What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fire up the Torain bandwagon...! (1 Viewer)

Just picked him up - welcome to my bench Torain...see ya McClain...
Wow. I can't believe the Torain hype here. Don't get me wrong - I've got him on my bench as a flier too, but someone like McLain is a known quantity, and aside from 1 bad game, he's been pretty reliable.No way would I drop McClain for Torain at this venture. But good luck, all the same :goodposting:

Wow. I can't believe the Torain hype here. Don't get me wrong - I've got him on my bench as a flier too, but someone like McLain is a known quantity, and aside from 1 bad game, he's been pretty reliable.No way would I drop McClain for Torain at this venture. But good luck, all the same :thumbup:
Depends on how badly you're leaning on that roster sopt. If McLain is your starter, flex, or spot starter then no - I probably wouldn't cut loose a known quantity for an unknown. However, Torrain clearly has more upside than McLain this season as well as in the future in keeper leagues. If McLain is languishing on the end of my bench, I'd drop him for Torrain in a Denver minute. JMHO

Wow. I can't believe the Torain hype here. Don't get me wrong - I've got him on my bench as a flier too, but someone like McLain is a known quantity, and aside from 1 bad game, he's been pretty reliable.No way would I drop McClain for Torain at this venture. But good luck, all the same :tinfoilhat:
as bad as the ravens offense has looked I would rather have 1/3 to half od the den rb stats/upside than anyone not named Macgahee. And Even then it's close.

I've been reading all of the hype about Torain but have been relectant to pull the trigger on him. I have been holding on to Perry since the beginning of the season but I think it's time to pull the plug and take a flyer on Torain.

nzranger said:
He'll give him a go eventually. :yucky:
Hopefully that's week 9! I've got to decide between keeping him or Pittman after the Miami game--so I'm counting on Shanahan giving some indication in that one week which way he intends to go...
Uh oh. You sir, have never had a Denver RB on your roster before.
It has been quite awhile! :D I really would have preferred to wait one more week to get two games with Torain active before having to decide--but would not have gotten Pittman to cover him this week, and that was key to the plan.

So it'll be a tossup. It'll be awfully nice if it works--and won't hurt much if it doesn't. :thumbup:

Meanwhile Pittman is worth playing a couple weeks right now.

BaBastage said:
Romofan said:
Wow. I can't believe the Torain hype here. Don't get me wrong - I've got him on my bench as a flier too, but someone like McLain is a known quantity, and aside from 1 bad game, he's been pretty reliable.No way would I drop McClain for Torain at this venture. But good luck, all the same :)
It's an upside play...I already have Gore, LJ, McGahee and Turner the Burner....Baltimore has looked like crapola with Flacco so I doubt I would ever start McClain. And I agree - McClain is a known quantity...a goaline back only. Akin to having Lendale White at this point. I'm either playing McGahee or if he's hurt I want no part of guessing between Rice and McClain. So taking a shot at a 50/50 Den back or possibly featured Den RB makes sense. Let someone else "guess" if McClain will get a goaline carry week to week.

Last edited by a moderator:
BaBastage said:
Romofan said:
Wow. I can't believe the Torain hype here. Don't get me wrong - I've got him on my bench as a flier too, but someone like McLain is a known quantity, and aside from 1 bad game, he's been pretty reliable.No way would I drop McClain for Torain at this venture. But good luck, all the same :)
It's an upside play...I already have Gore, LJ, McGahee and Turner the Burner....Baltimore has looked like crapola with Flacco so I doubt I would ever start McClain. And I agree - McClain is a known quantity...a goaline back only. Akin to having Lendale White at this point. I'm either playing McGahee or if he's hurt I want no part of guessing between Rice and McClain. So taking a shot at a 50/50 Den back or possibly featured Den RB makes sense. Let someone else "guess" if McClain will get a goaline carry week to week.
Good point regarding dynasty league value. I'm not sold that he'll outperform McClain through the rest of this year (I'm in a redraft).But he's been more than a goal line back. McClain's games his year have been:CIN 86 yards, 0 td'sCLE 66 yards, 2 td'sPIT 63 yards, 1 td'sTEN 51 yards, 1 td'sIND -2 yards, 0 td'sHe does appear to be trending downward, so that might be a concern.But since Torain's on my Roster, let's hope I'm wrong! :confused: Thanks for the healthy discussion!

All right. I drank the kool aid. Picked him up off the waiver wire. Seeya Ricky "Bongwater" Williams, hello Mr. Torain.

{NO KEEP}

GORE

TJONES

Deuce McAllister

McFadden

Torain

I have Torain in a leauge I'm desperate for a star RB in. Big longshot, but I was reassured with Pittman's performance...it shows Shanahan may actually keep one guy at the helm through a game if he performs.

It's a 2 RB 1 Flex spot league and I've:

Marshawn Lynch, MJD, Fred Taylor, Tim Hightower and Justin Fargas. That's a whole lotta mediocre right there.

Unclear where RB Torain will fit in Broncos' backfield

By Dan Parr

Oct. 16, 2008

From the time they drafted him, Broncos RB Ryan Torain has been billed as the team’s secret weapon. In April, Denver took Torain, out of Arizona State, in the fifth round and rather than have the media hype him as a steal, head coach Mike Shanahan did it himself, calling him a first-round talent. The reason Torain fell so far in the draft, the story went, was because of his injury history, which included a Lisfranc injury that cut short his senior season.

The legend surrounding Torain has only grown in the weeks since he suffered a dislocated elbow in training camp. As Denver’s three-headed backfield struggled to produce one go-to guy, the idea that Torain could become the running game’s featured back has become a popular one, according to close observers of the team.

There are high, and some might say delusional, expectations for a player who never even has taken a snap in the preseason, let alone a regular-season game. Torain will return to practice this week and he’s expected to make his debut on Nov. 2 at home against the Dolphins. However, the way we hear it, Torain’s presence might not bring the immediate impact some are expecting.

The Broncos’ three-man backfield — composed of Selvin Young, Michael Pittman and Andre Hall — has worked well thus far. Entering Week Seven, Denver ranked 10th in the NFL in rushing. If Young’s groin injury, which kept him out in Week Six, was aggravated or forced him to the sideline again, then some room for Torain could open up. Otherwise, there just isn’t a lot of space for him. Pittman has been a pleasant surprise and Shanahan needs his versatility as a solid rusher, blocker and receiver. Hall is an important piece, as well, because he’s a kick returner. Torain won’t contribute on special teams and insiders say his value to the team is limited at this point.

That said, the Broncos had an opportunity to put him on injured reserve, and they passed it up, even though he’d be out for nearly half the season. They clearly think he can make a difference down the stretch. We know Shanahan won’t hesitate to use a rookie running back. He did just last season with Young. It’s time to see if the fifth-rounder with first-round talent is worthy of all the talk.

:whistle:

BustedKnuckles said:

By Dan Parr

Oct. 16, 2008

There are high, and some might say delusional, expectations for a player who never even has taken a snap in the preseason, let alone a regular-season game.
Really...these kind of takes are getting tired... ALL players go into the league without having "even taken a snap in the preseason, let alone a regular-season game". That's why they call them rookies.

picked him up off the wire earlier this week, bye bye A Bryant - don't let the door hit you.

doubtful he'll get into my starting lineup this season, backing up MBIII and LBJ - but you never know. the rest of my RBs are fugly (S and Mo Morris along w/ Norwood in a 14 team league). my league only starts 2 (no flex RBs).

maybe he'll do something in the FF playoffs if he can put together a nice game or three prior to then.

I’m BACK.

And it feels great. It’s been a looooong time. When you add the couple of months I’ve been out here to the fact that I couldn’t play the end of my senior season, it’s about to be a full year since I’ve been on the field for a game. So being back at practice is great. That’s the only word to describe it. Great. I’m excited, just conversing with the guys, being out there, joking around — just having a great time.

I finally got to do it myself. That’s the difference. When you’re watching practice, you envision it and you wish you could do it. When you’re out there, you get to fulfill what you’ve been doing your whole life. And I didn’t get too winded when I was out there the past two days either, and I credit that to the trainers and how hard Coach Tuten’s been helping me condition since the injury.

As all of you know if you’ve been reading my blog, I’ve been itching to get out there for quite some time. I’ve been staying in meetings — I haven’t missed one since camp — lifting weights while the team was practicing, conditioning in the mornings with Coach Tuten and just doing everything EXCEPT playing.

Now all that’s gone and I’m just with the team. It feels good. It’s a good release now that I’m back on the field playing football. Like I told people after my first practice on Wednesday, it was huge for me mentally to get out there. It just relaxed me, getting back on the grass with some cleats and a ball. That’s all I needed.

I mean, that’s not ALL I need. Practice is great, but when I get to that game, it’s going to be even more of an energy burst.

I doubt that I’ll play Monday against the Patriots, but that’s going to be an experience by itself. Monday Night Football against one of the better teams recently in the NFL. It won’t be that much harder for me on the sideline, even though now I know exactly what I’d do if I was in the game in certain situations. I’ve just got to stay patient because I know I’m going to be out there soon. For now, I’m just helping the team out any way I can, as always.

So I’m excited. As you can tell. On a side note, sorry I’ve gotten away from answering some of your questions, but you all haven’t been asking me many lately. Let’s get that going again on both sides.

Check in next week, and until then my grandmother — Grammies — said it best.
Link

Give me a scouting report on this guy. IF he was No. 1, what would you expect? Is he a 3-down back? Is he a power back?

I have a conundrum w/ him...I have him on my IR and the only spot (have to active him this week) is that he'd be taking Selvin Young's roster spot. Basically, who has the most upside (realistic)...my thinking is that Young has had 1/2 the season, almost, and isn't doing a lot w/ it. Thoughts?

As far as Torains prospects are concerned, I see good and bad in the emergence of Pittman in the Denver backfield.On the negative side, Pittman appears to be firmly entrenched as the starter, even when Torain gets back on the field.On the positive side, it shows that Shanahan is open to having a single horse carrying this cart.
Pittman's not firmly entrenched as the anything. Pittman got the carries because Young was out. Pittman made a bid for more carries... but Young's averaging 5.7 ypc in limited action. Clearly that's working pretty well for him. When a back is averaging 5.7 ypc in a certain role, you don't cut that role to make more room for another back who is averaging 4.7 ypc. Young's going to keep getting his limited action until Pittman shows more than he showed last week.Also, I don't think Pittman has done anything to make the starter's seat safe from Torain. Pittman might be able to hold that seat once Torain returns, but he's not firmly entrenched. He's going to see some serious competition once Torain's back.
I have a conundrum w/ him...I have him on my IR and the only spot (have to active him this week) is that he'd be taking Selvin Young's roster spot. Basically, who has the most upside (realistic)...my thinking is that Young has had 1/2 the season, almost, and isn't doing a lot w/ it. Thoughts?
Torain has more upside. After a brief flirtation with the idea of giving Young more carries, Shanahan decided to stick with his "best in limited action" guns. Young won't get the carry bulk to really be a high-upside kind of guy. Torain might not, either... but upside's about what you MIGHT do, not what you MIGHT NOT do.

Broncs had Vernand Morency in for a tryout. :shock:
Now there's a curveball. :excited: Good stuff SSOG. It'll be interesting to see what happens week 9--it's after the Miami game that I'll have to choose between Pittman and Torain on my squad with its IR restrictions. In that league--with limited rosters--it's actually Selvin Young who's a free agent.

By Dan Parr

Oct. 16, 2008

There are high, and some might say delusional, expectations for a player who never even has taken a snap in the preseason, let alone a regular-season game.
Really...these kind of takes are getting tired... ALL players go into the league without having "even taken a snap in the preseason, let alone a regular-season game". That's why they call them rookies.
actually, posts like yours, gushing love for never-has-been players, is getting really, really old... :clap: and, perhaps thats why some are guppies, while others are sharks.

you'd fall into the guppie category since you believe the second coming of Earl Campbell is upon us ,week 9,when Torain presumably makes his NFL debut..

:clap:

I picked him up a couple of weeks ago in my dynasty league. I'm fairly set at RB and had Gore / Reggie / JLew / DMac / Michael Bush / Rudi at the time. I made the decision that Rudi was never going to start to me and was no longer worth having, so I dropped him for Torain. I have no realistic expectations, as Torain is currently an injured rookie. If he doesn't pan out ... hey, I dropped Rudi Johnson for him. However, if he turns into an even serviceable back ... hey, I dropped Rudi Johnson for him.

By Dan Parr

Oct. 16, 2008

actually, posts like yours, gushing love for never-has-been players, is getting really, really old... :pickle: and, perhaps thats why some are guppies, while others are sharks.

you'd fall into the guppie category since you believe the second coming of Earl Campbell is upon us ,week 9,when Torain presumably makes his NFL debut..

:shark:
I've been realistic all along about Torain. Show me where I've "gushed". Never have I compared him to an Earl Campbell.Nice try... shark :)

I think Torain will fit the Broncos scheme nicely. He is not a huge talent, but he is great at cutting once and running upfield. He should be able to put up nice numbers in the Denver system, but you have to keep in mind that Shanahan has shown a penchant for committee's in recent years so he may have to suffer through sharing his carries for quite a while.

He is still on my Waiver but then again I own Portis, MBIII, Graham , McGahee and Stewart.

I have thought about dropping Stewart but just cant. By the time I am ready to pick him up someone will have already grabbed him.

After 2 fumbles by Hall...Fire the Torain train up.

Hall= Shanny's doghouse.

Give me a scouting report on this guy. IF he was No. 1, what would you expect? Is he a 3-down back? Is he a power back?
I'd compare him to a raw version of Larry Johnson or Clinton Portis.
i know this is about Torain, but dude.....? LJ and CP are completely different types of backs. Do you even watch football?
Yes. Do you? :kicksrock:
Yes, i do and i would never compare a running back to both Portis and LJ because they probably couldn't be any MORE different types of running backs. Portis is a shifty smaller sized back who can cut back, juke, has amazing burst (or did at one time). While LJ is a bruiser who runs right at you if not through you. He is a big brusing rb - steady and consistent but also needs a good line that can open up nice lanes because if he gets by the first line of defense then he is going to run right over anybody in your secondary. Your comment is like saying, Torrain is like Brandon Javobs or Reggie Bush. Seriously, it's that much of a difference. Please enlighten me how they are the same? Other than that they have both had success in the NFL.edit to add: sorry bout the jack.

i know this is about Torain, but dude.....? LJ and CP are completely different types of backs. Do you even watch football?
I've never even seen him play, but I'd compare him to Darren Sproles, or Brandon Jacobs.

I've never even seen him play, but I'd compare him to Darren Sproles, or Brandon Jacobs.
I was thinking more like Dave Meggett, or Earl Campbell.

Users who are viewing this thread