What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game Thread W9 - New England v. Indianapolis (1 Viewer)

Full moon tonight, and it shows. Vinatieri misses two field goals including the clutch one to put the game away. Patriots can't win on a comeback drive. Belichick's overly fancy gameplan appears to hurt the Patriots, and Madden correctly calls them out on it.

Big congrats to Colts fans. It seems like Manning and the Colts have gotten past their inability to beat the Patriots in Foxboro.

I'm not concerned at all about Brady, but I'm still concerned about the Patriots' receivers. Of the four picks tonight, three were tipped by the receiver into the hands of the defender, and the fourth was tipped by the defensive line. The bounces didn't favor the Patriots, while the Colts won the game of inches on the fumble by Dillon and the TD reception by Harrison. This is still one of the most intriguing matchups in the NFL and arguably the best matchup we'll remember twenty years from now. Good game, and congrats again to the Colts fans on continuing the undefeated season.

Full moon tonight, and it shows. Vinatieri misses two field goals including the clutch one to put the game away. Patriots can't win on a comeback drive. Belichick's overly fancy gameplan appears to hurt the Patriots, and Madden correctly calls them out on it. Big congrats to Colts fans. It seems like Manning and the Colts have gotten past their inability to beat the Patriots in Foxboro. I'm not concerned at all about Brady, but I'm still concerned about the Patriots' receivers. Of the four picks tonight, three were tipped by the receiver into the hands of the defender, and the fourth was tipped by the defensive line. The bounces didn't favor the Patriots, while the Colts won the game of inches on the fumble by Dillon and the TD reception by Harrison. This is still one of the most intriguing matchups in the NFL and arguably the best matchup we'll remember twenty years from now. Good game, and congrats again to the Colts fans on continuing the undefeated season.
Classy post.

Was it just me or did that game seem kind of boring?
Yes because the patriots lost.*sigh*Cut Kevin Faulk. And by cut Kevin Faulk I mean lacerate him so he can never play another meaningful NFL game -_-Brady was ready to win the tie the game on that drive. Faulk clearly was not ready.
That cracks me up. Hey, Faulk's done his share of great things for the team so let's not pile up on him.Brady was ready to at least tie the game, but the problem is that the receivers probably weren't.

Yes because the patriots lost.*sigh*Cut Kevin Faulk. And by cut Kevin Faulk I mean lacerate him so he can never play another meaningful NFL game -_-Brady was ready to win the tie the game on that drive. Faulk clearly was not ready.
Not just the last one. The drive before he dropped the other one. Two easilly catchable balls. I like K. Faulk. He makes a lot of big plays. Okay, he hasn't made any this year, but he has made some in the past. But, he makes crucial mistakes (two tonight), and many, many fumbles at crucial times. It's why I was ready to cut him and develop Patrick Cobbs. Same player, younger and cheaper. They both make the same mistakes. I'm just tired of seeing the veteran Faulk make the same mistakes over and over in the crucial situations. Would they have tied it? We'll never know, because Faulk let the ball slip through his fingers. Even with Four TO's to that point, they were still in the game. Props to the D. They kept them in the game when the Offense was playing like crap. Props to Brady and the O. They appeared to be coming to life when they needed to. For once in my life I agreed with Madden. Enough with the cute crap. Just run the darn plays. You were cramming the ball down their throat. Stick with what was working. When they went back to it, they went back to success.

Watching that game I don't understand how it was not a 38-14 massacre by Indy. NE had no reason being in it at the end.

I think the only positive as a Pats fan you can take from this is the D buckled down and kept them in it. If the O held up their end of the bargain this game was winnable.

At the time Brady was driving at the end, NE had 4 TOs. Vs. Indy, you turn it over 4x you have no business with a chance to win at the end. But there they were.

If they take care of the ball, they'll have a chance to win in Indy in January.

As to the Colts, I don't think after the last two weeks anyone can justify any other QB in the league over Manning. He made some throws in this game that were just unreal. Hats off to him.

No go make a commerical you spoiled ####.

;)

Watching that game I don't understand how it was not a 38-14 massacre by Indy. NE had no reason being in it at the end.I think the only positive as a Pats fan you can take from this is the D buckled down and kept them in it. If the O held up their end of the bargain this game was winnable.At the time Brady was driving at the end, NE had 4 TOs. Vs. Indy, you turn it over 4x you have no business with a chance to win at the end. But there they were.If they take care of the ball, they'll have a chance to win in Indy in January.As to the Colts, I don't think after the last two weeks anyone can justify any other QB in the league over Manning. He made some throws in this game that were just unreal. Hats off to him.No go make a commerical you spoiled ####. ;)
:goodposting: It always seemed like it was a bigger lead than it was. I think it was the NE play calling that made it seem that way.

Wow. Manning won this game all on his own. Despite Indy's porous defense and the fact that they only rushed for 53 yards, they still managed to win. I guess this puts to rest the question of who's the better QB.

Not just the last one. The drive before he dropped the other one. Two easilly catchable balls. I like K. Faulk. He makes a lot of big plays. Okay, he hasn't made any this year, but he has made some in the past. But, he makes crucial mistakes (two tonight), and many, many fumbles at crucial times. It's why I was ready to cut him and develop Patrick Cobbs. Same player, younger and cheaper. They both make the same mistakes. I'm just tired of seeing the veteran Faulk make the same mistakes over and over in the crucial situations. Would they have tied it? We'll never know, because Faulk let the ball slip through his fingers. Even with Four TO's to that point, they were still in the game. Props to the D. They kept them in the game when the Offense was playing like crap. Props to Brady and the O. They appeared to be coming to life when they needed to. For once in my life I agreed with Madden. Enough with the cute crap. Just run the darn plays. You were cramming the ball down their throat. Stick with what was working. When they went back to it, they went back to success.
:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting:I was just yelling "Yes! First down! RUN THE BALL WITH MARONEY PLEASE" but instead Brady made a (good) pass to Faulk, who just couldn't handle it...

Full moon tonight, and it shows. Vinatieri misses two field goals including the clutch one to put the game away. Patriots can't win on a comeback drive. Belichick's overly fancy gameplan appears to hurt the Patriots, and Madden correctly calls them out on it. Big congrats to Colts fans. It seems like Manning and the Colts have gotten past their inability to beat the Patriots in Foxboro. I'm not concerned at all about Brady, but I'm still concerned about the Patriots' receivers. Of the four picks tonight, three were tipped by the receiver into the hands of the defender, and the fourth was tipped by the defensive line. The bounces didn't favor the Patriots, while the Colts won the game of inches on the fumble by Dillon and the TD reception by Harrison. This is still one of the most intriguing matchups in the NFL and arguably the best matchup we'll remember twenty years from now. Good game, and congrats again to the Colts fans on continuing the undefeated season.
Classy post.
I agree. Even though the second one was tipped, it was still a bad pass. two guys over the top, with tight coverage underneath. Ill advised. Sombody else had to be open. Brady forced it. I already gave him passes on the tip, and castigated Faulk for his drop and the tip to end the game. It matters, because there's no way we catch the Colts. They'll be the #1, and we'll be the #2. We can beat them in Indi, I have no doubt. We look a lot better this week than we did against Denver. The team is coming together. The defense was very good in the second half, and overall. Run D was great. Very good pass rush at times, against a great line. I said earlier. Even W. 4 TO"s, and playing ugly for much of the night, they still had a chance to win. That's the mark of a solid club. Yes, they lost to Denver at home, but I say they're the #2 team in the AFC right now, and it's a close #2 to Indi. Could have had this one, but they let it get away.

Agreed BF...I am still trying to figure out the Taunting call against Troy Brown...had to be the full moon!The Pats hurt themselves in this game as well. Gave up lots of yardage due to penalties. Add five turnovers in the mix against a great team like the Colts, and you are lucky you were still in the game most of the night.

Wow. Manning won this game all on his own. Despite Indy's porous defense and the fact that they only rushed for 53 yards, they still managed to win. I guess this puts to rest the question of who's the better QB.
I don't agree - Indy D earned their game checks tonight. They played better than I've ever imagined they'd play against Brady.

I had this conversation with a couple Patriots fan friends tonight. I said I wouldn't boo him. One agreed, the other said he would only boo him "in jest". I would much rather the fans have given him a standing O before the game. Regardless of what team he plays for, Adam Vinatieri should never have to pay for a drink in New England for the rest of his life.

Maybe Manning and his fleet of #1 draft pickt that he throws to? That he's been playing with for how many years? And how many rings has he put on their fingers in that time? How many times has he choked in the playoffs for the opportunity to win those rings? This debate has been put to rest. Manning is the better stat compiler, no doubt. Brady is the better QB. One game in November doesn't change that. I believe that makes the record about 9-3 Brady.

They weren't much for rushing but I don't think Manning won this thing on his own. I mean who could make that circus catch but Marvin Harrison for his 2nd TD there? I mean NE had perfect defense, the beer vendor knew where the ball was going and he just pulled that thing out of mid-air. That guy is a FREAK!And even thought the D gave up a ton of yards rushing they still made 5 heads up plays in 4 picks and a fumble recovery.It's tough being a Cincy fan here in Indy but my hats off to the Colts in two good wins in a row.Now Lord please take some of this away from Indy and pass down I-74 to Cincinnati. . . PLEEEEEZE! :)

If he was introduced before the game, he probably would've gotten a standing O. It's different when he's out there tyring to score 3 points for the opposition. Makes sense to me.

Agreed BF...I am still trying to figure out the Taunting call against Troy Brown...had to be the full moon!The Pats hurt themselves in this game as well. Gave up lots of yardage due to penalties. Add five turnovers in the mix against a great team like the Colts, and you are lucky you were still in the game most of the night.
Yeah, that was a strange one. Flip the ball to the ref, get called for taunting. But, the five first downs off of penalties were a HUGE factor, and the five TO's. Think back to Bracy's first year. He had four INT's in a game in Denver, and we know how that season ended. There may be a silver lining. I don't know if there was a full moon that night. But I was at Invesco that night, and I was one somber Pats fan, becasue we had the game won, and we had four picks in the fourth quarter, with David Patten even throwing one. Of course I went to the game with a couple of Broncos fans too, and had to even ride home with them.

With Bob Sanders back for the Colts, I fully expected them to play better on Defense. I also was a little surprised by the gunslinger approach by Belichick by going for the 4th downs.

To me it showed a bit of desperation?!

The biggest thing I learned from this game:

If Cris Collinsworth picks your QB as a nominee for player of the week before the game even starts - just do as much reverse-voodoo stuff as possible to reverse that kiss of death.

The biggest thing I learned from this game:

If Cris Collinsworth picks your QB as a nominee for player of the week before the game even starts - just do as much reverse-voodoo stuff as possible to reverse that kiss of death.
I have nothing against brady, or the pats(after two years, the loss in the AFC championship doesnt really sting so much anymore) but i was hoping for an unprecedented meltdown in this game. Just to spite that stupid bobblehead lookalike cris collinsworth. What an idiot.

monkeysee said:
Wally Cleaver said:
The patriot fans who booed are complete idiots... It's as simple as that.
He plays for the enemy dingleberry!
This is the correct response. A lot of people on this board seem out of touch with this, for whatever reason. The fans want to have fun. Vinatieri basically committed treason by not just leaving the Patriots, but signing with their biggest rival. And so he gets booed. For fun. Sometimes I think this board is psychotic. One the one hand, among yourselves, behind everyone's back, behind a computer terminal, many here mercilessly rip and attack players, coaches, fans, each other. And you have no problem with this. But when a group of fans at a football game boo, some of these same people get bent all out of shape.That entire philosophy is so backwards to me. At a football game, you are probably drunk or worse. Or you expect the guy next to you to be. You aren't expecting intellectual stimulation. Just have fun. So who cares about booing really? But here, on a message board, you can actually have intelligent conservation. But here you get personal attacks and name-calling and just outright nastiness. And then they turn around say "Ooh! that public figure should stay classy!" :loco:

Being a ranger fan, I remember when Messier and Leetch returned to New York in "enemy" gear after leaving the Rangers and were greeted by cheers and official tributes by the Rangers.

For a player was recently so instrumental to Patriots wining some titles, perhaps an ovation the first time Viniteri took the field was in order as a show of gratitude and respect... than boo away!

proninja said:
Thorn said:
If he was introduced before the game, he probably would've gotten a standing O. It's different when he's out there tyring to score 3 points for the opposition. Makes sense to me.
You don't actually believe this, do you?
:bowtie:

proninja said:
Thorn said:
You don't actually believe this, do you?
I absolutely believe this. Look at what happened to Johnny Damon - his first at-bat back at Fenway, he got about a 50/50 mix of boos and cheers. Every time thereafter, he's just been flat-out booed. Since Adam Vinatieri did far more for the Patriots than Damon did for the Sox, and since the Colts aren't hated around here anywhere near as much as the Yankees are, I'd bet dollars to donuts that the fans would have given him a tremendous standing ovation if he was announced during a pregame introduction. Of course there'd be a few morons who would boo him, but every team has a few meat-head fans. We love Adam Vinatieri and always will, but of course he is going to get a reaction when he's kicking for the other team, and we're obviously not going to be cheering him on against the Patriots.

Only undefeated team. They beat my Pat's Sunday Night !!

Certainly deserve to be #1 in all Power Rankings at this Point !!

Props Sunday night go to Bob Sanders and HOF shoe in's Marvin Harrision and Peyton Manning !!!

Their defense surprised me !!

For now at least they ARE the class of the NFL !!

Congrats to guys like Pizzatyme & Dicolts who were pretty close to right on !!

Tough loss.

Hats off to the Colts, their fans, and especially Peyton Manning. He picked us apart all night.

This was obviously not Brady's finest hour, but he didn't play as poorly as his numbers would indicate. I had gained a lot of confidence in our receivers after last week, but now I guess it's back to square one with that.

It was great seeing the rookie hit the 49 yard field goal, but you can't really have much confidence in him quite yet after he missed so badly on his next attempt. He's got a hell of a leg, so hopefully he can get things straightened out.

I'm not going to lie, it was nice to see Vinatieri miss twice. I'll always be a fan, but not when it's against the Pats.

I really, really hope Rodney Harrison's injury isn't serious. I was horrified at first, because the way he was positioned when he was down on the ground after the play, it looked like it might be another knee injury. I'm glad it was his arm, and I hope he'll be ready to go next week. I don't want to think about another season without him back there.

Kevin Faulk... I don't know. He's been here for awhile now, and he's made a number of big plays for us over the years. He's a nice 3rd down back and all, but I've never been fully confident in him, mainly because of his fumbling issues over the years. But tonight, there was just no excuse for not catching that last pass.

I hope these two teams meet again in the playoffs. The Patriots need to get better after losses to Denver earlier in the season and now Indy tonight, both losses coming at home. The receivers need to start holding onto the ball. And although I've always defended the Patriots handling of his situation, I have to admit the obvious: we missed Deion Branch in this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only undefeated team. They beat my Pat's Sunday Night !!Certainly deserve to be #1 in all Power Rankings at this Point !!Props Sunday night go to Bob Sanders and HOF shoe in's Marvin Harrision and Peyton Manning !!!Their defense surprised me !!For now at least they ARE the class of the NFL !!Congrats to guys like Pizzatyme & Dicolts who were pretty close to right on !!
I thought the Pats were going to win. Pizzatyme got it right. The Colts D surprised me, too.

Observations...

- pizzatime was right; that's irritating. :D

- Sanders changes the face of that defense

- Hey Tom, how about not throwing into double coverage when your receivers are not studs?

- Hey Faulk, next time catch the ball.

- Ben Watson, Mr. Small Time player (the bigger the play, the lower the catch percent).

- thankfully it's only regular season and Harrison didn't play (that's for you pizza) :D

Only undefeated team. They beat my Pat's Sunday Night !!Certainly deserve to be #1 in all Power Rankings at this Point !!Props Sunday night go to Bob Sanders and HOF shoe in's Marvin Harrision and Peyton Manning !!!Their defense surprised me !!For now at least they ARE the class of the NFL !!Congrats to guys like Pizzatyme & Dicolts who were pretty close to right on !!
Just protecting against a "bandwagon" label sometime in the future, I predicted Indy 32-28......

I really, really hope Rodney Harrison's injury isn't serious. I was horrified at first, because the way he was positioned when he was down on the ground after the play, it looked like it might be another knee injury. I'm glad it was his arm, and I hope he'll be ready to go next week. I don't want to think about another season without him back there.
You know, I remember a few years ago when the NFL started to crack down on bad injury reports. So what was the deal with the Pats saying that Harrison's return was probable? Did he ever even come back out of the lockerroom? The NFL's definition of "probable" is a virtual certainty. BB has been playing games with the injury report for years now with absolutely zero done by the league about it. Now other teams are doing the same thing. Something like a third of the players for last night's game were on the injury report. That's just ridiculous. What's the point of even having the injury report if it's just going to be meaningless?

Thorn said:
I was at the game. When he came out of the tunnel, he was way ahead of the rest of the team, as kickers usually do. He got a standing ovation from what I could tell. You didn't see that on TV.

Observations...- pizzatime was right; that's irritating. :D - Sanders changes the face of that defense- Hey Tom, how about not throwing into double coverage when your receivers are not studs?- Hey Faulk, next time catch the ball.- Ben Watson, Mr. Small Time player (the bigger the play, the lower the catch percent).- thankfully it's only regular season and Harrison didn't play (that's for you pizza) :D
:bowtie: Now seriously, this was a pretty sloppy game on both sides. Like I've been saying for a while, Sanders is the Key to the Colts stopping the run. They also miss Simon, but that's water under the bridge.The Pats are easily the 2nd best team right now in the AFC. Maybe the tide has turned for the Colts. But after last season, I make no assumptions about the playoffs.Pizza's Power poll:Colts #1NE #2Denver #3Giants #4Chargers #5No Bears, only 1 NFC team makes it. They are just simply a weaker conference.

Observations...- pizzatime was right; that's irritating. :D - Sanders changes the face of that defense- Hey Tom, how about not throwing into double coverage when your receivers are not studs?- Hey Faulk, next time catch the ball.- Ben Watson, Mr. Small Time player (the bigger the play, the lower the catch percent).- thankfully it's only regular season and Harrison didn't play (that's for you pizza) :D
:bowtie: Now seriously, this was a pretty sloppy game on both sides. Like I've been saying for a while, Sanders is the Key to the Colts stopping the run. They also miss Simon, but that's water under the bridge.The Pats are easily the 2nd best team right now in the AFC. Maybe the tide has turned for the Colts. But after last season, I make no assumptions about the playoffs.Pizza's Power poll:Colts #1NE #2Denver #3Giants #4Chargers #5No Bears, only 1 NFC team makes it. They are just simply a weaker conference.
Keep your eyes on Baltimore now that Billick is making the (2001-style) play-calling.

Keep your eyes on Baltimore now that Billick is making the (2001-style) play-calling.
Great Defense. I'm just not sold on their Wrs and I think until Jamal explodes for 125/2 that teams will continue to load the box against them.Probably #8 for me behind the #6 Bears, #7 Saints

Thorn said:
I was at the game. When he came out of the tunnel, he was way ahead of the rest of the team, as kickers usually do. He got a standing ovation from what I could tell. You didn't see that on TV.
I am so smart I can hardly stand myself. :bowtie:

The thing is, a few years ago the Pats would have made a game plan, stuck to it and executed. It would have consisted of running the ball all game and controlling the clock as well as getting after Manning.

The last few seasons the Pats have been psyched out a bit, and played right into the Colts hands. Trying to play "catch up" before they were even down. And then we dug ourselves in a whole and had to play catch up and just couldn't keep up, pass for pass with Indy.

The Pats have to believe, as they did two and three years ago, that they CAN beat any team by sticking to their game plan and believing in the system. They used to throw other teams off of their plan and that was how they won so many games. The Colts made the Pats try to play a different style game and it worked.

This was a mental loss for the Pats. Congrats to the Colts, but I still believe that this was a winable game that was just a blown opportunity.

The Pats are easily the 2nd best team right now in the AFC.
Even as a Pats fan, I can't put them ahead of Denver after what happened earlier this season. I think it goes Indy, Denver, New England, then a bit of a drop-off to Baltimore at the 4-spot.

Even as a Pats fan, I can't put them ahead of Denver after what happened earlier this season. I think it goes Indy, Denver, New England, then a bit of a drop-off to Baltimore at the 4-spot.
Was thinking the same thing about the Pats not being #2. Don't rule out the Chargers in your list either.

Easily? Get real. Denver, NE, and Baltimore are all 6-2 and the Broncos have beaten both of them, not to mention that the win against the Patriots was AT New England.
Denver beat the Pats early in the year, before Brady has had a real chance to work with his WRs.I guess I've seen both teams, and I'd EASILY rank the Pats ahead of the Broncos.They both run the ball well, the Pats D is as good as the Broncos. Brady is way better than Plummer.I also think the Pats will get the #2 seed, which means the Broncos go on the road again. And probably lose again.The Ravens are the best of a bad division.

Denver beat the Pats early in the year, before Brady has had a real chance to work with his WRs.
New England scored 24 the week before they played Denver, and 38 the week after they played Denver. In short, they have been scoring points all season, except in the Denver game.
They both run the ball well, the Pats D is as good as the Broncos.
That is debatable.
I also think the Pats will get the #2 seed, which means the Broncos go on the road again.
Given the fact that the Broncos have a much more difficult schedule down the stretch, I also think NE will probably get the number 2 seed.
The Ravens are the best of a bad division.
Yeah, and the same could be said for the Patriots and the otherwise pitiful AFC East. It is also worth noting that the Patriots have zero wins this season over teams that currently have a winning record. Denver has 3.

Yeah, and the same could be said for the Patriots and the otherwise pitiful AFC East. It is also worth noting that the Patriots have zero wins this season over teams that currently have a winning record. Denver has 3.
I think this is an important point. The Pats have looked good recently before last night, but just like every other team in contention, they have something to prove, too.

Denver beat the Pats early in the year, before Brady has had a real chance to work with his WRs.
New England scored 24 the week before they played Denver, and 38 the week after they played Denver. In short, they have been scoring points all season, except in the Denver game.
That is debatable.
I also think the Pats will get the #2 seed, which means the Broncos go on the road again.
Given the fact that the Broncos have a much more difficult schedule down the stretch, I also think NE will probably get the number 2 seed.
Combined record of teams the Colts have played(not including their result against the Colts)34-22 The Colts are 8-0Combined record of the teams the Broncos have played(not including their result against the Broncos)33-23 The Broncos are 6-2Combined record of the Pats opponents(not including their result against the Pats)32-24 The Pats are 6-2So, the Colts have a better record against opponents who also have a better record against the league.To be honest, I hope the Broncos keep on winning and keep the Chargers from the playoffs. I'd rather face the Broncos than the Chargers or Chiefs in the dome in the playoffs.

That is debatable.
This is misleading since the Jets, Bengals, and Vikes are all at 4-4.

pizzatyme said:
Ghost Rider said:
pizzatyme said:
pizzatyme said:
That is debatable.
pizzatyme said:
pizzatyme said:
This is misleading since the Jets, Bengals, and Vikes are all at 4-4.
Not to mention when they played the Jets, the game was for first place int he AFC East, and those same patthetic Jets played the Colts just as tights as the Broncos in a very similar game. The Bengals were the class of the NFL and undefeated until the Pats knocked them off, and very few people gave the Pats a chance at beating the Vikes last week, because we wouldn't be able to run the ball against them. All you can do is play the teams on the schedule. They're three quality wins, and the two losses were tight games. The Pats are far from in peak form, and they're improving every week. Nobody wants to see them in the playoffs. NOBODY. Nobody is saying that about your Broncos. They're no better than they were week 1, as they are every year. They peak early and fade. It's why, though I respect Shanny as a coach, they've won nothing without Elway. They've had talent. Had their coaching staff together for years after their Superbowl run, keeping the system in place, but yet they couldn't reach the the big game.

Users who are viewing this thread