What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite 31 Songs by US Artists According to a Bunch of Middle-Aged Dummies (2 Viewers)

In my partial defense, I had been talking about trying to get away somewhere in January, though I was thinking someplace warm. Then I got an email from Delta yesterday with a big sale on fares to various spots, and OH was encouraging me to take advantage of the one to Brussels because of all the cool day trips I could do from there (I've been to Brussels before). Then I decided on Amsterdam instead because it would only involve one flight, and I can do the same day trips (I've also visited Amsterdam twice before).

Will I keep this reservation? Unsure.

ditkaburgers loves Ghent

Hov34:

Everlong - Foo Fighters
(duplicate - third vote)

@krista4 The spreadsheet and my records indicate that this was listed for Hov in round 22. Is that an error or did he vote for it twice?

Oopsie. Still feeling the effects of last night's wine. Let me check this.

Ah yes, I read "10" as being #10 instead of being the number of points, which is what he gave Everlong. Here's the real pick, and I'll update the post (@falguy and @Hawks64 , please note my mistake).

That's How Strong My Love Is - Otis Redding
Corrections will be reflected in the spreadsheet tomorrow after I add round 9.

MAC_32:

In The Ghetto - Elvis Presley
(new song)

My apologies to @MAC_32 but I can't listen to this song any longer because of this.
Is that Cartman? Not clicking on the link if it is. :laugh:
I am not clicking on this for the same reason. It was one thing for him to take Come Sail Away from me. In the ghetto is a line in the sand though.

Is Kyle's Mom is a ***** in your top 5?
That is the only song I have ever karaoke'd. I was very drunk.

I enjoyed that Ben Harper song today

I'm looking forward to checking that one out.

Just finishing my listening party of yesterday's selections. Our cat, The Squirrel, likes to sleep in a box that's right by the little speaker I'm listening on. Today he was sleeping happily until the Bootsy Collins song came on. He sat up and stared at me like this through the whole song. When it was done, he went back to sleep. @simey , could you interpret this look for me? Was he a fan?

krista4:

Return of the Grievous Angel – Gram Parsons
(duplicate – third vote)

You expressed surprise that Use Me until recently had all the Bill Withers votes. I am equally surprised that this has all the Gram Parsons votes. He has many songs that are deserving, despite his career being so short.
I'm think we may get a Flying Burrito Brothers' tune in the top 10
It would be awesome if you picked Hot Burrito #2 after picking Hot Burrito #1 in your first countdown.

I enjoyed that Ben Harper song today

I'm looking forward to checking that one out.

Just finishing my listening party of yesterday's selections. Our cat, The Squirrel, likes to sleep in a box that's right by the little speaker I'm listening on. Today he was sleeping happily until the Bootsy Collins song came on. He sat up and stared at me like this through the whole song. When it was done, he went back to sleep. @simey , could you interpret this look for me? Was he a fan?
Nice speaker choice. (y)

Hov34:

Everlong - Foo Fighters
(duplicate - third vote)

@krista4 The spreadsheet and my records indicate that this was listed for Hov in round 22. Is that an error or did he vote for it twice?

Oopsie. Still feeling the effects of last night's wine. Let me check this.

Ah yes, I read "10" as being #10 instead of being the number of points, which is what he gave Everlong. Here's the real pick, and I'll update the post (@falguy and @Hawks64 , please note my mistake).

That's How Strong My Love Is - Otis Redding
Swapped out.

Favorite new-to-me from today:

The Rat -- The Walkmen (Rockaction). I'm not sure if I've heard it before or not. In the GP4 thread I told the story of randomly being invited to a frat party at Penn (by the same guy who introduced me to My Morning Jacket) where these guys were playing. I stood by the side of the stage, slackjawed, staring at the drummer the whole time. He was incredible. I have no idea if this song was played at that show or even existed at the time, but it reminds me of that day.
The Woman in You -- Ben Harper (Manster). Harper's vocal on this is incredible. It sounds like Robert Plant in spots. I don't say things like that lightly.
Precious Stones -- Mastodon (KarmaPolice). Is this math rock? It sounds a little math-y to me. Anyway, this is another track with incredible drumming.

Every day the listening is getting better, but as folks were pointing at earlier, finding new songs to highlight is growing more difficult.

The Man Who Sold the World (Just Win Baby) - would be my favorite song on one of my favorite 90s albums if it wasn't for another one that I can't name due to spoilers.
Until You Came Along (Uruk-Hai) - I first heard this on an alt-country sampler from Rough Trade. Really should go dig the CDs up from the basement b/c it looks to be a gem - Mekons, Whiskeytown, Gun Club, Dream Syndicate and dozens more.
The Rat (rock) - Love this one so much and it almost made my list. At one point I was debating between it and We've Been Had and in not wanting to make the call, didn't pick either.

Last edited:
Very happy to see the the love "Return of the Grievous Angel" is getting. Such a phenomenal song. I go back and forth on whether I think this or "She" is Gram's greatest composition, but the presence of Emmylou's vocals makes "Angel" his song I most enjoy listening to (probably across all of his bands).

The most shocking thing for me so far in this thread is probably the love that Boston is getting. Sure "Foreplay/Long Time" and "Peace of Mind" (which it is also weird to me that "More Than a Feeling has been mentioned but this hasn't) have some fun guitar riffs, but otherwise I think of Boston as the most generic of all generic classic rock bands. I have some of their songs on my regular playlist but when they come up I almost always skip them.

I don't think so.

Number 10:

krista4:

Return of the Grievous Angel – Gram Parsons
(duplicate – third vote)
Going back to some dupes...

When I was in grad school, my girlfriend's parents took us out to dinner and her mom tried to impress me by talking about this big "alternative" rock star she grew up with in her little town central Florida town. When she dropped the name Gram Parsons, I - like the jerk I was - just said "Never heard of him." I think I followed it up with "Unless you mean Graham Parker," who obviously didn't grow up in Florida. Less than 10 years later, I was so into Gram that I read two books about him, watched the silly movie Grand Theft Parsons, and even visited the Joshua Tree Inn on a trip to Palm Springs. I was in Florida for work a while back and met the ex for dinner. I really wanted to ask if she could bring her mom. Would have been a much better evening.

Yankee23Fan:

American Girl - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
(duplicate - third vote)
Back before the internet, pretty much everyone at UF was convinced this song was about a girl who killed herself jumping from Beatty Towers residence hall. The towers were right next to US 441 and you can totally hear the cars rolls by. Tom denied it has anything to do with Gainesville, but his house was literally a couple blocks from 441. I choose to believe the legend.

In my partial defense, I had been talking about trying to get away somewhere in January, though I was thinking someplace warm. Then I got an email from Delta yesterday with a big sale on fares to various spots, and OH was encouraging me to take advantage of the one to Brussels because of all the cool day trips I could do from there (I've been to Brussels before). Then I decided on Amsterdam instead because it would only involve one flight, and I can do the same day trips (I've also visited Amsterdam twice before).

Will I keep this reservation? Unsure.

ditkaburgers loves Ghent
I got tickets to Belgium the other night when United was having a huge points/miles promotion, but unlike K4, I wasn't drunk. Will be spending a few days there in March after 5 nights in London. We were debating whether to stay in Brussels or Ghent. Do you know why ditkaburgers is so high on Ghent?

Back before the internet, pretty much everyone at UF was convinced this song was about a girl who killed herself jumping from Beatty Towers residence hall. The towers were right next to US 441 and you can totally hear the cars rolls by. Tom denied it has anything to do with Gainesville, but his house was literally a couple blocks from 441. I choose to believe the legend.
I wonder if my cousins know that urban legend. They grew up in Gainesville, and their mom (my Aunt) worked at UF her whole career. My Uncle graduated from there. My cousins turned me on to TP in the 70s when we'd go visit. I remember when my cousin played the debut album, and I loved the song The Wild One, Forever. I still do.

I got tickets to Belgium the other night when United was having a huge points/miles promotion, but unlike K4, I wasn't drunk. Will be spending a few days there in March after 5 nights in London. We were debating whether to stay in Brussels or Ghent. Do you know why ditkaburgers is so high on Ghent?

The Delta promotion that I fell for was a points/miles thing, too. That's how they get us!

If you end up in Brussels, just pencil yourself in to spend as much time at the Delirium Cafe as possible. I don't even drink beer, yet loved it.

I don't think so.
:lmao:
He also did not enjoy today's MGMT song, but I did!

I don't think so.
:lmao:
He also did not enjoy today's MGMT song, but I did!
I liked the song too, and it was new to me.

The Delta promotion that I fell for was a points/miles thing, too. That's how they get us!

If you end up in Brussels, just pencil yourself in to spend as much time at the Delirium Cafe as possible. I don't even drink beer, yet loved it.
We had already booked tickets a few months back for Grand Cayman, figuring it was the last year we would be taking a spring break with our son since he's a senior in HS. Then we learned over Thanksgiving that he was going to Kyrgyzstan for 3 weeks instead. We had already been to GC a bunch so canceled and figured we would just stay home. The United sale on Cyber Monday sent me into a whirlwind of planning and I remembered the Hold Steady were doing their annual 3-night stint in London. Boom. You get a free stopover with United so we're going DC-London-Brussels-DC for 26K miles round-trip each. Tough to beat that.

Even if we don't stay in Brussels, we'll definitely check out your rec if it's anywhere near the train to Ghent.

Forgot to post about the new-to-me songs from yesterday. I didn't like them. :lol: There weren't many of them, though. I did enjoy the song from Black Pumas. Interesting duo.

My known-to-me shout-outs today go to "The Rat" from The Walkmen, "In the Ghetto" from Elvis, and the song with a very long title from Love. I always like The Walkmen's stuff but forget to listen to them. Glad to see that one on the list today! I don't like much Elvis, but "In the Ghetto" and "Suspicious Minds" are big exceptions. And anything from Love automatically gets a heart.

Today was much more successful on the "new-to-me" songs. In addition to MGMT and Golden Smog, which I already mentioned, the Ben Harper song was smooth and sexy, the John Mayer one was surprisingly not awful, and I even liked one from something called "Mastodon." Great playlist today!!

We had already booked tickets a few months back for Grand Cayman, figuring it was the last year we would be taking a spring break with our son since he's a senior in HS. Then we learned over Thanksgiving that he was going to Kyrgyzstan for 3 weeks instead. We had already been to GC a bunch so canceled and figured we would just stay home. The United sale on Cyber Monday sent me into a whirlwind of planning and I remembered the Hold Steady were doing their annual 3-night stint in London. Boom. You get a free stopover with United so we're going DC-London-Brussels-DC for 26K miles round-trip each. Tough to beat that.

Even if we don't stay in Brussels, we'll definitely check out your rec if it's anywhere near the train to Ghent.

Wow, that's a fantastic deal! Trip sounds amazing.

What's going on in Kyrgyzstan?

The most shocking thing for me so far in this thread is probably the love that Boston is getting. Sure "Foreplay/Long Time" and "Peace of Mind" (which it is also weird to me that "More Than a Feeling has been mentioned but this hasn't) have some fun guitar riffs, but otherwise I think of Boston as the most generic of all generic classic rock bands. I have some of their songs on my regular playlist but when they come up I almost always skip them.
I've always liked the song More Than A Feeling, and I think Brad Delp was a great rock singer. I bet a lot of rock singers wish they had his vocals.

Wow, that's a fantastic deal! Trip sounds amazing.

What's going on in Kyrgyzstan?
Mrs. Scorchy ♥️'s Craig Finn from the Hold Steady. Years back, when my wife was going through a bunch of work crap, I bid on and won a "Stay Positive" pep talk with Craig, and he called her and they talked for more than hour (despite the bid only being for 10 minutes). We've met him a few times since and he always remembers. So it should be a great time.

My son went to Kazakhstan and lived with a host family for the summer as part of a State Dept critical language scholarship program. He made some connections and is now headed back on another free trip to Central Asia. Lucky kid.

Forgot to post about the new-to-me songs from yesterday. I didn't like them. :lol: There weren't many of them, though. I did enjoy the song from Black Pumas. Interesting duo.

My known-to-me shout-outs today go to "The Rat" from The Walkmen, "In the Ghetto" from Elvis, and the song with a very long title from Love. I always like The Walkmen's stuff but forget to listen to them. Glad to see that one on the list today! I don't like much Elvis, but "In the Ghetto" and "Suspicious Minds" are big exceptions. And anything from Love automatically gets a heart.

Today was much more successful on the "new-to-me" songs. In addition to MGMT and Golden Smog, which I already mentioned, the Ben Harper song was smooth and sexy, the John Mayer one was surprisingly not awful, and I even liked one from something called "Mastodon." Great playlist today!!
The song with the very long title is from Forever Changes. You haven’t heard that album in its entirety?

Favorite new-to-me from today:

The Rat -- The Walkmen (Rockaction). I'm not sure if I've heard it before or not. In the GP4 thread I told the story of randomly being invited to a frat party at Penn (by the same guy who introduced me to My Morning Jacket) where these guys were playing. I stood by the side of the stage, slackjawed, staring at the drummer the whole time. He was incredible. I have no idea if this song was played at that show or even existed at the time, but it reminds me of that day.
The Woman in You -- Ben Harper (Manster). Harper's vocal on this is incredible. It sounds like Robert Plant in spots. I don't say things like that lightly.
Precious Stones -- Mastodon (KarmaPolice). Is this math rock? It sounds a little math-y to me. Anyway, this is another track with incredible drumming.
Good question. I am not great with subgenres, but my gut said no. When I think of math rock, I think the sound of the guitars also acting as drums - like Mars Volta or Meshuggah. Mastodon's guitars are typical metal, but Brann's drumming is something a bit different. I always go back to having the feeling when I am listening to them that the guitars sound like they are trying to catch up to the drumming. When I try to picture the drums or play along in my mind it feels like there are always a few more drumbeats than I expect or he's going slightly faster than I expect.

Anyway, this was the drummer that I was referring to a bit ago as being what I would want to sound like if I had the skill. Like your description of watching the drummer above, that was what is was like when I saw Mastodon open for Opeth this year - just staring at him drum for the setlist. It was nuts. Opeth's drummer is no slouch, either. HERE is my most watched Youtube video in the last year, it's Brann in the studio drumming to Precious Stones, so the drum sound is more isolated and even clearer how bananas the drumming is on this track.

The song with the very long title is from Forever Changes. You haven’t heard that album in its entirety?

Yes? I know the album very well; that song was in my "known-to-me" favorites. I just didn't feel like typing that long title, though I guess typing "the song with the very long title" was about the same number of keystrokes. :lol:

Unlike others I have bad news on the trip front. We canceled our trip to Florida because of Cassidy, our cat with lymphoma. We didn’t think he would survive if we left him for more than a week. He won’t let anyone other than us give him medications and he gets very stressed when even one of us is gone. Even if we boarded him, he’s immunocompromised so he might not survive that either. The good news is that his condition has not worsened and he is acting more like himself than he was in the months before his diagnosis. He is responding well to the steroid that he is on.

Yes? I know the album very well; that song was in my "known-to-me" favorites. I just didn't feel like typing that long title, though I guess typing "the song with the very long title" was about the same number of keystrokes. :lol:
Oh, I misread, I thought that was in the new group.

Unlike others I have bad news on the trip front. We canceled our trip to Florida because of Cassidy, our cat with lymphoma. We didn’t think he would survive if we left him for more than a week. He won’t let anyone other than us give him medications and he gets very stressed when even one of us is gone. Even if we boarded him, he’s immunocompromised so he might not survive that either. The good news is that his condition has not worsened and he is acting more like himself than he was in the months before his diagnosis. He is responding well to the steroid that he is on.

I was just thinking of him today! Wondered how he was doing, as well as Dr. O's dog Loki. I'm glad he's been doing so well!

I don't like much Elvis, but "In the Ghetto" and "Suspicious Minds" are big exceptions.
And of course those were the 2 I debated between for this list! It took 3 spins to make a decision, but while Suspicious Minds always gets me to want to dance (and I can't dance) the raw emotion of In The Ghetto always grabs my attention and for those 3 minutes I am that heartbroken mama on a gray Chicago morn.

Charity Contest Info and Standings, Now in the Top 10 Countdown!!

Everyone's selections:

Val Rannous - Song: Like a Rolling Stone, Bob Dylan. Artist: Bruce Springsteen.
Mrs. Rannous - Song: Rock and Roll High School, The Ramones. Artist: Bob Dylan.
Uruk-Hai - Song: Purple Rain, Prince. Artist: Stevie Wonder.
Pip's Invitation - Song: Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana. Artist: Stevie Wonder.
Neal Cassady - Song: Let's Stay Together, Al Green. Artist: Stevie Wonder.
Hov34 - Song: Superstition, Stevie Wonder. Artist: Stevie Wonder. (Tiebreak: Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana)
Chaz McNulty - Song: Fast Car, Tracy Chapman. Artist: Bruce Springsteen.
Dr. Octopus - Song: Hallelujah, Jeff Buckley. Artist: Stevie Wonder.
Falguy - Song: Born to Run, Bruce Springsteen. Artist: Tom Petty.
DrianMalcom - Song: Superstition, Stevie Wonder. Artist: Stevie Wonder. (Tiebreak: American Girl, Tom Petty)
Ilove80s - Song: Good Vibrations, The Beach Boys. Artist: Tom Petty.
jwb - Song: Hotel California, The Eagles. Artist: The Allman Brothers Band.
The Dreaded Marco - Song: What a Wonderful World, Louis Armstrong. Artist: Prince.
New Binky the Doormat - Song: Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana. Artist: Tom Petty.
Just Win Baby - Song: What's Going On, Marvin Gaye. Artist: Tom Petty.
Don Quixote - Song: Superstition, Stevie Wonder. Artist: Stevie Wonder. (Tiebreak: God Only Knows, The Beach Boys)
AAABatteries - Song: Respect - Aretha Franklin. Artist: Stevie Wonder.

Songs that scored 22 points for today's selections:

Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana (x2)
Hallelujah, Jeff Buckley

Artists that scored 22 points for today's selections:

Stevie Wonder
Tom Petty
Bruce Springsteen
Bob Dylan

Total Scores as of Today:

New Binky the Doormat 240
Falguy 209
Ilov80s 206