What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fumble or Touchback (1 Viewer)

Was the Champ Bailey/Ben Watson play a fumble or touchback?

• Fumble

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Touchback

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

tombonneau

Footballguy
Pats fan with an obvious bias to what I thought the correct call was. I'm curious to do an objective poll as to what the typial fan thought was the "right" call.Please check any Broncos/Pats hate/love at the door and objectively vote as to what you would have ruled, along with any commentary if you feel necessary.Thanks.

Pats fan with an obvious bias to what I thought the correct call was. I'm curious to do an objective poll as to what the typial fan thought was the "right" call.

Please check any Broncos/Pats hate/love at the door and objectively vote as to what you would have ruled, along with any commentary if you feel necessary.

Thanks.
Bronco fan, but objectively, you can't tell. There is no camera angle that can show this. The only possible angle which could provide evidence either way was an overhead shot, which does not exist.

objectively, you can't tell. There is no camera angle that can show this. The only possible angle which could provide evidence either way was an overhead shot, which does not exist.
:goodposting:

Fumble that didn't go out of the back of the end zone. There was one camera angle that was decent enough to show this...All I can say about that was nice pick by Champ, and DAMN nice hussle by a big tight end in Ben Watson... :thumbup:

Pats fan with an obvious bias to what I thought the correct call was. I'm curious to do an objective poll as to what the typial fan thought was the "right" call.

Please check any Broncos/Pats hate/love at the door and objectively vote as to what you would have ruled, along with any commentary if you feel necessary.

Thanks.
Bronco fan, but objectively, you can't tell. There is no camera angle that can show this. The only possible angle which could provide evidence either way was an overhead shot, which does not exist.
Agree. Looked pretty close to me. That attempt by whoever was announcing the game to try to stop the replay and "watch where the ball is" when it was 20 yards past the goal line so he could draw a "straight" highlite between the pylon and the ball was pretty comical though.Regardless of whether it was correct or not, Watson without a doubt gets hustle of the year for that 130 yards jaunt from corner to corner to even make a call to be reviewed.

Dolphin fan, Patriot hater here.Bailey's left foot hit the pylon. The ball was fumbled IN FRONT of him. How is it geometrically possible that the ball went in front of his foot (a foot that was in the end zone) but did not go into the end zone itself?BTW, I clicked fumble in the poll and I meant to click touchback.

Dolphin fan, Patriot hater here.

Bailey's left foot hit the pylon. The ball was fumbled IN FRONT of him. How is it geometrically possible that the ball went in front of his foot (a foot that was in the end zone) but did not go into the end zone itself?

BTW, I clicked fumble in the poll and I meant to click touchback.
Are you sure? I haven't seen replays today, but I thought he got hit at at least the 1, well before he hit the pylon (if he did).

Bailey's left foot hit the pylon. The ball was fumbled IN FRONT of him. How is it geometrically possible that the ball went in front of his foot (a foot that was in the end zone) but did not go into the end zone itself?

I thought it was a Touch Down. I thought he fumbled the ball after it broke the plane. By the way I hate all 43 of the remaining teams from the AFC for various reasons, but was favoring NE as the lesser evil yesterday so I wanted it to be a touchback.

Fumble that didn't go out of the back of the end zone. There was one camera angle that was decent enough to show this...

All I can say about that was nice pick by Champ, and DAMN nice hussle by a big tight end in Ben Watson... :thumbup:
It doesn't need to go out the back of the endzone. It just needs to be fumbled short of the endzone and then through the endzone. Out the side a few inches in is good enough.

:goodposting:

I think there's no way it was a true fumble but it lacked any conclusive camera angle to prove it. I do not think it was a bad call, the refs made the call with what info they had, but I think it was wrong.

That attempt by whoever was announcing the game to try to stop the replay and "watch where the ball is" when it was 20 yards past the goal line so he could draw a "straight" highlite between the pylon and the ball was pretty comical though.
However comical it may sound the line would have given an accurate account of where the ball traveled.

That attempt by whoever was announcing the game to try to stop the replay and "watch where the ball is" when it was 20 yards past the goal line so he could draw a "straight" highlite between the pylon and the ball was pretty comical though.
I thought it was a pretty good idea, if Simms had the time to do it.

I think the refs had the angle to see it go out of bounds, but I hate that rule, so it's hard to get upset about it. The Broncos won, played a great game, and I wish them luck in the rest of the playoffs. I'd be curious to see the results of a poll about the pass interference call, though. Just thinking back to that still bothers me.

Sounds like a touchdown by this argument

Bailey's left foot hit the pylon.  The ball was fumbled IN FRONT of him.  How is it geometrically possible that the ball went in front of his foot (a foot that was in the end zone) but did not go into the end zone itself?

Not neccessarily. A foot can pass the line before the ball. I dont think anyone is arguing the ball came out before the endzone. Rather, where it eventually left the field of play.

The real question in my mind was:Champ Bailey -- out of shape or hot dogging itIt flabbergasts me to think a guy in the shape Champ is in was out of gas at the end of that run.

Bailey's left foot hit the pylon.  The ball was fumbled IN FRONT of him.  How is it geometrically possible that the ball went in front of his foot (a foot that was in the end zone) but did not go into the end zone itself?

Not neccessarily. A foot can pass the line before the ball. I dont think anyone is arguing the ball came out before the endzone. Rather, where it eventually left the field of play.
We're talking split seconds though.Impossible to call is my vote. They pulled a call out of their asses on the field and there was nothing that could make them overturn it. If I was the Pats I'd be much more ticked about the bogus PI call on Samuel, but that's a different topic. And they lost fair and square regardless.

edit - the fact that this poll is dead even at 25-25 proves my point

Last edited by a moderator:
The real question in my mind was:

Champ Bailey -- out of shape or hot dogging it

It flabbergasts me to think a guy in the shape Champ is in was out of gas at the end of that run.
Neither. He just didn't see Watson coming and slowed up. Just an innocent mistake. It's not like he held the ball out and hot-dogged it like Lett.

It flabbergasts me to think a guy in the shape Champ is in was out of gas at the end of that run.
Neither. He just didn't see Watson coming and slowed up. Just an innocent mistake. It's not like he held the ball out and hot-dogged it like Lett.
He said in the press conference afterwards that he both did not see Watson AND he was "gassed at the 30". You WOULD think that Champ would be able to sprint 100 yards, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

He said in the press conference afterwards that he both did not see Watson AND he was "gassed at the 30". You WOULD think that Champ would be able to sprint 100 yards, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
Well, I didn't see him getting burned much yesterday, so we'll just chalk it up to adrenaline. "Out of shape" makes me :lmao:

Here's a great picture of the fumble: http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/medi...ronxphotos3.jpg

Edit: Remember, too- the ball is BEYOND the pylon in that picture, rather than just going out of bounds. That means it went out of bounds a little bit to the left of where it was right at that moment.

I vote too close to overturn via replay. Remember, too, that the ref who ruled it out at the 1 had a much better view than any of the camera angles.

Well, remember that Champ sprinted to full speed, then had to slow down to break a tackle, then had to get back up to full speed. Meanwhile, Watson got to run unimpeded the entire way. Second, defenders get more tired during the course of the game that offensive players, as evidenced by the cliche "tire out the defense". You ever notice no one ever talks about an offense scoring quick because they don't want to tire THEMSELVES out? Dr. Z says it's because offensive players can take certain plays off- such as screens or sweeps to the opposite side, while defensive players have to run back and forth a lot more during the course of every single play.He certainly wasn't showboating.

Last edited by a moderator:
With Bailey hitting the pylon, I thought it went just to the right of (and therefore through the endzone) and should have been a touchback.However, to expect an official to run 100 yards THE OTHER DIRECTION from the play and then see a COMPETELY unexpected fumble clearly AND have a good view of the angle of where it was knocked out of his hand is asking way too much. For either team, it was what it was. It could have been called either way and neither team could really gripe about it.IMO, however they called it on the field was going to stand as no way would there have been any evidence to support overturning the call on the field.As for SSOG's picture, who really knows where the ball is in relation to out of boards . . .

Well, remember that Champ sprinted to full speed, then had to slow down to break a tackle, then had to get back up to full speed.
That's actually a great point that I had not considered. I can accept that this wasn't showboating now.

Thanks.
After the "tuck rule" game and the game where your DBs jobbed the Colts, I don't think Pat fans should do too much whining over this one particular call.

Users who are viewing this thread