What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Favorite Chris Ivory (1 Viewer)

Lavachebeadsman

Footballguy
For years now, we have all been clamoring for him to get a crack at a starting job. Sigmund Bloom in particular has been leading the charge. If he leaves the Saints and starts somewhere, I believe he will be a top 10 fantasy back. What do we think of him? Where will he end up?

Little write up about possible destinations

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see him getting a clear backup RB job somewhere. He's always banged up (even in a backup role) to be handed a starting gig. I see him signed somewhere to serve as short yardage/goalline backup (with a handful of other carries sprinkled in)

As far as free agent backs, I see him behind Reggie Bush, Mendenhall, Steven Jackson, D'Angelo Williams (released). And you never know with guys like McGahee, Blount, Donald Brown (if they'll return to current team). Plus you have a fresh crop of draftees he's competing with.

Always nice to speculate, but IMO it's s pipe dream to expect him to be handed a starting job, but I do expect to get perhaps a step closer to getting the opportunity to start.

I can see him getting a clear backup RB job somewhere. He's always banged up (even in a backup role) to be handed a starting gig. I see him signed somewhere to serve as short yardage/goalline backup (with a handful of other carries sprinkled in)As far as free agent backs, I see him behind Reggie Bush, Mendenhall, Steven Jackson, D'Angelo Williams (released). And you never know with guys like McGahee, Blount, Donald Brown (if they'll return to current team). Plus you have a fresh crop of draftees he's competing with.Always nice to speculate, but IMO it's s pipe dream to expect him to be handed a starting job, but I do expect to get perhaps a step closer to getting the opportunity to start.
Something that occured to me is maybe the goalline back in Chicago. Mike Bush was on a deal that can be cut after this year and with how he has been banged up this year, I can see him on his way out of town.

He would be a great fit for a team like the Steelers IMO, they love their physical RB's and he's more talented than Redman and Dwyer. I do agree that he's good enough to start, or at the very least get a decent amount of touches in a RBBC with a faster RB to compliment him.

He would be a great fit for a team like the Steelers IMO, they love their physical RB's and he's more talented than Redman and Dwyer. I do agree that he's good enough to start, or at the very least get a decent amount of touches in a RBBC with a faster RB to compliment him.
I actually just wrote an article about how the Steelers should sign him. I think giving the Steelers a talented and physical back, with more dedication to improving the O-line could make them a dangerous team again.

I'm a Saints fan, and I love Ivory but I have serious questions about his ability to stay healthy. Even as part time runningback he has struggled to stay on the field

I'm a Saints fan, and I love Ivory but I have serious questions about his ability to stay healthy. Even as part time runningback he has struggled to stay on the field
Is he just one of those injury prone guys, or is it possibly his running style? Maybe becoming a starter will force him to change how he runs, which will reduce his effectiveness?

the staints sort of ruin backs for ff but up until this year it has worked out pretty good for a wins and loss colums perspective reggie has been prety good since leaving and i think tickel the ivories will be good somehwere else to like maybe in det or nyjs

the staints sort of ruin backs for ff but up until this year it has worked out pretty good for a wins and loss colums perspective reggie has been prety good since leaving and i think tickel the ivories will be good somehwere else to like maybe in det or nyjs
I just don't see Detroit giving up Leshoure this early.

For years now, we have all been clamoring for him to get a crack at a starting job. Sigmund Bloom in particular has been leading the charge. If he leaves the Saints and starts somewhere, I believe he will be a top 10 fantasy back. What do we think of him? Where will he end up?

He could start elsewhere but a Top 10 back? I don't think so.
I'm sure the same sentiment existed about Lynch. Look at this skill set. He is powerful and has shown enormous ability to get long runs. The one year that he was allowed to get in a rhythm, he averaged 5.4 yards per carry. If you give him goal line touches, that's the ingredients for a top 10 runner. Long runs an goal line touches.

I'm sure the same sentiment existed about Lynch.
When? Lynch was always projected to be a Top 10 back coming out of Cal and he was (for awhile) with the Bills, until FJax cut into his projection and he wound up in Seattle.Edit: I meant "production" not "projection."

I'm sure the same sentiment existed about Lynch.
When? Lynch was always projected to be a Top 10 back coming out of Cal and he was (for awhile) with the Bills, until FJax cut into his projection and he wound up in Seattle.
Buried in a timeshare with Spiller and Jackson (2010) no one was saying that. How quick we are to forget. 2 years ago, Ivory helped many a RB-Needy team. If he became a starter for Atlanta or Green Bay, I could easily see top 10.

I just don't see Detroit giving up Leshoure this early.
it depends i think on what happens wit h the coaching over thie off season the team gave up on shwartz last weekend we will have to se what happens teh last two weeks and if they change coaches you never know what they will do with player personnel i could honetsly see car ditching all of the rbs and bringing in new blood there to and nyj could really use a back and a qb man that is for sure take that to the bank

I'm sure the same sentiment existed about Lynch. Look at this skill set. He is powerful and has shown enormous ability to get long runs. The one year that he was allowed to get in a rhythm, he averaged 5.4 yards per carry. If you give him goal line touches, that's the ingredients for a top 10 runner. Long runs an goal line touches.
Terrell Davis wasn't undrafted.You may want to revise that in your article.

----------

I'm not a fan of the undrafted RB to success stories....and then applying them to other undrafted RB's.

I agree Ivory will be in a better situation to produce next year. Probably direct back up in best case scenario, but it has nothing to do with Arian Foster/Holmes or the few of undrafted RB's that've had NFL success. Just like it'll have nothing to do with the thousands of undrafted RB's that amounted to nothing.

Terrell Davis wasn't undrafted.You may want to revise that in your article.

----------

I'm not a fan of the undrafted RB to success stories....and then applying them to other undrafted RB's.

I agree Ivory will be in a better situation to produce next year. Probably direct back up in best case scenario, but it has nothing to do with Arian Foster/Holmes or the few of undrafted RB's that've had NFL success. Just like it'll have nothing to do with the thousands of undrafted RB's that amounted to nothing.
Of course not. It does help to set a precedent. Something that people point to when indicating a players talent is their draft slot, so it is helpful to show that players who have come from a similar situation can be successful.

NY Jets, Steelers, Colts, Broncos, Packers, Falcons, Cardinals........are all teams he could potentially start for. Personally I would like to see him land on the Rams and have a chance to replace Steve Jackson when it is time.

'King of the Jungle said:
NY Jets, Steelers, Colts, Broncos, Packers, Falcons, Cardinals........are all teams he could potentially start for. Personally I would like to see him land on the Rams and have a chance to replace Steve Jackson when it is time.
How is the Rams line at runblocking?

No interest in him as a Packers fan. Can't stay healthy and I want to see the Packers get a starter who can excel as both a runner and receiver. Ivory is a poor receiver.

As I started reading this I thought he might be a good fit for my Packers squad. I don't think he would be handed a clear starting job but he seems to be the kind of RB they don't really have. He could be a power RB they are lacking and could really carve out a role if he proved himself.

As I started reading this I thought he might be a good fit for my Packers squad. I don't think he would be handed a clear starting job but he seems to be the kind of RB they don't really have. He could be a power RB they are lacking and could really carve out a role if he proved himself.
No interest in him as a Packers fan. Can't stay healthy and I want to see the Packers get a starter who can excel as both a runner and receiver. Ivory is a poor receiver.
Haha, well there seems to be some diverging opinions. I personally believe he is the perfect for the Green Bay Offense. Was Benson a good passing down back?

Was Benson a good passing down back?
He was more effective in the passing game than I expected him to be. He did pretty well there. I'm just not a big Ivory guy. Never have been. He runs hard, I'll give him that. But he doesn't always run well and he isn't versatile. I could see the merits behind an Ivory (power back)/Green (passing down back) combination but I'm old school. I'd like to see the Packers get one RB who they can lean on and go from there. I don't think Ivory is a special talent and I'd like to see the Packers get someone with more talent to really complement all they can do in the passing game.

He was more effective in the passing game than I expected him to be. He did pretty well there. I'm just not a big Ivory guy. Never have been. He runs hard, I'll give him that. But he doesn't always run well and he isn't versatile. I could see the merits behind an Ivory (power back)/Green (passing down back) combination but I'm old school. I'd like to see the Packers get one RB who they can lean on and go from there. I don't think Ivory is a special talent and I'd like to see the Packers get someone with more talent to really complement all they can do in the passing game.
Why can't they have both? In 2012, even the leading carrier in the NFL (Adrian Peterson) doesn't have 90% of his teams carries. Every team utilizes their version of a 3rd down back. I'm sure Ivory is strong enough to become a capable pass blocker. It would then be a matter of coaching.

Why can't they have both? In 2012, even the leading carrier in the NFL (Adrian Peterson) doesn't have 90% of his teams carries. Every team utilizes their version of a 3rd down back. I'm sure Ivory is strong enough to become a capable pass blocker. It would then be a matter of coaching.
They can have both and probably will in all probability. But like I said, I'm old school. I'd rather have one really good RB than two mediocre ones.

They can have both and probably will in all probability. But like I said, I'm old school. I'd rather have one really good RB than two mediocre ones.
Do you really believe that Ivory is mediocre? I think that if he was given a starting running back job, he would excel.

Do you really believe that Ivory is mediocre? I think that if he was given a starting running back job, he would excel.
I think he's slightly above-average at best. Again, I've never been a big fan. I don't think he's some unsung star who just needs an opportunity. I think he's a solid power back with durability issues who isn't useful in the passing game. For a pass-first team like the Packers he's not someone I would be interested in.

I think he's slightly above-average at best. Again, I've never been a big fan. I don't think he's some unsung star who just needs an opportunity. I think he's a solid power back with durability issues who isn't useful in the passing game. For a pass-first team like the Packers he's not someone I would be interested in.
The only issue I have with your statement is that I don't really think the Packer's really want to have the current run-pass ratio that they have. McCarthy has shown a willingness to commit to the ground game, but has done so with backs we know just aren't that good.

:goodposting: I look at someone like Michael Bush (better all around player) and showed in Oakland durable with the load with McFadden hurt. He was forced to settle on backup role.Ivory can't stay healthy as the 4th RB now. Nice to speculate, but this board has a bad tendency to overrate any upcoming free agent RB's (w/o regard to the new draft class & other free agent RB's with a better track record / more versatility)Better spot on a RB depth chart? Likely yes.Handed a starting spot as some believe? Not a chance.

:goodposting: I look at someone like Michael Bush (better all around player) and showed in Oakland durable with the load with McFadden hurt. He was forced to settle on backup role.Ivory can't stay healthy as the 4th RB now. Nice to speculate, but this board has a bad tendency to overrate any upcoming free agent RB's (w/o regard to the new draft class & other free agent RB's with a better track record / more versatility)Better spot on a RB depth chart? Likely yes.Handed a starting spot as some believe? Not a chance.
Who on Green Bay's roster or Arizona's or even Pittsburgh's scares you in relation to Ivory?

Who on Green Bay's roster or Arizona's or even Pittsburgh's scares you in relation to Ivory?
Again, your ignoring the free agents to be available. And the incoming draft class.Ivory will do well to land a backup job somewhere (perhaps even given as much as short yardage/power role). Feel free to think he's given more than that. Call me stunned that a 4th string RB that can't stay healthy is outright given an NFL starting RB job this offseason. :shrug:And Mendenhall is one free agent that will land a starting job before Christopher Ivory.

Again, your ignoring the free agents to be available. And the incoming draft class.Ivory will do well to land a backup job somewhere. Feel free to think he's given more than that :shrug:And Mendenhall is one free agent that will land a starting job before Christopher Ivory.
Some sort of bet that Ivory has more yards than Mendenhall next year? Mendenhall was disappointing when he was healthy.

Some sort of bet that Ivory has more yards than Mendenhall next year? Mendenhall was disappointing when he was healthy.
I'll gladly come in here and say good call. :thumbup: Mendenhall will have a market this offseason with 3 full seasons as bell cow and is just 26 next June (9 months older than Ivory). He wasn't impressive this year, but he's shown to able to handle the full load from 2009-11. He's just now 1 year removed from torn ACL. No one is Adrian Peterson and I think that's clouded the severity of the injury and the rehab. (It's unheard of what he's done this year in Minnesota and the level he's at. And completely carrying a otherwise bad offense w/o Harvin) Ivory hasn't been able to stay healthy for any duration as a bit RB piece there in New Orleans. He's shown to be a solid power guy in limited time. I expect the league to treat his eventual role as such.

I'll gladly come in here and say good call. :thumbup: Mendenhall will have a market this offseason with 3 full seasons as bell cow and is just 26 next June (9 months older than Ivory). He wasn't impressive this year, but he's shown to able to handle the full load from 2009-11. He's just now 1 year removed from torn ACL. No one is Adrian Peterson and I think that's clouded the severity of the injury and the rehab. (It's unheard of what he's done this year in Minnesota and the level he's at. And completely carrying a otherwise bad offense w/o Harvin) Ivory hasn't been able to stay healthy for any duration as a bit RB piece there in New Orleans. He's shown to be a solid power guy in limited time. I expect the league to treat his eventual role as such.
I think that you are probably right, he will be signed as a power back by a team who needs one, but I think that this role expands once he gets on the field. Ivory just strikes me as a very good runner and all of the tape that I have watched has confirmed that belief. I believe the exact opposite of Mendenhall. Think he is your average 3 yards and a cloud of dust plodder.

Not sure, I have zero carries logged behind that line. Lions should take a chance on him as well.

Not sure, I have zero carries logged behind that line. Lions should take a chance on him as well.
You think they give up on Leshoure this quick?

You think they give up on Leshoure this quick?
I don't think so, however they have two backs that are very similar (Leshoure and Bell). That offense missed explosion from the RB position. Not sure if he is a perfect fit but injecting some big play ability in the backfield is a must for the offseason.

I'd like to see the Colts roll with Ivory + Ballard, if they don't go for one of the Free Agent backs like Jackson, Mendenhall, Bush, etc.

How often are you going to spam your site?

Wrote about him here the other day, but with this Alex Green concussion news, you need to get him on your roster.
I actually just wrote an article about this very subject, if anyone's interested.

http://sportswunderkind.com/what-to-do-with-yourself-after-fantasy-football/
I actually just wrote an article about how the Steelers should sign him.

How often are you going to spam your site?

Wrote about him here the other day, but with this Alex Green concussion news, you need to get him on your roster.
I actually just wrote an article about this very subject, if anyone's interested.

http://sportswunderkind.com/what-to-do-with-yourself-after-fantasy-football/
I actually just wrote an article about how the Steelers should sign him.
My apologies. I've just been writing about stuff that I get from these boards. It's in response to these threads that I've been writing. I've gotten some positive feedback, and I'm sorry you don't feel that way. I'm just trying to provide a service. I've always posted the information and given the choice of clicking and I don't even have advertising so I'm making no money. I apologize if I've offended you

My apologies. I've just been writing about stuff that I get from these boards. It's in response to these threads that I've been writing. I've gotten some positive feedback, and I'm sorry you don't feel that way. I'm just trying to provide a service. I've always posted the information and given the choice of clicking and I don't even have advertising so I'm making no money. I apologize if I've offended you
It's far from the first time someone started a website and posted links to it on another far more popular site to try to drive traffic to their site. Some people just continue with the skeevy spamming and keep doing it til they get banned. Others stop because they're decent people. You seem like a decent guy.

It's far from the first time someone started a website and posted links to it on another far more popular site to try to drive traffic to their site. Some people just continue with the skeevy spamming and keep doing it til they get banned. Others stop because they're decent people. You seem like a decent guy.
Haha, well, appreciated man.

I love Chris ivroy. I think he runs hard and has decent talent. But do you guys really think whoever signs him will give him the starting job? I would think they'd sign him to be a back up short yardage type deal not a feature back. If he got a starting job though I think he could go nuts with it. What teams you guys think hell go to to compete for a starting gig?

I love Chris ivroy. I think he runs hard and has decent talent. But do you guys really think whoever signs him will give him the starting job? I would think they'd sign him to be a back up short yardage type deal not a feature back. If he got a starting job though I think he could go nuts with it. What teams you guys think hell go to to compete for a starting gig?
Prevailing thought seems to be that he'll sign somewhere as a primary back up and possiby force a timeshare.

Prevailing thought seems to be that he'll sign somewhere as a primary back up and possiby force a timeshare.
That's what I thought. Probably the best case scenario for a guy I'm going to add in my dynasty league hoping for him to get a chance. A few other options that I'm not sure would be any better.

That's what I thought. Probably the best case scenario for a guy I'm going to add in my dynasty league hoping for him to get a chance. A few other options that I'm not sure would be any better.
Maybe there is only a 25% chance he hit's, but if he does, he' ll be huge.

Users who are viewing this thread