

Cookout/BBQ music of the first order. Not frenzied, but locks into its groove and will not be stopped. If I'm having a bad day and this comes on, I'm all-of-a-sudden having a good day.

Also, if you think this song is about "dancing" you're even more unsuspecting than I am.
I was only familiar with the Pete Townsend live cover - nice version linked. Very fun song.

Not really into hip hop but I always thought Cube was cool.

Get me on the court and I'm trouble...
Last week ****ed around and got a triple double

Best friend from high school planned to go to the show in which Dimebag was assassinated, but thankfully got sick and missed it - iirc we're near the anniversary.
Wow...... He was killed on Dec 8th 2004 while playing with DamagePlan....RIP

neal cassady:

Sinnerman - Nina Simone
(new artist)
I had a good feeling that Miss Simone would start to show up here soon. Love this one.

I think "The Summer of Soul" doc with Simone's amazing performance in it was previously mentioned in this thread. The "What Happened, Miss Simone?" documentary another great one, just focused on her life and career.

New Binky the Doormat:

My dumb-*** "one song per artist" rule cost me this one. It's been covered to death by classic rockers, but they all lose to the GOAT. Those freaking horns, man. Plus, though both Rod Stewart and the dude from Rare Earth were fine singers, they weren't David Ruffin. And neither of those bands had the finesse of the Funk Brothers.

Nailed it @New Binky the Doormat

See how good it would be if you actually stayed in a draft until the end?
You know ... this exercise is kind of like a draft where you just make all your picks up front. And then someone else does the Lord's work in rolling all the picks out day by day and facilitating discussion. And if someone gets busy and has to duck out for a few days -- it's all good. You don't fall behind a dozen picks or anything like that.

Looking forward to more in this format :thumbup:

Funny I just mentioned it in here the other day for bands that I enjoyed the opening act

Wow...... He was killed on Dec 8th 2004 while playing with DamagePlan....RIP
My HS buddy was there . He still plays in a metal band in Columbus and talks about that night often.

Number 14:

krista4:

God Only Knows – The Beach Boys
(duplicate – third vote)

Just Win Baby:

Hotel California (1977), from Hotel California - Eagles
(new song)

simey:

(new song)

scorchy:

Hypnotize – Notorious B.I.G.
(new artist)

neal cassady:

Sinnerman - Nina Simone
(new artist)

Uruk-Hai:

(new artist)

Yankee23Fan:

Paradise by the Dashboard Light - Meat Loaf

Manster:

Cemetery Gates – Pantera
(new artist)

shuke:

(new song)

rockaction:
A Report to the Shareholders - Run The Jewels
(new artist)

Mrs. Rannous:

She Talks To Angels - The Black Crowes
(new song)

New Binky the Doormat:

(new song)

Pip’s Invitation:

Dr. Octopus:

24 Frames - Jason Isbell
(new artist)

Val Rannous:

Foreplay/Long Time - Boston
(duplicate – third vote)

Chaz McNulty:

Mr. Jones – Counting Crows
(new artist)

Don Quixote:

Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes
(duplicate – third vote)

Sullie:

Romeo Is Bleeding - Hall & Oates
(new song)

jwb:

Respect – Aretha Franklin

DrIanMalcolm:

Black Myself, Amythyst Kiah
(new artist)

Hawks64:

Walk on Water – Eminem (feat. Beyonce)
(new song for both artists)

MAC_32:

Hurricane - Bob Dylan
(new song)

falguy:

Born To Run - Bruce Springsteen
(new song)

simsarge:

Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) - Nancy Sinatra
(new artist)

worrierking:

I Am Trying to Break Your Heart - Wilco

Eephus:

Neither One Of Us (Wants To Be The First To Say Goodbye) - Gladys Knight & The Pips
(new song)

Hov34:

ditkaburgers:

Jesus of Suburbia - Green Day
(new song)

AAABatteries:

Free Bird - Lynyrd Skynyrd
(new song)

landryshat:

September Gurls - Big Star
(duplicate – third vote)

Zegras11:

Superstition - Stevie Wonder

Ilov80s:

It Was a Good Day - Ice Cube
(new artist)

Oliver Humanzee:

Knoxville Girl - The Louvin Brothers
(new artist)

The Dreaded Marco:

Misunderstood - Wilco
(new song)

Doug B:

Jack and Jill – Raydio
(new artist)

KarmaPolice:

B.O.B. - Outkast
(new song)
#14 playlist

When I was 13, I took guitar lessons. My teacher had all of his students play in a guitar recital about 6 months into my lessons. Two friends and I played Hotel California. To help prepare, I probably listened to the song 1000 times. Somehow, I still like it. I put the version from the studio album in my list, but I should have put the version from Eagles Live, which is better IMO.
Want it switched?

When I'm searching out YouTube links for those that don't have them, I often let the song play while I'm looking up the next link, unless I know I hate it and want to pause the video right away. In doing this last night, I heard the first bit of that
Hall
& Oates song and am intrigued to hear the rest today.

I also left the Pantera one on and joked to OH, "Is this your favorite Pantera song?" on the assumption he would hate the band. He then went on a 10-minute discourse about Pantera and how good some of the songs are. Hmph, who knew.

Always loved that song, the guitar part hooked me and I was really surprised b/c it didn't sound like the typical H&O song, it has a nice, heaviness to it. I always felt like H&O songs really went light and restrained with the electric guitar parts back in the day. Anyway, wiki says Allen Gorrie co-wrote the song with John Hall and Dave Stewart from the Eurythmics gets credit for electric guitar work on this song. The album was released in 1997 and then just re-released in March of 2022 on streaming, vinyl and cd.

Today's known-to-me favorites, excluding Good Vibrations and I Am Trying to Break Your Heart, which are known to be on my list:

Superstition -- Stevie Wonder (Zegras11)
Hurricane -- Bob Dylan (MAC 32)
God Only Knows -- The Beach Boys (Krista)
Respect -- Aretha Franklin (jwb)
September Gurls -- Big Star (Landryshat)
Seven Nation Army -- The White Stripes (Don Quixote)
Free Bird -- Lynyrd Skynyrd (AAABatteries)
Foreplay/Long Time -- Boston (Val Rannous)
(I Know) I'm Losing You -- The Temptations (Binky)
Misunderstood -- Wilco (Marco)
Hotel California -- The Eagles (Just Win Baby)
Jack and Jill -- Raydio (Doug B)

Favorite new to me:
New Binky the Doormat: Criminal – Fiona Apple

Wat???

:shrug:

I don't know this song, either. Haven't had time for the new-to-me songs today so will check it out tomorrow.

I really like all of her stuff - but her first album "Tidal" is fantastic. Really tough choice between "Criminal" and two other songs off of it and the entire album is killer.

"Sleep to Dream"

"Shadowboxer"

Users who are viewing this thread